Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rescue Centres Closed. Where to get a pup?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'll address a couple of things you bring up in your post, but not all of them because...well... I haven't got all day :o
    However, I do think your post is unfair to most rescues. Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of how rescues are run, and particularly that most animal rescues are run entirely on a voluntary basis... volunteers who have families and jobs and their own things to do too, and are under just as much pressure as anyone else in these pressurised times.
    What I will address is your comments about rescues not being open at this time.
    Let's say they were deemed an essential service, as you've suggested, but let's also assume that no good rescue will be willing to compromise on their own cornerstones that protect both them, the dogs they rehome, and the adopters.

One of those cornerstones is that prospective homes are pre-vetted, including seeing where the dog will live, sleep, and how each family member feels about adopting a dog, as well as checking the security of the garden. In these times where there's a global pandemic, and all the constraints that involves, would I be happy to ask a volunteer to go into a stranger's house, or indeed to ask a family to invite a stranger into their home so that the home visit can be carried out? No.
    Would I waive the need for a home visit? No. Never.

Dogs being surrendered have to be collected, and transported to a kennels or a foster home. At the other end of the process, dogs need to be transported from the kennels or foster home. This means people have to handle the dogs, and meet up with strangers to do the exchange. It has been recommended that people do not allow their dogs to be touched by others as they can carry the virus between people on their coat, harness/collar/lead. Would I be prepared to ask volunteers, old owners or new owners to put themselves at risk doing this to-ing and fro-ing, with multiple people handling one dog? No.

Another cornerstone of a good rescue is that all dogs will be neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and health checked prior to moving to their new homes (an expensive process). More to-ing and fro-ing, but also, many vets simply aren't carrying out routine procedures. They're only providing emergency cover. Would I be prepared to ask a volunteer to transport dogs to the vet, or to rehome dogs that haven't had the necessary health-related factors carried out? No.

That'sjust a few considerations off the top of my head. So, even if rescues had been given essential service status, I think most rescues would have adopted the same approach of shutting up shop. Rescues generally don't view themselves as beholden to people who want a dog right here, right now. If anything, they'd take a dim view of people who aren't prepared to wait a while, and of people who don't seem to care that there's an army of volunteers out there whose health should not be put in peril because they want a dog and they want it now.
    Most rescues got their dogs out into foster homes before the stricter restrictions came in. The number of dogs being surrendered has tailed right off during the restrictions. So most rescues aren't under that much pressure to offload dogs in any case. Certainly, good rescues won't move dogs at any cost, nor ask their volunteers to do anything unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

While you make some valid points I think it's just a matter of opinion & I'm sure we could go back and forth all day so we'll agree to disagree! 😂 I know the stresses rescues are usually under.. Nevermind at times like these but I still think they should be open in some capacity. Also just trying to state why the OP shouldn't feel guilty for not going with a rescue. Of course its better to rescue but they're not the be all and end all!
    DBB wrote: »
    I'll address a couple of things you bring up in your post, but not all of them because...well... I haven't got all day :o
    However, I do think your post is unfair to most rescues. Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of how rescues are run, and particularly that most animal rescues are run entirely on a voluntary basis... volunteers who have families and jobs and their own things to do too, and are under just as much pressure as anyone else in these pressurised times.
    What I will address is your comments about rescues not being open at this time.
    Let's say they were deemed an essential service, as you've suggested, but let's also assume that no good rescue will be willing to compromise on their own cornerstones that protect both them, the dogs they rehome, and the adopters.

One of those cornerstones is that prospective homes are pre-vetted, including seeing where the dog will live, sleep, and how each family member feels about adopting a dog, as well as checking the security of the garden. In these times where there's a global pandemic, and all the constraints that involves, would I be happy to ask a volunteer to go into a stranger's house, or indeed to ask a family to invite a stranger into their home so that the home visit can be carried out? No.
    Would I waive the need for a home visit? No. Never.

Dogs being surrendered have to be collected, and transported to a kennels or a foster home. At the other end of the process, dogs need to be transported from the kennels or foster home. This means people have to handle the dogs, and meet up with strangers to do the exchange. It has been recommended that people do not allow their dogs to be touched by others as they can carry the virus between people on their coat, harness/collar/lead. Would I be prepared to ask volunteers, old owners or new owners to put themselves at risk doing this to-ing and fro-ing, with multiple people handling one dog? No.

Another cornerstone of a good rescue is that all dogs will be neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and health checked prior to moving to their new homes (an expensive process). More to-ing and fro-ing, but also, many vets simply aren't carrying out routine procedures. They're only providing emergency cover. Would I be prepared to ask a volunteer to transport dogs to the vet, or to rehome dogs that haven't had the necessary health-related factors carried out? No.

That'sjust a few considerations off the top of my head. So, even if rescues had been given essential service status, I think most rescues would have adopted the same approach of shutting up shop. Rescues generally don't view themselves as beholden to people who want a dog right here, right now. If anything, they'd take a dim view of people who aren't prepared to wait a while, and of people who don't seem to care that there's an army of volunteers out there whose health should not be put in peril because they want a dog and they want it now.
    Most rescues got their dogs out into foster homes before the stricter restrictions came in. The number of dogs being surrendered has tailed right off during the restrictions. So most rescues aren't under that much pressure to offload dogs in any case. Certainly, good rescues won't move dogs at any cost, nor ask their volunteers to do anything unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

On a side note if you look up the prices of dogs on done deal ....they are crazy. 1250 for a cockapoo? Wtf. Are people really paying this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

On a side note if you look up the prices of dogs on done deal ....they are crazy. 1250 for a cockapoo? Wtf. Are people really paying this.

Definitely if they're misguided enough to look for dogs on done deal.
    I've seen online ads for 'designer bully' bullbreed mongels with anything from mastiff to pug thrown in and the prices quoted are always well into four figures and some of these poor dogs have elbows sticking out so far they look like they will fall flat on their own face any minute.
    Ironically, you could a good example of the parent breeds cheaper than the designer mongels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

i was in my local pet shop recently and the owner told me a guy put his pups on that website for 600 euro and got so many calls he took them down the next day re advertised and charged 900 and got it. wh ere will those over priced pups be when the return to work happens back in the rescues. 900 quid would help a lot of dogs in rescues. People and their money easily parted - a dog from a rescue if you are a genuine person would be about 150 watever the breed. A bit of patience and a genuine dog lover would wait and help the rescue as they will be stuffed to capacity after this when the novelty wears off worse still given away free to cream crackers to use and abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

a genuine dog lover would wait and help the rescue

Yes I hate dogs because I don't rescue :rolleyes: I'm waiting for pup from a reputable breeder who health checks their dogs.. the ones who aren't breeding right now because they're following guidelines - not the ones who are filling up pounds and rescues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

Hi all,

Multiple rescue centres have been given the go ahead by the government to begin adoption again and there are dogs ready for rehoming on their websites / pics on their social media. I have seen a rescue looking for homes for puppies too. It wasn't within their remit to rehome dogs over the last couple of months and has been tough on them with everyone deciding that they wanted a dog. I've seen the abuse people have been giving them and it is beyond belief. No doubt anyone wanting 'designer' puppies will see an abundance of them looking for homes come September if they are willing to wait!

I can see the other side of the coin as I am on it - I fostered a wee one for a few weeks and have put in an application for a rescue myself, but like most I also want a pup :) Myself and the OH have been green lighted to work from home past the pandemic which was the only thing ever holding us back from owning a dog. I cannot wait to welcome one into the home. Unfortunately most centres are miles away so I know I'll just have to keep waiting :(

Good luck to everyone with a new pup / dog, bought or not as long as you give them a good loving home that's the important part.

Advertisement