Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It: Chapter Two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think most of the weakness of the film is in the source material. It's a structural mess. It doesn't need a polish, it needs a complete re-imagining.

I didn't hate it, but I understand the vitriol it's inspiring in some reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Shred

Hmmmm....I had a look at the article. The cast is the only saving grace really so I feel the review is harsh. Seems like a very rushed dismissal evident by her getting the year wrong that the first film was released.

Despite not having seen the film this was my feeling too, it reads like a hatchet job and that’s why I didn’t even link to it. But like I said, this type of review doesn’t surprise me from the IT and I usually don’t bother with them these days (the less said about that insufferable bore Donald Clarke the better too).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

First one was awesome, watched the sewer grate scene a hundred times. Bill is amazing.

This one was nonsense. Was it the same director and screenwriter? Baffling.

Bill Hader was good, but James Ransone cinched it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

So disappointed with this movie it was a complete mess. It looked amazing from the trailers but I actually hated it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭sonic85

PostWoke wrote: »
    First one was awesome, watched the sewer grate scene a hundred times. Bill is amazing.

This one was nonsense. Was it the same director and screenwriter? Baffling.

Bill Hader was good, but James Ransone cinched it for me.

I thought Hader and Ransone were probably the best characters in the movie. I thought McAvoy and Chastaine weren't great and the kids from the first were wasted with pointless flashbacks and a handful of scenes that didn't really add a whole lot to the story.

• Advertisement

sonic85 wrote: »
    I thought Hader and Ransone were probably the best characters in the movie. I thought McAvoy and Chastaine weren't great and the kids from the first were wasted with pointless flashbacks and a handful of scenes that didn't really add a whole lot to the story.

I came to a realization during this movie. I don't like McAvoy in anything he's been in. I personally find him super boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I came to a realization during this movie. I don't like McAvoy in anything he's been in. I personally find him super boring.

Have you watched Split? he's incredibly entertaining in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday and unfortunately it really is as bad as the Irish Times review. At least an hour too long to boot. The teens in front of me got so bored at one stage they went out to get McDonald's.

That's gas! Some films are just too long! I won't go to see this...but will watch it at some stage..

All these bad reviews are making me want to watch it more though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Saw it tonight, whatever problems the film may have regarding pacing, I thought it did a decent job with such unwieldy and narratively complex source material. The kids portion of the story is just more engaging and memorable in every incarnation of the story. Any problems I had with this film were problems I also had with Chapter 1 too, i.e. dodgy/overly cartoonish CGI, ineffective jump scares, etc.
    The Irish Times review was ludicrously harsh imho, in no way is this a one star film. Perhaps the "paper of record" should be getting reviewers who understand genres a bit better and can be more even-handed in their reviews, going a little bit deeper than a paddling pool.
    So where does the franchise go from here? If it does mega bucks over the weekend I can't see Warners leaving money on the table and just saying "that's that"- we'll likely have another installment in a few years. The problem is there's nothing really to work with, an origin story film holds no interest for me at all. Maybe King himself could have a sequel novel in the works involving the 70-something Loser's Club lol.
    Personally I don't think IT as a whole is terribly suited for the standard movie format, there's just so much going on in that doorstop of a novel. Would love to see it adapted longform as a 10-13 part series with a more cerebral and nasty Pennywise (Skaarsgard's running at people got old quickly, not enough time spent on the fear aspect). I've read that Ben Mendelsohn was in the running for Pennywise early on, would have loved to see what he could have done with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just as a counterpoint to the above, I’d happily state that there is no single film I’ve seen in the cinema over the past few years that I’d less hesitantly give a one-star review to than It Chapter Two. A fair and justified score as far as I’m concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Dear God.did anyone like it?im going to see it this evening.

Have you watched Split? he's incredibly entertaining in that.

Yeah I did. He was almost there, but so was the movie. Give me Signs over it any day of the week, most of Shamyalan's output actually. Didn't see the new Split crossover film yet, any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dear God.did anyone like it?im going to see it this evening.

Currently 7.2/10 on imdb from 25k reviews, so yes plenty of people including myself liked it. I might see it again before it leaves the cinema.

PS a few cameos in there, the guy who played Ben in the 1990 film is in there, as is Mr King himself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Saw it Friday night myself and I'm weirdly still processing how I feel about it.

There were a few things that just did not need to be in the movie at all. The drawn out ending was driving me demented and the final battle was spliced with pointless cut scenes.

I think the issue is that the kids portion is just more resonating. Being afraid of all those things that go bump in the night and your worst fears actually coming to life and trying to kill you - I didnt get that sense of dread with the adults. Probably because I've been watching horrors involving adults for over 20 years at this point so nothing can really bother me.

They made a piss poor job of a couple of characters as well, namely
    Ben, who they turned from one of the best characters in Part 1 to just background, vacuous eye candy for the most part.

And don't get me started how they ruined Henry Bowers. From the menacing psychopath in the first movie to a weirdo wandering around with a knife basically. It just didnt translate from the book to the screen.

There were some brilliant moments though, a good few scenes I thought were done incredibly, the
    funhouse being one, and the part where the statue comes to life. I also liked that they went there in the beginning with the gay bashing scene, wasnt sure that they would have the balls to do that. I also really liked the part of Bevs scene where Skarsgard was putting on his makeup, in comparison to the giant naked old lady this was creepy without falling into the realm of being hilarious

The casting was spot on for Richie, Bev and Eddie. Less so for Ben... but that was always gonna be a problem. Young Bill wins out over Mcevoys Big Bill, no question or doubt there.

Overall it was a bit bloated, there were tonnes of scenes you look back and say 'why didnt they just cut that? What difference would it have made?'

But I think I enjoyed it weirdly. I'm going to let it simmer for a few more days and will probably reserve final judgement till I get the DVD and watch both back to back if I'm completely honest.

Ah online reviews, the last vestige of hope. I don't give them much weight myself. Already dreading any discourse about The Rise of Skywalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Necro I totally agree on
    Bowers. When we first saw him I was impressed, he looked the part for an older Henry. But the character in Chapter 1 was fantastic. Genuinely unsettling in the intensity and fury of his venom.

Old Henry had the same lack of regard for life, but he was a chuckling gibbering buffoon. The fire and fury was gone and that was a real highlight of his younger version.

I found Old Henry's chauffeur ridiculous. Absurdity can work, but I don't think it did here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Very poor.
    Some decent tension in the first half all thrown away.

The CGI and what sounded like voice overs in the bunker was strange.
    Also, I loved the ending of the book
    silver helping bring Bill’s wife out of the locked in syndrome

Agreed on adult Henry
    his death and associated death of Eddie was much better handled in the books too.

Loved the 3 doors though and the Old Lady’s apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

sonic85 wrote: »

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The over use of humour unfortunately continually drove a wedge through the suspense. Nearly every scene or "moment" was followed by quip of some sorts.

Decent film, but nearly 3 hours. C'mon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah I did. He was almost there, but so was the movie. Give me Signs over it any day of the week, most of Shamyalan's output actually. Didn't see the new Split crossover film yet, any good?

Incredibly poor. And has an ending that makes you wish it had never been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was alright but I felt the way it played out was a bit of a mess, half way through I noted it was very bland and could have done with less cgi and more practical effects. Also the humour really killed any creepy atmosphere it could have had, the ending was its strongest part IMO but I much preferred the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tonzboher

saw it Saturday night, definitely not as good as the first one.

Was an hour too long what made it worse is we were surrounded by loads of teenagers who had no interest in the film and kept talking for the whole film. We couldn't wait to get out of there!

the scares were very predicable and no real explanation of where Pennywise came from, or maybe i missed that part!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I saw this on Sunday.

It starts off well and then kills off its own momentum with the characters going on their memory quests before turning into a generic showdown at the end. It's all stuff we've seen before and just felt like the first film with adults and the mystery removed and replaced with the daft quests. Bill Hader ruined it a bit for me as well. The humour just wasn't funny and killed what tension there was. It just wasn't scary at the end of the day. A shame.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I was really looking forward to this. I thought they mostly nailed the casting but beyond that it was just disappointing. The parts where they kept close to the book were good but seemed to always change something about it. The CGI was dodgy, the scene with Mrs Kersh
    turning Into Gollum at the end... Really the miniseries did it better, although I enjoyed the human Pennywise part.
    . The ending was silly too.
    It ends up as Bear from Bo Selecta..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Without reading the spoilers, is the ending anything like the books? Cos that was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Without reading the spoilers, is the ending anything like the books? Cos that was weird.
    No, it skirts around it but beyond one or two similarities, it's just different.

What was the ending in the book? Because the film ending was already super dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What was the ending in the book? Because the film ending was already super dumb.

More or less:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Thought it was okay, considering there was a lot of hype around it being super scary and one of the best remakes ever.

6-7/10 for me.

Advertisement