Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

anewme wrote: »
    It is not just elderly relatives of those travelling though. It is elderly relatives of those OP and wife work with and everyone at the childrens schools.

And it can take time to show up.

I'd be having words with HR if someone in the office rocked up on a Monday after a weekend in Northern Italy.

What precisely do you think HR can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Protect their employees as is their duty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51625733

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51625733

Great stuff has the Irish government stated the same and who pays the employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It is not just elderly relatives of those travelling though. It is elderly relatives of those OP and wife work with and everyone at the childrens schools.

And it can take time to show up.

I'd be having words with HR if someone in the office rocked up on a Monday after a weekend in Northern Italy.

Ha! Words with HR :D

If someone wants to pay me to stay at home after my holiday they're more than welcome. I'd imagine you'll get short shrift if you were in pestering HR about this.

If someone wants to pay me to stay at home after my holiday they're more than welcome. I'd imagine you'll get short shrift if you were in pestering HR about this.

They would have to pay you allright.

But if you think HR would not take it seriously, then you are mistaken. We've had similar already about travel it is being taken seriously. Ive no doubt there would be numerous complaints.

And schools similar - if parents heard there are pupils back from Northern Italy, you can guarantee there would be complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

In relation to travel to Italy - current DFA advice is to self-isolate if you have returned from 4 specified regions in Italy AND are showing symptoms. Or if you have been in close contact with a confirmed case and again AND are showing symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Does anyone know what happens where an airline cancels flights to an area but the cancellation only applies on your return journey?

For example if someone was due to fly to Spain next week then the flights are cancelled for the week after for the return flight?

Does that mean the airline only needs to refund for the flight back even though you cannot complete your full trip due to the cancellation?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

My Company has just cancelled all international travel globally until the 1st of April at least.

It's a very large multi-national with 150k+ employees . I personally had 3 overseas trips scheduled for March , they are now deferred until sometime in April at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    My Company has just cancelled all international travel globally until the 1st of April at least.

It's a very large multi-national with 150k+ employees . I personally had 3 overseas trips scheduled for March , they are now deferred until sometime in April at the earliest.

And that’s good. Fair play to them for being willing to take the first step. But it doesn’t mean anything unless everyone Nationally and internationally agrees to do the same - no travel.

It takes someone to step forward and be first. And if everyone agrees to do it, I’ll do it too. But in the meantime, I’ll go on holiday as planned.

• Advertisement

Great stuff has the Irish government stated the same and who pays the employee?

With the second case in Ireland from Northern Italy, Lombardy (Milan) will not be recommended by the Irish Govt.

Theres clearly a risk to anyone travelling, plus those they come in contact with. Youd be mad to take a chance.

If you think HR wont act in the interest of other employees, youd want to revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

And still our travel agent wont cancel our scheduled trip to milan on Friday and give us a refund...

And still our travel agent wont cancel our scheduled trip to milan on Friday and give us a refund...

Terrible Barney.

I’d say the Govr advices are only in the process of being issued.

You can’t go surely?

No we're not going.
    Aer Lingus will let us push the flights out by 30 days but the thoughts of air travel anywhere doesn't appeal at all right now.

No we're not going.
    Aer Lingus will let us push the flights out by 30 days but the thoughts of air travel anywhere doesn't appeal at all right now.

I've usually 3 holidays booked by now and I've none. I had almost pressed go on a very expensive trip to Japan. I missed out on booking by say a day or so.

Even if you went, just to not waste the flights, the place would be bloody miserable, so you'd probably be throwing good money after bad.

With the second case in Ireland from Northern Italy, Lombardy (Milan) will not be recommended by the Irish Govt.

Theres clearly a risk to anyone travelling, plus those they come in contact with. Youd be mad to take a chance.

If you think HR wont act in the interest of other employees, youd want to revisit it.

I wonder if the Italians will travel to Ireland for the match this weekend. The match is off but they probably had flights and accommodation booked and were looking forward to the weekend away. When they see Ireland only has 2 cases they’ll probably think “shur I’m safer in Ireland than here in Italy”.

5000 were booked to come but I wonder how many will come anyway. Italian rugby is mostly a northern Italy sport. Ireland could be riddled by the time they leave. Such is the half arsed approach to dealing with the virus.

Even if you went, just to not waste the flights, the place would be bloody miserable, so you'd probably be throwing good money after bad.

Fully agree, I'd say Milan is like a ghost town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Right.6 cases here now.is everyone still going to travel?i have about 12 days to make a decision :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Right.6 cases here now.is everyone still going to travel?i have about 12 days to make a decision :(
    Where are you meant to be going?
    I was meant to be going with aerlingus to lake Garda via Verona.
    Hotel have let me use hotel as credit anytime til the end of next year.
    Aerlingus no refund yet but expecting the flights to be cancelled closer to the time

• Advertisement

You'd be imagining very much wrong then...letter today from HR cancelling business travel and stating people who travel to certain regions on a personal basis (including Northern Italy) should not return to the office within 14 days of landing back in Ireland as a precaution.

I dont think I will be the only person in an office environment getting this type of communication.

I'd say the same would apply to your children returning from Milan as well from a school point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

gmisk wrote: »
    Aerlingus no refund yet but expecting the flights to be cancelled closer to the time

Going to Lake Garda also. Do you mind me asking when were you due to go?

You'd be imagining very much wrong then...letter today from HR cancelling business travel and stating people who travel to certain regions on a personal basis (including Northern Italy) should not return to the office within 14 days of landing back in Ireland as a precaution.

I dont think I will be the only person in an office environment getting this type of communication.

I'd say the same would apply to your children returning from Milan as well from a school point of view.

Well I'm self-employed so that doesn't really apply to me.

But to be honest I'd be delighted with that. Head on my holidays and then get two further weeks off to "self-isolate". I'd bring the family on a second holiday while work paid me. Win-win.

Update: Trip cancelled and full refund given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

gmisk wrote: »

Prague.only 8 cases there but ill be divorced if i bring it back.
    Ill only loose flight money unless dfa step in.but i want to go damn it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm due to travel to France in a couple of weeks but I'm considering cancelling as my husband has a compromised immune system - it involves ferry travel. I just wish there was some clarity so I won't lose the ferry fare costs or at least a percentage of them if I move the booking. Also it crossed my mind that maybe most people won't travel so it could be a really empty sailing - and the prospect of smaller queues in the port etc is quite tempting and then once we follow the guidelines we may have the same chance of catching it at home as away?

• Advertisement

Well I'm self-employed so that doesn't really apply to me.

But to be honest I'd be delighted with that. Head on my holidays and then get two further weeks off to "self-isolate". I'd bring the family on a second holiday while work paid me. Win-win.

So that's why you did not get why HR would take employees concerns seriously.

If you are self employed though and work with or engage with the public in any way, it is unfair to mix with people without informing them of the facts and letting them make their own decision about their health.

Same with children. Taking someone on a weekend for the sake of it and then leaving them for 2 weeks out of lessons would not really be seen as a win win for most people.

Update: Trip cancelled and full refund given!

Delighted for you! Fair play for pushing it.

Did anyone see many Italians around dublin over the weekend? The ones who had booked flights accommodation for the rugby match and decided to for the holiday to Dublin even though the rugby match was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Packing for New York on Thursday with little-to-no excitement. Have no real gut feeling on whether we should go or not.

Packing for New York on Thursday with little-to-no excitement. Have no real gut feeling on whether we should go or not.

There is no restriction on travel so lots of goods and people are moving around. If there is no restriction then just go and enjoy yourself. There is a case within 2km of me at the moment. I don't worry about that one so I wouldn't worry about a case in new York either.

I'm away to eastern Europe on Thursday for a long weekend. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Did you go?

Paddy, would like to remind you of your sneering about people expressing concerns to HR on people returning from high risk regions such as you and your family travelling to (Milan) Northern Italy for Paddys Weekend.

Paddy, would like to remind you of your sneering about people expressing concerns to HR on people returning from high risk regions such as you and your family travelling to (Milan) Northern Italy for Paddys Weekend.

Well my flights were cancelled unfortunately. Insurance covered most of it.

It's actually worked out better for me as I left for Cheltenham yesterday afternoon (without the wife Nd kids). I'm feeling lucky today so I hope to make back any money lost on the nags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭boetstark

It's actually worked out better for me as I left for Cheltenham yesterday afternoon (without the wife Nd kids). I'm feeling lucky today so I hope to make back any money lost on the nags.

One horrible specimen 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Sorry that sounds so selfish. What has happened to basic cop on. We all have a social and moral responsibility over this

It's at times of crisis that people really show their true colours.

Unfortunately, there are some people with lack of common decency and recklessness among us, but they out themselves, as is the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Such BS.

So for those taking holidays in late May early June- do you holiday in Ireland and get the virus or holiday abroad and get the virus?
    Alternative is back garden - but I don’t see how holidaying in Ireland around this time period will be any different than elsewhere in Europe say. We’ll all have high levels of deaths and infections at that stage and will likely be over the worst hopefully - any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Due to land in NYC in around 3 hours. Plane is packed to the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,515 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am not, too risky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Back garden and bbq looking good this year. Just need to buy an awning in case it rains. Oh and a heater of sorts. Be grand.

No way would I book anything abroad right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

myself the wife and three kids were due to travel to Dublin this evening from Denmark to attend a wedding on Sunday and spend the rest of next week enjoying the st Patricks day festivities. As i had been sent home from work Thursday because of the "virus" with pay for two weeks we decided not to travel,I think we did the right thing as now The Danish Authorities have issued travel restrictions to everywhere from today. lost some money,kids are pissed off
    but we will try make the best of it and not put ourselves or others at risk.

take care of yourselves

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Meant to travel to Norway on June 30th - from Barcelona .... not sure if it will go ahead or not, they are saying this virus will peak around June ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Supposed to be going to NYC in May and have made my peace with the fact that it probably won’t be happening. I have excellent travel insurance but America is not the kind of place I’d like to get stuck being sick with something like that so unless there’s a drastic change of circumstances, I won’t be going.
    Gutted but there will be plenty of other holidays in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Just cancelled my days off for a trip to Germany in mid-April, was suppose to be taking part in a race there but that got cancelled around a week back but was still half thinking of going to visit friends. Finally accepted the inevitable today but not a big deal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Was meant to be in Santa Clara next monday / tuesday but the event was moved to may 5th/6th (now that they have stopped any events over 50 for next 8 weeks that wont go ahead which means my trip to chicago in 11th& 12th May will not be going ahead either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I work at the airport today was pretty busy americans all trying to get home.
    It's been quiet during the week the London all flights about half empty.
    Meant to travel to London early April cancelled it as I don't like how UK are handling the coronavirus outbreak . There's a high probably a chance I'll pick it up there , stuck there or end up on isolation coming back.
    Luckily the airline have vouchers to use on another flight at another time so won't lose out.
    It was only one way I had booked so far not yet booked the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

According to RTE just now "Irish holidaymakers who are currently in Spain, or the Balearic or Canary Islands, are being advised to travel home by midnight on Thursday". Whats so significant about midnight Thursday I'm wondering. Airport going to shut down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

According to RTE just now "Irish holidaymakers who are currently in Spain, or the Balearic or Canary Islands, are being advised to travel home by midnight on Thursday". Whats so significant about midnight Thursday I'm wondering. Airport going to shut down?

I think it's due to airlines shutting a lot of the routes down come midnight Thursday. Could be wrong though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement