Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I can afford the weekly!

Sorry u've lost me

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Sorry u've lost me

He's sneering at folk who finance their cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Augeo wrote: »
    He's sneering at folk who finance their cars.

No, if you've done the sums and it makes sense, go for it. I'm sneering at folk who think this is cool:

change it to a hire purchase and there’ll be a different interest rate. Sign the piece of paper and off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

No, if you've done the sums and it makes sense, go for it. I'm sneering at folk who think this is cool:

change it to a hire purchase and there’ll be a different interest rate. Sign the piece of paper and off you go.

Not entirely sure where I said it was cool? It works for me, I'm sure the user who asked the question initially is a big boy or girl and can do their own homework and see if they want to be cool or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

i see the UP GTI is not showing up in the VW Uk website - looks to be discontinued

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

bazz26 wrote: »
    Latest Mk8 GTE photoed here still with some tape over the body panels around the light clusters:

That's interesting, carwow on youtube said "there will not be an electric golf" instead it'll be the id3. Must have been mistaken.

https://youtu.be/SdogSTqRjKw?t=2002

theintern wrote: »
    That's interesting, carwow on youtube said "there will not be an electric golf" instead it'll be the id3. Must have been mistaken........

Nope, they are correct........ the GTE is a hybrid allegedly .........
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/89538/new-2020-volkswagen-golf-spy-shots-show-the-mk8-golf-gte-hybrid

& no full electric...... "The plug-in hybrid GTE will also be offered, but the e-Golf won’t make it to another generation due to the arrival of the I.D. family, Diess confirmed." .......... (Volkswagen boss, Herbert Diess)

Augeo wrote: »
    Nope, they are correct........ the GTE is a hybrid allegedly .........
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/89538/new-2020-volkswagen-golf-spy-shots-show-the-mk8-golf-gte-hybrid

& no full electric...... "The plug-in hybrid GTE will also be offered, but the e-Golf won’t make it to another generation due to the arrival of the I.D. family, Diess confirmed." .......... (Volkswagen boss, Herbert Diess)

A ha. Got it. Hard to keep track of the different powertrains these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any idea what could be wrong with my temperature reading in the car, it thinks it's 8 degrees outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

It wouldn't make sense to have two electric hatchbacks in the eGolf and ID3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Any idea what could be wrong with my temperature reading in the car, it thinks it's 8 degrees outside.

Did you give it a wash today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

SaintsYB wrote: »
    It wouldn't make sense to have two electric hatchbacks in the eGolf and ID3.

It makes sense for them to have 3 different ICE hatchbacks though?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Anyone on here got a golf with a sunroof, any issues with them, going to look at a mk 7 allstar which has a sunroof, I think its standard on that spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

ml100 wrote: »
    Anyone on here got a golf with a sunroof, any issues with them, going to look at a mk 7 allstar which has a sunroof, I think its standard on that spec?

Yip 2016 7R with a sunroof. No issues - except a load of dead flies stuck to the wind deflector / fly catcher that pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

It makes sense for them to have 3 different ICE hatchbacks though?

They're all in different segments though. The up! is smaller than a Polo, which is smaller than a Golf. The entire way along VW have said the ID3 is near identical in exterior size to a Golf.

Wailin wrote: »
    Did you give it a wash today?

No it eventually recovered. Not sure what went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

No it eventually recovered. Not sure what went on.

Are you not hugging it as much anymore? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

€32 for front wipers in VW, anyone have a price off the top of their head elsewhere? Could have sworn I saw Bosch wipers for €40 somewhere.

6mm on the Pilot Sports after 6,000km, is it me or does that seem a bit quick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    €32 for front wipers in VW, anyone have a price off the top of their head elsewhere? Could have sworn I saw Bosch wipers for €40 somewhere.

She’ll chew the fronts if your gassin it- rotate them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

€32 is cheap, what brand are they Bosch? I paid €22 for Valeo ones recently at PR Reilly with a trade discount, find them just as good as OEM ones really.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    €32 is cheap, what brand are they Bosch? I paid €22 for Valeo ones recently at PR Reilly with a trade discount, find them just as good as OEM ones really.

Not sure, just got the service email with the cost. I suppose €32 isn't so bad.
    duskyjoe wrote: »
    She’ll chew the fronts if your gassin it- rotate them

Don't be doing much of that in the 1 litre :D Heard many reports of people getting 30k from them, I just hope they last longer than 20k of the Bridgestone that came with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Don't be doing much of that in the 1 litre :D

[Unfollow]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bosch A864S Aerotwin Wiperblade Set, 650/450 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W1KKYUI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lmrIDbHZN1P7M

Around €21 on Amazon for a Bosch set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Other than the wear how do you find them performance wise ? I will need new front tyres for my Golf in the next few months and was thinking of going for them but they are a big extra cost even over other premium brands. I have Pirelli P-Zero on the front at the minute and find the wet grip terrible.

[Unfollow]

If it helps I did actually drive a GTI PP today :) To state the obvious, it's very refined. The Cupra makes a bit more fuss putting that power down and the GTI is a bit more laid back.

The seats are a bit more bolstered compared to the sport seats in the Highline and the subtle differences on the digital dash make it a bit nicer than on the standard Golf.

I was mostly interested in the ride comfort as the Cupra has DCC. I drove my usual roads around Liffey Valley up to Grange Castle. Nothing was overly harsh but luckily I don't drive many bad roads. The GTI isn't much stiffer than the sport suspension on the Highline but there's an obvious increase in quality, it has a nicer feel to it. I do like feedback with the road so I don't mind the stiffness but it's not going to annoy the GF when she's with me. Obviously it's not an A6/5er but the likes of my mam's Mokka X on 205/65 would rattle your fillings out so it's really not that bad.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said about a GTI already but it's nice to have finally driven one myself especially after having driven a Cupra 290 and 300.

It really is a lovely car :)
    CIP4 wrote: »
    Other than the wear how do you find them performance wise ? I will need new front tyres for my Golf in the next few months and was thinking of going for them but they are a big extra cost even over other premium brands. I have Pirelli P-Zero on the front at the minute and find the wet grip terrible.

I'm sure the lads here will have better feedback as they're a bit overkill for 110hp. No issues with them, they grip well especially in the wet, no harshness with stiff sidewalls or excessive road noise and they look nice with the rim protection. Don't think they'll last 30,000km that I've seen people claiming but they were an extra €20 on 17" so not a huge cost increase over a standard tyre.

Another option would be the Goodyear Eagle AS3, good but cheaper as far as I know they aren't bad. Slightly behind the PS4 I believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

If it helps I did actually drive a GTI PP today :) To state the obvious, it's very refined. The Cupra makes a bit more fuss putting that power down and the GTI is a bit more laid back.

The seats are a bit more bolstered compared to the sport seats in the Highline and the subtle differences on the digital dash make it a bit nicer than on the standard Golf.

I was mostly interested in the ride comfort as the Cupra has DCC. I drove my usual roads around Liffey Valley up to Grange Castle. Nothing was overly harsh but luckily I don't drive many bad roads. The GTI isn't much stiffer than the sport suspension on the Highline but there's an obvious increase in quality, it has a nicer feel to it. I do like feedback with the road so I don't mind the stiffness but it's not going to annoy the GF when she's with me. Obviously it's not an A6/5er but the likes of my mam's Mokka X on 205/65 would rattle your fillings out so it's really not that bad.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said about a GTI already but it's nice to have finally driven one myself especially after having driven a Cupra 290 and 300.

It really is a lovely car :)

So I own a GTI PP but have driven a Leon Cupra 290 a good bit as well as a Leon Cupra 300 4 Drive. Like kind of goes without saying the Leon feels faster and is faster. However in two wheel drive form kind of at nothing with 290 as if you go to take off hard it will just spin the wheels hard. The GTI will also spin its wheels but its a bit more controlled. To me I think the GTI is the better car to live with slightly more extras than most Cupras build quality feels a little better. Also the thing about the GTI is the days you are not feeling it you can drive it completely normally and it's ok with that really can act like a completely normal golf when you want it to the only thing that gives it away is that it is louder.

Suspension I was slightly worried about as a lot of people said they are hard and uncomfortable without DCC. I have to say I find it perfectly fine and not uncomfortable at all and I drive on a good variety of roads.

As for the Leon Cupra 4 Drive well that's a different animal all together. Would be unfair to compare a GTI to it as it is in R territory.
    I'm sure the lads here will have better feedback as they're a bit overkill for 110hp. No issues with them, they grip well especially in the wet, no harshness with stiff sidewalls or excessive road noise and they look nice with the rim protection. Don't think they'll last 30,000km that I've seen people claiming but they were an extra €20 on 17" so not a huge cost increase over a standard tyre.

Another option would be the Goodyear Eagle AS3, good but cheaper as far as I know they aren't bad. Slightly behind the PS4 I believe?

Yes I have had AS3 and found them good. Will see closer to the time when I am buying them what options are out there. Think there are Goodyear ASY5 out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I haven't driven a gti in a long time, but it must try to spin its front wheels a lot from a standing start, especially in the colder months. The wife's car is a fwd people carrier which I think is 150bhp and its hard not to spin the wheels with any kind of moderate acceleration on it with the dsg box. It eats front tyres very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

In Blackwater motors forge hill cork

Two TCR’s In stock red and white €50,289

Hopefully none of the TCRs out there are demo models otherwise it will come back with 10,000km, given a lousy discount and slapped with a juicy 5.9% making it more expensive than a new one :)

Someone in Holland has wrote one off already, a guy on autostadt has got the interior out of it for his Mk7. It looks really well.

• Advertisement

Someone in Holland has wrote one off already, a guy on autostadt has got the interior out of it for his Mk7. It looks really well.

The seats really are nice.

Lads what's a reasonable cost to change, 172 GTI manual to a 182 R with leather and sunroof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Lads what's a reasonable cost to change, 172 GTI manual to a 182 R with leather and sunroof.

Lucky you ! Just do it and repent in leisure

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Your coming up a year thats 10 grand and add the R another 5 grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say they will be wanting around 9k or 10k anyway, possibly more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

You will get the usual salesman pitch that no one wants a manual or cloth seats thereby devaluing your own car while EVERYONE wants leather, automatic with a sunroof :D

Homer wrote: »
    You will get the usual salesman pitch that no one wants a manual or cloth seats thereby devaluing your own car while EVERYONE wants leather, automatic with a sunroof :D

Well I'll be telling him it'll be hard shift an R without the titanium exhaust and adaptive suspension.
    Hard enough price my own doesn't seem to be many out there unless you want a white one.
    Anyone here missing a 182 R with 12k on the clock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

it'll be hard shift an R without the titanium exhaust...

I'd say you could count the number of R's here with that option fitted on fewer than 5 fingers.

I'd say 12k minimum to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Don't buy an R without DCC, are there actually 182 R's out there spec'd without DCC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

tossy wrote: »
    Don't buy an R without DCC, are there actually 182 R's out there spec'd without DCC?

I'd say most don't have it. It's a 1300 euro option that most don't bother with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Any reports of issues with the MK7 1.4 TSi with ACT. Lately, I'm getting a weird ticking noise under a relatively light load. Can't hear anything when idling. Only hear the noise with the windows down.

Well I'll be telling him it'll be hard shift an R without the titanium exhaust and adaptive suspension.
    Hard enough price my own doesn't seem to be many out there unless you want a white one.
    Anyone here missing a 182 R with 12k on the clock?

Is it the car that Martin Murphy in Nenagh is selling? Seems to be priced well compared to others.

Is it the car that Martin Murphy in Nenagh is selling? Seems to be priced well compared to others.

Yea that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Linky

Seems well priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Loving the gloss black prets mmm :D:cool:

Hmmm, still prefer silver myself. Found some photos from 2015 today.... Few videos too, might stick em up

20150822-140253.jpg
    20151001-192012.jpg
    20151001-192139.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I really, really want to like the black alloys... but I just don't think they look that nice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I really, really want to like the black alloys... but I just don't think they look that nice :(
    They look fine but don't really work with the blue IMO. They'd look better with almost any other colour.

• Advertisement

@vintagevrs - that was a gorgeous R. Don't see too many in black with the 19" Pretoria's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement