Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mining stories

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

unkel wrote: »
    Use W10 instead of Linux (if you weren't already), BIOS flash the GPUs (higher hashrate), underclock core voltage and core speed while overclocking memory (this uses less power overall than leaving things default). Use Phoenix instead of Claymore (cheaper and faster) and use a pool like Anorak over Nanopool / Ethpool (cheaper and more community spirit)

Happy mining :)

Running Win 10
    Have flashed GPU BIOS
    Am clocking but still find hard to keep power consumption down, will work more on it.
    Am looking at Phoenix atm, will let you know.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What's stock cvddc , cclock and mclock and what settings are you using?

I've 3 of these tiny RX570 4GB Pulse cards (stock 1244 cclock and 1750 mclock) and these are happily hashing at 30Mh/s (-cvddc 860 -cclock 1150 -mclock 2000) completely stable and they're pretty light on electricity use

And what ever way you overclock, the extra hash is always worth more than the extra electricity it costs (but of course the aim is to use as little as possible, while maintaining the highest stable clock possible)

What's stock cvddc , cclock and mclock and what settings are you using?

I've 3 of these tiny RX570 4GB Pulse cards (stock 1244 cclock and 1750 mclock) and these are happily hashing at 30Mh/s (-cvddc 860 -cclock 1150 -mclock 2000) completely stable and they're pretty light on electricity use

And what ever way you overclock, the extra hash is always worth more than the extra electricity it costs (but of course the aim is to use as little as possible, while maintaining the highest stable clock possible)

Is this in the actual config file? I've not altered that at all.
    I flashed the BIOS with a config' I found on anorak.

You add it to the config / bat file ;)

If you didn't specify voltage / speeds in the configuration, how did you overclock? Using some software like afterburner? Or did you not overclock at all? And how much power is your rig taking from the wall?

You add it to the config / bat file ;)

If you didn't specify voltage / speeds in the configuration, how did you overclock? Using some software like afterburner? Or did you not overclock at all? And how much power is your rig taking from the wall?

HI,

Used afterburner to overclock.

Mem clock is set to 1990
    Core is 1244
    Power limit is 0%

What are the defaults? You can check with gpu-z. Also try Phoenix miner. You could be unlucky with the actual cards you have, but I would expect them to run at a good bit more than 26Mh/s. What power is your rig taking at the wall and what PSU do you have?

Defaults are

Mem clock 1750
    Core is 1244

Tried Phoenix last night without any config edit, only picked up 2 cards and was hashing at 26MH/s

It's taking about 420KWh on a 650w PSU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

570's should work happily on
    Core 1150mhz/850mv
    Mem 2200/900mv

You can experiment with these limits for individual cards +/- 50 for all values. More speed usually needs more juice. The way to do it is push Mem speeds until you start to get gpu memory errors (use HWInfo) then pull it back 25(or 50) mhz from that point. Then REDUCE core gpu speed until you start to see hashrate change downwards. Stick with that then start to reduce mv on core, followed by mv on memory. Let it run for a while between settings, but as I said, the values at the start are pretty safe and should see you (with a memory timings modded bios) get 30-31Mhz at about 110w per card, stable at 60C.

Check out the bios and overclocking guide on mining.help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I took the plunge and I've an order en route from Bitmain.

The place I'll be setting up though has no wired internet, I am thinking about getting a 4G dongle and was wondering will I be able to plug the Antminers in using one of these or similar ?

Also do I need a separate ethernet port for each machine, would I be better off getting a hub or some sort? If so, any recommendations?

I read in multiple guides for PC based mining (not asics) that wireless does not work, although I don't know any more than that. The internet is full of people being wrong, and I could easily be one of them :)

Assuming the power you are using is wired into a house that does have wired broadband, you should get yourself a couple of these

stick one beside your current router and connect an ethernet cable to it and stick a switch on the mining room end. You need 1 port for your connection from the tplink plug - then you have 15 free for the miners (1 each)

Make sure your current router has sufficient capability for giving out multiple addresses to devices. Virgin hub 3 for instance is limited to 16 - so if theres lots of tablets, phones laptops in your house you should be explore further.

You also want to make sure that you have sufficient power for the miners, that you are not drawing millions of amps over a single extension lead or whatever - ask the boys on the electricity forum once you know your setup.

• Advertisement

I read in multiple guides for PC based mining (not asics) that wireless does not work, although I don't know any more than that. The internet is full of people being wrong, and I could easily be one of them :)

Assuming the power you are using is wired into a house that does have wired broadband, you should get yourself a couple of these

stick one beside your current router and connect an ethernet cable to it and stick a switch on the mining room end. You need 1 port for your connection from the tplink plug - then you have 15 free for the miners (1 each)

Make sure your current router has sufficient capability for giving out multiple addresses to devices. Virgin hub 3 for instance is limited to 16 - so if theres lots of tablets, phones laptops in your house you should be explore further.

You also want to make sure that you have sufficient power for the miners, that you are not drawing millions of amps over a single extension lead or whatever - ask the boys on the electricity forum once you know your setup.

Thanks for the reply. There's no wired internet at all unfortunately. I am thinking about something like this now, basically something that will take a sim card to receive 4G and then output it through ethernet. I'd then connect your switch to that, and away I go? Or even a bog standard dongle, a USB to Ethernet converter and then to the switch ?

Would this work?

For the power - there's 6 wall sockets there, on which I want to run 4x Antminer S9's and 2x GPU rigs. So basically a wall socket each. Am I alright here?

Wireless charging on a Windows 10 mining rig works just fine with a €10 wifi dongle, provided the rig is not too far from the router. Mining only uses about 1mbps bandwith, which is low. None of the Linux based miners come with built in wifi support, so you'd have to configure that yourself.

Wall sockets are 13A, or about 3kW. That's not a problem for a 1.5kW Antminer or a 1kW GPU rig. I hope you don't have electric showers in the house though, that might send your total house demand over the edge (if someone plugs in a kettle / has dishwasher on or iron or a few of these at the same time)

For the power - there's 6 wall sockets there, on which I want to run 4x Antminer S9's and 2x GPU rigs. So basically a wall socket each. Am I alright here?

It depends. Basically, if you divide your wattage by your voltage, you get the amp draw. So a 1000w draw of your average GPU based system, using the Irish standard of 240v gives you 1000/240= 4.17amps. Most irish households work off a 63amp fuse, so basically the whole house can pull at the same time, 63 amps. However, this is usually broken down into circuits, which each have a limit. Your plugs circuit might work of 20 amps, your cooker might work of 15 amps etc.

So basically, if your six wall sockets all work off the same 20 amp circuit (and nothing else runs on that circuit) you can pull about 5x1000w loads. So you basically need to check what your circuits can deliver and how they are split.

It's not something to get wrong as at best you get tripped fuses, at worst it overheats the wiring and you get a fire.

Aye. My car charges at 7.2kW, so about the same as all those miners put together. But it has its own 40A circuit with its own RCBO in the consumer unit and 6mm2 core cable was used for the install (by a certified and very experienced RECI installer). A lot less to worry there. With 7-8kW in miners in my house (in the same room), I would want a sparks to have a look at it to see if it's ok

So I updated my version of windows by mistake, cards all dropped for 11MH/s
    Rolled back and can now only get 15MH/s.

Can you let me know which GPU driver versions you guys are using?

I don't think the GPU bios will have changed but need to look at that.
    Anything else that could have caused this?

So I updated my version of windows by mistake, cards all dropped for 11MH/s
    Rolled back and can now only get 15MH/s.

Can you let me know which GPU driver versions you guys are using?

I don't think the GPU bios will have changed but need to look at that.
    Anything else that could have caused this?

Edit, fixed and running at 25MH/s again now.
    So not I just need the config sorted.

Set Defaults back on Afterburner.
    This is my start minder file

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

"

REM IMPORTANT: Replace the ETH address with your own ETH wallet address in the -wal option (Rig001 is the name of the rig)
    PhoenixMiner.exe -pool eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999 -pool2 ssl://eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999 -wal 0xe898915BEFb6575F818938666Ec16A2465d6XXX
    pause

-cvddc 860
    -cclock 1150
    -mclock 2000

"

Still at 25MH/s

570's should work happily on
    Core 1150mhz/850mv
    Mem 2200/900mv

Check out the bios and overclocking guide on mining.help

Where are you setting these values? In the BIOS?

No - only changes I make to bios are memory straps.

I use overdriveNtool rather than afterburner - you can turn off throttled states in that and also set the core/mem and voltages directly.

Read the guide @ mining.help. It's very straightforward. You will have 31Mh/s per card easy.

Update:

Followed the page through but ran into issues.
    DDU just shows up as a white screen, can't see the things shown in the pics on that page (Using TeamViewer so might be that)
    Radeon software settings page also doesn't show correctly, so can't adjust that, might be TV also.

Used the win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.5.2 drivers as suggested.

Rate dropped down to ~16Mh/s on all cards.

Personally I think it's a driver issue so going to remove and install the ones that had it running at 26Mh/s and see if that makes a diff'.

• Advertisement

16mhs = graphics mode.

I would generally recommend blockchain drivers as it defaults to compute for all cards.

DDU needs to be done in safe mode to avoid issues.

Anytime you reinstall a driver, wait a LONG time before thinking things have hung etc. Use the rightclick option on your pc in device manager and click "scan for new hardware" however, it can take 5-10 minutes to finally recognise all 6 cards and install the drivers for them. Be patient.

Use HWinfo in summary mode to see see if the cards are seen by your PC.

Reboot when you change settings in overdriventool - it usually will not apply the settings correctly until it reboots. Just stick your overdrive startup file shortcut into run/shellstartup to re-apply/reset overclocks on reboot.

Seriously. I have not found an RX570 that does not happily deliver 31 Mh/s.

Got DDU working and also got the Radeon settings to work.
    Cleaned drivers our using DDU, installed Adrenalin-Edition-18.5.2, set all cards to Compute mode.
    Checked overdrive and is loading correct values on startup.
    Cards are set to 2100/900 mem

25Mh/s... Will flatten the PC at the weekend and go through guide again to see how it works out.

The odd thing is if I set one card to run at 1750/900 it's pretty much the same Mh/s rate as the ones set to 2150/900!

Have you modded the BIOS with Polaris one click edit tool? If not that is the last step. Be sure to individually check all cards and what memory they have - extract the original bios, mark each card so that you know which is which (I just number them and keep a spreadsheet with memory, timings, bios versions, clock limits etc.) and then use the 1-click editor to bios mod them.

BIOS edit guide is also on mining.help. But it is literally one click and a couple of cmd prompt lines to copy/paste for the flash.

Changing the BIOS is by far the biggest improvement of hash rate you can do to a card. A typical RX570 / RX580 runs at about 21-22MH/s out of the box and this improves to about 27-28MH/s after BIOS change. As Dr Bolouswki has said, the rest if fine tuning, overclocking, undervolting, etc. to get it to the 30-32MH/s you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

What are people mining these days?

For me its

1. ETH @172 mh/s (GPU)
    2. Sia @ 815 gh/s (ASIC)

Both aren't doing a huge amount at the moment (sia mining would at this stage be losing me money if I didn't have the fixed electricity plan).

Not sure what way to progress. At the moment of thinking of just keeping both miners going until the fixed electricity runs out and then sell one (or both) of the miners. Anyone any advice?

Yeah same here. I've scaled down to just one GPU rig mining ETH (never had ASIC), but it's not been running for a week and I'm going on holidays soon, so I'll leave it off. My fixed electricity runs out in a few months. If you didn't buy your hardware at inflated prices, mining ETH is still profitable though, and more so if you have a night meter. But we are talking relatively little money here of course. Also in the colder months it saves considerably money on your heating bill. And I have installed solar PV (even though I have fixed electricity) to help the environment a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Yeah same here. I've scaled down to just one GPU rig mining ETH (never had ASIC), but it's not been running for a week and I'm going on holidays soon, so I'll leave it off. My fixed electricity runs out in a few months. If you didn't buy your hardware at inflated prices, mining ETH is still profitable though, and more so if you have a night meter. But we are talking relatively little money here of course. Also in the colder months it saves considerably money on your heating bill. And I have installed solar PV (even though I have fixed electricity) to help the environment a bit :)

Cheers, are you with just energy? What’s the plan for when the 12 month contract expires?

Yep. When it expires, I'll just have to go with whatever the cheapest variable plan is as Just Energy will obviously not quote me anything like I got last year :p My main family car is an EV too, so we use quite a bit more electricity than in previous years.

I came in this morning to this:

5Vinz3T.jpg

It's an Antminer S9 14Th, it was the only one plugged in. The plugs in beside it is just the modem, and an ethernet switch.

What am I doing wrong here, I thought it should be able to handle it?

It's only the fuse but the scorched plug and socket concern me (obviously). The Antminer itself is fine, just tested with another lead but I have another 3 here to plug in also and I'm concerned now about fire.

Am I missing something that should be inbetween the PSU and the wall socket, or what can I do here to not burn the place down?

From my medieval villagers understanding of electricity, I would afear giving any advice. Check circuit and socket loads vs. unit draw. Convert amps per circuit and socket to wattage at your voltage draw and you can see if anything stands out as way too high. However - I would highly recommend the electrical forum - those guys are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jesus, be careful as well. Don’t put anyone in danger, and be aware that your house insurance will be null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

From my medieval villagers understanding of electricity, I would afear giving any advice. Check circuit and socket loads vs. unit draw. Convert amps per circuit and socket to wattage at your voltage draw and you can see if anything stands out as way too high. However - I would highly recommend the electrical forum - those guys are great.

+1 on all the above, and maybe have an electrician in to look at it. If you're drawing large currents you need to make sure the socket is decent quality and the cabling for the circuit is properly rated and wired well. If the connection isn't good, the wall is damp or something gets into the socket this can happen. Last time this happened to me I had a pair of well fried wood lice in the wall socket when I removed an inspected it! Old sockets are also prone to this as the sprung connection that keeps contact becomes a bit slacker.

be aware that your house insurance will be null and void.

On what grounds? Plenty of plug in electrical devices such as oil filled storage units are likely to be drawing as much if not more current over protracted periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

smacl wrote: »
    On what grounds? Plenty of plug in electrical devices such as oil filled storage units are likely to be drawing as much if not more current over protracted periods of time.

Item caused an electrical fault. Your insurance won’t cover you if you decide to go and plug the thing back in.

Item caused an electrical fault. Your insurance won’t cover you if you decide to go and plug the thing back in.

You'd need to get an electrician in to verify that one way or the other, at a guess any high power device would have caused the same problem on the same socket. Its not as if the socket went 'ooh, crypto miner, think I'll go bang'. From what I gather the Antminer S9 draws 1.4kw or about 4.6a and 220v. This is about the same as a plug in portable oil filled radiator. It would be worth the OP having a current meter on the input side of the Antminer to see it is staying within spec. If not, you could point the finger at the Antminer. If it is staying within spec, I'd be checking what the circuit is rated for, what else is on it, and what is the condition of wiring and sockets. Could be a crap or worn socket, poor wiring, or gauge of wire designed for smaller loads.

Either way, getting it checked by a qualified professional is the way to go.

Cheers for all the replies.

It's not in my house or anyones house for that matter so no insurance and/or death to worry about, but that said it would still be absolutely disastrous to burn the building down.

I've left unplugged for now, and electrician coming to have a once over on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Watch out for latest scam. Someone got details of Bitmain customers and sends out emails offering new miners for attractive prices posing as Bitmain. They even called my mobile telling me to check my email and buy some.

After like 5th email I replied them that I am in and that they can send me 2 units which I will pay for as soon as I get them.
    Emails stopped. No call since too.

Anyone who does have a couple of pc or does not mine with CPU on their rigs may be interested in this unless you know about it already.
    There is coin called DERO which started without ICO and it is quite a nice project. It does have good value and while it is swamped with Asics now they are working on change of algo which is called Atlantis and is due shortly. It will be CPU mining only, quite a chance for anyone to get their hands on a coin with value without heavy investing in mining equipment.

Cheers for all the replies.

It's not in my house or anyones house for that matter so no insurance and/or death to worry about, but that said it would still be absolutely disastrous to burn the building down.

I've left unplugged for now, and electrician coming to have a once over on Friday.

