Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

{Northern Regions Thread}Cold Week ahead, snow possible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Rougies wrote: »
    I believe, I believe! Glad to hear you're getting snow :) The retweets can be confusing with locations ;)

I should have ventured out in that driving wind, last night, to take pics!! It is lashing rain now. Bloody gutted!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

All green here in Donegal Town. Wind still strong with severe gusts. Looking at the radar ( if it can be trusted more than yesterday ) it's about to get very wet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

blizzard like conditions here now with gales and driving sleety snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Pangea wrote: »
    Lots of disruption in the North already.
    I'm sure the Russians will be very amused if tonight's WC qualifier is called off by what they would consider to be a light snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Met services of both jurisdictions seem to have been bang on with the scale and spread of the snowfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Handy website for looking at belfast:

http://trafficwatchni.com/cameras

Seems to be a decent plastering of snow. Sandyknowles cam would be the highest in terms of altitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

1am here this morning 1.5c snowing heavy and sticking before I went to bed. 6am 3.6c and raining. My brother who lives in Belfast is driving back here and said connections are atrocious with serious snow in places and he had no power all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Glenshane Pass is now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Some Real snow in Belfast on News at the moment , nothing dripping there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Walking home last night at about 1230 and the conditions were atrocious, sleet and snow coming down heavy and starting to stick, there was about a cm of slush, very messy. Power flickered quite a few times. Was expecting to see everywhere covered when I awoke this morning but it's gone, lots of excess water. Quite surprised as we live in an area of south armagh that usually gets snow if there's any around. Hoping it stays off tomorrow for my sisters wedding, as it'll make travelling difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Some nice big flakes falling. My electric went off after 4am. Hope the Russia v N Ireland match will be on later.

Heaviest snow so far in blizzard like conditions on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 midsker

Hi all,

Am seeing mixed reports for the north later so wondering what ye think the road conditions will be like later? Am due to travel to the donegal side of Enniskillen from the midlands via Cavan and due to return Sunday.

Any ideas what the road conditions will be like around 4pm today?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Derryveagh mountains were covered this morning and there was a good bit of snow on the road but disappeared to nothing by the time I reached Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

N.Ireland v Russia OFF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hard to believe that Northern Ireland is covered in snow, just crappy cold rain in the republic. Once again the snow totally favours the UK as if it reachs the border and magically turns to rain as soon as it hits counties Cavan, Monaghan and Louth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    hard to believe that Northern Ireland is covered in snow, just crappy cold rain in the republic. Once again the snow totally favours the UK as if it reachs the border and magically turns to rain as soon as it hits counties Cavan, Monaghan and Louth:)

Dear God you really are never satisfied. I love how you've totally forgotten the almost 3 inches we had here in Meath just a few days ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83728016&postcount=383
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83727727&postcount=376
    Very rare in late March. Who the hell wants a wet frigid blizzard when it's almost April? These are absolutely awful conditions for agriculture and wildlife in general.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rc28 wrote: »
    Dear God you really are never satisfied. I love how you've totally forgotten the almost 3 inches we had here in Meath just a few days ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83728016&postcount=383
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83727727&postcount=376
    Very rare in late March. Who the hell wants a wet frigid blizzard when it's almost April? These are absolutely awful conditions for agriculture and wildlife in general.

I was refering to the situation right now! not taking into account what we had during the week which unfortunately I missed out on the best part of it. And we could see some snow over the next week but really I dont mind if we get it or not because it's time to move on, Ive already switched on my summer mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would be confident about rain turning to snow in north Leinster and any parts of Ulster in that situation, shortly after dark, as the upper support for snow is moving south overnight. By morning it is likely to be snowing almost as far south as Drogheda to Longford and then with some variations due to daytime heating this trend will continue south all day Saturday. Look for some heavy overnight accumulations in Monaghan and Cavan, maybe not as heavy for Louth, Meath and Westmeath but generally in the 5-20 cm range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I almost given up hope for more snow in Donegal. Everything appears to miss us tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I would be confident about rain turning to snow in north Leinster and any parts of Ulster in that situation, shortly after dark, as the upper support for snow is moving south overnight. By morning it is likely to be snowing almost as far south as Drogheda to Longford and then with some variations due to daytime heating this trend will continue south all day Saturday. Look for some heavy overnight accumulations in Monaghan and Cavan, maybe not as heavy for Louth, Meath and Westmeath but generally in the 5-20 cm range.

Thanks again for your valued input MT. How far South do you think the precipitation will make or is it very difficult to say? Met Eireann have it for Ulster and East Leinster only tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Is this strictly in Northern Ireland or is there a chance of snow falling in Louth? I live in the Cooley Peninsula, not far from the border

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

N.Ireland v Russia OFF

On tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

How far west is snow expected. ?
    Does the north/south snow/rain line stretch to the west coast ?

Proper snow now - Whiteout conditions. Electric keeps going off. Hope the Russia match will be on tomorrow but have my doubts.

Whiteout in Ballyclare Co. Antrim
    Photo courtesy of Northern Ireland Weather Forecast Facebook page
    UAAu8gJl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Wet snow falling here, 1.5C dp -0.3 , not expecting anything as exciting as seen up north!

East Antrim in darkness - Major Powercut - Like North Korea at night:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

rilz wrote: »
    East Antrim in darkness - Major Powercut - Like North Korea at night:D

Sounds class. 100miles to your west there is p1ss all. I threw up after seeing pics of the snow depth over there it sickened me that much haha. Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

rilz wrote: »
    East Antrim in darkness

So Paisley's making a comeback is he? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement