Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Interesting article from Murray here this guys theories on cohesion give a rise to a different view of the MOC years. Not something we were entirely unaware of, but if he’s right it’s less about MOC and all about the massive changes in personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

stephen_n wrote: »
    Interesting article from Murray here this guys theories on cohesion give a rise to a different view of the MOC years. Not something we were entirely unaware of, but if he’s right it’s less about MOC and all about the massive changes in personnel.

I still go back to MOC and the game against Cardiff in RDS

It wasn't even wet but a cold evening and they just kicked the sh*t out of the ballall night....no tactics.....awful game....Cardiff where awful as well so nothing to do with cohesion.....just terrible tactics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Darwin seems a bit confused about how income tax works in Ireland:

"The decision of the IRFU to give tax opportunities to players ........."

If he wasn't still alive, I'd say that Charlie McCreevy would be turning in his grave over that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I see that Leinster gave young Salanoa the last 15 minutes against Saints, I wonder how he got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I still go back to MOC and the game against Cardiff in RDS

It wasn't even wet but a cold evening and they just kicked the sh*t out of the ballall night....no tactics.....awful game....Cardiff where awful as well so nothing to do with cohesion.....just terrible tactics

The loss to Dragons in the Rds was the longest game of my life!

• Advertisement

LostArt wrote: »
    The loss to Dragons in the Rds was the longest game of my life!

After the Cardiff game I couldn't face that atrocity.....

For people saying it was an issue with players, just look at the muck MOC served up at Leicester after he left Leinster......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well we can all rest easy that all is right with the world again. Its 50-17 to the As in Donnybrook inside the last 10 mins and 19-3 to the ladies at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It was always a combination of things. MOC got a hospital pass in terms of the environment he walked into, but then he wasn't the right man to take over in that situation either.

The point that Darwin is making is definitely valid; the heights that we hit in 2011 and 2012 had been seven or eight years in the making. There was always going to be a dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Highlights of Leinster's win over Northampton. Leinsters second try was a beaut. Lovely passing between forwards and backs.

https://youtu.be/-01ccdPjf9Y

Denis Leamy is joining Leinster's academy coaching staff. He had been with Munsters underage teams and was developing a reputation as a good coach.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/munster-legend-denis-leamy-set-for-role-with-leinster-academy-38499049.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clegg wrote: »
    Denis Leamy is joining Leinster's academy coaching staff. He had been with Munsters underage teams and was developing a reputation as a good coach.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/munster-legend-denis-leamy-set-for-role-with-leinster-academy-38499049.html
    Dont know where he developed that reputation...
    His coaching experience is with Rockwell in schools cup, clonmel to win a few junior leagues and a junior cup and then Cashel in AIL but didnt like his attitude on sidelines of games or much else.

Dont know where he developed that reputation...
    His coaching experience is with Rockwell in schools cup, clonmel to win a few junior leagues and a junior cup and then Cashel in AIL but didnt like his attitude on sidelines of games or much else.

Tbf I haven't a clue about his rep. Just paraphrasing what's in the Indo article.

On the subject of the Academy, I'm really looking forward to what Noel McNamara can do for our young players. The U20 Six Nations showed how good a coach he is I think. It's hard to get underage representative sides playing as a cohesive unit, as they're still developing their own skills. But we played extremely well as a team and won that grand slam on merit. And when we had players drop out of the squad through injury, the replacements stepped in seamlessly. That's the sign of good coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Was anyone at the A game? If so, what went wrong with Ulster or were Leinster just too good or a combination of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Barry Daly is out for up to 5 months and Frawley is out for 6-8 weeks. Balls. Daly in particular has absolutely no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

molloyjh wrote: »
    Barry Daly is out for up to 5 months and Frawley is out for 6-8 weeks. Balls. Daly in particular has absolutely no luck.

Barry Daly with knee ligament damage and cartilage injury picked up in training. Just so so unlucky.

Feel sorry for Daly - just can't get a proper run of matches under his belt.

Bad timing for Frawley. He'd have been in line for a lot of rugby the next two months against weaker teams where he could have put in a few displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Feel sorry for Daly - just can't get a proper run of matches under his belt.

Bad timing for Frawley. He'd have been in line for a lot of rugby the next two months against weaker teams where he could have put in a few displays.

Harry Byrne should see some game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Bit thin on 10s even with Frawley fit.

Will be getting squeaky bum time if one of Ross or Harry drop in the next 6 weeks or (more likely) Ross gets on a plane to Japan.

JOB might find himself playing a lot more 10 than Leinster probably had planned for him (although I hope they had a lot of it planned)

From the 42:

Delighted for JGP. He's been an excellent player for us and one of our most consistent performers over the past few seasons. He's been unfairly criticised by certain segments of the fan base, online and off, but it's clear he's well respected by his teammates.
    Leinster have not yet announced who will step into the role of captain whilst Johnny Sexton is away at the World Cup, but the players have voted for a five-man leadership group for the first phase of the new Guinness Pro14 season.

With last year’s vice-captains Rhys Ruddock and Luke McGrath also currently in Japan with Joe Schmidt’s Ireland, the Leinster dressing room nominated Scott Fardy, Ross Molony, Jamison Gibson-Park, Ed Byrne and Fergus McFadden as part of the leadership group.

I'm pleasantly suprised to see Ed Byrne in there.

I know when he came back from injury there was a lot of references to how respected he was etc in the set up. But I thought that was mostly media fluff pieces.

The fact he's in the leadership group is very interesting to see.

Delighted for JGP too.

He was a seriously consistent performer for us last season especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It'd be class to see Ross Molony really kick on, he's still only 25 and already has more than 80 caps and second rows can take a while to develop. With the likes of Baird and Dunne coming through, the next season or two is really vital for him I reckon.

It'd be class to see Ross Molony really kick on, he's still only 25 and already has more than 80 caps and second rows can take a while to develop. With the likes of Baird and Dunne coming through, the next season or two is really vital for him I reckon.

I think he will kick on now and could be an Irish International.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think he will kick on now and could be an Irish International.....

I dont, hes a great player but cant carry, he will be leap frogged by Dunne and Baird in the coming seasons, unless he adds another dimension to his game,

His leadership and lineouts are what keep him in the team but Dunne and Baird look like the future, the game is moving towards second rows that can also carry and make gainline ...sadly Molony will never be that

I dont, hes a great player but cant carry, he will be leap frogged by Dunne and Baird in the coming seasons, unless he adds another dimension to his game,

His leadership and lineouts are what keep him in the team but Dunne and Baird look like the future, the game is moving towards second rows that can also carry and make gainline ...sadly Molony will never be that

His ball carrying is lacking which is unfortunate.

But I was very impressed with his physicality last season. His impact in D was significantly better and his ruck clean outs were brilliantly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Leinster Rugby ‘A’ v Ospreys ‘A’ – Friday, 20th September, St. Helen’s (Swansea), KO: 19.15

(Leinster Senior Cap(s) in Brackets)

15. Rob Russell
    14. Adam La Grue
    13. Gavin Mullin (2)
    12. Liam Turner
    11. Andrew Smith
    10. James Tarrant
    9. Paddy Patterson (3)
    1. Michael Milne
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Tom Clarkson
    4. Charlie Ryan CAPTAIN
    5. Ryan Baird (1)
    6. Cian Prendergast
    7. Ronan Watters
    8. Brian Deeny

16. John McKee
    17. Charlie Ward
    18. Roman Salanoa
    19. Anthony Ryan
    20. Ronan Foley
    21. Cormac Foley
    22. Tim Corkery
    23. Josh O’Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone got any info on Corkery? Is he playing AIL this year? I know he played U19 earlier this year so assuming he's only out of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Jonny Gray, Jean kleyn, itoje, kruis, s whitelock, mostert just to name a few are in line to start for some of the biggest countries in a few days and aren’t the best ball carriers but are physical in similar ways to Molony. I.e defence, defensive mauls, scrum, hitting rucks etx... there is very few international pairings of two all out explosive carriers so he will always be knocking about... very similarly to charlie Ryan.. don’t forget Molony first captained leinster at 22/23 and has a big number of caps in respect of his age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Molony is 6”6 and 110kg, he’s a lump but not really by international standards. If Ruddock is going to be with Ireland more now Molony could very well move into his role as that wider squad leader. He could do a lot worse than Billy Holland down at Munster, who has turned great leadership into an excellent provincial career despite in theory being 2 inches too short to play lock at a professional level.

If Molony stays fit he could easily have another 10 years playing left. I do think he’ll be capped for Ireland but probably in the same vein that Mike McCarthy did.

Same was said about Toner when he was 25....look where he ended up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Leinster Rugby ‘A’ v Ospreys ‘A’ – Friday, 20th September, St. Helen’s (Swansea), KO: 19.15

(Leinster Senior Cap(s) in Brackets)

15. Rob Russell (DUFC)
    14. Adam La Grue (Terenure)
    13. Gavin Mullin (2) (UCD)
    12. Liam Turner (DUFC)
    11. Andrew Smith (???)
    10. James Tarrant (UCD)
    9. Paddy Patterson (3) (UCD)
    1. Michael Milne (UCD)
    2. Dan Sheehan (LFC)
    3. Tom Clarkson (DUFC?)
    4. Charlie Ryan CAPTAIN (UCD)
    5. Ryan Baird (1) (DUFC)
    6. Cian Prendergast (UCD)
    7. Ronan Watters (Marys)
    8. Brian Deeny (Tarf???)

16. John McKee (Belvo)
    17. Charlie Ward (Tarf)
    18. Roman Salanoa (Belvo)
    19. Anthony Ryan (Tarf)
    20. Ronan Foley (UCD)
    21. Cormac Foley (Marys)
    22. Tim Corkery (LFC)
    23. Josh O’Connor (UCD)

Anyone know where Smith is playing rugby? A lot of University players there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement