Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    Well don't hold back Retro! Hit me with a list! :pac:

Legend of dragoon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Legend of dragoon

And i hope you know I'm joking. Don't want to inflict that game on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I dunno, Vesperia had that dog that smoked a pipe. That's pretty cool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Legend of dragoon
    And i hope you know I'm joking. Don't want to inflict that game on anyone.

Don't mind him he's not joking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd recommened playing one Tales game and no more.

• Advertisement

I must give dragoon another go. I got up to the point there's an incredibly unnecessary character swap and let it fall by the wayside

I must give dragoon another go. I got up to the point there's an incredibly unnecessary character swap and let it fall by the wayside

Eh, that's one RPG nobody needs to change. And if you think the unnecessary character swap was a laughable attempt to ape FFVII, well the whole game is a laughable attempt to ape better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Grandia HD Collection coming 16. August.

Looks like Grandia II (PC) owners will get the upgrade for free.

Grandia 1 is an absolute gem. It has none of the teen angst that ff7 would bring. It just feels like a great serialised fun 80s kids anime turned into a game.

It also has thee best rpg battle system ever. It's so good they never topped it and reused it for the sequels.

Love Grandia 1 but Justin was such a spastic. Will be using the Japanese audio on the remastered for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,247 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just coming in to say I am on my 82nd hour of DQ11 and am absolutely loving it.

God the first ten hours when I was complaining seem a lifetime ago. I may even prefer this to 8, the story went places I really wasn't expecting. Act 2 has been excellent.

I'm really happy ok not the sort to give up on a a game if the opening is weak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just beat the third dungeon in persona 5, seems facile so far. Does it ramp up at all? Does putting it in hard just up the enemy levels or shorten time limits etc?

Also dungeons seem more linear than I remember them being in 3 or 4. Way too linear for a modern game anyhow.

That cat handholding you for one dungeon is fine but still telling me when to go to bed etc. this far in is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Picked up the first Trials on Vita with the art book in the NISA Europe sale (also got The Silver Case on PS4)

Tokyo Mirage Sessions coming to Switch, saw Moon will be getting an English release, looks interesting
    https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8950-anti-rpg-moon-to-release-on-nintendo-switch-eshop-in-japan-on-october-10-later-worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I think that's good news!

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I think that's good news!
    I only watched the Direct because I'd nothing else on and was screaming over Deadly Preminition.
    Xenogears coming as well to Switch so hoping for more Wii / Wii u games
    Snes games are available online but not sure what games are on it.

How does the .Hack series hold up? I see its on sale and you get a lot of game for the price but is it worth playing today? Never played the series first time around in the ps2 days

How does the .Hack series hold up? I see its on sale and you get a lot of game for the price but is it worth playing today? Never played the series first time around in the ps2 days
    A friend recommended the PS4 version to me a few months ago I know absolutely nothing and they're fairly good gauging what I like, I'm sure someone else could tell you more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Here's what you need to know for .hack: All the games and anime are connected, they all tell parts of a larger story, you need to commit to it all which means playing all the games and watching all the anime.

Even at that the story is still unfinished and may never be finished, there are mysteries and plot threads that are unresolved and may never be resolved.

If you're still interested after all that then you should start by watching the .hack//SIGN anime to see if you actually like the story because it's 100% about the story, the gameplay isnt good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Loved .hack in general when I was younger. I only played one half of the original quadrilogy and I'd imagine there pretty rough to play these days. SIGN is great though, it has a very slow moving plot but the characters and atmosphere are excellent.
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions coming to Switch, saw Moon will be getting an English release, looks interesting
    https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8950-anti-rpg-moon-to-release-on-nintendo-switch-eshop-in-japan-on-october-10-later-worldwide

Delighted about this, it was made that the only non-Persona HD RPG by Atlus was only available on WiiU.

• Advertisement

Posted in the P5 thread but not here so
    Saw on Personal Central since I know pacing was something mentioned a lot

Ito and Wada also state that the game will feature improved pacing and quicker experience gain, which are elements allowing Persona 5 Royal to have a similar playtime length as the original game. The developers discussed improved pacing in terms of gameplay in a previous interview.

Persona 5 Royal to Have New Endings, Improved Pacing - https://personacentral.com/persona-5-royal-to-have-new-endings-improved-pacing/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I think the Arland trilogy for Switch was over €70 and nearly 10gb they're on my wait for a sale day list only played the first Dusk game on PS3 was fun.

First three Dragon Quest games coming to Switch, at surprisingly decent prices.

https://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-i-ii-and-iii-switch-releases-confirmed-for-the-west/

There's an English language release of all three physically from asia.

Definitely picking them all up. DQ1 is a fun short RPG, DQ2 is good but if a bit difficult and old school in how it doesn't tell you where to go.

DQ3 on the other hand is an absolute gem of a game. Still holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

These are ports of the mobile versions I take it?

The mobile versions are really good though. Unlike the final fantasy ones.

https://kotaku.com/22-years-later-a-major-milestone-for-rpgs-is-finally-c-1838156407

This is an interesting one, Moon a PSOne RPG that never made it out of Japan is getting a Switch release here.

"Its developer Love-de-Lic was founded by several RPG creators who had just left the company Square, where they had worked on games like Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. Moon was called an “anti-RPG.” In short, its hero is a child who has to run around the world of a Japanese role-playing game after the “hero” has already rampaged through it, killing all of its wildlife for experience points, smashing everyone’s pots, and generally being a nuisance."

Was announced at the last Nintendo direct. No plans outside of a switch release.

It's a legendary game for Japanese players. Love de lic always made interesting games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

On ch5 of trails of cold steel, great little game, looking forward to the next game.

Advertisement