Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyscrapers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

While there is still farmland within the M50, Dublin can never be considered overcrowded.

It doesn't need high-rise.
    I'm not opposed, but there isn't any need either.

It just could be so much more compact and save thousands of people many hours of travelling and money spent on travelling to and from the city centre too. Even going on the luas into stephens green there are so many derelict and empty sites in the very heart of the city that could easily be filled with apartments or student residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i dunno maybe its just me but i wouldn't call that boring or that or that either

And do you think Dublins just going to suddenly sprout a world famous skyline? Yeah if you cherry pick the most beautiful skylines then you have a good point but most cities with skyscrapers just look like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

bb1234567 wrote: »
    And do you think Dublins just going to suddenly sprout a world famous skyline? Yeah if you cherry pick the most beautiful skylines then you have a good point but most cities with skyscrapers just look like this.

Maybe the horrific ones of the 1970s. But the more modern ones are incredible eg pretty much all the ones built in NYC and London in the last 10-15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

We should just build one huge skyscraper fronting the Atlantic and put everyone in it. Dubs on bottom. Munster people on top of course. Be grand and warm, cut down on the light bill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Mint Aero wrote: »
    We should just build one huge skyscraper fronting the Atlantic and put everyone in it. Dubs on bottom. Munster people on top of course. Be grand and warm, cut down on the light bill too.
    Stick it on top of the Cliffs of Moher and we'll be sorted when the La Palma mega Tsunami strikes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i dunno maybe its just me but i wouldn't call that boring or that or that either

Pfft! Astana ftw! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

hfallada wrote: »
    The US doesn't build tall due to the fact it isn't worthwhile financially after a certain height. It's economically feasible in Dubai due to the fact they have close to modern day slavery. They have done of migrant workers that live in slums and often never get paid.

Dublin doesnt have sky scapers as there is lobbying from certain group's to protect the heritage of the city. They rather have sprawling suburbs with no transport links to the city than high rise in the city. They have some belief that we need to protect the city skyline.
    The exact same is true for Dublin as it is for your US factoid, just on a smaller scale. The economics don't stack up to build over ~20 storeys in central Dublin. Outside the CBD the economics don't stack up to build over ~10.

There is an application atm for a building in the Docklands that would be allowed up to 25 storeys, but the developer is only going for 21 due to the fact that it would be too expensive to build any more given what he could rent them for. Even in a market with exorbitant Grade A office rents.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

circadian wrote: »
    Where's the farmland within the M50?

Hillside Farm to the south of DCU. 50 odd acres.
    conorhal wrote: »
    A common misconception among those that dont seem to know that there is no problem getting planning permission for skyscrapers in designated high density zones like the docklands or Hueston South Quater or out in Tallaght and Leopardstown etc. These are the same baffled eejits that seem to think that what's holding back the city is the refusal to vandalise a single square mile of Georgian Dublin as was done during the 60's and 70's, the last time our planners strove for 'progress' and gave us Hawkins House and Liberty Hall.

Under the Docklands SDZ, the mean, mode and median average height permitted for commercial buildings are all around 8 stories. I think there are two small sites where a maximum of 22 stories is allowed, 3 with a maximum of 12-13 and around 25 where only 5-8 storey buildings are permitted. That's before you include the countless 6 story buildings that's already there. I just don't agree with putting such heavy restrictions before a design is even visualised.

I don't want to see historic Dublin replaced with modern buildings but I also don't want to see land wasted in the docklands. The SDZ plan makes for a harrowing read. The misconception is on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Met a Saudi at a bar in Boston last summer who's a member of the family that owns Kingdom Holdings who are behind this project.

He was evidently stinking rich, he explained to me that presidential suite in which he was staying at at a city hotel had been flooded by a fairly catastrophic leak in the one of the rooms WC, and that he had refused the hotel's offer to comp his stay, offering to pay for the damage himself. He was over in the states for dental surgery. A smarmy, obnoxious **** when sober, he had a too much to drink (two cosmos - I shi-t you not) and proceeded to abuse every other bar and restaurant patron. He then offered to buy out the bar for the evening so that all of the other people there would have to clear off.

These wealthy Saudis are dicks.

Advertisement