Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Sabre Man wrote: »
    UK to get Model 3 configurator within 2 months, Australia to follow
    https://thedriven.io/2019/02/11/tesla-uk-model-3/

I wonder if the configurator will open to Ireland at the same time as the UK.

Nice

A 192 Model 3 is a possibility for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Sabre Man wrote: »

I wonder if the configurator will open to Ireland at the same time as the UK.

I'd reckon it's almost certain. The US factory will switch over to make a big batch of all-RHD models so it makes sense to cover the UK, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Australia and maybe even Japan.

If they only make premium/performance/AWD ones, then anyone who wants a 'cheaper' model would have to wait until the next batches (end 2019?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

I might be totally wrong but I have the feeling the Model 3 is not selling like hotcakes in some European markets. The delivery time (for non reservation holders) has not changed since the configurator launched.

In Germany, €63,500 for the long-range with metallic pain and autopilot incl. the government subsidy is still quite a lot. The mid-range might bring that down by about €7000, but will that be enough?

Elon Must did hint at bring the mid-range to all markets by the middle of the year.
    https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-tesla-profitable-q4-mid-range-model-3-europe-china/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

embraer170 wrote: »
    I might be totally wrong but I have the feeling the Model 3 is not selling like hotcakes in some European markets. The delivery time (for non reservation holders) has not changed since the configurator launched.

In Germany, €63,500 for the long-range with metallic pain and autopilot incl. the government subsidy is still quite a lot. The mid-range might bring that down by about €7000, but will that be enough?

Elon Must did hint at bring the mid-range to all markets by the middle of the year.
    https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-tesla-profitable-q4-mid-range-model-3-europe-china/

Of course it is not going to sell like hot cakes. It's too expensive.

Most reservations got put down based on a price of 35k dollers. Not 60-70k euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    I'd reckon it's almost certain. The US factory will switch over to make a big batch of all-RHD models so it makes sense to cover the UK, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Australia and maybe even Japan.

If they only make premium/performance/AWD ones, then anyone who wants a 'cheaper' model would have to wait until the next batches (end 2019?).

Tax makes them to expensive, the RHD market won’t be able to afford them. It’s one if the reasons we get poverty specs. They need to ship the cheaper ones here.
    Also ironically the price of petrol means the savings are higher here.

I put petrol in a rental car here today 32 litres for less than 15 euro. The places which can afford the bigger prices one have the cheapest fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There isn't going to be a cheap model 3. The original price was predicated on a near fully autonomous factory, and so low wage costs. That has proven to be impossible, so the original price can't be met while making the company profitable.

Apparently total orders i Europe are around 20 K, which doesn't seem like very many:

000.png
    https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-orders-europe-20000/

cnocbui wrote: »

Apparently total orders i Europe are around 20 K, which doesn't seem like very many:

What are you on about?

20k sold already

That will make it the best selling EV in Europe in 2019 by far

The best selling EV in 2018 in Europe was the Leaf at 33k

Tesla Model 3 will blow that figure away

Don't get ye guys sometimes

There isn't going to be a cheap model 3. The original price was predicated on a near fully autonomous factory, and so low wage costs. That has proven to be impossible, so the original price can't be met while making the company profitable.

000.png
    https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-orders-europe-20000/

They have a sub 35k one (after tax break etc ) they are getting closer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ok so an entry level Nissan Leaf is $22,490 after incentives, so that puts a Model 3 at 55% more than a Nissan Leaf. Entry level Model 3 at €45,000?

Mike9832 wrote: »
    What are you on about?

20k sold already

That will make it the best selling EV in Europe in 2019 by far

The best selling EV in 2018 in Europe was the Leaf at 33k

Tesla Model 3 will blow that figure away

Don't get ye guys sometimes

20k car is a drop in the ocean for the amount of cars sold in Europe....this was supposed to be the car of the people. A cheap BEV to change the masses from combustion to electric

Clearly it isn't. It is a car that is for maybe 1-2% of the market.

What I would like to see is 200,000 electric cars sold in Europe in year 1, 400k in year 2 and 600k in year 3. Then it will make a dent.

• Advertisement

https://electrek.co/2019/02/18/tesla-standard-model-3-battery-website-fans-panic/

Look like the Model 3 35k doller car is gone the way of the dodo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,698 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tesla "after gas savings" pricing has always annoyed me. It's patronizing. And incorrect, given the figures are obviously dependent on your annual mileage. As well as your locale, world oil prices, etc. We can do our own sums, thanks, Tesla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2019/02/18/tesla-standard-model-3-battery-website-fans-panic/

Look like the Model 3 35k doller car is gone the way of the dodo.....

I wouldnt believe anything from that website!.... unless it suited my bias of course. :D

KCross wrote: »
    I wouldnt believe anything from that website!.... unless it suited my bias of course. :D

When the Tesla "fanboy" website is concerned then you really know something is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone expecting to buy a Tesla for $35k and then have grants and credits applied was and remains delusional.
    The mid range RWD at $42k before tax credits is nearly $35k after grants and credits in most states so I think that's as far as it goes tbh

ELM327 wrote: »
    Anyone expecting to buy a Tesla for $35k and then have grants and credits applied was and remains delusional.
    The mid range RWD at $42k before tax credits is nearly $35k after grants and credits in most states so I think that's as far as it goes tbh

Mid, does imply that’s there’s a lower model. I’d hazard a guess and say they just took it down and will stick it up later. Perhaps the online availability is holding back sales of the mid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There's an outside chance he'll be able to declare his goal achieved in his China plant.

We wont be buying €35k Model 3's here.

ted1 wrote: »
    Mid, does imply that’s there’s a lower model. I’d hazard a guess and say they just took it down and will stick it up later. Perhaps the online availability is holding back sales of the mid

Exactly

It will be out worldwide when VW etc have something to compete with it, sometime around 2021 lol

Tesla right now can sell every Model 3 they produce, what's the point releasing a standard Model 3 and kill margin when they have all below yet to be released
    Tesla has many, many demand levers they can pull besides a cheaper base Model 3. These include, but are not limited to:
    1 – Reintroducing the RWD Long Range
    2 – Leasing
    3 – New colors
    4 – New autopilot hardware
    5 – Reducing prices of existing options (IE, offer EAP for cheaper, which they already do in China)
    6 – Expanding to more markets, IE, the RHD markets.
    7 – Ludicrous Model 3
    8 – Smart Air Suspension
    9 – Even longer range Model 3

I could go on and on, but I think you might be getting the idea (and if you aren’t, I don’t know that another 9 would change that) – Tesla has endless demand levers they could be pulling. The fact that they have so many available that they aren’t touching indicates that demand is very strong without any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Exactly

It will be out worldwide when VW etc have something to compete with it, sometime around 2021 lol

Tesla right now can sell every Model 3 they produce, what's the point releasing a standard Model 3 and kill margin when they have all below yet to be released

Yet the delivery estimate for markets where the Model 3 is on sale in Europe is still March 2019, not changing at all since December.

In Germany if I want any of the Hyundai/Kia EVs, a Zoe or even a E-Tron, I probably will not get my hands on one before the end of the year.

I have no doubt Tesla has big sales potential but not at any price, especially with more real competitors coming on the market. Ludicrous mode, smart air suspension, cheaper options, new colours may expand the market for Tesla fanboys but not the normal premium car buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

embraer170 wrote: »
    Yet the delivery estimate for markets where the Model 3 is on sale in Europe is still March 2019, not changing at all since December.

In Germany if I want any of the Hyundai/Kia EVs, a Zoe or even a E-Tron, I probably will not get my hands on one before the end of the year.

I have no doubt Tesla has big sales potential but not at any price, especially with more real competitors coming on the market. Ludicrous mode, smart air suspension, cheaper options, new colours may expand the market for Tesla fanboys but not the normal premium car buyer.

I think the delay in receiving something like an E-Tron is purely down to production rather than any sort of high demand.

Tesla are producing 5,000 Model 3s a week. I doubt any of the other manufacturers are at anything like that.

• Advertisement

Best mate is test driving next week. I'm jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

If you're going to Germany you may be able to rent a Model 3 Performance.
    https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-100-model-3-orders-germany-nextmove/

Why rent if you can test drive it for free :D

But yeah might be handy. I wanted to rent a Model S on my family (5) holiday to the USA last year as we had to do a lot of driving (started in NYC, ended in Florida) with a lot of luggage but it was pretty much impossible / prohibitively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

hatrack wrote: »
    I think the delay in receiving something like an E-Tron is purely down to production rather than any sort of high demand.

Tesla are producing 5,000 Model 3s a week. I doubt any of the other manufacturers are at anything like that.

etron 1400/week I understand with possibility to increase to match demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I said the European customer would not stand for the poor build quality, especially the Germans

Tesla really need to get quality control sorted

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I said the European customer would not stand for the poor build quality, especially the Germans

Tesla really need to get quality control sorted

Love Tesla but they are a pack of cowboys

After watching this vid it has really turned me off them

Pity as they are the only game in town

https://youtu.be/FSLTNjGI8hw

Love Tesla but they are a pack of cowboys

After watching this vid it has really turned me off them

Pity as they are the only game in town

https://youtu.be/FSLTNjGI8hw

Hardly only game in town, Nissan/BMW/Hyundai/Kia etc all have options....

When you see a car getting delivered to a person with two different front seats then you know they have serious issues.....

Some people say the other manufacturers are slow, I just think they are naking sure they get it right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

It's very one sided and the author is obviously only looking for negative stuff as usual.

Just to take the first post as an example:
    SebboMSP is very happy with his purchase: Nicht falsch verstehen, ich bin sehr glücklich über meinen "kleinen"...

I've not heard of any issues in Norway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement