Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I Just don't think Browne does enough against top teams, he won't pick up a man (not a lot of midfielders do it's part of the role to roam) he can totally drift out of games and get bypassed. And his accuracy when shooting can be poor and has a habit of big wind ups and get hooked and tuned over

He gives 100% and I'm not trying to knock him, the new style will suit him perfectly and maybe he will respond when it really matters in the summer, I really hope so, he has scope for improvement and should be well capable of achieving it. There's times when he'll come up against Jamie Barron and daithi burke where he has to take on responsibility and take on these physically when needed as they are the main players on their teams

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I don't know, I think Browne is a great player and has been very good for us. I doubt there's many players that cover as much ground as him. He's not a showy player but he puts in a huge amount of tackles and gets on the ball a lot. He used not be great to shoot but I remember he had an awful wide against tipp in 2013 when dodge gave him a pass in loads of space and it looked to me like he worked hard on shooting after that as it improved significantly. I'd trust him to take on a shot now and he always seems to chip in a score. I don't see him being turned over in possession a lot either, he's tidy with the ball.

A concern would be having him and Lynch at midfield being blown out of it by a more physical pairing, especially if O'Donovan is to be at half forward and also operating around midfield. But lynch is big and physical enough now and Browne has always held his own so far.

I think William O'Donoghue has a chance of coming in here, he'd add a bit more power and Lynch could operate at wing forward. Not sure is WOD's hurling sharp enough for the likes of Galway but would be good to see him get some game time in the league matches remaining when the na p lads rejoin the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Does anyone know what is going on regarding the Limerick Senior Footballers. They are bottom of Division 4 after 4 matches. As a Clare man I hope that things will improve for ye. The days when you were one of the top teams in Ireland under Liam Kearns in the early naughties where some of the football played was outstanding, seemed not so long ago. I believe that the hard work that the Limerick football academy are doing underage will play dividends in time under the stewardship of Paul Kinnerk.

Back to the present, it is clear looking at the team sheets that the best players are not committing to the Limerick senior football panel. Is it because of the management led by Billy Lee? In Clare we have the same problem also re players not committing. The main focus for Limerick is for the best players whether it will be underage or senior committing to Limerick Football. In Clare our development squads are under-funded and under-resourced so it shouldn't take long before Limerick can overtake Clare in relation to underage success over their near neighbours.

Finally speaking of underage I am curious to know about how the Limerick Under-17 footballers are getting on ahead of their opening Munster Championship match against Clare in Ennis in April. I know that Niall Crowley is the manager of the team and Pa Ranahan is part of the backroom team, so you should be at least competitive and will be well prepared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

^^ I heard on the radio that 42 players have left the panel over the last 2/3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Considering the importance of the Galway game bit disappointed with the posts here. With what we've named wouldn't have backed us but Galway have a few missing too so 50/50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lim4ev wrote: »
    Considering the importance of the Galway game bit disappointed with the posts here. With what we've named wouldn't have backed us but Galway have a few missing too so 50/50?

fireball was an excellent poster on here for years , think he has gone abroad ,

expect ye to finally make the jump to division 1A tomorrow ye are on to something with the current set of players ye have ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

lim4ev wrote: »

More or less 50-50 yes, probably won't be much in it. Galway have been coming along slowly in this league campaign, winning without ever needing to be anywhere near full throttle. Limerick have probably been going the bit better of the two. However Galway will be looking to up it a gear in this one as Limerick are significantly better than what we've faced up to now, and Michael Donoghue has stated that he's looking forward to a bit of championship intensity in this one.

Both teams a bit understrength although Galway will be starting with 10 players who featured in the All-Ireland final so it's still a fairly strong lineup. Overall I think promotion would probably mean that bit more to Limerick at the moment, and on the basis of that greater hunger I think Limerick might shade this one. Should be a good game though.

Will take a very competitive match. Our forwards lack experience but have some bench options 50:50

The Galway full forward line is incredibly strong if we can hold them to 50-50 we'd have a right chance I feel. Just feel with the lads we're missing which are all forwards will we be able to score enough to win?

• Advertisement

Mccallister has been a disgrace so far

Disgraceful from tuohy 3 month ban not a ****ing yellow card

Do I need to elaborate any further? 1 wide and dispossessed 3 times

Brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Did not see that comeback at half-time, fabulous stuff.

Well done to John kiely and backroom unbeaten this year in very trying circumstances. He's improved every aspect of our game. Hopefully there's more to come

Clare result matters not a jot just working on shooting etc

• Advertisement

Well done to John kiely and backroom unbeaten this year in very trying circumstances. He's improved every aspect of our game. Hopefully there's more to come

well done on the promotion lads , division 1B is a disaster of a division and its long over due ye made the jump , to do it without the na pairsaigh lads is impressive to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

well the objective for this year has been achived, anything extra is a bonus, next year we sup at the top table, kielys detacters are shown up, those of us who had faith have been vindicated, then one swallow etc

clare will fear us more than we will fear them

lots to work on, in the second half how many times had we three player plus a ball carrier, then gave away possesion, the ref did not help us in the 2nd half either

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

had my ears peeled to radio thought we had let it slip by half time but full credit to all the lads great result
    very well done hope we push on from here.
    i know tis early days but dodge kept saying how fit he felt we were so credit to john and the backroom staff long over due
    cant wipe the smille of my face
    limerick abu great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Delighted not only for the win, but for the circumstances. To mount such a serious push to bridge a large deficit shows real strength of character. With na piarsiagh to join the fray later in the year I really hope Limerick can do something special.

Munster will be brutal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Was the first half a reflection of being stuck in 1b and not being up to the cut and thrust of top level hurling.
    Also were we lucky to finish the first half with 15. I thought in the scuffle one of our lafs pulled the helmet of a galway man and lynch drew across a fella. I was watching two toddlers at the time so apologies as i didnt fully see the incident clearly.
    Delighted for the lads. Its a serious commitment and they need days like this to keep the heads right.

Firstly congrats on a great win I hate criticising refs but thought he rode us which makes the win even more impressive first half we were brutal but second were a revelation how tight is Finn the big bonus for me was Flanagan and Murphy but esp Flanagan we really have a mobile option to dowling now.

How many nap players would ye expect to get in to the team now? I'd still prefer if hickey was at half back tough on morrissey I know but think hickey is better.

I'm thrilled to bits for the moment though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mccallister has been a disgrace so far

I commented here after the Corofin player debacle that any referee can be unsighted and make a genuine mistake but for the two major incidents today the linesman was just metres away. last year's All-Ireland final referee Fergal Horgan was standing just metres away from the Touhy 'assault' on Murphy which was a disgrace and should be punished accordingly in the coming days. This cannot be tolerated. Why was he yellow carded.? What was the linesman watching.?
    The Burke/Byrnes clash resulted in 2 yellow cards. Burke retaliated after being caught by Byrnes trailing hurley in a 'shimozzle' which wasn't deliberate. Burke had earlier received a nasty gash himself (also accidental) but he did strike out and injure Byrnes. Was Byrnes yellow carded for defending himself from an attack by 2 players.?
    Maybe the linesman can answer..!!

washman3 wrote: »
    I commented here after the Corofin player debacle that any referee can be unsighted and make a genuine mistake but for the two major incidents today the linesman was just metres away. last year's All-Ireland final referee Fergal Horgan was standing just metres away from the Touhy 'assault' on Murphy which was a disgrace and should be punished accordingly in the coming days. This cannot be tolerated. Why was he yellow carded.? What was the linesman watching.?
    The Burke/Byrnes clash resulted in 2 yellow cards. Burke retaliated after being caught by Byrnes trailing hurley in a 'shimozzle' which wasn't deliberate. Burke had earlier received a nasty gash himself (also accidental) but he did strike out and injure Byrnes. Was Byrnes yellow carded for defending himself from an attack by 2 players.?

Agree with that. I would think the linesman missed the murphy one and gave a yellow as a get out of jail option but this one needs to be dealt with off the field

Also there is the opposite end of the spectrum where the monaghan footballer got sent off yesterday for nothing and a bit of cop on should be applied in all cases. Often the fells screaming for consistency cause these reds which are ridiculous and then obvious one's go unpunished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Watching the Sunday Game last night did anyone notice that Duignan virtually had tears in his eyes with disappointment that Galway failed to make 1A.
    Gave a dozen excuses why they were well below their best yesterday, not a single word of praise for Limerick's second half display.
    He shouldn't worry too much anyway, the format will probably be changed to an 8 team league next season, and replace probably with definitely if Cork lose the relegation play-off. Watch this space...;)

Great day today, was going to write up something about the match but can't be bothered the collective was more important than any individual performance.

We are now/have

Fitness
    Physicality
    Puck out strategy (which didn't collapse when main target went off)
    Competition for places (only 2-3 Na P players will make it back in)
    A game plan (players actually know how to link with each other and play as a unit, when's the last time that happened at senior?)
    Above all else Hunger, passion, attitude, determination which has been solely eroded the last few years
    Add in a little belief that this will bring and we'll have a good year regardless of results

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Watching the Sunday Game last night did anyone notice that Duignan virtually had tears in his eyes with disappointment that Galway failed to make 1A.
    Gave a dozen excuses why they were well below their best yesterday, not a single word of praise for Limerick's second half display.
    He shouldn't worry too much anyway, the format will probably be changed to an 8 team league next season, and replace probably with definitely if Cork lose the relegation play-off. Watch this space...;)

an 8 team league would almost guarantee no club games in April, not that that matters to anyone. IMO the whole "Keep april free for clubs" was the trojan horse to push the round-robin provincials through congress.

To have an extra 2 games per team and be done with the league by the end of march we'd nearly want to be starting in Janruary.. can you imagine it...

In fairness to Diagnan he didn't shy away from criticising the shocking attack Adrian Touhy made on Murphy.. so even though he has leinster tinted glasses, at the very least he can recognise thuggary even when it comes from one of his darling teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Aravo

Well done to Limerick. They have been long enough in 1B. Should have gone up a few years back only to be shafted by Cork. Best situation would be 2 up 2 down. Top team up, then either next team up or playoff between 2&3. 1 team in 1B down with playoff for the other. Not really that fair that there is a playoff for the drop from 1A. Why not a straight drop as there is a straight up from 1B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not sure where that's coming from? Duignan singled out AdrianTouhy for his nasty strike on Barry Murphy, other than that he called the game more or less as it was. Great result for Limerick and well deserved having struggled to get out of 1B over the last few years. Where Galway are really at we won't know for a while yet.

But well done to Limerick, I said in an earlier post on this thread that Limerick's extra bit of hunger for this one might get them over the line, and that's pretty much how it played out. It's not taking anything away from Limerick's win to say that Galway aren't at their best, Limerick had a game to win and they did it so well done to them. Galway weren't exactly going out to lose and we fielded a fairly strong team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

I been saying it for along time now. Fergal Horgan is a deplorable referee. So much so that I believe it is dangerous having him referee matches.

There is zero consistency to his refereeing. Some players get frustrated been fouled all the time while those doing the fouling get away with more and more.

He has given some of the worst refereeing performances I have ever witnessed and there have been a lot of poor ones over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I think both those incidents would have been dealt with properly if Fergal Horgan was the ref. He advised the ref what to do. Cathal McAllister was omitted from the championship panel 2 years ago I think so there must have been a reason for that, presumably assessors reports. Diarmuid Kirwan denied Limerick a clear penalty vs wexford in the league last year so his judgement on what is or isnt a foul is open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I thought Mcallister was very poor and not just for us. He has this tendancy to just laugh and snile at players when they question him. I dont like him as he goes from letting everything go to blowing for everything. not up to the required standard. I wouldnt fault horgan for not see the low blow to murphy as he may have been unsighted. As for Mr kirwan......he has been doing us for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone need a couple of free tickets for all Ireland club final? PM me.

Delighted with the win on Sunday, first half wides were very worrying as it's a long standing problem. Hope that na Piarsaigh can get across the line on Saturday, the Cuala side is very strong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Thought Piarsaigh were hard done by with that 21 yard free.
    Can feel a little aggrieved imo.

While David Dempsey had a big influence in last 10 mins of regulation time and extra time, Kevin Downes was my MOTM.
    Having said that Casey did some job on O Callaghan.

They'll need more from Dowling and Lynch the next day but the 2 lads back will be a big help.

Thought Piarsaigh were hard done by with that 21 yard free.
    Can feel a little aggrieved imo.

While David Dempsey had a big influence in last 10 mins of regulation time and extra time, Kevin Downes was my MOTM.
    Having said that Casey did some job on O Callaghan.

They'll need more from Dowling and Lynch the next day but the 2 lads back will be a big help.

I don't think the ref assessors will be happy with the ref yesterday but Na Piarsaigh had chances to win out yesterday and couldn't put them away. Was absolutely baltic at the game, and the wind on the day was difficult to play into from what I could tell.

Ideally the replay will be played closer to Limerick (unlikely I know).

Madness

The wides were shocking, but a wins a win

Someone would want to take pat ryan aside and have a word with him on the dynamics of a game and when to take a fec*ing point - (good goal mind)

Corner backs had a tougher day today plenty to work on

Luimneach abu

Madness

The wides were shocking, but a wins a win

Someone would want to take pat ryan aside and have a word with him on the dynamics of a game and when to take a fec*ing point - (good goal mind)

Corner backs had a tougher day today plenty to work on

Luimneach abu

Age old problem for Limerick, was it 22 wides in the end? A crazy number when you reflect that most of them must presumably be a better scoring chance ultimately forgone.

• Advertisement

well done today lads fantastic game , ye are putting together a really decent team with an excellent manager , but to slightly spoil the party:p ye hit by my count 24 wides today 20 From Play , once ye steady yourselves in front of goal ye will start pulling up some big trees , i reckon ye have the momentum to win the league but the wides tally needs to drop for a serious all ireland challenge ,

at this stage i can only see 2 na pairsaigh players coming back into the team after the club championship in casey and dowling , i dont think there is room for anyone else at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

at this stage i can only see 2 na pairsaigh players coming back into the team after the club championship in casey and dowling , i dont think there is room for anyone else at the moment

Can't see it either. But who would you take from yesterday and swap with them? Hegarty, Murphy maybe..
    Very hard that na piarsaigh game went to a draw. It'll be difficult to join a team on such form who've been playing together like this for the past months. Not sure if it's a blessing or a curse! Same as playing (probably, although Ill put my hands up if I'm wrong when Dublin win) Tipp next Sunday week. Considering we have them in first round of championship..

Thought Richie mc gave a valiant effort when he came on, don't know about hickey at FB. Always thought he was more suited to half back line and given the freedom of driving up the pitch as he always did. Wonder would Mike casey ever be an option or is it just too soon pre championship..

Don't really care about wide count. That can be rectified, even though we've been saying that for the last few years. It'll be clare that'd be sickened to not have beat us with 22 wides. Great to finally get out the other end of narrow victories for once. Just shows where the teams mentality and fitness is at present particularly against a clare team known for their stamina and ability to finish out games like this . Even if it did end with a free taking competition..

Hopefully they'll start getting the support they deserve now, the attendance at a home game yesterday particularly after beating Galway last week was abysmal, I thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

well done today lads fantastic game , ye are putting together a really decent team with an excellent manager , but to slightly spoil the party:p ye hit by my count 24 wides today 20 From Play , once ye steady yourselves in front of goal ye will start pulling up some big trees , i reckon ye have the momentum to win the league but the wides tally needs to drop for a serious all ireland challenge ,

Which one? I think you could make a case for either but I'll presume it's Peter you are talking about. I also wouldn't be too sure about Dowling coming back onto the team: panel yes but not sure about a starting spot. Delighted with the past two performances for sure from the lads. I have to say however that watching Tony Kelly in full flight and looking very fit was a treat and himself and Cian Lynch were worth the entrance fee alone.

Peter Casey is a cert to start. Dowling should start if fully fit but he isn't long back after knee surgery still and it might be a couple games before he starts. I think Mike Casey is a better corner back than English, though it would be harsh to drop English. Downes is back playing well after a rotten run of injuries and still improving and could force his way in, O'Donoghue is a possibility and David Dempsey is a favourite of Kiely's. There could be quite a bit of change between the 15 for our first outing and our best 15 by the end of our summer.

Are the Na P boys going to get any break? All Ireland final to club matches to the most intense AI championship ever?

I'd still like to see one of hegarty/hayes at wing back, we need to lord it there not just be ok.

Hickey is not a FB, think Richie M/Casey better options but what do we know compared to JK and the team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are the Na P boys going to get any break? All Ireland final to club matches to the most intense AI championship ever?

Looks like the club final replay has been set for Portlaoise this Saturday at 17:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Very positive attitude on show yesterday, wins must be building confidenc, plus I think this group is one the supporters will get behind there's a bit of stubbornness about them that Limerick supporters relate to, its early in the year, for me signs are positive.
    Na Piarsaigh were excellent and should have won the first time out, the frees (Treacy was top class) saved Cuala. If NaP they can summon up the same attitude they'll be my favorites to win the replay.

yeah was on about peter , i haven't seen too much of mike at senior inter county but he had a great game saturday in the all ireland club, its great having the extra players coming back while still in the cut and trust of the league

yeah was on about peter , i haven't seen too much of mike at senior inter county but he had a great game saturday in the all ireland club, its great having the extra players coming back while still in the cut and trust of the league

Finn and Casey were our starting corner backs last year.

Finn and Casey were our starting corner backs last year.

They were but wasn't English injured? I think I'd like to see either r Mac or casey at 3 and move hickey to 7 another option is hego at 7 I feel we have way more options in the forwards than we have in the half back line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement