Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

We may be confusing Irish retail v UK

They are about 10 percent pricier here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Point is non are going for the 3-5k premium the investors would have you believe. Yeah its cool you can wear a watch for a couple of years and still get out what you have in or near enough, but the fact that they are readily available out there at reasonable prices doesn't gel with the massive waiting lists and limited numbers the AD's tell you about, nor the massive investment potential purported. Something is fishy IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Point is non are going for the 3-5k premium the investors would have you believe. Yeah its cool you can wear a watch for a couple of years and still get out what you have in or near enough, but the fact that they are readily available out there at reasonable prices doesn't gel with the massive waiting lists and limited numbers the AD's tell you about, nor the massive investment potential purported. Something is fishy IMHO.

The notion of "investing" needs to be eradicated from watch forums. Imagine a fund where a minority of investors were delighted with a percentage return of their initial sum after a few years.

The BLNR is an interesting one. It was amongst the most popular models (still is) until a few months ago, with matching resale values. And then, around six months ago, the price started softening.

Now at the same time stories of BLNR availability started becoming more frequent. There seemed to be a number of posters on TRF just magically finding them in ADs. This is all anecdotal, but it does look that Rolex just started increasing the flow. And you have to imagine that these watches were all manufactured within a certain window and that Rolex are clearing inventory for storage and to manipulate the market for the BLRO. It really is just mania.

There's another thread on TRF in the last few days relating to the Milgauss GV. That they were going for over twice the RRP when released. There was the expectation that it'd be a limited edition and "investors" piled in. Now they keep lonely Airkings company in AD windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

You'd get at least 70% of your money back on a explorer 1 if you ever wanted to sell it I'd imagine? Better to enjoy a nice watch then having the money sitting on a bank?

But I wouldn't be buying with the intention of making money or "investing" I'd want to wear it and enjoy it not have it sitting in a safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

5 year old blnr on watchfinder is 10.5k euro.

New 1-2 years old 11.1k-11.4k euro

Keep on jumping. Still tempted by the blnr on adverts just to sit on it for 12 months and see where it goes but not worth the hassle.

Edit 5167....24k Euro on wf now.

Can’t read prices. Is that hulk 9.4k?

893bet wrote: »
    Can’t read prices. Is that hulk 9.4k?

yep £9.450 sterling and im betting its used :P

Yeah two tones are not hard to get.nice watch mind you.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Vostok or as he’s also known the guvnor is back

https://www.adverts.ie/16117795

As for the wait list he’s talking ****e because I was in Westfield shopping centre London last week and they have one in the window and when I enquirer the woman said they had five in stock

Reason for selling: profit

Did I just read that?

• Advertisement

If you search the McManus watch threads you will find out that there is more than a little something wrong with that guy, I wouldnt touch the watch with my bare hands yet alone buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

always wondered why he got banned

The new comments on the add are good! He is quiet the salesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Big step up from a vostok haha
    :p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have you any better pictures with better light please.
    No. The pictures are good enough.

What a strange man. And no, the pictures are not good.

Eoin wrote: »
    What a strange man. And no, the pictures are not good.

The chap that asked has 100+ positive feedbacks! The kinda person you want to deal with!

They he posts a wrist no hassle when asked.

Aside from attitude he has zero chance of selling on adverts at that’s price. Overpriced for a readily available watch and far to small a target market in Ireland.

• Advertisement

https://www.adverts.ie/16067204

He is gone back cap in hand....but not on his own add.

Lol!

Hi there!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

[IMG][/img]FCF4_BD00-3081-414_C-_B7_D0-5_F18_E4348302.jpg

Took some pics in Westfield shopping centre recently so no shortage or waiting list, it’s a tiny ad with very little selection.
    Vostok hasn’t a hope of selling that for profit

Have you seen a single desirable Rolex at list while there?

Come on spill the beans
    What happened with Vostok on your listing

Nothing. I assume he saw my thread on here “McManus is back” then started that!

Strange chap.

• Advertisement

wildly, you would probably pay WF £11k for a stickered new one and that would be top of the market.

God loves a trier by 14k is miles out, knowing adverts mind you somebody will offer 5k and a chipvan and then you finally meet somewhere in the middle at around the right price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

you are correct, we all know how adverts works with low ballers, you are around long enough to know this, this is why I put a guide asking price for 14,450 to deter the low-ballers, realistically I would be looking for around the 12 mark which is a average price considering the market for one in my condition.

God loves a trier by 14k is miles out, knowing adverts mind you somebody will offer 5k and a chipvan and then you finally meet somewhere in the middle at around the right price.

A+-Guru wrote: »
    you are correct, we all know how adverts works with low ballers, you are around long enough to know this, this is why I put a guide asking price for 14,450 to deter the low-ballers, realistically I would be looking for around the 12 mark which is a average price considering the market for one in my condition.

Hey man good to come on and defend the price. I understand where you are coming from. 12k is not absurd for a hulk in that condition. I assume you have it on chromo 24 too. Adverts is a limited market, and even though I have 100 transactions on adverts I would balk at that sort of a buy on the platform. Good luck with the sale, thats a nice piece.

BTW Phase change coolers, PC tech, expensive watches....if your into cars we should marry :)

have a nice day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

He is banned from this forum. Probably still reads the comments here. Steer clear!

I hear a 3rd line assembly line is coming to Rolex :D

Tbh I only put it up to test the waters if there is interest in it, I payed very near to 12k for it myself in December so I am not out to try do a flipping for profit over RRP. I do like it and really I am not pushed to sell it either.

Yes I used to be big into cars, I had a Mitsubishi EVO 5 for nearly 10 years, rebuilt and pushing over 400hp :D

Hey man good to come on and defend the price. I understand where you are coming from. 12k is not absurd for a hulk in that condition. I assume you have it on chromo 24 too. Adverts is a limited market, and even though I have 100 transactions on adverts I would balk at that sort of a buy on the platform. Good luck with the sale, thats a nice piece.

BTW Phase change coolers, PC tech, expensive watches....if your into cars we should marry :)

Tbh I only put it up to test the waters if there is interest in it, I payed very near to 12k for it myself in December so I am not out to try do a flipping for profit over RRP. I do like it and really I am not pushed to sell it either.

Yes I used to be big into cars, I had a Mitsubishi EVO 5 for nearly 10 years, rebuilt and pushing over 400hp :D

Take off the stickers and wear it!

What else is in the collection?

I will pm you, but you're inbox is full

Take off the stickers and wear it!

What else is in the collection?

• Advertisement

I will pm you, but you're inbox is full

Cleared some space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I've had my day down for a GMT Pepsi, second on the list. The first lad got his this summer and the AD said they were hoping for another in Q1 2019, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Trade for a 5711!

One can dream :D

Hulk approaching 13k on watchfinder. Was just a touch over 12k a few posts above!
    https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/Submariner/116610%20LV/16940/item/121585

Blnr also breaking the 12k mark.
    https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/122679

Assume they are selling at this prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

absolute madness

Hulk approaching 13k on watchfinder. Was just a touch over 12k a few posts above!
    https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/Submariner/116610%20LV/16940/item/121585

Blnr also breaking the 12k mark.
    https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/122679

Assume they are selling at this prices.

hulks appear to be on a non stop increase

i wonder are they actually achieving these prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

username?! wrote: »

i dont see the batman appeal, id just buy a regular 116710 and pocket the difference,

Hulk v a regular sub is more of a departure

disclaimer i own a hulk and a regular 116710 :pac:

• Advertisement

username?! wrote: »

Watchfinder price is not the greatest measure. A better measure is what are watchfinder paying for the watch from the private seller.

I would assume around 8.5-9k is fair for private sale. A bargain compared to watchfinder price. Just a smidge above retail.

Cyrus wrote: »
    hulks appear to be on a non stop increase

i wonder are they actually achieving these prices?

Hard to know. I have been keeping an eye and sales seem slow enough. The one below has been there at least a month.

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/Submariner/116610%20LV/16940/item/121741

It’s true though! You could get a 5167 for 14k gbp 12 months ago (just a tad above list price).
    You won’t get one for less than 17 k gbp now on a private sale. Even that might be a stretch with WF selling for 21k +.

Can see a price rise on the 5167 this year similar to how the 5711 was hit last year as grey prices were so far ahead of list. Prices self ADs were raised 20%. I think greys surged even more then for second hand.

The above a post from me 10 weeks ago. 5167 were 21-22k gbp on watchfinder.

One there now at 26K gbp.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%20Philippe/Aquanaut/5167/1A-001/9567/item/122034

WF are pushing prices up at an incredible rate. Hard to see them selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

As the old saying goes.. they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them and those prices seem excessive.

This is a form of madness now. Funnily I was asking a Rolex ad if Tudors were flying out with the lack of any sports watches....he kinds said no...people are willing to wait/pay for the rolex. I am off the London in a few weeks I will have a good mooch around the shops and wee whats going on there. With Brexit around the corner and sterling potentially volitile if might be worth holding off for a while more......

I feel the Euphoria phase is coming to an end and everyone is working on the "greater fool" principle. Anxiety is coming next.

bubbles1.jpg

This is a form of madness now. Funnily I was asking a Rolex ad if Tudors were flying out with the lack of any sports watches....he kinds said no...people are willing to wait/pay for the rolex. I am off the London in a few weeks I will have a good mooch around the shops and wee whats going on there. With Brexit around the corner and sterling potentially volitile if might be worth holding off for a while more......

I feel the Euphoria phase is coming to an end and everyone is working on the "greater fool" principle. Anxiety is coming next.

bubbles1.jpg

theres a thread on tz-uk with people posting what rolex are available at ADs, it appears s/s sports models just arent available in London, but i hope you spot something!

• Advertisement

Hopefully fall off a cliff! Too many watches out of reach.

Unlikely to follow that trajectory IMO without a massive global downturn economy wise. I don’t think brexit would be enough. These watches are just as in demand globally. ADs in Ireland get calls everyday from America, Asia, Australia etc.

Not sure if many people are hold watches as “investments” that would panic and sell then. Or how many are in debt for that investment and are reliant on price increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Unlikely to follow that trajectory IMO without a massive global downturn economy wise. I don’t think brexit would be enough. These watches are just as in demand globally. ADs in Ireland get calls everyday from America, Asia, Australia etc.

Not sure if many people are hold watches as “investments” that would panic and sell then. Or how many are in debt for that investment and are reliant on price increases.

Can anyone remember what the Rolex market was like from 2009 on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Patek Philippe standard blue dial nautulus 5711 has gone up to crazy prices too. Somehow the demand has gone up, you can't get them new, so the €25k watch (steel, blue dial) is going for closer to €50k.

When your inside, invested or excited by a bubble you always think like that, soft landing, continuous upward trend without end, bubbles are by their very nature self contained systems and pop without external influence, they pop quicker if something big happens.

Rolex is like property, demand is high, supply is low, investors are in the market, hype and inherently bad value. I dont know when it will go south but it will. My grail SS Daytona is still looking very far away, buy the time its at a point I am willing to pay my confidence to pay that will be gone.

Not sure about Patek, dont know that much about the brand. I would have to acceed to the more expert opinion of others on that one.

When your inside, invested or excited by a bubble you always think like that, soft landing, continuous upward trend without end, bubbles are by their very nature self contained systems and pop without external influence, they pop quicker if something big happens.

Rolex is like property, demand is high, supply is low, investors are in the market, hype and inherently bad value. I dont know when it will go south but it will. My grail SS Daytona is still looking very far away, buy the time its at a point I am willing to pay my confidence to pay that will be gone.

Not sure about Patek, dont know that much about the brand. I would have to acceed to the more expert opinion of others on that one.

Patek is the very same, limited supply of s/s models, the irony is for the premium now attached to a 5711 you could buy a precious metal complicated model.

Daytonas have always been harder to get, i had a 116520 that i got at just about retail and sold it 6 months later :( but its an underwhelming enough watch on the wrist, pretty dainty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement