Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I think there'll be a huge crowd travelling, like were heading to 3 games, its a once in a lifetime expereicne to do it.. and we know a good few others form limerick heading!

Does any of ye know when on thursday is our cut off for buying?
    What do you see as a huge crowd?
    Wont be anything near the numbers of irish in New Zealand in 2011.
    Yes its once in a lifetime but costs of Japan are so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexfordhun

What do you see as a huge crowd?
    Wont be anything near the numbers of irish in New Zealand in 2011.
    Yes its once in a lifetime but costs of Japan are so expensive.

Because like Benny, everyone i seem to talk to wants to book whatever the cost and because confidence in the team has never been so High.
    Might not be close to attendance numbers in Nz but will have much more people travelling for it.
    I do think Scotland and Japan will be sell outs as well as the 1/4 finals. Remember, the Irish, Scottish, South Africans and Kiwis will be looking to but 1/4 final 2 and 4 tickets just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Thanks for the input guys - still haven't been able to make payment. The 'make payment' button has disappeared.

Just an update if anyone has the same issue - came back 24 hours later and the payment button had reappeared, it all worked fine this time.

On to planning! Tried to look for accommodation in Kobe for the Ireland game there, but there is nada available - anyone any thoughts on whether it's already booked solid or too far out for rooms to be released?

I was in New Zealand for 2011 and do expect a lot to travel for this. However there seems to be a sense that lots of tickets will become available through ticket exchange very close to the matches.

Re: the payment window if you got tickets in the ballot, it says on the email
    "You have until 23:30 (JST) on Thursday, 19 July 2018 to pay for your tickets" - which is (according to Google) 15:30 on Thursday. However, I'd say to try to not leave it to the last minute - as lots of people are reporting problems paying (including me.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just an update if anyone has the same issue - came back 24 hours later and the payment button had reappeared, it all worked fine this time.

On to planning! Tried to look for accommodation in Kobe for the Ireland game there, but there is nada available - anyone any thoughts on whether it's already booked solid or too far out for rooms to be released?

I was in New Zealand for 2011 and do expect a lot to travel for this. However there seems to be a sense that lots of tickets will become available through ticket exchange very close to the matches.

Re: the payment window if you got tickets in the ballot, it says on the email
    "You have until 23:30 (JST) on Thursday, 19 July 2018 to pay for your tickets" - which is (according to Google) 15:30 on Thursday. However, I'd say to try to not leave it to the last minute - as lots of people are reporting problems paying (including me.)

It's probably way too far out, I've managed to book a hotel the night of the semi final but haven't tried anymore until I've booked my flights and set the dates in stone. Try Airbnb though.

wexfordhun wrote: »
    Because like Benny, everyone i seem to talk to wants to book whatever the cost and because confidence in the team has never been so High.
    Might not be close to attendance numbers in Nz but will have much more people travelling for it.
    I do think Scotland and Japan will be sell outs as well as the 1/4 finals. Remember, the Irish, Scottish, South Africans and Kiwis will be looking to but 1/4 final 2 and 4 tickets just incase.
    There still wont be more irish in Japan than was in New Zealand.

Do you reckon the partners will be worth a ****? I'm looking at my flight options and although I can't buy yet, I wonder if the Emirates sponsorship will tie into any deals for ticketholders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There still wont be more irish in Japan than was in New Zealand.
    The NZ RWC was in the depths of the recession. There'll be more people now that would have the wherewithal to travel to Japan. They've already exceeded their plan for tickets sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The NZ RWC was in the depths of the recession. There'll be more people now that would have the wherewithal to travel to Japan. They've already exceeded their plan for tickets sold.

Huge is relative I guess. I expect people will want to go but few will spend the 6 weeks there. I'd expect they will travel for part only so that splits demand too

Around 7500 travelled to NZ

Even if 10000 or 15000 travelled (which I doubt) The stadium for QF is over 50000 capacity

The stadium for Scotland game is over 70000

I think smallest is 30000

You need to look at it in that context

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Riskymove wrote: »
    Huge is relative I guess. I expect people will want to go but few will spend the 6 weeks there. I'd expect they will travel for part only so that splits demand too

Around 7500 travelled to NZ

Even if 10000 or 15000 travelled (which I doubt) The stadium for QF is over 50000 capacity

The stadium for Scotland game is over 70000

I think smallest is 30000

You need to look at it in that context
    I never said it would be huge numbers. I just took issue with TLS saying the numbers would be less than went to NZ in 2011. Which from the above, I assume you agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Samoa confirmed in Ireland's RWC pool.

"Samoa will complete Ireland’s Pool A at next year’s Rugby World Cup as they eased to victory over Germany in Heidelberg on Saturday.

The 14-point victory in the second leg of the Oceania/Europe playoff, combined with the 66-15 first leg win in Apia, confirmed a 108-43 aggregate win and a place in Pool A alongside Ireland, Scotland, Japan and Russia.

Germany, 12 places behind their opponents in the World Rugby rankings, will participate in the repechage in Marseille in November with Canada, Hong Kong and the Rugby Africa Gold cup runner-up."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/samoa-complete-ireland-s-rugby-world-cup-pool-1.3565576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I just hope Ireland don't make the same stupid mistake they made in other World Cup years, of going gung-ho for the Six Nations championship while England and France sit back and let Ireland ship multiple injuries. FFS let Italy win the 2019 Six Nations.

feargale wrote: »
    I just hope Ireland don't make the same stupid mistake they made in other World Cup years, of going gung-ho for the Six Nations championship while England and France sit back and let Ireland ship multiple injuries. FFS let Italy win the 2019 Six Nations.

You want to go into the World Cup with some momentum. But they won't go for the slam. If they have it sewn up after four games like this year, they won't bother fielding a full team in the last game for the sake of a slam. It's not worth it.

The only Northern Hemisphere team to win the Rugby World cup won the Grand slam in the same season.

I think we need to fine tune whatever residual questions we have about the squad and probably start Carbery against Italy and maybe Scotland but otherwise I'd expect us to approach the tournament in the same way we approached this years tournament.

I'd be more concerned about a bulk of the squad being involved in the knock out stages of the Heineken cup and Pro14 than any hangovers from the Six Nations.

Like when exactly? England before they won the world cup in 2003 won a grand slam which is one of only 2 grand slams the english have won in 20 years.
    troyzer wrote: »
    You want to go into the World Cup with some momentum. But they won't go for the slam. If they have it sewn up after four games like this year, they won't bother fielding a full team in the last game for the sake of a slam. It's not worth it.
    i dont see us treating 6 nations like that. We may look more at squad players but it wont be as simple as that.
    The only Northern Hemisphere team to win the Rugby World cup won the Grand slam in the same season.

I think we need to fine tune whatever residual questions we have about the squad and probably start Carbery against Italy and maybe Scotland but otherwise I'd expect us to approach the tournament in the same way we approached this years tournament.

I'd be more concerned about a bulk of the squad being involved in the knock out stages of the Heineken cup and Pro14 than any hangovers from the Six Nations.
    Id totally agree with this.
    Sorting out the squad especially key positions like 10 and giving Sexton a rest in irish game to try out alternatives is most important and end of the provincial season would be more of a concern as injuries there would likely have more impact on the world cup prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You can’t wrap players in cotton wool, they need to playing and they need to be playing at as high a level as possible. There is an inherent risk anytime a player trains or plays a game that can’t be mitigated. Players are just as likely to get injured in a meaningless warm up game. Playing and winning every game possible would be the best preparation for the team. Their game time will be managed throughout the season to optimize them for the World Cup. That won’t include international or important club fixtures though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Got tickets for one of the semi finals but the only trouble is that its semi final 2 - which is the winners of QF3 and QF4. I would expect Ireland to be in QF1 which means I have the wrong semi.

Will there be any issue in swapping these do you think either before or if (still a big if) and when we get out there??

arrowman wrote: »
    Got tickets for one of the semi finals but the only trouble is that its semi final 2 - which is the winners of QF3 and QF4. I would expect Ireland to be in QF1 which means I have the wrong semi.

Will there be any issue in swapping these do you think either before or if (still a big if) and when we get out there??

I'm planning on latching onto the first Rugby pub I see and make some contacts with like minded individuals supporting the opposite side of the bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I have SF 2 aswell, fully expect us to win the group, which puts us into SF2 then!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    I have SF 2 aswell, fully expect us to win the group, which puts us into SF2 then!

Oh yeah, I just noticed this. I'm semi final 2 as well. Assuming Ireland wins the group (they should) this is the right side of the bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Yes I was assuming that Ireland would top pool A and had picked my SF to suit but then I saw this on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup#Final

That seems to suggest the winners of pool A will be in SF1??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yes I was assuming that Ireland would top pool A and had picked my SF to suit but then I saw this on Wikipedia

That seems to suggest the winners of pool A will be SF1??

Ignroe wiki id say.

as per the rwc website if we win our group and get passed NZ/SA (presumably) we'll be in SF2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Just booked an apartment in Tokyo for the opening weekend. about €80 PN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

finbarrk wrote: »

Can you pm me the name if there are any rooms left?

Did you book it direct or through an agent? I have been keeping an eye out through booking.com etc but there isnt much selections yet.

It was booking.com. You are right, not too many were available.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-world-cup-2019-getting-ready-to-see-ireland-meet-the-world-in-japan-1.3571506

Shizuoka is hoping a sizeable contingent of the expected 400,000 foreign visitors will fall in love with this prefecture and pop into some of the local tourist attractions.

Just following on from what people were saying earlier on about visitor numbers. For some context, the Kiwis were only expecting 95,000 visitors and got 133,000. It could be quite a busy World Cup.

That's obviously balanced by the fact that far less Japanese would go to matches than Kiwis would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The pricing I have seen for this is beyond scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Has anyone come across a package that is somewhat reasonable/justifiable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Whitters22 wrote: »

The cheapest I've seen to date is 5k.

You won't get any reasonable packages, you'd have to book it yourself separately to get close to being reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The pricing I have seen for this is beyond scandalous.

From finbarkks link €5390 for flights, 10 nights 4star hotel, breakfasts, match tickets, transfers (coaches/trains), and some tours with English speaking guides seems reasonable enough to me.

Obviously it's aimed at a market who may not be comfortable doing things on their own and like having the package safety net, but I don't see anything scandalous about the pricing. The younger boards.ie demographic will likely do it cheaper with more meandering flights and navigating their own way on the subway system from airport to a more modest hotel or Airbnb, and figuring out themselves how to get from city to stadium and onto the next city.

But €5390 seems kinda ok to me for what you get? I thought it might be more to be honest.

Whitters22 wrote: »

No need to go on a package. Do it yourself for half the amount.

Africa 1 will be decided this weekend.
    Namibia host Kenya. Namibia lead Kenya by 3 points so win for Kenya denying Namibia anything will give them first spot and a place in group B with New Zealand, South Africa and Italy
    Runner up enters repechage with Canada, Hong Kong and Germany

Namibia won 53-28 to qualify and are in group B.
    Kenya enter repechage

Germany have appointed Mike Ford as head coach ahead of the repechage in November in Marseille

The next ticket ballot opens on Wednesday. I'm getting less confident.
    https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/363201

What have you managed to get so far?

You'll still have the public sale in January. Japan is 8 hours ahead remember so the committed fans willing to stay up for the sale might have the edge.

so the committed fans willing to stay up for the sale might have the edge.

it is not an online sale

the ballot application is open for a month and then winners are drawn from all applicants

there is no problem getting tickets to the pool games I'd say

The difficulty begins for the knockout games - these have been highlighted as high demand from early on

I got QF tickets but not SFs last time

it is not an online sale

the ballot application is open for a month and then winners are drawn from all applicants

I'm aware of that. Which is why I said the January sale. The ballot opens on Wednesday and winners are notified in November.

There is also a Ticketmaster style first-come, first-served sale in January for whatever tickets are left over.

• Advertisement

There is also a Ticketmaster style first-come, first-served sale in January for whatever tickets are left over.

ah right sorry

ah right sorry

No problem. There's unlikely to be anything decent in the January sale anyway so it's a moot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Probably a silly question but what do you have to do before Wednesday? Register for what tickets you want? Or is it only form Wednesday you can register?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but what do you have to do before Wednesday? Register for what tickets you want? Or is it only form Wednesday you can register?

Create an account and then on Wednesday you create an application.

It's not time dependant so there's no rush.

Going off these figures, the travel agent packages dont seem that expensive; https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup-2019-how-much-will-it-cost-to-follow-ireland-in-japan-1.3629479

Come on lads. Don't let me down.

What have you managed to get so far?

You'll still have the public sale in January. Japan is 8 hours ahead remember so the committed fans willing to stay up for the sale might have the edge.

I did a couple of applications for the first weekends games in Yokohama in the initial ballot but got nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Come on lads. Don't let me down.
    I have applied to the exact same as you in both ballots, except the bronze final. I got zilch in the front row ballot.

Depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Usually tickets get freed up when we'll supported teams get knocked out or end up in an unexpected sidekof the draw, if we can get France or Australia or Argentina in a semi maybe we could get tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Usually tickets get freed up when we'll supported teams get knocked out or end up in an unexpected sidekof the draw, if we can get France or Australia or Argentina in a semi maybe we could get tickets.

Isn't it fixed that we'd be playing teams from pool B so SA or NZ?

Advertisement