Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Indoor Season Results Thread: Road to Doha World Champs

Options
  • 10-01-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

With the 2010 indoor season beginning to get underway and a few small meets already having taken place, I thought a thread for results and discussion of the indoor season might be needed.

The season will culminate in Doha, Qatar, between the 12th and 14th of March with the World Indoor Championships.

We've had discussion in other threads on hopes for Ireland's athletes in 2010. At the Worlds in ’08, Ailis McSweeney and James Nolan were Ireland’s representatives. Hopefully, we’ll have a larger team heading out to the middle-east. Derval O’Rourke looks set for a full indoor season and another tilt at the World Indoor title which she won in ’06. Having run 7.97 last season, and a 7.84 PB over 60mh to her name, she has every chance of making the final, and anything can happen from there. David Gillick will hopefully line up over the indoor season and Paul Hession over 60m as well. Mary Cullen had a tremendous ’09 indoor season, first breaking Sonia’s 3000m record, and then taking bronze in Turin. The middle distance events might see Deirdre Byrne and Róisín McGettigan attempt qualification for the Worlds. Allistair Cragg to make an appearance over 3000m? I’m looking forward to some qualifiers in the field events: Deirdre Ryan in the HJ (1.95m finally?), Kelly Proper to hit 6.60m after her 6.33m opener and Zoe Brown improving her own NR again. I’m looking forward to the National Champs as well, and hoping our younger athletes take another step up.

This indoor season should see tougher competition in all events, with no major global outdoor championship for many athletes. Particularly, American athletes should be out in force this indoor season. A couple of highlights could be some juicy clashes between Dwain Chambers and his American counterparts in Doha, following his 6.42 in Turin last year. I presume we won’t see him in any major Grand Prix. Carmelita Jeter is running indoors, and so is Veronica Campbell-Brown, so hopefully they’ll clash at some stage. Dayron Robles and Xiang Liu are set to clash in Doha over 60mh, and with fierce competition for the U.S spots, that event should see some engaging encounters. Other highlights may be Idowu .v. Evora and Savigne .v. Lebedeva in the Triple Jump, Phillips .v. Mokoena .v. Saladino in the LJ, and Isinbayeva’s exploits in the PV.

Some links:
    Calendar of IAAF Permit meets: http://www.iaaf.org/WIM10/results/index.html
    Irish Indoor Champs: www.indoorathletics.net
    World Indoor Championships: http://www.iaaf.org/wic10/index.html

Any other international highlights you’re looking forward to, or other Irish athletes you’re looking forward to seeing progress this indoor season?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Nice run by Paul Scanlan of Leevale at the South of England Junior Indoors today. He lowered his 400 PB to 48.90 when finishing 2nd to James Forman.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

Tingle wrote: »
    Nice run by Paul Scanlan of Leevale at the South of England Junior Indoors today. He lowered his 400 PB to 48.90 when finishing 2nd to James Forman.

Brilliant run that, seems to run better indoors than outdoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

what is a "Permit meets"?

RealistSpy wrote: »
    what is a "Permit meets"?

It just means the meet has been given a license or permit by the governing body, ie, IAAf, European athletics, AAI etc.

Can anyone go to this meet?

• Advertisement

Can anyone go to this meet?

To watch, anyone can go.

To compete, you probably need to be very, very fast and have an agent.

O'Rourke and Gillick have to be fancied to go for gold at the World Indoors.

I think Lolo Jones is running indoors so she will obviosuly be her toughest competitor. Gillick has won european indoors before and many of the top 400 runners dont do indoors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Rose-Anne Galligan with a new 3k indoor PB of 9.20 at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Also of interest is that LJ national champ, Steve Fleming, is now training in Florida with, amongst others, World Champion Dwight Phillips.

Sticky this?

• Advertisement

Rineanna wrote: »
    Also of interest is that LJ national champ, Steve Fleming, is now training in Florida with, amongst others, World Champion Dwight Phillips.

Cool! I still think Eoin Hannon is the man to look forward to, him and Eoin Kelly in the TJ.

Cool! I still think Eoin Hannon is the man to look forward to, him and Eoin Kelly in the TJ.

Definitely. Hannon is a decent enough jumper at his best (7.44m in 2007). IIRC he's had a couple of injury problems the last couple of seasons, so, all going well, he'll have a clean run at a new PB this year.

Irish Juniors at Nenagh (cow shed) this weekend;

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=11312

AAI Games the following day.

Looking to see what Lorcan O'Cathain can do, made a big breakthrough over the summer running 21.79 at the Youth Olympics. Womens 60m will also be very interesting

Irish Juniors at Nenagh (cow shed) this weekend;

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=11312

AAI Games the following day.

Looking to see what Lorcan O'Cathain can do, made a big breakthrough over the summer running 21.79 at the Youth Olympics. Womens 60m will also be very interesting

Heating will be on :)
    I don't know if I should go this weekend to be honest I didn't even know about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 real_upstart

Back Mary Cullen for a big performance if she does indoors!!! O'Rourke, Gillick, Proper to make finals in Doha.

Report from the Junior indoor championships:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=11368

These Juniors arn't messing about :S Great 60m result. I will be recording some events tomorrow mainly the LJ, TJ and if I can get a good recording view for the 60m!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 runrunrun

good start form cragg up at the washington preview in seattle today
    Section 4
    1 Cragg, Alistair Adidas 3:55.00 3:59.42P
    2 Bayley, Tim Brighton Pho 3:58.30 3:59.58P
    3 Jefferson, John OTC 4:00.00 4:00.70P
    4 Klotz, Kenny Oregon 4:05.00 4:05.20
    5 Withers, JK Tamalpa 4:03.20 4:06.22
    6 Brown, Ryan Asics 4:08.57

Some results from Luxembourg...

Niamh Whelan ran within 1/100th of her 60m PB when she ran 7.50 to finish second.

David McCarthy (the older one) won the 800m with 1.50.63, while Joe Warne finished 6th in 1.53.63.

AAI report from the AAI games:
    Veale Sets New Junior Indoor 3k Walk

The Athletics Ireland, National Programme of Indoor Meets, kicked off this weekend, with the Nenagh Indoor Arena playing host to both the Woodie’s DIY Junior Indoor Championships on Saturday and the AAI Games on Sunday.

At the AAI Game the Women’s 3k Walk was won by Zuzana Malikova, a Slovakian International and member of West Waterford AC, in 12.53.48 minutes. One of Ireland’s most exciting, up and coming walkers, Kate Veale (West Waterford AC) who is coached by Jamie Costin, finished second in a new Junior Irish Record of 13.18.20 minutes. The record was formally held by Olive Loughnane’s sister Ann and stood at 13:27.32 minutes. Veale had won the 3,000m Walk at the Junior Indoor Championships on Saturday. In the Men’s 3k Walk, Jamie Costin of West Waterford AC, who has just returned from an Athletics Ireland, high performance warm weather training camp in Portugal, won comfortable in 11.56.29 minutes.

The Women’s 60m Final, produced the race of the day. Amy Foster of University of Ulster, who was quickest out of the blocks, displayed a fine return to form to win in a new personal best of 7.50 seconds. Clare Brady of Celbridge AC, who is now coached by former Irish Sprint International Gary Ryan, was second in 7.55 seconds. Kelly Proper of Ferrybank AC, who focused exclusively on the 60m sprint at the meet, placed third in 7.57 seconds. The introduction of the new IAAF no break rule caused little problems in all the sprint events of the day, with only one disqualification.

In the Men’s High Jump, Kouroush Foroughi of Star of the Sea AC, set a new Indoor personal best jumping an impressive 2.15 metres, a 5cm improvement on his previous best, set in March of last year.

The Men’s 1000m had one of the biggest fields of the day, with three races being run to facilitate the numbers. In the A 1000m Final, Emmet Dunleavy of Sligo AC set the early pace, bringing the leading pack through 800m in 1:58 minutes. With 300m to go Alan O’Brien, of Crusaders AC took a commanding lead and looked to have run the perfect tactical race. However, Junior Athletes, Darren McBrearty and Paul Robinson of St. Coca’s AC made decisive moves coming over the final bend to close the ground on O’Brien. Robinson showed an impressive turn of speed in the final metres, to outkick both athletes to win in 2.27.38 minutes with McBrearty second in 2.27.74 and O’Brien third in 2.28.38. O’Brien later lined up in the Men’s 3000m and won in convincing style in 8.28.69 minutes from Patrick McCartan of West Limerick in 8.30.47.

Great jumping by Faroughi, walking from Veale and early sprinting form from Foster, Brady and Proper. Promising to see the need for 3 races in the 1000m.

• Advertisement

Very good indoors 2day got a new 60m pb in race1 I think I broke it again in race 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I wonder how Mr/Ric/Ricky Flair feels about his performance this weekend? Perhaps he would like to post a comment or is he still banned ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

David Rooney with a great season opener in the US 8.21 for 3k

Kourosh is the man, I love him (not in a gay way). He jumped 2.15, was taking about 45 secs between jumps, nearly cleared 2.18 on his first attempt but got tired then I think. He has the attributes, no doubt, with the fact he is a little bit different being one of them.

Great seeing Amy Foster back running well after last season. She is so smooth out of the blocks and in transition. I think the Womens 60 in the Odyssey will be a cracker with Whelan and outdoor 100m champ McSweeney and a possible resurgent Anna Boyle now coached by Sean Cahill to be added to the trio of Foster, Brady and Proper. Brady, while beaten today is also looking sharp.

Eoin Hannon popped out a 7.18 and looked very fast on the runway, PBs could be coming in the summer.

First time seeing Kate Veale. A class act and she looks like a top walker already, very well developed and probably has the best mentor/coach that a youngster could have.

Paul Robinson is a tough cookie too. Alan O' Brien was in the driving seat and had the race swen up with 100 to go but Robinson bided his time and won very well. O' Brien made up for it in the 3000 and showed that there is no substitute for speed when all else was equal no matter what the event. Good to see Richie Corcoran back after injury wiped out his outdoor season in 09.

But highlight was the womens 60m (the two races). I love it when there are head to heads - its what athletics is all about.

To add to Kate Veale's record in Nenagh, Clare Fitzgerald broke the Irish Junior Shot Putt record in New York with a 13.91m.

http://www.gojaspers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12500&ATCLID=204870398

AAI Camphionship Results

I have a new PB 7.42 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jackie_Dazzler

well done!

Paul Scanlan followed up his silver and 48.90 pb in the 400 last week with a bronze in the 200 at the Southern U20s in 22.60 which is a big PB, very impressive considering he was originally an 800m runner. he was consistent as well with two other sub 23 runs

A couple of meets abroad this weekend with Irish in action:

Welsh Senior Champs: http://www.welshathletics.org/2010-welsh-indoor-championships/

Patrick Phelan (200m), Nick Hogan (400m), Andy Kidd (400m), Conor Healy (800m/1500m), Richard Corcoran & Chris Jones(1500m), Kevin Moriarty, Eoin Flynn (3000m) and Niall Counihan (TJ).

ASVÖ Vienna Indoor Gala: http://www.viennaindoor.at/starts.htm

Kelly Proper (60m, LJ), Niamh Whelan (60m) and Chris Russell (60m).

Anyone know of Irish in action in the U.S?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

Kelly Proper broke the Irish long jump record in Vienna with a great leap of 6.62m, well done to her!

Advertisement