Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

Back to basics.

How are folk coping with closed pubs.
    first thing I did when I heard the pubs were closing was to stock up on about two months worth of booze, so im sorted for now. after that its just wait and see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is going to be some blowout when this is over

C19 day will be a national holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Very well. I was a regular until the middle of last week and then tailored habits abruptly when the crisis loomed. Now protecting vulnerable loved ones is my highest priority, no matter what the cost. Some in this thread couldn't give a damn about others provided they themselves remain healthy, a saddening insight into the darker aspects of human nature.

Just because I suggested an alternative to how this crisis is being handled dosent mean I don't care about my own family or fellow citizen. Im worried about my own folks who are elderly, one with diabetes and another with a heart condition. But good luck with your own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Back to basics.

How are folk coping with closed pubs.

Well I'm no stranger to the pub, but to be honest I'm not too bothered about them closing. Except for the impact on staff and their families.

Decided to knock the drink on the head for a few months around the first week in March, but would have still gone to watch sports with friends and just have non-alcoholic drinks, but sure that's gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There is going to be some blowout when this is over

C19 day will be a national holiday

The first open Good Friday a few years ago was one of ther best days, evenings, nights in my local forever so ya it will be fairly lively the first night they reopen:), somehting to lool forward to, i used enjoy a couple of evnings a week there for a couple of pints, dont miss the drink but miss the crack but it had to be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

What is the rule though? I didn't read anything about legislation forcing pubs to close but read that the cops shut a pub in Cabra last night.

they shut all the pubs in Galway city last sat night and some of them were jammers at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

A lot of vodka is being used for hand sanitiser though!

Oh it is yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

They shouldn't, this whole thing is ridiculous, if people want to avoid getting the flu then stay home from the pub

You could pass it on to me and then I could pass it on to an elderly person close to me. Please don't catch it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't see many reports of a run on the off licenses and supermarkets for grog.

Is this going to herald a change in our love for the oul pub/alcohol or what?

People still need to get up in the morning, even if it's working from home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What is the rule though? I didn't read anything about legislation forcing pubs to close but read that the cops shut a pub in Cabra last night.

You must have only read half the story. The other half went on about that pub still being open after hours. It still had customers in there an hour and a half after closing time. And it was on Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You must have only read half the story. The other half went on about that pub still being open after hours. It still had customers in there an hour and a half after closing time. And it was on Sunday night.

I dont think an extra hour and a half was going to make much difference in spreading the virus around the country.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I dont think an extra hour and a half was going to make much difference in spreading the virus around the country.

Had nothing to do with the virus. Licensing has strict opening times.

Had nothing to do with the virus. Licensing has strict opening times.

good one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Idiots, were they not told that it has to be at least 60% alcohol to be effective as hand sanitizer?
    Just use two bottles then! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

good one :pac:

It does. Just doesn't mean it's always enforced. And i'd imagine the Gardai are not as busy as they would usually be, so have more time now to enforce these laws, especially in the middle of an pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't understand why everything has to be shut down like this. 86% of people infected have mild or no symptoms. Just put resources and cocoon those over 65 and at risk and let everybody else go about their business
    Somebody get this man a Nobel prize in medicine. Someone inform the epidemiologists of this brilliant and not at all obvious solution so they can confirm it definitely works and put it into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

As a bar man who lost his job over this its been hard. But also as someone who doesn't drink at home at all its even harder. I understand why there shut though. This weekend will be hard as I enjoy a drink but won't be drinking at home so a few dry months ahead of me ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As a bar man who lost his job over this its been hard. But also as someone who doesn't drink at home at all its even harder. I understand why there shut though. This weekend will be hard as I enjoy a drink but won't be drinking at home so a few dry months ahead of me ha ha

Out of interest, which bar and why was it a full-on job loss? Are they not expecting to be able to re-open once this is over, or have they let everyone go and are planning to re-hire after the quarantine...?

I don't understand why everything has to be shut down like this. 86% of people infected have mild or no symptoms. Just put resources and cocoon those over 65 and at risk and let everybody else go about their business

It's this attitude and the lack of understanding which means that we need to make it a law that people who don't understand contagious diseases need to be told what to do.

Sadly, if you and people like you, understood that what you just said was bull****, we may not need a shut down. Unfortunately, we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Idiots, were they not told that it has to be at least 60% alcohol to be effective as hand sanitizer?

60ml Surgical Spirit::5ml Olive Oil::10 Drops of Washing up Liquid::Water Top Up To 100ml Total...
    Thanks To Life-Pharmacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yes, but it often happens in fairness, old people die.

You're talking about this as if it's only killing those who were at deaths door anyway - this is killing people who'd otherwise have 20+ years to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

It's this attitude and the lack of understanding which means that we need to make it a law that people who don't understand contagious diseases need to be told what to do.

Sadly, if you and people like you, understood that what you just said was bull****, we may not need a shut down. Unfortunately, we do.

People like me?? For people like you it must be stunning that humanity has survived as long as it has with all these contagious diseases..but we are all the same as far as the virus is concerned so whatever way you want to handle it lets just hope for the best, shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

People like me?? For people like you it must be stunning that humanity has survived as long as it has with all these contagious diseases..but we are all the same as far as the virus is concerned so whatever way you want to handle it lets just hope for the best, shall we?

Humanity has of course survived, just as the diseases have.

Many individuals haven't though and many are about to die. The more people that try to stubbornly continue as normal over the next few weeks, the more people will die prematurely. It really is that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Vic_08 wrote: »

Short of a medical breakthrough that hasn't been possible with other viral infections globally I can't see this being eradicated at all, our way of life has changed for good, free movement and especially global tourism is gone.

I find it hard to believe that people are still thinking of this as some short term interruption to their lives that will just blow over in a week or two, it won't.

Honestly, no one knows either way how what the world looks like once this is over with. A global crisis like this has as much chance to bring our species together, as it does of having our species get more distant. We simply don't know, as we don't know the full extent of this disease, it is still a very new thing.

Even if your prediction is correct, I'd strongly doubt it being a permanent thing.

The world maybe altered, it may go back to how it was before... the only real certainty, is that peoples personal hygiene routine will be improved after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Out of interest, which bar and why was it a full-on job loss? Are they not expecting to be able to re-open once this is over, or have they let everyone go and are planning to re-hire after the quarantine...?
    The plan is to re open after this at which time I will have my job back but the longer it goes on the harder it will be for places to re open. I reckon a lot of bars wont re open at all to be honest they can't afford to be closed up for a prolonged period and this isn't going to be going away any time soon unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

We haven't even begun to see the start of this thing. One week without pubs - pft - I don't think closures beyond 2 months is unreasonable. And especially with the careless attitude highlighted in threads such as this (Lock ins, desperate to go drinking etc)..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    You're talking about this as if it's only killing those who were at deaths door anyway - this is killing people who'd otherwise have 20+ years to live.

He'll just put you on ignore if you question his views,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Pubs in Dublin will re open but many in the country will remain closed. This will suit Fine Gaels get everything jobs etc into Dublin agenda.

When do ye think the pubs will reopen?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭trumptheman

When do ye think the pubs will reopen?

Start of June I reckon with a limited number of people aloud depending on size of pub.

Advertisement