Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

{Northern Regions Thread}Cold Week ahead, snow possible

Options
  • 21-03-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Looks like parts of NI could see up to 40cms going by the latest BBC forecasts.

Heres the Latest Met UK Warning.
    Issued at - 21 Mar 2013, 12:17
    Valid from - 22 Mar 2013, 00:05
    Valid to - 22 Mar 2013, 23:59

Heavy rain will spread northwards across Northern Ireland on Thursday night, and will turn increasingly to snow later in the night and during Friday. Highest snow accumulations of 30 cm or more are likely to be across the hills of Antrim and Down, with strong to gale force southeasterly winds giving drifting and blizzard conditions. Accumulations of 10 cm or so are possible at low-level, though towards the east coast rain and sleet will be more prevalent, with a risk of localised flooding.

The public should be prepared for the possibility of severe disruption, particularly to transport and to power supplies.

Heres MET.IEs take on it
    Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Rain, sleet and snow mix will give some lying snow accumulations especially on hills but also at some lower levels. There will be blizzards and drifting in the strong winds.

Issued:21 March 2013 06:00
    Valid:21 March 2013 21:00 to 24 March 2013 03:00

See the other thread for M.Ts thoughts on it.

Should be quite an event for those there.
    Let the Games begin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Maybe it should be a Level 3 but I dont want to set a precedent , or do I? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Pangea wrote: »
    Looks like parts of NI could see up to 40cms going by the latest BBC forecasts.

Heres the Latest Met UK Warning.
    Issued at - 21 Mar 2013, 12:17
    Valid from - 22 Mar 2013, 00:05
    Valid to - 22 Mar 2013, 23:59

Heavy rain will spread northwards across Northern Ireland on Thursday night, and will turn increasingly to snow later in the night and during Friday. Highest snow accumulations of 30 cm or more are likely to be across the hills of Antrim and Down, with strong to gale force southeasterly winds giving drifting and blizzard conditions. Accumulations of 10 cm or so are possible at low-level, though towards the east coast rain and sleet will be more prevalent, with a risk of localised flooding.

The public should be prepared for the possibility of severe disruption, particularly to transport and to power supplies.

Heres MET.IEs take on it
    Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Rain, sleet and snow mix will give some lying snow accumulations especially on hills but also at some lower levels. There will be blizzards and drifting in the strong winds.

Issued:21 March 2013 06:00
    Valid:21 March 2013 21:00 to 24 March 2013 03:00

See the other thread for M.Ts thoughts on it.

Should be quite an event for those there.
    Let the Games begin

Charts Man CHARTS , I want Charts ,

Have you learnt nothing from Weathercheck and DM2

Charts Man CHARTS , I want Charts ,

Have you learnt nothing from Weathercheck and DM2

I am expecting Weathercheck to pop in any minute with those :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Still try as a bone up here but Jesus, that wind! It has really picked up in the last hour. I had to stand and wait on a friend earlier and my ears hurt :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

just seen mts post in the other thread for donegal i think im around 100m asl and facing east so im hopefull of getting some sort of snow but he does state its more for tomorrow evening :D
    ballybofey btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Is this radar dependable http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/?type=rain-snow-sleet it seems to be showing snow in conought and munster right now or i could be completly reading it wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Snowing here, blowing a gale and the snow can't seem to find anywhere to land :pac: , temp dropping slowly after rising slightly before dark, 1.8c atm.

Sleet falling here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Its like a real blizzard here now and finally its starting to stick, the front wall of the house is getting a new coat of plaster!

0.7 C, dp -1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Twitter: @barryflood

BF6uXi5CIAA7WvG.jpg:large

I have suspicions about his pictures...

• Advertisement

SW Donegal is getting heavier precipitation than any other places , the showers must be intensifying as a result of Donegal bay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Yeah so do I,that snowman looks at least 6years of age ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wind unreal here. Constant roar. House facing SE so getting a good battering. Can hear rain beating on the window here. I sue as heck ain't sticking my head out the door to see what's going on. ( Donegal Town - 124ft ASL)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

That looks like Scotland to me. The Rangers top backs up my suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Rougies wrote: »
    That looks like Scotland to me. The Rangers top backs up my suspicions.

Looks more leeds to me lol

Looks more leeds to me lol

180px-ScrollCrestRangersF.C.svg.png

Looks like it could be this logo on the top.

Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to provide us with some non-disputable photos in the next couple of days ;)

Temp decreasing steadily now , down to 1c. Still Sleet though. Im sure its snowing a bit higher up.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Rougies wrote: »
    180px-ScrollCrestRangersF.C.svg.png

Looks like it could be this logo on the top.

Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to provide us with some non-disputable photos in the next couple of days ;)

Well to be fair, that picture is being retweeted on Twitter (obviously) by Barra Best and other known journalists. There are reports of heavy snow in the Omagh area, so not a lot of reason to disbelieve it. Also just because baby snowman is wearing a leeds/Rangers top doesn't mean the photo was taken in Yorkshire or Glasgow!! Thats just being silly now.

We now have heavy snow and you'll have to take my word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town. Temp 1.9c from 2.8c an hour ago. DP 1.2c.

Conrach wrote: »
    Well to be fair, that picture is being retweeted on Twitter (obviously) by Barra Best and other known journalists. There are reports of heavy snow in the Omagh area, so not a lot of reason to disbelieve it. Also just because baby snowman is wearing a leeds/Rangers top doesn't mean the photo was taken in Yorkshire or Glasgow!! Thats just being silly now.

I believe, I believe! Glad to hear you're getting snow :) The retweets can be confusing with locations ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Larne - Light snow blowing around in the gales. Hoping for the heavier precip. Those winds are ferocious coming in off the Irish sea.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Conrach wrote: »

The same person posted a picture with quite a thick blanket of snow, level snow which is unlikely given the wind. Another poster from the Omagh area in the other thread also stated it had only began snowing recently, it's unlikely to have had built up so much down the road unless he was on high ground.

Dubious, most likely to be scenes visible in abit of time, again unless he is high up and has been seeing snow for longer than other Omagh reports of it just completing the transition from rain to sleet to snow.

Anyway, best of luck Northerners, should be one to remember. :)

Snow flakes here now in between the sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

John.Icy wrote: »
    The same person posted a picture with quite a thick blanket of snow, level snow which is unlikely given the wind. Another poster from the Omagh area in the other thread also stated it had only began snowing recently, it's unlikely to have had built up so much down the road unless he was on high ground.

Dubious, most likely to be scenes visible in abit of time, again unless he is high up and has been seeing snow for longer than other Omagh reports of it just completing the transition from rain to sleet to snow.

Anyway, best of luck Northerners, should be one to remember. :)
    The twitter poster of those photos has more or less confessed he was trolling. He did a reasonable job of doing so :pac:

Blowing a blizzard in Larne on east coast. The winds are impressive.

Huge flakes now being driven on by strong gale force winds and settling at last at sea level.

Lights flickering bigtime as well. Candles at ready hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I fell asleep for a bit and just woke up there. Heard on Facebook the snow had arrived and went to look out my bedroom window and see...except I can't. The snow has plastered all the Windows on the front of my house :pac:. Looked around the back instead - no crazy accumulations yet but it is lying. The snow Is going sideways in that wind haha.

Turned it on BBC news on sky channel 503 to see latest weather and they predict 48hours continuous snowfall for Eastern parts of Northern Ireland on latest forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

rilz wrote: »
    Turned it on BBC news on sky channel 503 to see latest weather and they predict 48hours continuous snowfall for Eastern parts of Northern Ireland on latest forecast.

No snow at all in Newry yet. All rain. I guess we are just too low down for this event. Some were saying it will snow at all levels today but I'm not sure. Met Office updated their forecast at 3 this morning and didn't mention levels at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was surprised to look out the window this morning and see light snow falling? what's going on there? i Thought the south east of England would have rain only till early saturday?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement