Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mining stories

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Got DDU working and also got the Radeon settings to work.
    Cleaned drivers our using DDU, installed Adrenalin-Edition-18.5.2, set all cards to Compute mode.
    Checked overdrive and is loading correct values on startup.
    Cards are set to 2100/900 mem

25Mh/s... Will flatten the PC at the weekend and go through guide again to see how it works out.

The odd thing is if I set one card to run at 1750/900 it's pretty much the same Mh/s rate as the ones set to 2150/900!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Have you modded the BIOS with Polaris one click edit tool? If not that is the last step. Be sure to individually check all cards and what memory they have - extract the original bios, mark each card so that you know which is which (I just number them and keep a spreadsheet with memory, timings, bios versions, clock limits etc.) and then use the 1-click editor to bios mod them.

BIOS edit guide is also on mining.help. But it is literally one click and a couple of cmd prompt lines to copy/paste for the flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Changing the BIOS is by far the biggest improvement of hash rate you can do to a card. A typical RX570 / RX580 runs at about 21-22MH/s out of the box and this improves to about 27-28MH/s after BIOS change. As Dr Bolouswki has said, the rest if fine tuning, overclocking, undervolting, etc. to get it to the 30-32MH/s you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

What are people mining these days?

For me its

1. ETH @172 mh/s (GPU)
    2. Sia @ 815 gh/s (ASIC)

Both aren't doing a huge amount at the moment (sia mining would at this stage be losing me money if I didn't have the fixed electricity plan).

Not sure what way to progress. At the moment of thinking of just keeping both miners going until the fixed electricity runs out and then sell one (or both) of the miners. Anyone any advice?

Yeah same here. I've scaled down to just one GPU rig mining ETH (never had ASIC), but it's not been running for a week and I'm going on holidays soon, so I'll leave it off. My fixed electricity runs out in a few months. If you didn't buy your hardware at inflated prices, mining ETH is still profitable though, and more so if you have a night meter. But we are talking relatively little money here of course. Also in the colder months it saves considerably money on your heating bill. And I have installed solar PV (even though I have fixed electricity) to help the environment a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah same here. I've scaled down to just one GPU rig mining ETH (never had ASIC), but it's not been running for a week and I'm going on holidays soon, so I'll leave it off. My fixed electricity runs out in a few months. If you didn't buy your hardware at inflated prices, mining ETH is still profitable though, and more so if you have a night meter. But we are talking relatively little money here of course. Also in the colder months it saves considerably money on your heating bill. And I have installed solar PV (even though I have fixed electricity) to help the environment a bit :)

Cheers, are you with just energy? What’s the plan for when the 12 month contract expires?

Yep. When it expires, I'll just have to go with whatever the cheapest variable plan is as Just Energy will obviously not quote me anything like I got last year :p My main family car is an EV too, so we use quite a bit more electricity than in previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I came in this morning to this:

5Vinz3T.jpg

It's an Antminer S9 14Th, it was the only one plugged in. The plugs in beside it is just the modem, and an ethernet switch.

What am I doing wrong here, I thought it should be able to handle it?

It's only the fuse but the scorched plug and socket concern me (obviously). The Antminer itself is fine, just tested with another lead but I have another 3 here to plug in also and I'm concerned now about fire.

Am I missing something that should be inbetween the PSU and the wall socket, or what can I do here to not burn the place down?

From my medieval villagers understanding of electricity, I would afear giving any advice. Check circuit and socket loads vs. unit draw. Convert amps per circuit and socket to wattage at your voltage draw and you can see if anything stands out as way too high. However - I would highly recommend the electrical forum - those guys are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jesus, be careful as well. Don’t put anyone in danger, and be aware that your house insurance will be null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

From my medieval villagers understanding of electricity, I would afear giving any advice. Check circuit and socket loads vs. unit draw. Convert amps per circuit and socket to wattage at your voltage draw and you can see if anything stands out as way too high. However - I would highly recommend the electrical forum - those guys are great.

+1 on all the above, and maybe have an electrician in to look at it. If you're drawing large currents you need to make sure the socket is decent quality and the cabling for the circuit is properly rated and wired well. If the connection isn't good, the wall is damp or something gets into the socket this can happen. Last time this happened to me I had a pair of well fried wood lice in the wall socket when I removed an inspected it! Old sockets are also prone to this as the sprung connection that keeps contact becomes a bit slacker.

be aware that your house insurance will be null and void.

On what grounds? Plenty of plug in electrical devices such as oil filled storage units are likely to be drawing as much if not more current over protracted periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

smacl wrote: »
    On what grounds? Plenty of plug in electrical devices such as oil filled storage units are likely to be drawing as much if not more current over protracted periods of time.

Item caused an electrical fault. Your insurance won’t cover you if you decide to go and plug the thing back in.

Item caused an electrical fault. Your insurance won’t cover you if you decide to go and plug the thing back in.

You'd need to get an electrician in to verify that one way or the other, at a guess any high power device would have caused the same problem on the same socket. Its not as if the socket went 'ooh, crypto miner, think I'll go bang'. From what I gather the Antminer S9 draws 1.4kw or about 4.6a and 220v. This is about the same as a plug in portable oil filled radiator. It would be worth the OP having a current meter on the input side of the Antminer to see it is staying within spec. If not, you could point the finger at the Antminer. If it is staying within spec, I'd be checking what the circuit is rated for, what else is on it, and what is the condition of wiring and sockets. Could be a crap or worn socket, poor wiring, or gauge of wire designed for smaller loads.

Either way, getting it checked by a qualified professional is the way to go.

Cheers for all the replies.

It's not in my house or anyones house for that matter so no insurance and/or death to worry about, but that said it would still be absolutely disastrous to burn the building down.

I've left unplugged for now, and electrician coming to have a once over on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Watch out for latest scam. Someone got details of Bitmain customers and sends out emails offering new miners for attractive prices posing as Bitmain. They even called my mobile telling me to check my email and buy some.

After like 5th email I replied them that I am in and that they can send me 2 units which I will pay for as soon as I get them.
    Emails stopped. No call since too.

Anyone who does have a couple of pc or does not mine with CPU on their rigs may be interested in this unless you know about it already.
    There is coin called DERO which started without ICO and it is quite a nice project. It does have good value and while it is swamped with Asics now they are working on change of algo which is called Atlantis and is due shortly. It will be CPU mining only, quite a chance for anyone to get their hands on a coin with value without heavy investing in mining equipment.

Cheers for all the replies.

It's not in my house or anyones house for that matter so no insurance and/or death to worry about, but that said it would still be absolutely disastrous to burn the building down.

I've left unplugged for now, and electrician coming to have a once over on Friday.

If anyones interested, it looks like it was the fuse in the plug. The kettle leads I used had 3amp and 5amp fuses in them, the antminer was putting too many watts through it and it overloaded and bam.
    Replaced all with 13amp fuses, all seems to be okay now.

Leads that come with kettles always have 13A fuses. Don't blame the kettle here :p

If anyones interested, it looks like it was the fuse in the plug. The kettle leads I used had 3amp and 5amp fuses in them, the antminer was putting too many watts through it and it overloaded and bam.
    Replaced all with 13amp fuses, all seems to be okay now.

If you're constantly drawing high current through a socket, might do no harm to check the quality of the socket and wiring too when you get the chance. I note your wall socket is already cracked and could do with replacing either way. A blown fuse should not go bam nor leave any visible damage. Maybe a bit paranoid on my part, but for the sake of a new high quality socket properly wired you could save yourself future grief. A personal bugbear, but I despise low quality mains sockets and plugs which are increasingly common.

• Advertisement

Curious to know how you guys are doing. I turned off my rig this morning as it is simply too hot. I do have the biggest fan I could find directly under all of the cards and windows and doors opened for a draft but that does not help much. I can mine but my vega's hashrate is dropping over time and 1 or 2 of them start down-throttling and stop mining. Makes no sense to strain them in this weather so I guess I will give them week or two off.
    Funny thing is that wife and kids started complaining that house is too quiet now.

Switched my rig off about 4 weeks ago. It needed some maintenance and I was going on a 2.5 week holiday. Won't switch it back on until after the heatwave. Not just because it gets too hot, but also for environmental reasons. Even though a substantial part of the energy needed for it is coming from solar PV panels while the sun is at its best during mid day. At the moment my panels are just providing the grid with electricity for free, meaning the ESB has to burn a little less oil / gas / peat
    patnor1011 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that wife and kids started complaining that house is too quiet now.

Funny you mention that! When I switched mine of herself was complaining that she does like the few extra degrees the living room gets to (24/7) after we switched the central heating off for the summer sometime in May!

Haha... We are hardcore miners lol. I mean my rig sits right next to TV in living room. 6 Vega56 make quite a lot of noise when on full blast but somehow we got used to it and after awhile you kinda not notice it. Add a ginormous fan and you get the picture. Today room was quiet like a church at midnight...
    I was getting strange looks from kids and wife and they all said it is too quiet there now...

I've turned off most of mine due to the heat in the house. The cards themselves maintain a steady enough temperature as most of my rigs are contained in server cases so the hot air gets exhausted. I do have a bunch of open rigs which have more of a problem with heat, so they are off in the daytime now - they are actually outside in a shed with it's own built in fan system - but still too hot! Out of 14 rigs I only have 5 running 24/7 right now. I'm moving everything to a purpose built facility over the next few weeks. Cannot wait to have my house back to normal!

Turned everything off and borrowed the big fan, brought it into the house!

I bought big ass fan in currys about month before heatwave they were on sale. Paid 30 from original 60 :)
    It makes wind. It is literally tearing your hair out of your head if you are too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Hi All,

Thinking of getting into some mining have about 6 CAD desktops with some pretty good specs, just sitting in a room

Electric and costs of the machines = 0

Any ideas welcome, to what software or what to mine ?

Graphics cards for CAD might not be the best for mining. What is the exact make and model of the GPUs? Did you google the hashrate of them?

Stopped mining back in May when the heat was no longer needed in the house. Bit of a chill this evening walking the dog, so built my rig back up and running it now. Down to just a single 5 card rig. Mining ethereum is not profitable right now, it makes a slight loss. But you can look at it glass half full. It provides cheaper heating than my gas boiler. And a good bit of my solar PV production that is going back to the grid for free during the day, can now go towards mining

Two years ago herself was quite averse to my mining rigs. Now she is nagging me to put in more rigs, they make the house very comfortable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dsgrjdr

How to solve antminer T17 log tips temperature error?If the entire miner log indicates a temperature error, then we can upgrade the firmware first. If the error is still displayed, check the amperage of the power input. The undervoltage of the power supply will also prevent the entire machine from reading the temperature.

Advertisement