Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2013, 10:07   #31
FourFourFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2010 View Post
Hmmm, I shopped a few time in Dealz and although they do have a very wide range of items from food to bathroom items etc, you really do get what you pay for. The Coke and Chocolate tasted quite different from the branded stuff, which explains the strange writing and different volumes on the packaging. Foreign markets may not be to everyone's taste. Plus the shower gel and body sprays were just vile-smelling cheap tat, which I was surprised by as I always got decent bathroom items in Lidl or Aldi. But at the end of the day, the stuff there is only 1euro50cent so if you are on a tight budget it might come in handy but if you are looking for quality as well, this isnt really the place, its a glorified tatty pound shop..
The difference in taste of coke & the chocolate is because they are manufactured in the UK. UK Coke & Cadbury's chocolate are nowhere as nice as the Irish stuff.
Advertisement
13-12-2013, 10:32   #32
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodhagan View Post
The difference in taste of coke & the chocolate is because they are manufactured in the UK. UK Coke & Cadbury's chocolate are nowhere as nice as the Irish stuff.
Or maybe, you are just use to the taste of Irish ones and people in the UK would have the opposite few.

Either way Coke and Chocolate are full of sugar, which is basically a poison which is causing the obesity epidemic and killing people, read here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/scien...ison-1.1523982

So better to cut them out of your diet anyway, you will live longer and be happier.
Thanks from:
13-12-2013, 10:39   #33

Love this shop. They have a sister shop in the Buttercrane Shopping Centre in Newry called 'Poundland'. I get Laundry gel and fabric softener for £1 and it's very nice. They're great for electronic gadgets and tablet covers. I always manage to spend at least £30 when I go there .

In the Dublin store I picked up Prue Leith's autobiography for €1.50 this week. Nice stocking filler!
13-12-2013, 11:31   #34
RobbingBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Or maybe, you are just use to the taste of Irish ones and people in the UK would have the opposite few.

Either way Coke and Chocolate are full of sugar, which is basically a poison which is causing the obesity epidemic and killing people, read here:

So better to cut them out of your diet anyway, you will live longer and be happier.
Doesn't tv contribute to the obesity epidemic equally if not more than chocolate, coke and sugar.
13-12-2013, 11:34   #35
hotbabe1992
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm, I shopped a few time in Dealz and although they do have a very wide range of items from food to bathroom items etc, you really do get what you pay for. The Coke and Chocolate tasted quite different from the branded stuff, which explains the strange writing and different volumes on the packaging. Foreign markets may not be to everyone's taste. Plus the shower gel and body sprays were just vile-smelling cheap tat, which I was surprised by as I always got decent bathroom items in Lidl or Aldi. But at the end of the day, the stuff there is only 1euro50cent so if you are on a tight budget it might come in handy but if you are looking for quality as well, this isnt really the place, its a glorified tatty pound shop..
I buy all my shower gels and body sprays there,they are the same brands as in the main well known supermarkets,they dont smell of rats piss or anything so im fine with them.

I think you maybe never tried them before and have a bit of an opinion about it before getting your nose in.

Dont be so snobbish,dont knock it till you try it is my approach.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-12-2013, 12:03   #36
partyatmygaff

Quote:

Sugar isn't "basically a poison". Fat isn't a poison. Carbs aren't a poison.

Aside from a few classes of lipids which aren't great for you in any quantity, the simple fact of the matter is that any excess food/drink is a "poison" (in some sense of the word).
(4) thanks from:
13-12-2013, 13:11   #37
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyatmygaff View Post
Aside from a few classes of lipids which aren't great for you in any quantity, the simple fact of the matter is that any excess food/drink is a "poison" (in some sense of the word).
Unfortunately it isn't just about excise. The problem is that sugar actually stops your brain from knowing that you are full, thus you over eat.

Quote:
Fructose causes obesity and metabolic syndrome by encouraging you to eat more and by clogging your cells’ energy generators, Johnson explains. “Our work also shows that sugar or fructose induces resistance to leptin,” which is the hormone the body uses to signal fullness to the brain. It also regulates how energetic we feel. Eating too much sugar, especially too quickly, eventually leads the brain to miss the “I’m full now” message.
The problem is all processed food is full of sugar, way more then people realise or is healthy.

Just as a simple example, tomato ketchup is 25% sugar!

A can of coke contains 10 sugar cubes!!

http://www.sugarstacks.com/

Non of this is healthy levels of sugar.
13-12-2013, 13:11   #38
upandcumming

Quote:

Get out of here with this shit...
13-12-2013, 13:37   #39
FourFourFM

Quote:

No I'm not just used to the taste, one tastes better than the other. That's what the discussion was about, not what's good for your health. What's the point living life if you can't treat yourself every now and again and alway try to be the healthiest thing possible.
Advertisement
13-12-2013, 16:39   #40
rubadub

Quote:
Just as a simple example, tomato ketchup is 25% sugar!
Some tomato puree with no added sugar is 18% sugar.

Quote:
A can of coke contains 10 sugar cubes!!
There is nothing unusual about coke in the slightest. Coke has the same sugar levels as apple or orange juice, grape juice is about 16% vs cokes 10.5%. Avonmore Skimmed milk is 5.5% sugar.
13-12-2013, 16:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
Some tomato puree with no added sugar is 18% sugar.

There is nothing unusual about coke in the slightest. Coke has the same sugar levels as apple or orange juice, grape juice is about 16% vs cokes 10.5%. Avonmore Skimmed milk is 5.5% sugar.
Why are two Moderators Discussing the merits of Sugar consumption on a Bargain alert thread about Dealz? There's off topic and then there's off topic. Dealz also sell a lot of weight watchers goods
13-12-2013, 18:40   #42
Burrow_Ursidae
Banned

Since Dealz moved into my town of Midleton two "convenience stores" have gone bust, and good riddance - the prices they used charge.

Dealz rules. i pop in nearly every day for a gander.

One deal which is particularly awesome is the 3 Scampi and 3 bacon fries for 1.49. Pubs charge around 1.50 for one bag.
13-12-2013, 18:56   #43
FourFourFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow_Ursidae View Post
Since Dealz moved into my town of Midleton two "convenience stores" have gone bust, and good riddance - the prices they used charge.

Dealz rules. i pop in nearly every day for a gander.

One deal which is particularly awesome is the 3 Scampi and 3 bacon fries for 1.49. Pubs charge around 1.50 for one bag.
I fooking love those
13-12-2013, 19:00   #44
hotbabe1992
Banned

Quote:
In the Dublin store I picked up Prue Leith's autobiography for €1.50 this week. Nice stocking filler!
The thing is you can actually get stocking filler material in dealz and i would say there is a better selection than the poundshops,i dont even bother with eurozone anymore or boots or whatever..

The selection of dvds and books is fantastic,got a few cd's,and books in my time,and i managed to pick up a dvd of aeon flux this week for a family member.
Thanks from:
13-12-2013, 19:09   #45
Nonoperational

Quote:

Ah stop it will you. Sugar a poison? Too much sugar is bad for you, it's most certainly not a poison. What's causing the obesity epidemic is people eating too much and not exercising. Not the occasional Coke or bar of Dairymilk.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion