Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,731 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Best mate is test driving next week. I'm jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

If you're going to Germany you may be able to rent a Model 3 Performance.
    https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-100-model-3-orders-germany-nextmove/

Why rent if you can test drive it for free :D

But yeah might be handy. I wanted to rent a Model S on my family (5) holiday to the USA last year as we had to do a lot of driving (started in NYC, ended in Florida) with a lot of luggage but it was pretty much impossible / prohibitively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

hatrack wrote: »
    I think the delay in receiving something like an E-Tron is purely down to production rather than any sort of high demand.

Tesla are producing 5,000 Model 3s a week. I doubt any of the other manufacturers are at anything like that.

etron 1400/week I understand with possibility to increase to match demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

cnocbui wrote: »

I said the European customer would not stand for the poor build quality, especially the Germans

Tesla really need to get quality control sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I said the European customer would not stand for the poor build quality, especially the Germans

Tesla really need to get quality control sorted

Love Tesla but they are a pack of cowboys

After watching this vid it has really turned me off them

Pity as they are the only game in town

https://youtu.be/FSLTNjGI8hw

Mike9832 wrote: »

Hardly only game in town, Nissan/BMW/Hyundai/Kia etc all have options....

When you see a car getting delivered to a person with two different front seats then you know they have serious issues.....

Some people say the other manufacturers are slow, I just think they are naking sure they get it right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

It's very one sided and the author is obviously only looking for negative stuff as usual.

Just to take the first post as an example:
    SebboMSP is very happy with his purchase: Nicht falsch verstehen, ich bin sehr glücklich über meinen "kleinen"...

I've not heard of any issues in Norway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When you see a car getting delivered to a person with two different front seats then you know they have serious issues.....

Some people say the other manufacturers are slow, I just think they are naking sure they get it right....
    Tell us more about the two different seats , I think that’s a case of fake news. I did read a story where someone got a seat replaced after delivery and it was a newer version of the seat

Skip to 1:08 https://youtu.be/RSnwT2t2Dik

It makes you wonder what else is VW fanboys spreading fake news.

You know they are the only game in town

Tesla are the only one's trying and still making a balls of it

Autogiants are only half assing it at the moment, this doesn't need to be explained to you, does it?

If Nissan really wanted to give it a go they would have had a 60kWh Qashqai out years ago, BMW a 60kWh 3 series to crush Tesla etc

Hyundai/Kia EV's are as rare as Bugatti's, they ain't trying

Stop with the smart replies for once

Their not that smart......

You know they are the only game in town

Tesla are the only one's trying and still making a balls of it

Autogiants are only half assing it at the moment, this doesn't need to be explained to you, does it?

If Nissan really wanted to give it a go they would have had a 60kWh Qashqai out years ago, BMW a 60kWh 3 series to crush Tesla etc

Hyundai/Kia EV's are as rare as Bugatti's, they ain't trying

Give us a description of what Tesla are currently doing?

You answer the question about the 2 different seats first....fake news....lacking Credibility

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Tell us more about the two different seats , I think that’s a case of fake news. I did read a story where someone got a seat replaced after delivery and it was a newer version of the seat

Skip to 1:08 https://youtu.be/RSnwT2t2Dik

It makes you wonder what else is VW fanboys spreading fake news.

https://imgur.com/a/e7T6y

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/two-different-seats-what-gives

Fake news if you are Trump.

....aaaand in the Model 3 : https://insideevs.com/video-tesla-model-3-2-different-front-seats/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

A model S for €120k+ is hardly the only game in town, as evidenced by the pitiful 13 new models registered here in January (up from 12 last year).
    Tesla are still just a plaything for wealthy early adopters. If they’re not careful the mainstream manufacturers will catch and consume them very soon

sk8board wrote: »
    A model S for €120k+ is hardly the only game in town, as evidenced by the pitiful 13 new models registered here in January (up from 12 last year).
    Tesla are still just a plaything for wealthy early adopters.

Tesla Model S is the best selling EV in countries such as NL and NO

It's all about taxes. In forward looking countries, EVs get good tax breaks. In dirty Ireland, the country with the highest diesel sales in the world a few years ago :rolleyes: there is less excise on cancer causing diesel than there is on petrol :rolleyes:

There don't seem to be any politicians around that have the balls to stop this crap

Tesla are still just a plaything for wealthy early adopters. If they’re not careful the mainstream manufacturers will catch and consume them very soon

Have you heard of the Model 3?

Tesla are the only mass producer worldwide

100k sales last quarter

No autogiant are mass producing EV's at that scale and won't for years

Mass producing electric cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The model 3 one is the video ted linked too. His seat was squeaking and was replaced. The seats have been facelifted in between so the newer (improved one) is slightly different. They are sending out a new passenger seat to match the new drives seat.

It didnt get delivered with 2 different seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In fairness, how many of any 120k+ cars were registered here this year? Hardly massive numbers I wouldnt think.

Have you heard of the Model 3?

Tesla are the only mass producer worldwide

100k sales last quarter

No autogiant are mass producing EV's at that scale and won't for years

You’re confusing ‘mass producing’ with ‘only producing’. There were 74m cars built worldwide in 2018.
    Tesla’s are expensive for the overwhelming majority of buyers, which is my point, and I know someone well who has a new S and an X and combined they cost a hair under €300k (which is bizarre when you think about it - but this is my point, he’s a wealthy early adopter and that ultimately helps create the market for the rest of us)

What is the actual cost of delivering a model 3 in Ireland? Their average cost was $59k in the US, so I’m guessing it’s more like €70k here

The internet might love tesla, as do I - but the mass market consumer will judge them on price and quality - they currently have little of either.

What is the actual cost of delivering a model 3 in Ireland? Their average cost was $59k in the US, so I’m guessing it’s more like €70k here

We don't know the Irish pricing yet, but a full EV costing USD59k (EUR52k) over there is likely to cost a lot less than EUR70k over here, the car will have about EUR12k VAT and EUR4k VRT, but also attracts a EUR5k subsdiy

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Upgrade of Superchargers to support Model 3 CCS has commenced in the UK. Same process started in Europe about three months before they started deliveries.

Any idea if they will let non-Tesla cars charge on the CCS? Could become a nice earner for Tesla. The going rate for public in the Netherlands (Fastned) if you don't have a monthly sub is 59c/kWh. I would gladly pay that to Tesla for the privilege / convenience / speed of using their chargers.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

One of the previous posters was correct in that the big boys like BMW,Audi and Mercedes are not even trying yes they will have some models out like the i3 and i7 but I really could not warm to, but in the grand scheme of things they are working away to get the technology right and mature before they really go to market, smart move.

Tesla are in a lot of trouble globally and really need to get their act together.
    Their cars are really poor quality wise even the 120k + Model S, I can only imagine what dirt these model 3 will be. The early adopters will put up with shoddy workmanship as they want to be at the cutting edge of technology I get that but try and get a 5 series or 7 series BMW driver to go with a Tesla will be a tough sell.

Maybe Tesla should have gone after the cheap end of the market first like Nissan, Kia, Huandai etc where people don’t expect the same levels of quality and it’s really about saving on the TCO. The sweet spot in this market now is the low end not the high end. I am sure it will get there but it’s years away, I won’t even go into the charging infrastructure. Electric cars are great for a certain portion of the market, it will be interesting what the big brands do next and if they start releasing EV versions of their big sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

unkel wrote: »
    We don't know the Irish pricing yet, but a full EV costing USD59k (EUR52k) over there is likely to cost a lot less than EUR70k over here, the car will have about EUR12k VAT and EUR4k VRT, but also attracts a EUR5k subsdiy

Won't it attract 10% import duty as well, being made in a third country without a trade agreement?

That’s all true, but as a general rule, the dollar value of a US car sold domestically is always less than the euro price when it lands in Europe. It’ll be above €60k for sure, and just like in the US they won’t build any entry level models, to protect their profit margins

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Won't it attract 10% import duty as well, being made in a third country without a trade agreement?

The Tesla Model S avoided import duty as the cars were officially "manufactured" in Tilburg (the Netherlands). Not sure if the same will be the case for Model 3.

• Advertisement

It’ll be above €60k for sure, and just like in the US they won’t build any entry level models, to protect their profit margins

The current mid range car is for sale in the US currently for USD42.5k iirc. This would be a reasonably affordable car over here too, similar price to a base Audi A4 diesel or BMW 318d. With tiny running costs.

It's just the promised USD35k base model is nowhere to be seen

TCP/IP wrote: »
    One of the previous posters was correct in that the big boys like BMW,Audi and Mercedes are not even trying yes they will have some models out like the i3 and i7 but I really could not warm to, but in the grand scheme of things they are working away to get the technology right and mature before they really go to market, smart move.

Tesla are in a lot of trouble globally and really need to get their act together.
    Their cars are really poor quality wise even the 120k + Model S, I can only imagine what dirt these model 3 will be. The early adopters will put up with shoddy workmanship as they want to be at the cutting edge of technology I get that but try and get a 5 series or 7 series BMW driver to go with a Tesla will be a tough sell.

Maybe Tesla should have gone after the cheap end of the market first like Nissan, Kia, Huandai etc where people don’t expect the same levels of quality and it’s really about saving on the TCO. The sweet spot in this market now is the low end not the high end. I am sure it will get there but it’s years away, I won’t even go into the charging infrastructure. Electric cars are great for a certain portion of the market, it will be interesting what the big brands do next and if they start releasing EV versions of their big sellers.

You have to applaud their efforts so far, yeah they are cowboys

The stuff they have got away with so far is laughable

Even the batteries they use are crazy

Two-bit 7000+ AA sized batteries that go up like jet fuel on impact, only Tesla are using outdated NCA chemistry every other automaker is using much less flammable NCM based chemistry

Haven't read of Model 3 fires yet, but Model S with it's off shelf laptop batteries seems to be a regular occurrence

https://electrek.co/2019/02/25/tesla-crash-burning-car-door-handles/

The current mid range car is for sale in the US currently for USD42.5k iirc. This would be a reasonably affordable car over here too, similar price to a base Audi A4 diesel or BMW 318d. With tiny running costs.

It's just the promised USD35k base model is nowhere to be seen

According to the insideEV website, in Q4 last year “Tesla Model 3 Average Selling Price Hits $60,000”
    Other websites have similar versions - up from $55k avg in Q2 and Q3.

That's average as at that point mostly the AWD / long range / performance were sold afaik. In the USA you get a federal tax break of USD7.5k too and in California a bit more in state incentives, so the Model 3 mid range after incentives is a USD35k car

Linky

That's average as at that point mostly the AWD / long range / performance were sold afaik. In the USA you get a federal tax break of USD7.5k too and in California a bit more in state incentives, so the Model 3 mid range after incentives is a USD35k car

Linky

A $35k model 3 is still simply untrue and now a distant dream. The tax break you refer to was halved on Jan 2nd and will half again on July 2nd and then vanish year end. The $35k included those rebates.

Anyway, we digress - the pricing for the model 3 in Ireland will be out soon - meanwhile it’s on the configurator for Netherlands, France and Spain as €59-60k starting price and €5k for the enhanced autopilot (which let’s face it is a mandatory option).
    In Ireland all previous evidence points to that €65k being €70k+.

https://electrek.co/2018/12/05/tesla-model-3-europe-configure/

Yeah I agree sk8board, no such thing as a cheap Tesla yet. I very much doubt thought that if I were to buy a base model, that I would tick the AP button. 5k is a lot of money for a system that can't really do an awful lot today. Similar functionality on Hyundai Ioniq where it is standard on the €25k car.

With half of the federal tax break, it is still a USD38750 (EUR34k) in California though. Lot of car for the money

And you have to compare it to Ioniq and Kona which in California do not sell below MRSP plus USD3k and MRSP plus USD5k respectively :eek:

The car is a no brainer over there. All sorts of awful QC issues, but they are covered under warranty and Tesla is good at making good problems with cars.

Best mate is test driving next week. I'm jealous!

And he drove it, just the AWD long range, not the performance. He just sent me an email titled "Bye bye ICE" and he is already planning on selling his BMW

Say no more :D

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

And he drove it, just the AWD long range, not the performance. He just sent me an email titled "Bye bye ICE" and he is already planning on selling his BMW

Say no more :D

To points you say Tesla is good at making right QC issues when everything points to they are not. They seem to be terrible at fixing issues with crazy wait times.

Also model did your friend test and what sort and Year BMW did your friend have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was with the kids the other day looked around and they were trying to pull the charging cable out of a Tesla, just told them stop and all was fine but it got me thinking, when you leave your car charging can someone take the cable? Just had a look at the one the lads were tugging on and it's worth 300+ on ebay.

• Advertisement

I was with the kids the other day looked around and they were trying to pull the charging cable out of a Tesla, just told them stop and all was fine but it got me thinking, when you leave your car charging can someone take the cable? Just had a look at the one the lads were tugging on and it's worth 300+ on ebay.

The cable is typically locked at both ends when charging on public stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

samih wrote: »
    The cable is typically locked at both ends when charging on public stations.

Didn't look locked, it was one of these Are they like a suckerfish, like they stick into the car when charging and need to be released with the key or something.

Also model did your friend test

It's in my post ;)
    what sort and Year BMW did your friend have?

He has a 2016 120i he's owned from new. He has experience (racing) driving much faster cars though and he also owns several motorbikes

He reckoned the Model 3 drives seriously well

Didn't look locked, it was one of these Are they like a suckerfish, like they stick into the car when charging and need to be released with the key or something.

Well most EVs apart from the 2011-12 LEAF lock the cable at the car end when inserted. And any public charging post I have used lock the cable automatically to the charger and it's realeased using the RFID tag the session was initiated with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

samih wrote: »
    Well most EVs apart from the 2011-12 LEAF lock the cable at the car end when inserted. And any public charging post I have used lock the cable automatically to the charger and it's realeased using the RFID tag the session was initiated with.

Type 2 locks at both ends
    Type 1 does not unless you have a button to set it in the car.

Friend on the continent is trying to get some insurance quotes for Model 3 and very interestingly and encouragingly, he is getting better quotes if he goes for the autopilot option - which makes the car EUR5k more expensive!

I've read about this before online that in the US that the insurance on the model S is coming down because of AutoPilot (already safer than human driving), but I had not heard about it first hand from Europe

• Advertisement

Friend on the continent is trying to get some insurance quotes for Model 3 and very interestingly and encouragingly, he is getting better quotes if he goes for the autopilot option - which makes the car EUR5k more expensive!

I've read about this before online that in the US that the insurance on the model S is coming down because of AutoPilot (already safer than human driving), but I had not heard about it first hand from Europe

Oh yeah? That safer than humans porkies again... :rolleyes:
    NHTSA Claim That Tesla Autosteer Reduced Crashes Proven Bogus
    In January 2017, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released a statement on the safety and efficacy of Tesla’s Autosteer technology. According to the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), Tesla’s lane-keeping technology had reduced accident rates by nearly 40 percent. We now know that number was completely wrong, based on a new analysis of the same data set the NHTSA used to reach that conclusion.

The analysis firm Quality Control Systems filed an FOIA request with the NHTSA to see the actual data the organization had used. The NHTSA had already backed away from its own conclusion, having issued a statement a bit less than a year ago that the 40-percent figure was merely a preliminary conclusion. What QCS found upon investigation, however, was a set of errors so egregious, they wrecked any predictive capability that could be drawn from the data set at all. In fact, the most narrow read of the most accurate data set would suggest that enabling Autosteer actually increased the rate of Tesla accidents by 59 percent.
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/285829-nhtsa-claim-that-tesla-autosteer-reduced-crashes-proven-bogus
    Tesla Model S Tops List Of Most Expensive To Insure
    AAA raises Tesla insurance rates 30 percent; company disputes analysis
    Tesla's affordable Model 3 is expensive to insure
    The average Model 3 insurance cost across 150 ZIP codes is $2,814 per year, which is $35 less than the cost of insuring a Porsche 911, according to Gabi Personal Insurance Agency Inc., an online insurance shopping site.

"In the last month we had more and more people coming in with Model 3, and they were all complaining about high insurance costs," says Gabi CEO Hanno Fichtner.

I didn't say Teslas were cheap to insure. But I'm telling you that several insurance companies gave him a lower quote with AP than without AP. The only reason an insurance company would do that is, based on their data, the former is less prone to claims. You can google all day for articles saying that I'm wrong, but this is what happened ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭josip

I didn't say Teslas were cheap to insure. But I'm telling you that several insurance companies gave him a lower quote with AP than without AP. The only reason an insurance company would do that is, based on their data, the former is less prone to claims. You can google all day for articles saying that I'm wrong, but this is what happened ;)

Where do these European insurance companies get their data from?
    Are they using Model S/X AP data from Europe or model 3 AP data from the US?

Tesla Model 3 manages over 1000km on one charge

Driven on autopilot on a track, unmanned :eek:

Tesla Model 3 manages over 1000km on one charge

chpy0Yz5eNs&t=19s

Driven on autopilot on a track, unmanned :eek:
    What’s was the average speed ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.