Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue Centres Closed. Where to get a pup?

Options
2»

Comments

tk123 wrote: »
    Is this is actually a thing though? I wonder is this just something rescues say - 99% of people I've met who've rescued a gun dog have been told by rescue that the dog is gun shy when it was spooky/hyper, or not soft mouthed enough when it was chewing the house down.... but how does a rescue know this when so may dogs have no history coming into a rescue? :confused:

They want to pull at your heartstrings. Can’t beat a sob story.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

volchitsa wrote: »
    Gorgeous pups, Springwell. I love Springers.

I have am question about that: do you not occasionally get pups that just can't hack it as gun dogs though? Afraid of the noise etc.

Or is that a problem with pups from certain dogs only, like a genetic tare?
    Because my (very limited) understanding about dogs bred for hunting is that it happens fairly regularly, but I've no idea whether it's random or traceable through gene lines.

Or maybe it's always down to poor training techniques by the owner? I've heard you can get sheepdogs that end up being bullied by the sheep if they're put to work too young/in the wrong conditions!

No gundog is born gunshy, poor and rushed training makes them gunshy. I've never had or bred a gunshy dog, I have had one in via the rescue I help with.

It's the default op-out sob story for rescues and it really annoys me, it makes people who own gundogs sound like uncaring prats who dump dogs. The reality is this is a very very small proportion of working dog owners, similar to the proportion of pet owners who dump their dog because "they've no time", "my child is allergic" etc.

tk123 wrote: »
    Is this is actually a thing though? I wonder is this just something rescues say - 99% of people I've met who've rescued a gun dog have been told by rescue that the dog is gun shy when it was spooky/hyper, or not soft mouthed enough when it was chewing the house down.... but how does a rescue know this when so may dogs have no history coming into a rescue? :confused:

They don't, it's a nice sob story though to get adopters. Very few rescues assess dogs to work - we do and will rehome workers to working homes and also have dogs working with police and customs now. Not all dogs make great pets - the detection dogs tend to be madly high drive which makes them great at their job, all they want is a find to get their tennis ball reward

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Springwell wrote: »
    They don't, it's a nice sob story though to get adopters. Very few rescues assess dogs to work - we do and will rehome workers to working homes and also have dogs working with police and customs now. Not all dogs make great pets - the detection dogs tend to be madly high drive which makes them great at their job, all they want is a find to get their tennis ball reward

I'd say it's a story lots of people tell when they dump a dog too. "It's not suitable for working" is probably a better sounding story than, "I can't be bothered anymore" or "I thought I wanted a high-drive dog but didn't".

I have a foster right now who had a 2 pages of reasons given for why she was returned. I've experienced exactly zero of them (though she has a few pages of other problems). If you adopted from a rescue and they hadn't used a foster home, they'd likely give those reasons to the new owner. The rescue might not be creating a sob story - I find it more likely that people surrendering the dog aren't being exactly forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

cocker5 wrote: »
    Working gun dogs? Not suitable as pets?

I adopted a ex working gundog 11 weeks ago who was dumped Offaly pound then a rescue centre saved him and he’s most definitely a pet .. loves his comforts ... took him a week or two to settle and not to think everyone was out to hurt him but now he’s an amazing dog and I can only imagine how more he’ll progress over the coming months!

A springer .. wouldn’t be without him!
    Same here but bought from a private seller, the poor thing was mal nourished , he loves his new home, mad as a hatter though, anytime I appear with the sweeping brush, he runs for the hills, poor thing obviously saw it being used for a purpose other than sweeping the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

While these stories are all very nice, its not helping the OP, can we try to get back on topic please.

Thanks,
    CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Rather than rescue centres, have you tried your local pound? Or the ones in the counties around you? And looking in this particular group may not be the most productive: unexpected litters might be better searched for in your local area - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Ok, back on topic as per the mod, I was listening to newstalk on way to work this morn and the topic of buying dogs was on just as I tuned in, they had someone on from a rescue centre and she advised against purchasing a dog and is of the opinion the rescue centres will be inundated with dogs come September, she made the suggestion of fostering a dog, I know someone who does this on a continuous basis, might have a dog for two weeks, maybe longer, then fosters another when the time suits, this is a wonderful way of getting to know different breeds and also gives you a good understanding of the time and commitment required. You maybe able to find this piece on the podcast,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

august12 wrote: »
    Ok, back on topic as per the mod, I was listening to newstalk on way to work this morn and the topic of buying dogs was on just as I tuned in, they had someone on from a rescue centre and she advised against purchasing a dog and is of the opinion the rescue centres will be inundated with dogs come September, she made the suggestion of fostering a dog, I know someone who does this on a continuous basis, might have a dog for two weeks, maybe longer, then fosters another when the time suits, this is a wonderful way of getting to know different breeds and also gives you a good understanding of the time and commitment required. You maybe able to find this piece on the podcast,

I've been looking to foster a dog but haven't been getting any responses from anyone I contacted. Have they stopped fostering during this Corona Virus pandemic?

Try contacting smaller rescues - but again, travelling to collect a dog is not essential travel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Try contacting smaller rescues - but again, travelling to collect a dog is not essential travel...

it is for thendog. especially if they are still killing them in pounds. And if rescues have closed their doors to taking new ones in - as many state they have.

OP have tou had any more thoughts since we beseiged you with information!? : ) I see a few new litter of retrievers on a well known website that cannot be named. Males and females. I always think females are easier. Less wee-ing in everything they see - bit like men.

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've been looking to foster a dog but haven't been getting any responses from anyone I contacted. Have they stopped fostering during this Corona Virus pandemic?
    I don't know , I'm not sure if Newstalk do a podcast of their morning show, might be worth listening to it if they do, I tuned out at the end and missed if any info re contact details were given re fostering during these weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Personally I’d say wait ... listen everyone is panicking.. doing crazy things including offering fostering / adopting of dogs .. reality is it’s a 15 year commitment.. honestly I’m not sure all this type of reaction is the best for the dog ...

Dogs / cats needs commitment, time (not covid time) , patience and love and while people may think giving a dog a home now under extreme circumstances is a good thing but in reality what happens when life goes back to normal????

What’s happens to all these dogs?

Wait Op wait until rescues open up again and choose a dog for your when it goes back to normal... not now

Chocolate wrote: »
    Now that we're home for the foreseeable future, we've decided we can invest the time into training a puppy.
    We are a family of two adults and three children (aged 10-13). Ideally, we'd like a small dog. We have a secure garden.

The problem is all the rescue centres around us seem to be closed. We submitted a questionnaire online to <snip>and did a phone interview. We have passed their criteria to get a puppy but they have none available and they said to call back in 2 or 3 weeks and they might have something.

However, I feel that would be valuable time lost and I'm now wondering should we go privately. I have no idea how to find a reputable place.

I looked up the Irish Kennel Club but it seems you need to know the breed you want in advance. There are so many options. It's a bit mind boggling.

I've looked on dogs.ie and while most of the pups I looked at seemed to be IKC registered and vaccinated, the ones I liked the look of weren't so I'm wondering does that mean they're likely to be from a puppy farm.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm not trying to turn you off getting a pet at some stage but maybe not now. This is a good read.

People advised to 'think twice' before getting new pet during time of social distancing https://jrnl.ie/5060039

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Chocolate

OP have tou had any more thoughts since we beseiged you with information!? : ) I see a few new litter of retrievers on a well known website that cannot be named. Males and females. I always think females are easier. Less wee-ing in everything they see - bit like men.

Yes, I've spent a lot of time since scouring websites, learning more as I go along.

Meanwhile the nearby pounds are shut. I feel that, unfortunately we have missed the boat on getting a pup during this time.

I'm not aware of the well known website that cannot be named - maybe you could send a PM.

As far as I can tell though, and I'm open to correction, we wouldn't be able to get veterinary care for a puppy during these more stringent restrictions.

Waiting until things have returned to normal is what I'm hearing from people and I understand where they are coming from.

This was something we'd been considering for a number of months so it wasn't a sudden decision.
    I just thought it was a good time to allow us to train a pup.

So, we're disappointed that we potentially have to wait a long time but hey, there are a whole lot of more serious things going on out there at the moment.

Chocolate wrote: »
    As far as I can tell though, and I'm open to correction, we wouldn't be able to get veterinary care for a puppy during these more stringent restrictions.

First vaccinations and emergencies only - vet staff have to minimize their contact and use of PPE too

First vaccinations and emergencies only - vet staff have to minimize their contact and use of PPE too

My local vets - two of them - were open for all kinds of things up to a day or two ago - by that I mean spaying and general vets visits and kennel cough shots. May have changed now since yesterday of course.

What is the name or website address of your gundog rescue please? And if anyone can remember the timing and distance between the two sets of vacs - I can’t remember myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi op, when the rescues were all closed a couple of weeks ago we got a new puppy from a woman on said well known ad website, all above board, had the worming/vaccinations done, not a back door/illegal puppy farm lol.

yes we 'bought' him instead of rescuing him, but i dont see anything wrong with that when there's no facility at the moment to rescue a pup/dog.

fab -picture please!!!! whatcha choose to love & torment ya forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

It's beyond me why rescue centres/pounds etc are not classed as essential when pet shops etc are. Sure...theres a corona risk. But every single other person out working runs the same risk. Sure. Some people might make a rash decision to take on an animal they won't look after for the rest of their life... But there are also PLENTY of people who want a dog/pet but have held off due to not being home for a few weeks to get it settled/house train it etc. The rescues are CRYING out for people to help and rescue/adopt but yet it seems increasingly difficult to do so. Obviously rescues need to have standards/rules to make sure the animal is going to a good home but something needs to be done for people and rescues to meet in the middle about this kinda thing. Why does every rescue not legally have to have someone updating their rescues page EVERY DAY and replying to enquiries? It's impossible to even get a response from some of them at the best of times and 9/10 times they don't update their pages regularly with who's in and who's out. Even a website in which every rescue had to register the animals on to.. So if you're looking to give one their forever home it's easily accessible, regularly updated etc. I'm a massive animal lover and think a lot of rescues work so hard to do good, however, I think it's a shame they're not open at the moment. And I also think the restrictions (while some are obvs needed) need to be lightened a but in some areas re adopting/rehoming. My friend has had dogs for years..lives on a farm.. Had to get a dog off donedeal cause no rescue around would rehome a dog to them as they lived on a farm. My brother was looking to rehome one... He can't. As he has kids under 10. Not even a puppy. We moved out ourselves to a big old farm. I messaged one particular rescue just to enquire and let them know we had lots of space and I had experience with horses if they had any in need of a good place to recuperate or live out their days. I was told it would be at LEAST 300 euro as I'd have to get two. Along with another 200 at LEAST for insurance... That's 500 euro I would be out of pocket just to give some poor animals a home. And that's without adding on the food, bedding, vet trips, farrier costs etc. Yes, the rescues need to make their money somehow but it's a shame these animals are not made more accessible. Surely the animals welfare should come above all else. Of course rescues do great things and are fantastic at times but they're not perfect! A few years ago I had to rehome my staffy mix due to circumstances outside my control. It breaks my heart to this day. I tried everywhere to find her a loving home and ended up calling a well known rescue. I was crying my eyes out down the phone at the thoughts of having to part with my best friend.. The friendliest, most loving girl.. and the "rescues" response? "Maybe you should euthanise her as there's lots of bully breeds left stuck in rescues"... Literally gobsmacked. Apologies for the rant but while I'd try rescue.. If you can't it's not the be all and end all. There are plenty of dogs out there crying out for homes and help that don't come through rescues.hope you find the right little match for your family!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'll address a couple of things you bring up in your post, but not all of them because...well... I haven't got all day :o
    However, I do think your post is unfair to most rescues. Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of how rescues are run, and particularly that most animal rescues are run entirely on a voluntary basis... volunteers who have families and jobs and their own things to do too, and are under just as much pressure as anyone else in these pressurised times.
    What I will address is your comments about rescues not being open at this time.
    Let's say they were deemed an essential service, as you've suggested, but let's also assume that no good rescue will be willing to compromise on their own cornerstones that protect both them, the dogs they rehome, and the adopters.

One of those cornerstones is that prospective homes are pre-vetted, including seeing where the dog will live, sleep, and how each family member feels about adopting a dog, as well as checking the security of the garden. In these times where there's a global pandemic, and all the constraints that involves, would I be happy to ask a volunteer to go into a stranger's house, or indeed to ask a family to invite a stranger into their home so that the home visit can be carried out? No.
    Would I waive the need for a home visit? No. Never.

Dogs being surrendered have to be collected, and transported to a kennels or a foster home. At the other end of the process, dogs need to be transported from the kennels or foster home. This means people have to handle the dogs, and meet up with strangers to do the exchange. It has been recommended that people do not allow their dogs to be touched by others as they can carry the virus between people on their coat, harness/collar/lead. Would I be prepared to ask volunteers, old owners or new owners to put themselves at risk doing this to-ing and fro-ing, with multiple people handling one dog? No.

Another cornerstone of a good rescue is that all dogs will be neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and health checked prior to moving to their new homes (an expensive process). More to-ing and fro-ing, but also, many vets simply aren't carrying out routine procedures. They're only providing emergency cover. Would I be prepared to ask a volunteer to transport dogs to the vet, or to rehome dogs that haven't had the necessary health-related factors carried out? No.

That'sjust a few considerations off the top of my head. So, even if rescues had been given essential service status, I think most rescues would have adopted the same approach of shutting up shop. Rescues generally don't view themselves as beholden to people who want a dog right here, right now. If anything, they'd take a dim view of people who aren't prepared to wait a while, and of people who don't seem to care that there's an army of volunteers out there whose health should not be put in peril because they want a dog and they want it now.
    Most rescues got their dogs out into foster homes before the stricter restrictions came in. The number of dogs being surrendered has tailed right off during the restrictions. So most rescues aren't under that much pressure to offload dogs in any case. Certainly, good rescues won't move dogs at any cost, nor ask their volunteers to do anything unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

While you make some valid points I think it's just a matter of opinion & I'm sure we could go back and forth all day so we'll agree to disagree! 😂 I know the stresses rescues are usually under.. Nevermind at times like these but I still think they should be open in some capacity. Also just trying to state why the OP shouldn't feel guilty for not going with a rescue. Of course its better to rescue but they're not the be all and end all!
    DBB wrote: »
    I'll address a couple of things you bring up in your post, but not all of them because...well... I haven't got all day :o
    However, I do think your post is unfair to most rescues. Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of how rescues are run, and particularly that most animal rescues are run entirely on a voluntary basis... volunteers who have families and jobs and their own things to do too, and are under just as much pressure as anyone else in these pressurised times.
    What I will address is your comments about rescues not being open at this time.
    Let's say they were deemed an essential service, as you've suggested, but let's also assume that no good rescue will be willing to compromise on their own cornerstones that protect both them, the dogs they rehome, and the adopters.

One of those cornerstones is that prospective homes are pre-vetted, including seeing where the dog will live, sleep, and how each family member feels about adopting a dog, as well as checking the security of the garden. In these times where there's a global pandemic, and all the constraints that involves, would I be happy to ask a volunteer to go into a stranger's house, or indeed to ask a family to invite a stranger into their home so that the home visit can be carried out? No.
    Would I waive the need for a home visit? No. Never.

Dogs being surrendered have to be collected, and transported to a kennels or a foster home. At the other end of the process, dogs need to be transported from the kennels or foster home. This means people have to handle the dogs, and meet up with strangers to do the exchange. It has been recommended that people do not allow their dogs to be touched by others as they can carry the virus between people on their coat, harness/collar/lead. Would I be prepared to ask volunteers, old owners or new owners to put themselves at risk doing this to-ing and fro-ing, with multiple people handling one dog? No.

Another cornerstone of a good rescue is that all dogs will be neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and health checked prior to moving to their new homes (an expensive process). More to-ing and fro-ing, but also, many vets simply aren't carrying out routine procedures. They're only providing emergency cover. Would I be prepared to ask a volunteer to transport dogs to the vet, or to rehome dogs that haven't had the necessary health-related factors carried out? No.

That'sjust a few considerations off the top of my head. So, even if rescues had been given essential service status, I think most rescues would have adopted the same approach of shutting up shop. Rescues generally don't view themselves as beholden to people who want a dog right here, right now. If anything, they'd take a dim view of people who aren't prepared to wait a while, and of people who don't seem to care that there's an army of volunteers out there whose health should not be put in peril because they want a dog and they want it now.
    Most rescues got their dogs out into foster homes before the stricter restrictions came in. The number of dogs being surrendered has tailed right off during the restrictions. So most rescues aren't under that much pressure to offload dogs in any case. Certainly, good rescues won't move dogs at any cost, nor ask their volunteers to do anything unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

On a side note if you look up the prices of dogs on done deal ....they are crazy. 1250 for a cockapoo? Wtf. Are people really paying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

On a side note if you look up the prices of dogs on done deal ....they are crazy. 1250 for a cockapoo? Wtf. Are people really paying this.

Definitely if they're misguided enough to look for dogs on done deal.
    I've seen online ads for 'designer bully' bullbreed mongels with anything from mastiff to pug thrown in and the prices quoted are always well into four figures and some of these poor dogs have elbows sticking out so far they look like they will fall flat on their own face any minute.
    Ironically, you could a good example of the parent breeds cheaper than the designer mongels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

i was in my local pet shop recently and the owner told me a guy put his pups on that website for 600 euro and got so many calls he took them down the next day re advertised and charged 900 and got it. wh ere will those over priced pups be when the return to work happens back in the rescues. 900 quid would help a lot of dogs in rescues. People and their money easily parted - a dog from a rescue if you are a genuine person would be about 150 watever the breed. A bit of patience and a genuine dog lover would wait and help the rescue as they will be stuffed to capacity after this when the novelty wears off worse still given away free to cream crackers to use and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

a genuine dog lover would wait and help the rescue

Yes I hate dogs because I don't rescue :rolleyes: I'm waiting for pup from a reputable breeder who health checks their dogs.. the ones who aren't breeding right now because they're following guidelines - not the ones who are filling up pounds and rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

Hi all,

Multiple rescue centres have been given the go ahead by the government to begin adoption again and there are dogs ready for rehoming on their websites / pics on their social media. I have seen a rescue looking for homes for puppies too. It wasn't within their remit to rehome dogs over the last couple of months and has been tough on them with everyone deciding that they wanted a dog. I've seen the abuse people have been giving them and it is beyond belief. No doubt anyone wanting 'designer' puppies will see an abundance of them looking for homes come September if they are willing to wait!

I can see the other side of the coin as I am on it - I fostered a wee one for a few weeks and have put in an application for a rescue myself, but like most I also want a pup :) Myself and the OH have been green lighted to work from home past the pandemic which was the only thing ever holding us back from owning a dog. I cannot wait to welcome one into the home. Unfortunately most centres are miles away so I know I'll just have to keep waiting :(

Good luck to everyone with a new pup / dog, bought or not as long as you give them a good loving home that's the important part.

Advertisement