Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭quokula

I can't speak for minimum wage earners in London like you find in hotels and restaurants, but for me and other Irish/EU friends I've made here not a single one has left since the referendum result. One couple did think on it as they weren't keen on having to pay for private schooling for the kids (London) but after working out the hit to their careers/prospects/salaries from having to downgrade to Dublin, it didn't make financial sense.

I moved back from London last year, along with my partner who's job as a consultant in the NHS has still not been refilled. I wouldn't say I moved because of Brexit, there were personal and financial reasons, but Brexit was probably one of the things that made us start considering it.

Being Irish we had no concerns about actually losing our rights, but we were looking to buy a house and there was just too much economic uncertainty. We were in a position where financially the move made sense.

But one of the reasons we started considering it was probably the fact that in the last few years, you couldn't turn on a tv or read a newspaper, or sometimes get into a conversation in a pub, without being reminded how unwelcome EU migrants are and being reminded that this isn't really your home.

I know 3 other people personally who've moved back to other parts of the EU in the last year, again not specifically because of Brexit but I think it's raised awareness that moving back is an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

quokula wrote: »
    But one of the reasons we started considering it was probably the fact that in the last few years, you couldn't turn on a tv or read a newspaper, or sometimes get into a conversation in a pub, without being reminded how unwelcome EU migrants are and being reminded that this isn't really your home.

I definitely haven't had that experience but sucks for you. I actually bought a house (hooray!) at the start of the Summer. I'm not looking at it as an investment though, it ticked all the boxes we had and I'm happy out. I did a search on daft.ie with the same price for Galway (nearest city to home). Had a good old chuckle at the returned madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Luxembourg PM, Xavier Bettel, was surprisingly articulate and pointed yesterday in his defence of Ireland and of the Good Friday Agreement at that meeting with Johnson.

What's his angle? Is it something as selfish as Ireland being an ally in the defence of tax havens low corporation tax now that the British are leaving?

Are the minutes of the meetings of the EU heads of state ever revealed? Are they all given the same script or what's happening?

Whatever, it is, it was absolutely refreshing to hear such support amid all the reports on our impending economic turmoil because of Brexit. Likewise with the much more powerful supportive voices in the EU and the hugely powerful Richard Neill and Nancy Pelosi in the US Congress who came out fully behind Ireland's position.

Johnson increasingly comes across as somebody whose bluff has well and truly been called.

PS: Were the protestors in Luxembourg British?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,044 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Luxembourg PM, Xavier Bettel, was surprisingly articulate and pointed yesterday in his defence of Ireland and of the Good Friday Agreement at that meeting with Johnson.

What's his angle? Is it something as selfish as Ireland being an ally in the defence of tax havens low corporation tax now that the British are leaving?

Are the minutes of the meetings of the EU heads of state ever revealed? Are they all given the same script or what's happening?

Whatever, it is, it was absolutely refreshing to hear such support amid all the reports on our impending economic turmoil because of Brexit. Likewise with the much more powerful supportive voices in the EU and the hugely powerful Richard Neill and Nancy Pelosi in the US Congress who came out fully behind Ireland's position.

Johnson increasingly comes across as somebody whose bluff has well and truly been called.

His own ex-pats apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't think there is an angle, no doubt the Brexiters will be along any minute to contradict me but I think it was borne out of a genuine frustration with the Brits and Johnson in general. Johnson and his cabinet keep saying they've put forward alternative proposals for alternative arrangements for Ireland and the EU keep contradicting them, I know who I believe.

I think the protesters were British expats. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

Maybe if there is an angle it's let the puny countries like Ireland and Luxembourg tell the hulk (boris) a few home truths.
    Namely that we know your not bringing anything to the table and maybe the British people should hear it from EU heads.
    This way it shouldn't be seen as bullying, compared to say Germany or France telling it like it is.
    Ps can we stop calling British citizens living abroad expats, Polish or Irish living in the UK are not given the same privilege

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

ltd440 wrote: »
    Maybe if there is an angle it's let the puny countries like Ireland and Luxembourg tell the hulk (boris) a few home truths.
    Namely that we know your not bringing anything to the table and maybe the British people should hear it from EU heads.
    This way it shouldn't be seen as bullying, compared to say Germany or France telling it like it is.
    Ps can we stop calling British citizens living abroad expats, Polish or Irish living in the UK are not given the same privilege

100%. They're ex-pats only because they're claiming pensions from Britain and availing of EU healthcare. Not very patriotic. Parasites on the country they left behind and the country whose languages they chose to ignore.

But now, they're panicking and moving back to Blighty. According to friends, parts of the Med coast of Spain are becoming great value for Europeans looking for a holiday property or full-time residence.

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1174075639688761347

Aside from the humour, worth noting dick brains comments - 'get parliament out of the way'. Ok...

How do they not see the irony in saying they want to get Parliament out of the way and then calling remainers tyrants? Do they just not care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dubl07 wrote: »
    100%. They're ex-pats only because they're claiming pensions from Britain and availing of EU healthcare. Not very patriotic. Parasites on the country they left behind and the country whose languages they chose to ignore.

But now, they're panicking and moving back to Blighty. According to friends, parts of the Med coast of Spain are becoming great value for Europeans looking for a holiday property or full-time residence.

No, that is not what an expat is, Luxemburg has a very strong financial sector, with most of those workers living in Belgium, their cost base is their home office in England, that is what makes the expats.

Like most City Finance people they were strongly for Remain, more so for these expats as they live in the EU.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    How do they not see the irony in saying they want to get Parliament out of the way and then calling remainers tyrants? Do they just not care?

They are fascists. When they do it 'it is right'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

490631.png

More good news for the DUP.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I believe people in Britain have more respect for nationalist parties like the SDLP than the DUP. They have really damaged the image of unionism with their carry on.

https://twitter.com/SophieRose19x/status/1173966659788398593
    I'd say Francois loved this - plod for the day. Looks like he is leading the charge into a pub here.

Actually wondering how he is allowed to impersonate a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

J Mysterio wrote: »
    https:/twitter.com/SophieRose19x/status/1173966659788398593I'd say Francois loved this - plod for the day. Looks like he is leading the charge into a pub here.Actually wondering how he is allowed to impersonate a police officer.
    That's pretty cringeworthyly funny,remember when he did this which is also worthy of mention in the Mark Francois 'hall of shame'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'd say Francois loved this - plod for the day. Looks like he is leading the charge into a pub here.

He has form on impersonation. He's been impersonating a Member of Parliament for years.

Maybe he is training for when Britain "explodes".

Wage growth continues to outpace inflation, record employment levels and (anecdotally) a sh!t hot jobs market around for me and the missus. Shame that Brexit still looms, the UK would be absolutely smashing it these past few years if it were not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,928 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EEv8IgbW4AE9lM7?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Since BoJo called himself Hulk and then denied any media being infront of him where have his Acolytes gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don’t understand why he keeps doing these public appearances. Every time he does it it’s a disaster and then he just does it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gets to play hardman - it's his favourite thing to do

Imagine voting for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 finjoe

at least they are heading as if they are, Paddy thought the EU were going to bully the UK the way the bullied us in November 2010..if the Irish could get them to have another referendum that migh work!!:))..if Ireland had leaders like Borris Johnson the night of the bank guarantee, we could have called their (EUs) bluff..we just rolled over..and same party now back up the polls...hard to believe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

finjoe wrote: »
    at least they are heading as if they are, Paddy thought the EU were going to bully the UK the way the bullied us in November 2010..if the Irish could get them to have another referendum that migh work!!:))..if Ireland had leaders like Borris Johnson the night of the bank guarantee, we could have called their (EUs) bluff..we just rolled over..and same party now back up the polls...hard to believe....

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The UK is being humiliated on the world stage, in case you haven't noticed.

Their parliament is in tatters, not to mention the Supreme Court as they 'stand up' to the EU. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yes, you admire Borris so much you can't even spell his first name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's that they say about finding the worst of yourself in your enemy?

It was in fact the Brits who've been banging on for the last year about how the EU was going to put pressure on "Paddy" and force Ireland to drop the backstop.

The EU can't "bully" the UK into anything. Remember that scene in "Liar, Liar" where Jim Carrey beats the sh1t out of himself in the bathroom and then comes back and says that he was attacked by a desperate madman at the end of his tether?

That's the UK right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

lawred2 wrote: »
    Gets to play hardman - it's his favourite thing to do

Imagine voting for him?

He's our MP (town next door), a good chunk of them love him, Boris too. I just can't fathom it. The local facebook group should just be called the Brexit Supporters chat, I don't really engage with them anymore as you can't argue with stupid. Where we used to live the MP is Andrew Rosindell, look up his most notable achievement. I really should look up the politics of these places before we move.

And I wonder why I've not been on the winning side of any vote since we moved over here. . .:confused:

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don’t understand why he keeps doing these public appearances. Every time he does it it’s a disaster and then he just does it again!

Why wouldn't he? Cos then everyone would be saying that "he's scared"? The guy yesterday was an ex Labour activist, the woman from early in the week ranting at him to leave "her" ( :rolleyes: ) town neglected to mention that the two constituencies has had Tories at about ~30% for the past two elections. But yeah, it's "her" town.

I don't think people should be so quick to buy the media narrative, Boris is wildly popular here. Anecdotally I see it everywhere but more than that, look at the polls. He's continues to trounce Corbyn, which given, isn't very hard.

• Advertisement

The UK is being humiliated on the world stage, in case you haven't noticed.

Their parliament is in tatters, not to mention the Supreme Court as they 'stand up' to the EU. :D:D
    I can't stand Johnson or his goons but gloating is a very unpleasant trait francie
    :(

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I can't stand Johnson or his goons but gloating is a very unpleasant trait francie

Gloating over something you've done might be. Schadenfreude is the word you're looking for I'd guess.

But watching on from the sidelines at something they've done entirely to themselves? If it makes some people smile before that country's decision negatively impact ours, then at least there was some good from it.

Why wouldn't he? Cos then everyone would be saying that "he's scared"? The guy yesterday was an ex Labour activist, the woman from early in the week ranting at him to leave "her" ( :rolleyes: ) town neglected to mention that the two constituencies has had Tories at about ~30% for the past two elections. But yeah, it's "her" town.

I don't think people should be so quick to buy the media narrative, Boris is wildly popular here. Anecdotally I see it everywhere but more than that, look at the polls. He's continues to trounce Corbyn, which given, isn't very hard.

The guy yesterday was a father in hospital with his sick daughter. He didn't organise the press to be there, Johnson did and then he flat out lied about there being press at all. But it's the media narrative that is driving attention away from Johnson's lies and onto the man who accosted him, whose political leanings are IMO irrelevant, just like they did with the couple who called the police after hearing Johnson's row with his girlfriend.

Gloating over something you've done might be. Schadenfreude is the word you're looking for I'd guess.

But watching on from the sidelines at something they've done entirely to themselves? If it makes some people smile before that country's decision negatively impact ours, then at least there was some good from it.

I understand Britain`s decision has negative impact on Ireland ,I would point out there are many British people who wish to remain in the EU who are distraught about the whole thing.The added fact that the British version of democracy has been spectacularly exposed as disastrously flawed is also very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pjohnson wrote: »
    Since BoJo called himself Hulk and then denied any media being infront of him where have his Acolytes gone?
    Damn...
    latest?cb=20131028002723

RobMc59 wrote: »

I wasn't gloating, I was laughing at the poster's familiar anti Irish comments after reminding him/her of the facts at the moment.

You are letting your embarrassment get the better of you Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

They should really just get on with it now I for one cant wait to see the ads on the telly with the British children digging through bins looking for food asking me to donate €2 a month to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

They should really just get on with it now I for one cant wait to see the ads on the telly with the British children digging through bins looking for food asking me to donate €2 a month to help them.
    You have joined boards less than an hour ago, and already have 3 antagonistic posts up. Have you a previous name on boards????

You have joined boards less than an hour ago, and already have 3 antagonistic posts up. Have you a previous name on boards????

It's a funny comment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Yeah it was mindyourownbusiness

• Advertisement

Brexit Bar. Bulgaria.

new-name-same-great-place.jpg

Brexit Bar. Bulgaria.

new-name-same-great-place.jpg

I think Brexiters and irony may well be complete strangers.

An email from The Torygraph just popped into my inbox there, with the tagline "Could victory be on the cards?".

Jesus, I thought, they're really losing their **** now.

Turns out they were referring to the rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

davedanon wrote: »
    An email from The Torygraph just popped into my inbox there, with the tagline "Could victory be on the cards?".

Jesus, I thought, they're really losing their **** now.

Turns out they were referring to the rugby.
    Definitely losing their ****

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Definitely losing their ****

They've a good chance. More than we have. Rugby that is, not Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

So it looks like a deal. How can Leo sell this as a win for his career without sticking hard, alone, to the backstop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Who else wants to get locked out of their biggest income source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

ToddyDoody wrote: »

Quotes

"We will stand our ground over the backstop"

"the WA is closed"

...until now that it isn't.

The EU have effectively bottled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ToddyDoody wrote: »

I just stopped reading after the word locked and am currently breaking the seal on bottle of bourbon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Quotes

"We will stand our ground over the backstop"

"the WA is closed"

...until now that it isn't.

The EU have effectively bottled it

Ah you're right, I didn't see it that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement