Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Indoor Season Results Thread: Road to Doha World Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

Scanlon ran a 48.38 to get him to AAA's final tomorrow.

Wow some serious 400 times this year ... where did you get the results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 AnotherLapMan

Did anyone see the results? I mean I heard there was a couple of close encounters, shoulders barging and Harvey ran a blinder to get out of it and qualify for the semi. Later over came some odds to qualify to the final. Scanlan ran unreal i mean 48.38 some run... Tim Crowe also ran a blinder in the heats and qualified to the final as well...

Possible 1 2 3 Ireland.. Irish 400m is really getting along now. Canada relay will be an interesting comp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Ah, this old chestnut!!

What continues to astound me is how good are women are despite the complete and utter lack of depth in terms of participation.

How do we have a World Class sprint hurdles when we don't have enough people to run heats in hurdles/sprints at nationals??

How much untapped female athletic talent is out there in this country??

That is very true. It could be that women will probably stop when they get to their 20s if they aren't really competitive, I don't know.

Its also strange when you consider that athletics is the one sport where women's achievements are more on a par with mens, well from most anyway. So if women succeed in the sport they will be as 'big' as the men so that should be a spur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kilkenny runner

WHERE are you getting the results .....
    please provide a link ?
    website name ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lacticsmygame

Wow some serious 400 times this year ... where did you get the results?

Results aren't up yet, I don't think anyway. I was talking to a few people over at the AAA's, that's how I had Scanlon's result.

An Irish 1,2,3 would be some achievement but I believe GB's Jack Green ran quicker than Scanlon in the same race so he will be hard beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Victories in Birmingham for Paul Robinson, Andrew Monaghan, Ciara Mageean and Katie Kirk.

http://www.athletics-uk.net/results/ea2010/i_age.htm

Victories in Birmingham for Paul Robinson, Andrew Monaghan, Ciara Mageean and Katie Kirk.

http://www.athletics-uk.net/results/ea2010/i_age.htm

Excellent, go on the nordies!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Victory also for John Kelly (Finn Valley) winner of the U-15 Boys Shot, by nearly 2 meters. Indoor Champion in Ireland, Scotland and now England.

McBrearty got a silver behind Robinson in the 1500, nice 1-2 there!

Harvey got a silver in the 400, he's really stepped his game up there, Scanlan apparently got pushed right out of contention in a scuffle with Tim Crowe!

Lorcan got 4th in the 200

1.90 m for Deirdre Ryan today in France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 anotheronebites

fagan in new orleans half marathon

1.Martin Lel 61:07
    2. Sam Wanjiru 61:33
    3. Shadrack Biwott 61:40
    4. Martin Fagan 62:11

Harvey got a silver in the 400, he's really stepped his game up there, Scanlan apparently got pushed right out of contention in a scuffle with Tim Crowe!

Yeah I've just seen a video of the 400...Crowe shoved him out about 3 lanes coming into the first bend after the bell! Fairly hard push at that, but, it's all part of indoor racing. Hope Scanlon can keep improving and maybe get the WJC standard come outdoor season. He has the world youth olympic standard now anyway.

Great run by Harvey too (48.76) - that's an improvement on his outdoor pb so all's looking good for him too. Relay team for Canada is a possibility so long as Fearghus Hannon can get back running well after his injury.

Relay team for Canada is a possibility so long as Fearghus Hannon can get back running well after his injury.

Relay team not reliant on Hannon being fit in my opinion. He is a 48 man so would be a key part but Patrick Maher has a 49.4 indoors this season and that adds depth.

No doubt at the Junior men level the event is in rude health. We have 4 juniors who are 48 men, a 5th who is a low 49 (Maher) and then others like Gregan's training partners Mackey and Kervick who are low 50 indoors this season (there may others hovering at the 50 secs too). Interestingly, 3 of those sub 49.5 are 400m hurdlers who if they focus on the event and based on their flat times should very possibly get the world standard of 53.34 for the 400 hurdles, albeit only 2 could go. There are a gaggle of lads who are 20/21 who are running decent times too. Great to see such depth. If half of these can push onto the next level (46/47) we'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JKF

Full Irish team announced: http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2010/0301/athletics.html

No Hazel Murphy or Alistair Cragg :confused: And I'm pretty sure theres someone else with the standard missing too...

Disappointing about Cragg.

Glad that Gregan decided to run. Will be interesting to see how he fairs amongst the big boys. The 4x4 is strong enough if MacCarthy runs it. Unusual about Tim Crowe seeing as Harvey and Scanlon have both ran faster indoors this year than him - Scanlon over half a second faster. That's not to say Crowe doesn't deserve his spot, however, he has had an outstanding indoor season for a junior. I think it'll be interesting to see who gets the 4th spot on the team, presuming MacCarthy will be included, considering Murphy, Hogan, and Ryan all have similar indoor season's bests this year.

Also, can't wait to see Gillick in action! :D

Scanlan is probably too young although it didn't harm McMahon last year when she went to Turin. I don't think the results this weekend were taken into account in the relay, as far as I know it was results after the Celtic Cup. At that stage Crowe was ahead of Harvey but behind Scanlan (who we presume is ruled out due to his age). Again, as many times with selections, you are 2nd guessing. Having said that, I don't disagree with the Crowe selection and a great idea to bring him.

Gillick will very unlikely run the heat of the 4x4. Can they get to the final without him? 3:09 will be needed I'd say. Without Gillick the quartet of Gregan, Murphy, Ryan and Hogan will get very close to that. With Gillick in the final and it been a 4 x 4 anything is possible. If Gregan gets to the final (which is possible) then all bets are off. You'd have to just let the other 4 off and let the boys concentrate on the final.

JKF wrote: »
    Full Irish team announced: http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2010/0301/athletics.html

No Hazel Murphy or Alistair Cragg :confused: And I'm pretty sure theres someone else with the standard missing too...

Hazel Murphy has been selected.
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=12131

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JKF

So I see now :) Its been updated. There was no mention of her earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

What a difference two years make.

In 2008, we had two athletes representing Ireland in Valencia, James Nolan and Ailis McSweeney.

In 2010, we have fifteen.

Granted, '08 was an olympic year, but it's still an amazing turn in numbers.

I'd want Billy Ryan to run, as he is younger than the lies of Murphy and Hogan, but has similar times and is a bigger talent, and its going to be a bigger benefit to him and AAI if he runs.

He shouldve ran 47.5 at least outdoors last year based on his indoor runs, I hope he can really kick on this year

• Advertisement

Not so much Doha related, but AAI have just tweeted that Joanne Cuddihy is making her comeback over the next few days. I'm guessing it's the Melbourne Track Classic.

Lorcan O'Cathain ran 21.89 at the AAAs, which is faster than Chris Russel has ever run indoors, bearing in mind Russel has ran 21.4 outdoors, and is certainly more suited to indoor running than Lorcan, we could be seeing some big times from him come the summer. Got another year as a junior as well!

Derval O'Rourke in action in Lievin in France tomorrow night against a strong field.

As an outdoor related aside, Joanne Cuddihy ran 52.95 in Melbourne a while ago, while Mary Cullen won the 5000m in 15.27. Orla Drumm made her comeback in that race too but DNF'd. Good to see her back, all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 anotheronebites

you forgot dave campbell...3:48.7 for 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Philosophress

RTE are reporting that Derval has pulled out of the World Indoors - It's a real shame.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2010/0304/orourked.html

RTE are reporting that Derval has pulled out of the World Indoors - It's a real shame.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2010/0304/orourked.html

It is a shame. Hopefully it ins't too serious and she'll be back for the outdoors. If this woman got a clear run of health ............

Gutted for Derval ... rather it happened on the eve of the Indoors than before the Europeans

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

whats the story with RTE coverage for the Worlds? If any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

MarieC wrote: »
    whats the story with RTE coverage for the Worlds? If any?

None unless they do another highlights show. There is coverage on Setanta 1 and www.universalsports.com which will show full coverage on live stream though it is an early start 6.00am coverage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

A comprehensive timetable of Irish action now available

http://ireland.flotrack.org/article/post/show/id/56-World-Indoors-Irish-Timetable

Advertisement