If anyones interested, it looks like it was the fuse in the plug. The kettle leads I used had 3amp and 5amp fuses in them, the antminer was putting too many watts through it and it overloaded and bam.
    Replaced all with 13amp fuses, all seems to be okay now.

Leads that come with kettles always have 13A fuses. Don't blame the kettle here :p

If anyones interested, it looks like it was the fuse in the plug. The kettle leads I used had 3amp and 5amp fuses in them, the antminer was putting too many watts through it and it overloaded and bam.
    Replaced all with 13amp fuses, all seems to be okay now.

If you're constantly drawing high current through a socket, might do no harm to check the quality of the socket and wiring too when you get the chance. I note your wall socket is already cracked and could do with replacing either way. A blown fuse should not go bam nor leave any visible damage. Maybe a bit paranoid on my part, but for the sake of a new high quality socket properly wired you could save yourself future grief. A personal bugbear, but I despise low quality mains sockets and plugs which are increasingly common.

• Advertisement

Curious to know how you guys are doing. I turned off my rig this morning as it is simply too hot. I do have the biggest fan I could find directly under all of the cards and windows and doors opened for a draft but that does not help much. I can mine but my vega's hashrate is dropping over time and 1 or 2 of them start down-throttling and stop mining. Makes no sense to strain them in this weather so I guess I will give them week or two off.
    Funny thing is that wife and kids started complaining that house is too quiet now.

Switched my rig off about 4 weeks ago. It needed some maintenance and I was going on a 2.5 week holiday. Won't switch it back on until after the heatwave. Not just because it gets too hot, but also for environmental reasons. Even though a substantial part of the energy needed for it is coming from solar PV panels while the sun is at its best during mid day. At the moment my panels are just providing the grid with electricity for free, meaning the ESB has to burn a little less oil / gas / peat
    patnor1011 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that wife and kids started complaining that house is too quiet now.

Funny you mention that! When I switched mine of herself was complaining that she does like the few extra degrees the living room gets to (24/7) after we switched the central heating off for the summer sometime in May!

Haha... We are hardcore miners lol. I mean my rig sits right next to TV in living room. 6 Vega56 make quite a lot of noise when on full blast but somehow we got used to it and after awhile you kinda not notice it. Add a ginormous fan and you get the picture. Today room was quiet like a church at midnight...
    I was getting strange looks from kids and wife and they all said it is too quiet there now...

I've turned off most of mine due to the heat in the house. The cards themselves maintain a steady enough temperature as most of my rigs are contained in server cases so the hot air gets exhausted. I do have a bunch of open rigs which have more of a problem with heat, so they are off in the daytime now - they are actually outside in a shed with it's own built in fan system - but still too hot! Out of 14 rigs I only have 5 running 24/7 right now. I'm moving everything to a purpose built facility over the next few weeks. Cannot wait to have my house back to normal!

Turned everything off and borrowed the big fan, brought it into the house!

I bought big ass fan in currys about month before heatwave they were on sale. Paid 30 from original 60 :)
    It makes wind. It is literally tearing your hair out of your head if you are too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Hi All,

Thinking of getting into some mining have about 6 CAD desktops with some pretty good specs, just sitting in a room

Electric and costs of the machines = 0

Any ideas welcome, to what software or what to mine ?

Graphics cards for CAD might not be the best for mining. What is the exact make and model of the GPUs? Did you google the hashrate of them?

Stopped mining back in May when the heat was no longer needed in the house. Bit of a chill this evening walking the dog, so built my rig back up and running it now. Down to just a single 5 card rig. Mining ethereum is not profitable right now, it makes a slight loss. But you can look at it glass half full. It provides cheaper heating than my gas boiler. And a good bit of my solar PV production that is going back to the grid for free during the day, can now go towards mining

Two years ago herself was quite averse to my mining rigs. Now she is nagging me to put in more rigs, they make the house very comfortable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dsgrjdr

How to solve antminer T17 log tips temperature error?If the entire miner log indicates a temperature error, then we can upgrade the firmware first. If the error is still displayed, check the amperage of the power input. The undervoltage of the power supply will also prevent the entire machine from reading the temperature.

Advertisement