Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Paybel wrote: »
    Went to the Mint Leaf Restaurant in Swords two weeks ago and found GLASS in my mouth! half way through the meal - all I got was €5 off the mealn:eek:

GREAT :mad:

Wouldn't recommend it at all!

Jaysus, that was on my list of places to try.

Their restaurant in Dunboyne, gets rave reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Have been to hogs and heifers for both food and just drinks.

Food is lovely every time we were there but agree that the service can be a bit hit and miss, for instance we had a bit of a long wait experience one sunday afternoon so the next time i just said, we go and sit at the bar, order a few drinks and wings and a burger thinking we could do it all with the barman, he said he couldnt take a food order but gave us our drinks, waited for the waitress he would send over (it was quiet enough) and then in the end the other barman (American guy, actually really sound and obliging) noticed we were waiting and took our order straight away. But over all it seems to be getting much better with every visit.

Have gone up for drinks and to listen to the great bands they have on as well, great atmosphere at the weekend! Love the craft beer aspect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Had my first visit to Ollies Place this afternoon and I was extremely impressed.
    The kids meals of cod and chips and bangers and mash were well portioned and delicious (hate to see standard burger/chicken nuggets etc). We shared a large extra firey wings to start which were very tasty. OH had the scampi, which were top notch, the batter was so light. I had the sea bass on a risotto which was delicious. We had 4 desserts and 6 soft drinks.
    I did think it was a little pricey at €99, but the food really was top class and everyone enjoyed it, so fair enough. I will definitely be going back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Had my first visit to Ollies Place this afternoon and I was extremely impressed.
    The kids meals of cod and chips and bangers and mash were well portioned and delicious (hate to see standard burger/chicken nuggets etc). We shared a large extra firey wings to start which were very tasty. OH had the scampi, which were top notch, the batter was so light. I had the sea bass on a risotto which was delicious. We had 4 desserts and 6 soft drinks.
    I did think it was a little pricey at €99, but the food really was top class and everyone enjoyed it, so fair enough. I will definitely be going back.
    Just back from there this past half hour!

I didn't eat as I'd no appetite but everyone else enjoyed their food as usual :)

They had a large wings, two steaks, a soup and a burger of some description :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Went to Hogs & Heifers on Saturday with the missus. We just popped in for lunch after visiting the shops. She skipped a starter but had some of my wings.... which were friggin delicious. She had some sort of salad wrap while I had a pulled pork bap- both came with fries.

As somewhere casual to eat it was quite nice. The wings were really tasty and we both enjoyed our main meal. With a soft drink each the bill came to roughly €30 which I felt was reasonable. I do agree with the service however, it wasn't great and it took far too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

went to kajall in malahide for sunday lunch yesterday. food was lovely and nice wine on the set lunch menu. service was a little slow and could be brushed up on but wouldnt put me off going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Further to some comments in this thread the Billy family went to Thai Gourmet in Balbriggan on Saturday evening. The food was of a very high standard IMO (despite being limited to Asian cuisine :pac:).

The portions are quite large, even the kiddie's portion was substantial. We kicked off with a starter platter for 2 persons & this was ample for all of us.

Mrs B & HB Jr II had traditional red & green curries respectively. Poor HB Jr II got more than he bargained for with the spiciness of his food. He stuck with it though. One of the waitresses copped this & even offered to get the chef to cook him another less-spicy, but he said he was fine. :)

I went for spicy beef with sweet basil & chillis & it was fantastic. The only thing missing was a fried egg (which is the way I've had similar dishes served elsewhere. HB Jr I went for crispy roast duck in a really earthy red curry. It was awesome!

Not cheap, but great value. The food was quality & the service was just fantastic - very friendly, helpful & efficient. We'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TimANDco.

Further to some comments in this thread the Billy family went to Thai Gourmet in Balbriggan on Saturday evening. The food was of a very high standard IMO (despite being limited to Asian cuisine :pac:).

The portions are quite large, even the kiddie's portion was substantial. We kicked off with a starter platter for 2 persons & this was ample for all of us.

Mrs B & HB Jr II had traditional red & green curries respectively. Poor HB Jr II got more than he bargained for with the spiciness of his food. He stuck with it though. One of the waitresses copped this & even offered to get the chef to cook him another less-spicy, but he said he was fine. :)

I went for spicy beef with sweet basil & chillis & it was fantastic. The only thing missing was a fried egg (which is the way I've had similar dishes served elsewhere. HB Jr I went for crispy roast duck in a really earthy red curry. It was awesome!

Not cheap, but great value. The food was quality & the service was just fantastic - very friendly, helpful & efficient. We'll be back.

I to have eaten there as I live right around the corner. I was honestly AMAZED at the quality of food there. I wasn't expecting much and being a chef myself i tend to have high standards. Probably some of the best thai food i've had in a LONG time. The sweet and sour shrimp is amazing as well as everything else we had(was a few weeks ago so can't quite remember)

We eat out sometimes in Kettles in Roganstown.

Went there tonight after I'd been sailing and I was ravenous.

Had an eight oz fillet steak with mash, onion rings, tomato, and a side of veg.

OH wasn't very hungry so he just had wings, and a dessert of apple pie.

The food was super, really enjoyed the meal and service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love Kettles, they do a great carvery on a Sunday.

• Advertisement

I love Kettles, they do a great carvery on a Sunday.

They are my go to place when I want carvery on a Sunday, I was out sailing today and was ready to eat the leg of a dead horse such was my hunger, but on Sundays I often go there and get the half portion and it's still huge.

It's a great place as well for sports events, there's a great camaraderie if you are there to watch the golf in particular :D

Sad to see that Pasta Pizza has closed. Another real Skerries institution gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

Sad to see that Pasta Pizza has closed. Another real Skerries institution gone. :(

what??? Love that place. What happened? Always busy. Saw a girl who worked there working in a local shop today and thought it was strange.

Mrs Billy & I went to The Brick House on the harbour in Skerries last night. We were there with The Kids around a year ago & had a great meal then.

Last night was disappointing. We were left waiting for around 15 mins for our drinks. The starter of 'spicy' wings that we shared were dry & hardly spicy. Mrs B's fish was dry & overcooked. My steak was overdone, the mushrooms were rubbery & stewed rather than fried.

To add insult to injury, the service wasn't great. Granted, when one of the owners copped that we had no drinks he chased up our order immediately.

A real pity - the surroundings are lovely. We had a window table overlooking the harbour & had all been good I would have happily stayed & guzzled wine & enjoyed the ambience all evening.

But, we cut our losses after the mains & headed to Storm in a Teacup for takeaway ice creams for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

dubmick wrote: »
    what??? Love that place. What happened? Always busy. Saw a girl who worked there working in a local shop today and thought it was strange.

Pity. I read in Skerries News that the lease was up. So the owner may have other plans for the premises or wants to increase the rent.

There was a post on their Facebook account in the early hours of this morning saying that it would be opening again soon. Not sure if it was drunk posting or a frape. Will update this thread if I hear any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Had a lovely meal in Bombay Bistro last week. There were 4 of us and we decided to order mains & sides, no starters. The manager brought over two substantial plates of complimentary starters which were very tasty.

All the dishes we tried were delicious, a saag & goan seafood curry were the stand-outs though.

At the end of our meal, after we had paid the bill, the manager offered us another drink - even though we said no! He said it was a little too warm in the restaurant that night (it kind of was) and emptied a full bottle of white wine into our four glasses at no extra charge.

I'll definitely be returning. Great food & exceptional service. :)

Nice one! This is the place in Rush, yeah? Good to hear it is getting back on track. The last few takeaways weren't the best. Maybe I'll give them a shot again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Nice one! This is the place in Rush, yeah? Good to hear it is getting back on track. The last few takeaways weren't the best. Maybe I'll give them a shot again soon.

Sorry, yes Rush! They were certainly doing all they could to make sure we had a nice evening.

On the subject of Pasta Pizza & Skerries - it's great to see it back. The food was always nice and it's part of the furniture.

Two new establishments have popped up in Skerries recently - "Rockabill" on Strand St and "The Amber Door" steakhouse beside Raff's. Has anyone been? Rockabill, in particular, seems to have a very nice menu.

I'm looking forward to trying Rockabill. The owner used to have The Little Café on Thomas Hand St/Dublin Rd. Always did a great breakfast.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    We eat out sometimes in Kettles in Roganstown.

Went there tonight after I'd been sailing and I was ravenous.

Had an eight oz fillet steak with mash, onion rings, tomato, and a side of veg.

OH wasn't very hungry so he just had wings, and a dessert of apple pie.

The food was super, really enjoyed the meal and service.

I wasn't sailing tonight and we decided to eat out in the steakhouse in Kettles.

It's our go to place normally if we want to eat out on a Thursday as they do a special of a steak and glass of wine for €12

I've never had a bad steak there until tonight, so I'd pass it off as a one off, but I sent mine back as undercooked, as it's sirloin/striploin I ask for medium, it was literally blue on the inside and the entire steak was cold.

OH thought I was a bit odd, but left over a third of his which was more substantial as he considered it raw.

Now in fairness, they deducted a coffee and wine from our bill. And in my case they recooked it, OH was too put off to bother.

In five and a half years of going to Kettles, this is the fourth time we have had issues

All of them involve the same waiter, who tonight told us that everyone else was perfectly happy, and I felt that he was somehow negating our experience.
    This is our fourth time of this happenng and due to his behaviour we won't be going back regardless of what they offer.

I just feel really let down, last thing you want to hear when two meals are acknowledged as being inferior is that "everyone else was fine"

Very poor show, I like Kettles, but that one waiter lets them down.

As it's the fourth time round they are out of chances.

The shame is that the first three times, I asked to speak to the managers, yet they haven't acted on it.

We'd eat there at least three times a month as a couple, and once a month with two other adults.

Really really disappointed, I had one of the nicest fillet steaks there recently, but I'm not going back due to the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Take it up with management Stheno.
    Let them know about the poor service that you have received lately.
    Don't let one waiter stop you from enjoying a favourite spot.

My 2c worth.

Take it up with management Stheno.
    Let them know about the poor service that you have received lately.
    Don't let one waiter stop you from enjoying a favourite spot.

My 2c worth.

I've complained about this same waiter three times in the past five years, so much so that we didn't frequent the hotel for a year until recently, and while management there will refund a meal etc, they have actually promoted this guy.

If you complain to him, you get one of two responses:

1. You are wrong the food is perfect (I had that once)
    or
    2. Everyone else was happy (had this three times)

I've now completely lost any faith in going there, and dread having to put up with this waiter, far too many choices in NCD to waste on having to suffer someone not suited to the service industry.

By contrast, we went to Blues Doghouse in Howth tonight, greeted nicely, super service, the wifi wasn't working so they had a chinwag about that with us, great food, chat about the resident cat with the staff, and a cheery goodnight when we left.

Life is not worth wasting on places that don't bother, and it's a shame about Kettles that that one person has now poisoned me against the place, but I simply cannot bear the thoughts of dealing with them again, and dread the thoughts of having to complain if things are not up to scratch.

If you think I sound above myself, I also work in the service industry on the frontline and regularly have to deal with complaints, so I know it's not pleasant, but find my customers admire you more for putting your hand up and saying you fecked up, than otherwise.

Mrs B & I went to The Plough in Skerries for lunch yesterday. My God, it was fantastic! They had a super chorizo, chickpea & spinach soup (am making my own version for dinner at home tonight) which accompanied a half Coronation Chicken sandwich for herself & a Ploughman's sandwich with amazing homemade cucumber pickle for me. Top notch! I can also vouch for their great breakfasts that I regularly go for at the weekends.

Last night then we went to Blue Bar with The Kids. Burgers, wings & pulled-pork sambos. Was delish! In contrast to the last time we had a lovely girl serving us last night which made it a really pleasant experience.

Went to Storm in a Teacup for dessert of tubs of ice cream which we had looking at the sailors, rowers & canoeists out in the harbour. Class!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Where is The Plough?

Oops - on Balbriggan Street in Skerries at the entrance to Skerries Community College (where First Stop used to be). It's a family-run business. They bake their own breads which they also sell by the loaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Went to El Chico in the plaza in swords. The food was delish and the staff couldn't do enough for us. I'd defo recommend it.

Tilly wrote: »
    Went to El Chico in the plaza in swords. The food was delish and the staff couldn't do enough for us. I'd defo recommend it.

That place has been open since January!

Went there tonight after reading your post, as I love Mexican, and it was super.

Great food, love the nachos and dip appetiser, and the service is fantastic.

We've not been around the Plaza for months, so am not surprised I missed it, but it's a fantastic addition to eateries in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

Has anyone been to The Brick Room in Balbriggan ?

Theres a deal online which ill buy.
    It looks lovely

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Carter12 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to The Brick Room in Balbriggan ?

Theres a deal online which ill buy.
    It looks lovely

thanks

I like the Brick Room so I would recommend to friends, haven't tried their new menu tho...they're also BYOB which is a handy night out

Advertisement