Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E - Gen.2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

AMKC wrote: »
    Ye your right. I overreacted a little bit but I do think if what happened yesterday had of happened in a Formula one race between two teammates there would be out roure. Yes ok maybe he did not do it on purpose and had only mere seconds to think which way to go but if he could have gone left he should have gone left.

It doesn't matter anyway, de Vries is just keeping the seat warm for Hamilton next year :D

On a serious note though, maybe that is where they will send Bottas...

Audi had such an awful weekend, they could have had the win on Saturday if it wasn't for DiGrassi's power failure. And as for yesterdays crashes... Wasted points. Wehrlein is also such a frustrating driver, he has speed from time to time but yesterday he was slowly going backwards. Sims made a fool out of him on the restart after the full course yellow and he screwed up his attack modes by copying the strategy of the driver in front of him. He should have been battling for the win but managed to finish 4th and inherited 3rd after the Nato DSQ. Nato was impressive though and his lack of experience seemed to hinder him from knowing what to do when he ran out of useable energy, an experienced driver would have coasted over the line (and probably lost 3rd but at least would have gotten something). Cassidy had a nightmare, nothing more to be said about that, hopefully he can learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

jv2000 wrote: »
    Nato was impressive though and his lack of experience seemed to hinder him from knowing what to do when he ran out of useable energy, an experienced driver would have coasted over the line (and probably lost 3rd but at least would have gotten something).

tbf to Norman, Susie admitted after the race that they had an error in their software that didn't account for enough energy reduction from the safety car, so he wasn't to know that he had run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Wehrlein has such an impressive CV to show but it seems his character costs him dearly
    https://drivetribe.com/p/why-pascal-wehrlein-wont-achieve-WQMUQwoYS7enQJ8UyYHA8A?iid=FJqCKTVSQ1q3uJwQflhDfg
    He needs a boot up his ass as his attitude costed him several drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Monaco race is set for the full layout this year with a few tweaks on the St Devot corner (not to be a chicane).

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/april/monaco-e-prix-new-circuit-layout?utm_source=FormulaETwitter&utm_medium=SocialPost&utm_campaign=News&utm_term=Championship&utm_content=Racing

Round 7 of the 2020/21 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship - the Monaco E-Prix - will take place on May 8 at 16:00 local time (15:00 BST).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Monaco race is set for the full layout this year with a few tweaks on the St Devot corner (not to be a chicane).

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2021/april/monaco-e-prix-new-circuit-layout?utm_source=FormulaETwitter&utm_medium=SocialPost&utm_campaign=News&utm_term=Championship&utm_content=Racing

Round 7 of the 2020/21 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship - the Monaco E-Prix - will take place on May 8 at 16:00 local time (15:00 BST).
    Oh please be live on either the BBC or Quest or even both. That is the one Fe race I would like to see live. I seen last weeks live. This one would be great to see live sure it could turn into a procession but I doubt it. In fact I would say the Formule e cars race better there now then F1 cars as they are smaller.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Double header this weekend in Valentina:

Saturday 24 April, 2021
    Qualifying and Super Pole
    10:00 : 11:00 (IST)

Round 5: DHL Valencia E-Prix (45 mins + 1 lap)
    14:04 : 15:00 (IST)

Sunday 25 April, 2021
    Qualifying and Super Pole
    09:00 : 10:00

Round 6: DHL Valencia E-Prix (45 mins + 1 lap)
    13:04 : 14:00 (IST)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Race Live on Quest

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Has anyone has issues with previous eaves on Virgin Media not having any commentary?

Ms

Valentina is that in Italy or Spain?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I think it's is Europe somewhere :D. It's Spain!!

The rain in Spain stays mainly in Valencia. Yes, it's raining for Round 5. Starting in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

That's a miserable day to be in an open cockpit car :P

Plenty of passing, plus they look like a serious handful in the rain.

Edit: Mad finish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

What an absolute joke of a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don’t normally watch Formula E, but turned it on there. Farcical finish.

There's going to be some serious shouting session in the Stewarts office.
    The energy removal with Safety Car makes sense, but maybe only to the 2/3 point of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Funny last lap, odd whatever happened

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I don’t normally watch Formula E, but turned it on there. Farcical finish.

Same here. What a joke, if you're going to take the power away from the cars after they can do anything about it and they can't finish, why not finish it under the safety car?

Was Vandoorne using attack mode after the finish? Looked like there was a countdown timer on the timing screen next to his name. I know he also had a Fan boost.

Was Vandoorne using attack mode after the finish? Looked like there was a countdown timer on the timing screen next to his name. I know he also had a Fan boost.

I think so, but he also looked like 0% crossing the line?

• Advertisement

Interesting end to the race. You want the drivers to use as much power as possible during the race while managing the condition. I think the teams were caught out big time for that one extra lap after the race time ran out.

I'll have to watch again to see how much energy they removed for each lap the safety car was out ?!

Valentina is that in Italy or Spain?

It's in Spain. Where the European F1 race was for a couple of years. It's where Mark Webber did his upside down trick in the car.

It's a different track obviously, but the same city.

The race was crazy overall. 5 safety cars says it all. I really don't get the power removal piece. But an arguement can be said that if some drivers were able to finish with power, than technically all drivers could have

Ms

What a shambolic ending to that race. A pity as the race itself was good. Lots of real passing and battles.
    I think the Formula E cars should have a separate battery power for driving behind the Safety car but that would of course had more weight to the cars. This idea of taking power away from the cars while under the safety car does not make any sense to me. Anyone got any idea what the thinking behind it was?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Congratulations FE for validating range anxiety.

This idea of taking power away from the cars while under the safety car does not make any sense to me. Anyone got any idea what the thinking behind it was?

The idea is to prevent them from having lots of power and be able to go flat out. Think of it like the 100kg petrol thing in F1

This idea of taking power away from the cars while under the safety car does not make any sense to me. Anyone got any idea what the thinking behind it was?

I believe part of the idea was to have the added drama/challenge of managing the charge over the race.
    With how much is saved behind the safety car, it was a way to keep that element in it.

I can appreciate that it is interesting to have the tactics of when to push and when to save energy.
    I think it's just case where it has backfired due to a whole load of circumstances.

Congratulations FE for validating range anxiety.

But it's artificial range anxiety because the cars save too much behind the SC.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Everyone here saying it was a sham and a farce, that's part of the racing. All the teams knew the rules, they chose not to have enough energy conserved to account for potential situations like this, and the likes of Mercedes and Muller capitalised because they left enough in the proverbial tank :rolleyes:
    I'll have to watch again to see how much energy they removed for each lap the safety car was out ?!

1kWh of usable energy is removed for every full minute spent under SC/FCY. A total of 19kWh of the 52kWh available was removed this way.
    Was Vandoorne using attack mode after the finish? Looked like there was a countdown timer on the timing screen next to his name.

Yep, Stoffel failed to fully deplete his second attack mode before the finish, and he got a 10-second post-race penalty for it. However, he finished 12 seconds ahead of Cassidy, so keeps the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

antodeco wrote: »
    The idea is to prevent them from having lots of power and be able to go flat out. Think of it like the 100kg petrol thing in F1

So why not just have smaller motors and go flat out? What's normally decent racing was ruined by that farce today. They can only go the speed that the circuit, grip and conditions allow anyway.

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Yep, Stoffel failed to fully deplete his second attack mode before the finish, and he got a 10-second post-race penalty for it. However, he finished 12 seconds ahead of Cassidy, so keeps the podium.

So they're all about conserving power yet failing to use up power when it's unnecessary yields a penalty?

Advertisement