Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Ireland XDA Exec questions: MP3s, software/skype, vs Palm Pilot

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Would be interesting to know if those problems are common on all Execs, or only on the O2 ones. Wonder if O2 have fusked up the branding software?

I've been using the iMate Jasjar since the start of this year and their latest rom has proved very stable for me, plus it added push email from exchange.

With all XDA's it is best to install in 'Corporate' mode and this limits the extra junk from o2 being installed, also i would recommend reflashing it with the generic iMate or QTEK firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Greetings all,

I have my Exec about 3/4 weeks now, and I am now seeing problems.

My main issue at the moment is signal strenght, it is very poor in most areas where you should be getting full signal bar.
    also i have been unable to connect to my WiFi at home, it keeps jumping on to GPRS.

At O2 they report that there have been NO complaints at all from XDA Exec users, and that I am the first to raise any concerns !!!!!!!!

This I am begining to disbelieve.

Also the phone can freeze.

It freezes mainly in phone mode.
    and can be very slow when accessing different programs.
    especially with media player.

I would be sad to have to return to my XDA IIi
    But at least that worked for me, I wonder if I could upgrade the XDAIIi to windows mobile 5

regards
    Silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PMcG

Apologies for this repeat post but I've had no success trying to get assistance from O2 salespeople or O2's Data Support line (1740).

I'm experiencing a recurring (about every 5 seconds) glitch when using WMP to play back audio files, stored on an SD card, through the Exec speakers. Playback through the earphones is fine.
    I've tried another Exec and the speakers problem is still there.

I'd be very grateful if someone with an Exec wouldn't mind trying the following and letting me know how you get on:
    1) Put an audio file (mp3 or wma or wav) on to an SD card
    2) Insert the SD card into your Exec and play the audio file back through the Exec speakers using Windows Media Player

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Here's a test you can do yourself. Backup the contents on your card, then format it while its in the device. Reload your content including your audio files and then try your WMP.

Typically the SD cards are pre-formatted, I've also seen some issues with this and the result is that I now format them in the device I'll use them with. The issue you are encountering is a symptom of this (card i/o response).

Additionally, if you have today items loaded that are running from the SD card, you could be causing a bottleneck where the today plug-in item is trying to update itself.

Any software that contains today screen plug-ins is better suited to main memory installation.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PMcG

Thanks a lot for this Howard. Unfortunately, I returned the Exec for a refund a few days ago as I had additional problems with it.

That's why I'm asking if someone out there with an Exec wouldn't mind giving audio playback from an SD card a try; I've called into O2 stores myself to try it out but none of them have the device on display and all are unwilling to open up a boxed Exec to allow you test it: very unhelpful.

If it turns out that the speakers playback problem proves *not* to be a device fault though I'd be back in there immediately to get one. However, at this moment I've tried out 2 Execs with no success and haven't heard from a single person who has experienced smooth audio playback (from an SD card) through the Exec speakers.
    hshortt wrote:
    Backup the contents on your card, then format it while its in the device.

Not sure how to format the SD card while it's in the Exec.
    hshortt wrote:
    The issue you are encountering is a symptom of this (card i/o response).

Exactly what I thought initially. However, it doesn't seem to make sense that audio playback is OK through the earphones but not through the speakers - surely card i/o applies to both. Also I've had no problems with SD-based audio playback through the speaker on my *XDA II*. Finally, I tried 2 different SD cards (a Sandisk and one I bought from Expansys) in the Exec: same speakers playback problem with both. Everything seems to point to the speakers in the Exec.
    hshortt wrote:
    Additionally, if you have today items loaded that are running from the SD card, you could be causing a bottleneck where the today plug-in item is trying to update itself.

Any software that contains today screen plug-ins is better suited to main memory installation.

The *only* items on the SD card are a few audio files.

Cheers,
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

No Irish network has Edge (2.5g) yet. Meteor keep making noises about it though.
    Meteor does have Edge in many parts of Dublin since recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ribjim

I recently bought an XDA Exec from 02 but am having a number of problems with it. Things like, switching off within less than a minute, phone rings and when I answer it no one is there, other calls there seems to be a delay after I answer it, really an overall difficulty picking up calls, screen freezing, mulitple screens seems to be appearing at the same time, WiFi appears to be on all the time. O2 have told me now that they will only send it back for repair as I have had it for just over their 30 day policy, only reason I have not brought it back before is because I thought it was the way I was using it and I had just to get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

ribjim - you could try ringing O2 data support on 1850601740 and see if they can link you to a software update? Will need to do that myself one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ribjim

Finally took it back to the shop. When I explained the first problem, the assistant said "that sounds like a phone problem", when I mentioned the next problem he said "well that sounds like a software problem" when I mentioned the next problem he siad " and that sounds like a hardware problem" When I listed a few more he said that they would probable just replace it. Got to wait ten days now and had to pay €50 deposit for a loan of another phone (just basic phone) for the privilege. I wouldn't mind so much but I have three phones with them (two with the business and one for my wife), my average monthly bills run to about €400 - €500 and I have been with them for over 6 years. But hopefully it will get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, that just sounds like the person you were talking to hadn't a clue. It's a pity you didn't attempt a ROM upgrade before you sent it back.

I got my O2 Atom last week and performance was, to say the least, patchy. I upgraded the ROM (very straight forward procedure) and it has made a dramatic improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's no official O2 ROM upgrade available. I was told October or November on the phone. So the only thing I guess the guy in the shop could do was hard reset the device?

Why don't you try the T-Mobile, Q-Tek or I-Mate ROMs for the Universal, they are reported to be better.

Cheerio
    Howard
    HTC Hermes - Vodafone V1605

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Any update on this as I am thinking of getting one. Local O2 shop told me they have never had even one with problems? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Just a thought but why would anyone want a universal now when you can get a Hermes sim free??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

I am due a platinum upgrade, so thats why I was looking at the Universal. It would probably cost me double that to get the Hermes and believe me, I have a drawer full of phones here, so I am not gonna spend too much until I move some of them on. :)

Get one - drop it on Ebay and get a hermes ;)

Its only advantage is the VGA screen

It's also got a faster processor - 520Mhz Intel v 400Mhz Samsung. Exec is a good device, but it's big. Hermes is much smaller and quite well featured, 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, 2Mega Pixel Camera, Video Calling, Scroll Wheel and more.

Cheerio
    Howard

Where is the best place to source the Hermes, Are O2 supplying this phone yet.

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Silverki.

PS Fed up with all the problems with the Exec. and the lack of help from O2

Also What are HTC naming the Hermes as ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

The HTC sim free model is called the Tytn. I picked mine up on expansys.

silverski wrote:
    Where is the best place to source the Hermes, Are O2 supplying this phone yet.

Its the :
    HTC Tytn (sim free)
    O2 XDA Trion (o2 germany with QWERTZ keyboard, Maybe UK dont hold your breath for Irl)
    Orange M3100 in UK
    Imate JasJam (sim free)
    TMobile MDA Vario II (UK and Europe)
    Vodafone v1605 (UK)

• Advertisement

On Expansys for € 749.95 oops:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wiimoteman

MetL wrote:
    Has anyone got the XDA Exec yet?

I want to know if it is limited or altered by O2 Ireland in any significant way, (apart from being sim locked onto O2 network), for example, can I play any MP3s, can I install any software (e.g. Skype)? I'm curious to what extent O2 modify the installed software/firmware on a device like this.

I've asked in O2 shops and the sales people didn't seem too sure. I've sent an email to O2 but I want to hear consumer's side also.

Related question...
    (This is a pretty subjective question I didn't post to O2.)

I'm thinking of getting this phone to replace my old Palm PDA. Have any serious PDA users switched to XDA or Windows Mobile and how did they find it?

The XDA Exec is very expensive, I'm trying to find out if it is worth it.
    I have basicly the same question except I plan to get the xda orbit, also does anone know if a simfree xda orbit would include "Co-Piolet" navigation software (because the o2 locked one does.)

Advertisement