Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDP Yoga, anyone on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Will give this a go again in the next few days. I moved a few months back and haven't seen the DDP manual since but found the DVD's the other day.

Will start out with the Diamond Dozen again and see how it goes.

Are you supposed to do it 3 times a week or just do workout 1, 2 and 3 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Is there a link online to Dallas Page's dietary suggestions? I'd be interested in seeing what he recommends. I'm sure most of it is common sense anyway. For years I trained and would drop little bits of weight here and there but if I missed even one day I'd put it back on, because I wasn't changing what I eat. I still am not great but it's lack of motivation usually.

12529hd.jpg
    veganrun wrote: »
    Will give this a go again in the next few days. I moved a few months back and haven't seen the DDP manual since but found the DVD's the other day.

Will start out with the Diamond Dozen again and see how it goes.

Are you supposed to do it 3 times a week or just do workout 1, 2 and 3 etc?

5f1b93.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Thanks for posting those images here. I'm considering investing in a pack for the last while. One of the podcasts I listen to has people talking about it every so often and it's been in my head. What is the best way of getting it, there's just his own website for buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Thanks for posting those images here. I'm considering investing in a pack for the last while. One of the podcasts I listen to has people talking about it every so often and it's been in my head. What is the best way of getting it, there's just his own website for buying?

I think so yeah. That's where I got it from anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnaldinho

Hey, don't know if people are still posting on this, but I said I'd write something anyway.

Literally just started DDPYoga yesterday, and man are my arms sore,haha. Not pain pain, like muscle soreness, as in "We didn't even know these muscles existed and now after 27 years you have the balls to exercise them"! I know it means the workout actually did something.

I'm a 27, severely overweight Thurles man who, although has never been immobile or in pain, is sick to death of having no Energy and being so overweight. Just thought it was cool that there was an Irish forum about DDPYoga and I just decided to say hi....so hi,haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fair play. Keep us up to date on how you get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hey, don't know if people are still posting on this, but I said I'd write something anyway.

Literally just started DDPYoga yesterday, and man are my arms sore,haha. Not pain pain, like muscle soreness, as in "We didn't even know these muscles existed and now after 27 years you have the balls to exercise them"! I know it means the workout actually did something.

I'm a 27, severely overweight Thurles man who, although has never been immobile or in pain, is sick to death of having no Energy and being so overweight. Just thought it was cool that there was an Irish forum about DDPYoga and I just decided to say hi....so hi,haha

good man, stick at it! from personal experience you'll be surprised how quickly you'll see benefits. I dont do it regularly any more, but if I ever get lower back pain or similar, a few sessions of this always sorts me right out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnaldinho

Alright, nice one, cheers peeps.

I'm jumping in cold turkey, giving up basically most of the food I usually eat (Take Away, Crisps etc) and replacing soda with water. Not going 100% mental (had a few minstrels yesterday,haha), but as I said I'm very much overweight (6'1 at just over 300 pounds) so 80% of what I ate, especially sausages, chips and processed foods had to go and I'm now eating (again, only since yesterday) chicken fillets, lean beef, salmon and attempting vegetables (which is like another world for me).

I started beginner yesterday, so just did my first Diamond Dozen, and have done 2 "Wake Up". You know your out of shape when your asked to do the Downward Dog as if its easy, and as DDP is explaining things to you while your in this position before he starts a countdown all your thinking is "HURRY UP, MY ARMS ARE ABOUT TO COLLAPSE INTO THEMSELVES".

And the squats......I would have assumed I could at least squat. I was down for about 2 seconds (just in the position, not doing anything else) and my knees were just on fire. Granted it is a lot of weight, I'm the big stomach, skinny weak legs kind of fat, so it was surprisingly difficult. I nearly collapsed after it was finished. Never thought I could get such a sweat going with just moving my body in the one spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

For your diet you should try the myfitnesspal app to help keep track of what you're taking in. I think it's ok to allow yourself some treats, the key for treats is moderation and with regular food, controlling what you're having and how it's prepared.

For your diet you should try the myfitnesspal app to help keep track of what you're taking in. I think it's ok to allow yourself some treats, the key for treats is moderation and with regular food, controlling what you're having and how it's prepared.

Agreed with the "the odd treat is ok" mentality. Also, (I'll stress, I'm not a fitness guy so just my opinion), I'd work myself off gradually, rather than "cold turkey". I'd worry if I gave up everything at once, I'd be more likely to relapse. Over the last year, I cut down snacks gradually to a point where I barely snack at all. I went from 4 or 5 big glasses of coke to a few small ones, to one or two small ones, and in the last two weeks, I'm down to one every three days (which I thought would hit me harder than it has, but I'm feeling way better over the last few weeks).

Personally, I've always found "gradually" to be a better long term tactic than "All at once", but each to their own, and I wouldn't be saying I'm Mr Healthy :P

• Advertisement

So my doctor has told me I need to start doing some Yoga or Pilates for joint pains I've been having trouble with. So I guess DDP's DVD is getting busted out for serious this time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So my doctor has told me I need to start doing some Yoga or Pilates for joint pains I've been having trouble with. So I guess DDP's DVD is getting busted out for serious this time :P

There's now an app and it's much better.

There's now an app and it's much better.

Oh, really. Must check that out. I know he rebranded a load of it, didn't he? I presume the original DVD sis grand still though, yeah?

I've been browsing Reddit Yoga as well, and getting a few tips and tricks too. Apparently, Youtube is full of stuff thats good for beginners too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

YouTube should be great for the basic poses and transitions. I love the old YRG stuff for the set workouts though. It's nice to have that variety of workouts, with specific instructions for each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The one thing I'd say after doing it for 2 years is that it's more resistance and cardio work than yoga, so if you were looking for real "yoga" benefits, you might have to combine ddp yoga wither some traditional yoga classes too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yeah youtube has tonnes of Yoga instructions.

I am not a fan of the whole home work out idea unless you can make a dedicated space to do it in.

If you can't make a good space, your best bet might be to do beginner classes,. If you put the DDP DVD to one side already its likely to happen again. This is the main reason I am not a fan of home work outs. Classes might give you the push to keep with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

DM_7 wrote: »

I am not a fan of the whole home work out idea unless you can make a dedicated space to do it in.

If you can't make a good space, your best bet might be to do beginner classes,. If you put the DDP DVD to one side already its likely to happen again. This is the main reason I am not a fan of home work outs. Classes might give you the push to keep with it.
    I've been using DDP stuff at home combined with a yoga class or two a week.
    Working well for me

DM_7 wrote: »

There'd be differences between last time and this.

Last time, a few years back, I went from 0 to 100 in terms of I was doing no exercise, **** diet, bought the routine, killed myself doing it, then threw out my back badly (and had to get painkillers for it) and never went back. I made that rookie mistake of doing too much too fast.

This time, it's looking for an addition to my current "regime" for lack of a better term. Since Xmas, I've dropped 16kg, fixed my diet up, going for walks 3 or 4 times a week. This time, I'm way fitter going in, way more motivated going in, and its to supplement other things. Also, the fact that it's to actually battle a severe pain, instead of just "messing round with getting fit", means I'll be way more motivated to keep it up this time. I'll probably look for something more "class based" down the road, if it looks like it could help. But for now, I'm happier going solo to try and work out if its worth doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just in case you thought you were on your own I've just started myself. 33 yr old bartender, overweight for my height as a short ass. The only exercise outside work I do is 5 a side once a week and I've started to find the next day kinda painful so thought F that, I'm not 60. Have been changing my diet over the last while. I found dropchef (meal delivery crowd) pricey but they've opened my mind to things like farro, halloumi, quinoa, kale etc. that I'd never have eaten. I saved a load of the recipes that I really liked and have been making them as opposed to potato waffles and goujons every other day. I'm finding Energy okay heartrate wise but Christ my flexibility is shockingly bad. That move where you lunge and bend to have one hand in the air kills me. Anyway best of luck fellow traveler!

Ok anyone doing this or looking to get into it the app is a dollar for a month's sub for one day only and reduced to 6.99 a month thereafter. Apparently has a lot more workouts than the DVDs and can sync with some bluetooth Heart Rate Monitors. Promo code "FLASH17". I seen some people having trouble entering it on the app so might be best doing it on the website and just log in on the app after.

Here's their facebook page it;s one of their most recent posts,

https://www.facebook.com/DDPYOGA/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Considering starting this anyone on the journey at the moment?

Would love to hear from any of the folks who started a number of years ago in this thread also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brevity

I bought the DVD’s and did it for a bit but moved house and lost the DVD’s

There is an app but it’s a bit rubbish last time I used it.

Overall I liked it but I didn’t do it often enough

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

kilburn wrote: »
    Considering starting this anyone on the journey at the moment?

Would love to hear from any of the folks who started a number of years ago in this thread also.

I got back into this just over 6 weeks ago. I still have copies of DDP's old YRG programme, rather than the updated DDPY, but I believe the workouts are broadly the same from one branding to the next.

Am I following the programme properly? No, but he does say to "Make it your own!" I still haven't picked up a heart monitor so I'm really going by instinct instead. I threw myself in at the deep end and did as many as 6 workouts per week in the early weeks. My body felt amazing but there was a risk of burnout so I dialled it back a bit since then. Aiming for 4 workouts per week now.

The most immediate improvement I noticed was in my balance. 'Stand Up' and 'Below The Belt' are very effective. Even doing keepy-uppies before a football match recently I felt in better control than I'd felt for years. I've noticed a little improvement in muscle definition this week. Really should have done some before and after photos to track my progress, but I'm more concerned with function than appearances so it's not a major worry for me.

The other big benefit in week 1 was noticing which parts of my body needed extra work. It's worth having a foam roller around to iron out any knots that get in your way. My hips are a whole lot better now than they were at the start of the autumn. I'll be keeping it up for the foreseeable future.

A good friend of mine has started using the app and he's mad about it, but I haven't invested in that yet myself.

For months I was in the top 100 leader board on the app and was doing something everyday. Noticed it when playing five a side even how much more ground I could cover. As with everything I let it slip for a year and am just getting back into it. Doing a little bit more bodyweight fitness along side this time cause I'm a scrawny fecker :D I think if you like Dallas' infectious enthusiasm you'll enjoy it a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thanks for the replies folks always good to get first hand advice if only I could decide between the dvds and app now !

kilburn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks always good to get first hand advice if only I could decide between the dvds and app now !

The App. 100%. Has workouts from the old dvds and modern ones and loads of live workouts put up regularly. It can build plans for you as beginner, intermediate or advanced etc. It has a 7 day free trial. I got it back when they let you pay monthly for the annual price so you might want to try it out before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’m thinking of dusting off the auld DDP Yoga DVDs.

Work has been killing me the last year and I’m thinking of copper fastening a few hours a day for formal exercise.

I was going to set up a fitness log right here but don’t want to spam the forum. Anyone else interested on getting (back) in the saddle re:DDPY or interested in letting me PM my advancements for accountability purposes?

If we have a few we could possibly “WhatsApp group” it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm sure I have the DVDs somewhere...i thought there was an app now though. I liked the exercises the last time but I am no good at sticking to diets :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

How good did you guys find DDP yoga....Im not unfit, but very inflexible and have considered Yoga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

beakerjoe wrote: »
    How good did you guys find DDP yoga....Im not unfit, but very inflexible and have considered Yoga.

Its as good as any other yoga tbh, the appeal hes going for is that he doesnt really go on about the spiritual aspect of it, and renames a lot of the poses to stuff that would be familiar to fans of wrestling / average joes.

I've done it on and off over the years to deal with intermittent back pain, and find it great.

I might have the spelling wrong, but 'yoga with adrianne' on youtube is also well worth a look, for the great low price of completely free.

Advertisement