Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota "self-charging" hybrids

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭creedp

There's a big need for a €10 per first hour over full charge and then a €10 a minute charge afterwards to free up charge points, that's the key to having access to all to charge points and not Nissan Leaf owners on 3 bars at 7.30 am leaving their cars on charge until they come home from work and doing this 5 days a week like a selfish ultra w@nker.

Presumably you're referring to slow or AC or what many call destination chargers rather than Rapid chargers. There are a lot of leafs in the country so no surprise they are going to be regularly found at charge points but not sure why you are singling leafs out for special attention though as all car brands can be found hogging charge points. I regularly use the on street e-cars charge points and lately find that many of these are regularly 'hogged' by PHEV's including Range Rovers, Volvos and Porche's. Not sure who would be considered more 'selfish untra [EMAIL="w@nkers'"]w@nkers'[/EMAIL] !!

Personally I don't believe anyone should hog a 'destination' charger all day if not charging but many don't agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah but it's Toyota's only option

What's this then? :)
    www.toyota.ie/models/prius-plugin/

Ha yes I forgot about that, I easily forget about that grossly over priced Toyota Prius PHEV. It's a joke.

Anyone who would buy that over a Kona for instance would be mad even though I think the Kona is too expensive for a Hyundai the Prius PHEV is too expensive for something with 8.8 Kwh battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Seemingly 23 PHEV sold by Toyota this year

Anyone who would buy that over a Kona for instance would be mad even though I think the Kona is too expensive for a Hyundai the Prius PHEV is too expensive for something with 8.8 Kwh battery.

The Kona isn't a PHEV, so not sure why you're comparing it. I agree the Prius PHV is stupidly expensive in Ireland, I'm surprised they're selling any at all, though I suspect >80% of those "sales" are demo cars. Even my 2012 Plug-in from NI was ex-demo (it was originally nearly £28k new).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Kona isn't a PHEV, so not sure why you're comparing it. I agree the Prius PHV is stupidly expensive in Ireland, I'm surprised they're selling any at all, though I suspect >80% of those "sales" are demo cars. Even my 2012 Plug-in from NI was ex-demo (it was originally nearly £28k new).

How long can the PHEV go on battery only in PHEV?

The current one will do around 40 km in the real world, which is comparable to other PHEVs out there.

I was saying that the price of the Prius PHEV is very high compared to the Kona EV considering the battery is tiny in the Prius PHEV.

But it's a PHEV so has an ICE too - you think they just stick that in (and the hybrid transaxle, etc.) for free? A battery is just one component, and that comparison makes little sense. PHEVs generally aren't the cheapest option, and the Prius PHV in particular is well-specced with a few new/expensive features (matrix LED headlights, carbon fibre hatch, etc.). It's not a cheap car for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

Self charging Hybrid Toyota , It's the future !

Very funny !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwa914awWDU

• Advertisement

Apparently, this is truly self charging!

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124478_world-s-largest-ev-never-has-to-be-recharged

The tyres make more noise than the motor!
    A quarry in Biel, Switzerland, is operating the world's largest electric vehicle, a 110-ton dump truck, to haul lime and marl off the side of a mountain to a cement factory. Perhaps best of all, it consumes no energy doing it.

How is that possible, you ask?

The dump truck, at 45 tons, ascends the 13-percent grade and takes on 65 tons of ore. With more than double the weight going back down the hill, the beast's regenerative braking system recaptures more than enough energy to refill the charge the eDumper used going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I didn't think car companies were political but anyway, Toyota hybrids are apparently the choice for BLM :confused:.

https://twitter.com/toyotaireland/status/1351190142715887617

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Kramer wrote: »
    oyota hybrids are apparently the choice for BLM :confused:.

No that's just called marketing and advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I ignore all that brand ambassador crap.

I'd much prefer if they gave one to a rep so I could see what they're actually like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you've got toyota supplying the looters and ford supplying the police, I'll take a ford please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you've got toyota supplying the looters and ford supplying the police, I'll take a ford please.

TBH, the looters is a better endorsement of the functionality of the product. You don't see many Ford trucks with machine guns mounted in the bed for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

McGaggs wrote: »
    TBH, the looters is a better endorsement of the functionality of the product. You don't see many Ford trucks with machine guns mounted in the bed for a reason.
    Nor do you see many hybrid toyotas with them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ELM327 wrote: »
    Nor do you see many hybrid toyotas with them :D

Recovering electric energy without reducing barrel speed is proving difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Kramer wrote: »
    I didn't think car companies were political but anyway, Toyota hybrids are apparently the choice for BLM :confused:.

https://twitter.com/toyotaireland/status/1351190142715887617

I'm actually confused with your reference to black lives matters tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Old diesel wrote: »
    I'm actually confused with your reference to black lives matters tbh

Toyota Ireland tweeted about someone who had spoken to their staff. I'd no idea who she was so clicked on her Twitter bio, to educate myself.
    The banner that pops up is BLM. She seems to be promoting BLM.

I assume she has some connection with Toyota - she likely drives a hybrid :pac:.

I'm interested in Toyota as I'm thinking of one of their self charging cars - the money I'd save on fuel & electricity would be insane :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Didn’t Toyota Ireland run a campaign a short while ago about helping to prevent catalytic converter theft from their cars???

I’ve an idea on how to prevent cat converter thefts in Toyota cars..... but all Toyota’s cars come with IC engines so it’ll never work.......

Advertisement