Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

I found that when I put my Eircode into my address, all my deliveries changed to Amazon drivers and were quicker too. This is in Kildare. Tracking number always starts with GA

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Cobretti

Possibly using the wrong thread. Items purchased 2 months ago, worth about 60€. Yesterday got message from DHL that duty/tax and advance fee needs to be payed to get these items delivered. Fee is jsut over 50€

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Cobretti wrote: »
    Possibly using the wrong thread. Items purchased 2 months ago, worth about 60€. Yesterday got message from DHL that duty/tax and advance fee needs to be payed to get these items delivered. Fee is just over 50€

If there were fees due, and you bought it on Amazon, then they would have added them - seems strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd say it was a third party seller by sounds of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Possibly using the wrong thread. Items purchased 2 months ago, worth about 60€. Yesterday got message from DHL that duty/tax and advance fee needs to be payed to get these items delivered. Fee is jsut over 50€
    Where were the items purchased from and did you get a break down of the fees?

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    If there were fees due, and you bought it on Amazon, then they would have added them - seems strange...

It does. I've tried cross referencing seller, tracking number and delivery address.
    Only thing I see is that's legit tracking number to Ireland.
    On Amazon page I can't see seller name and on DHL page I don't see delivery address.
    I have a feeling this might be a scam. :rolleyes:

Basq wrote: »
    I'd say it was a third party seller by sounds of it..
    It is a third party seller
    gerard2210 wrote: »
    Where were the items purchased from and did you get a break down of the fees?

Purchased of Amazon but saying "Dispatched from and sold by BHGKVDS."
    No breakdown of the fees. When searching for tracking nu,ber on DHL there is no mention of any fees, while when opening sent SMS I get option to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It is a third party seller.
    That's your problem.. Amazon aren't liable to collect fees on behalf of third party seller as far as I'm aware.

Fees of €50 on a €60 purchase doesn't sound right though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No breakdown of the fees. When searching for tracking nu,ber on DHL there is no mention of any fees, while when opening sent SMS I get option to pay.

No breakdown of fees means you didn't pay UK or Irish VAT at the time of purchase. You should be paying 23 percent Irish vat & a handling fee to the delivery company. I can't see how this fee could be more than 25 or 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Possibly a scam text. There were text's doing the rounds from An post, dpd, dhl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I got my last Amazon delivery by An Post and it was on Easter Monday morning.. We never get post of a bank holiday.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Glebee wrote: »
    I got my last Amazon delivery by An Post and it was on Easter Monday morning.. We never get post of a bank holiday.

I explained this in another thread, there were no overnight deliveries into An Post depots on good Friday night so there were no parcel deliveries on the Saturday, hence they carried out parcel deliveries on Easter Monday instead. Also some depots carried out parcel deliveries on St Patricks day this year, that was optional overtime, due to how busy An Post are with non essential retailers still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Glebee wrote: »

Same too.

I asked the postman why were they delivering on a bank holiday.

He said it was parcels only as they were backed up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kamu wrote: »
    There has always been someone at home to collect the deliveries so far so I can't speak directly, however I have taken 3 packages this year which were my neighbours. The driver just knocked in my door and asked would I take them and I said yes nay bother.

I know for one of those packages my neighbour knocked in for it as they got a notification on the app to say the package was left in with a neighbour.

Hmm... like yourself I've been home (or stayed home when I knew it was due that day), but that's not a great process.

Fine if you get on with your neighbours or know them, but if that's the only solution it's a shaky one. What if the neighbours are out too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got an order refunded (it was only a cheap wireless mouse) when they left it in with a neighbour I won't go near.

Note on my account now saying don't leave with neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Purchased two items on Amazon yesterday, separately Incase it made a difference amounting to £56 and duty/tax is coming in at £11.16 so something amiss there. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit : thanks to all who replied but I am not saying the duty charges on my purchases are incorrect just that cobretti €50 on a €60 spend seems excessive as my £56 would work out at roughly €60 and incurred an £11 charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

amber2 wrote:
    Purchased two items on Amazon yesterday, separately Incase it made a difference amounting to £56 and duty/tax is coming in at £11.16 so something amiss there.

DHL will add on their own fee as well in this kinda of situation but it still seems a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hy Gieni

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I explained this in another thread, there were no overnight deliveries into An Post depots on good Friday night so there were no parcel deliveries on the Saturday, hence they carried out parcel deliveries on Easter Monday instead. Also some depots carried out parcel deliveries on St Patricks day this year, that was optional overtime, due to how busy An Post are with non essential retailers still closed.

They closed Little Island Sorting Office.
    Logic was never a strong point with semi-state companies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

DHL will add on their own fee as well in this kinda of situation but it still seems a lot.

It’s usually an post delivery, do they also hit you with this charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

amber2 wrote:
    It’s usually an post delivery, do they also hit you with this charge?

Yes. All of them add their own charge for collecting VAT/duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

amber2 wrote: »
    Purchased two items on Amazon yesterday, separately Incase it made a difference amounting to £56 and duty/tax is coming in at £11.16 so something amiss there.

Amazon collects 21% for Irish VAT.
    For some reason I cannot fathom, they charge the 21% on the amount before discounts (more on that further down).

So:
    27.13 * 21% = 5.70
    25.99 * 21% = 5.46

They should charge you 21% of the amount after discount though, e.g.
    25.13 * 21% = 5.28
    19.99 * 21% = 4.20

After they pay the VAT for your items to Irish Revenue, you will be refunded the difference. This might not be exactly the difference between the amounts you see above, because the Irish VAT will be paid in Euro, and they will cover any currency conversion fees from that. But you can expect a refund for each of these, for something small, ~40p on the first one, and maybe ~1 quid on the second one.

amber2 wrote:

That seems exactly right. Customs add the delivery charge to the sale price. Even if amazon discounted/refunded the delivery it is still part of the original price. This brought both of your orders above the Irish VAT threshold. Vat is 23 percent so 11.16 is just about right.

If you were a prime member then it would have no delivery fee. With no delivery fee you would have had some chance of escaping the Irish VAT

JoyPad wrote:
    Amazon collects 21% for Irish VAT. For some reason I cannot fathom, they charge the 21% on the amount before discounts (more on that further down).

Irish vat is 23 percent. It was only 21 percent for a few months.
    JoyPad wrote:
    They should charge you 21% of the amount after discount though, e.g. 25.13 * 21% = 5.28 19.99 * 21% = 4.20

Customs charge vat/duty on the cost of the item plus delivery fee. If amazon shows a delivery discount costoms will charge vat on the delivery. The only way to escape this is to a prime member where there is no delivery charge. They don't show it on the invoice so no vat payable

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Irish vat is 23 percent. It was only 21 percent for a few months.

It's still 21% on Amazon (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Basq wrote: »
    That's your problem.. Amazon aren't liable to collect fees on behalf of third party seller as far as I'm aware.

Fees of €50 on a €60 purchase doesn't sound right though

DHL has extravagant handling fee, which is added before tax and duty...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Not sure it's a nationality thing but defo some arse delivery guys now.

Have had plenty of packages dumped out the front of the gaff.

Also had a dpd guy ring bell, open my front door (was on the way down the stairs) and throw a package inside only to walk away with door left open.

Assume they are under pressure

Our DPD fella is from Lithuania and is delightful. Really pleasant. Just had to point it out as they do get a lot of flak.

Are we back to 2 day deliveries? I'm finding things to be fierce quick at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

I ordered a couple of things Saturday evening and all due for delivery today. Few more bits I ordered Thursday arrived on Saturday too

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Our DPD fella is from Lithuania and is delightful. Really pleasant. Just had to point it out as they do get a lot of flak.

Are we back to 2 day deliveries? I'm finding things to be fierce quick at the moment.

For alot of stuff it seems to be 2 days. Obviously I think this depends on if it's in the Irish warehouse or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭gussieg

so the irish warehouse is definitely up and running?
    makes sense some stuff available at really short delivery times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

gussieg wrote: »
    so the irish warehouse is definitely up and running?
    makes sense some stuff available at really short delivery times.

The stuff I ordered on Saturday lunchtime definitely didnt come from an Irish warehouse anyway, it left UK sat night, arrived into Dublin lunchtime yesterday and delivered to Waterford this morning, many of my sold by and fulfilled by amazon orders over the last couple of weeks are back to 2 day delivery again, thankfully.

Advertisement