Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't like bad news.....here's €20k

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

pgj2015 wrote: »
    we all know coffee is made with boiling water, so if you spill it on yourself, that is your own fault. its irrelevant what age the customer was.

Somewhere on the internet, it clearly states: ''You can indeed burn coffee and create an acrid brew if you use water that's too hot. Even for coffee drinkers who like their coffee as hot as possible, brewing with boiling water is not a good idea.''
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

COVID wrote: »
    Somewhere on the internet, it clearly states: ''You can indeed burn coffee and create an acrid brew if you use water that's too hot. Even for coffee drinkers who like their coffee as hot as possible, brewing with boiling water is not a good idea.''
    :p

well its going to be made with water hot enough to burn you if it spills on you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

we all know coffee is made with boiling water, so if you spill it on yourself, that is your own fault.

It's not quite as simple as 'if you spill coffee on yourself, it's your own fault'.

There are several things at play. Below are just a couple of these.

1. Are paper cups designed to hold boiling hot coffee. My thinking is no, they are not. They are designed to hold hot beverages, but maybe not at temperatures close to boiling. So the cup may not have been suitable - that would be McDonald's fault.

2. Is it not reasonably forseeable that someone could burn themselves with near boiling liquids? I would think so. And if it's reasonably forseeable, what did McDonalds do about it? Given that there were loads of less severe burns beforehand, they should have looked at the risk to the public and done something about it. One of these things might include serving the coffee at a cooler and therefore less dangerous temperature.

The coffee burn case is in no way similar to the OP case where the kids got money for fcukall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

"The child would also ensure that everyone had their seatbelts on when the family were traveling in their car."

My child does this too, can I sue him? The insurance company? Myself? Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

By fool, you mean a 79 woman who, split hot coffee on herself, was hospitalized for a week and need a skin graft Where maccdys had ignored 100s of other cases and complaints of people being burnt by the same coffee and where McDOnalds told their franchisees to keep the coffee at this temp in the first place, where it was burning people Where they had originally looked for medical expenses, which in the US are vast and were offered 800 dollars

I wasn't even aware of the incident you referred to and fool is probably a bit much for someone who suffered extensive scalding burns but at the same time some of the details of the event suggest she maybe wasn't being too clever either:

"She was sitting in the passenger seat of her grandson's parked car when she put the coffee between her knees and spilt it in her lap"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2470792/Stella-Liebecks-hot-coffee-McDonalds-lawsuit-The-truth.html

So she was sitting in a car (an object that traditionally tends to move around a lot) holding extremely hot coffee between her legs .......... Unleash all the straw man rebuttals you want but its a pretty stupid thing to do. Whatever way ya cut it. She absolutely deserved some form of monetary compensation for her injuries but its usually best to use anything but your special region as a means of securing a cup of extremely hot coffee contained in a thin paper cup sitting in a car. Cup holders are class yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0205/1195164-judicial-council/

Let us hope that the Judicial Council cuts typical personal injury awards by 80%, down to UK levels, although still way above German levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

keng66 wrote: »
    At least €25,000 for any kid that walks in on their parents haveing sex:)

I walked OUT on my parents having sex. BORING!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I remember in the donegal forum that the donegal was banned from it. Notwithstanding that and if it is taken that the kids won the award for some reason.

The words the barrister Peter Nolan used seemed rehearsed. The court reports were published

https://donegal99.rssing.com/chan-9886055/latest.php

Low and behold every payout for weird accidents were lead by him. Not one failed. I'd be wary of a cottage industry with the same judge. The same legal team and the same outcome. Or is just the luck of the draw on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

On a slight tangent to this, I heard McDonald's doesn't serve properly hot food anymore because some moron sued them many years ago because of a hot food "injury" claim. Not sure if its BS but I've heard this said a number of times. I know anytime I get food from them its barely warm.
    I remember some fool spilt hot coffee on themselves at mcdonalds years ago and sued them for 1 million dollars.

Aaaaah, did you not see the burns that lady ended up with? Google them and be prepared to be shocked. They were horrific. McDonalds was serving its coffee at a way higher temperature than it needed to be. No way should she have ended up with the burns she did from spilling coffee on herself. In the judgement, she was required to take a percentage of the blame too. And if I recall too, she didn’t want to sue for the crazy amount she did either. I’d have to refresh my memory but there was a lot more to that case than the headlines it generated.
    I wasn't even aware of the incident you referred to and fool is probably a bit much for someone who suffered extensive scalding burns but at the same time some of the details of the event suggest she maybe wasn't being too clever either:

"She was sitting in the passenger seat of her grandson's parked car when she put the coffee between her knees and spilt it in her lap"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2470792/Stella-Liebecks-hot-coffee-McDonalds-lawsuit-The-truth.html

So she was sitting in a car (an object that traditionally tends to move around a lot) holding extremely hot coffee between her legs .......... Unleash all the straw man rebuttals you want but its a pretty stupid thing to do. Whatever way ya cut it. She absolutely deserved some form of monetary compensation for her injuries but its usually best to use anything but your special region as a means of securing a cup of extremely hot coffee contained in a thin paper cup sitting in a car. Cup holders are class yokes.

Yes, her putting the cup between her knees is why she was required to take a certain amount of responsibility for the incident herself. That was taken into account. However, she clearly had an expectation, like many people would, that the coffee served would not be ~100°C but cooler than that. McDonalds had plenty of warnings that their coffee was far too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

McDonalds had plenty of warnings that their coffee was far too hot.

That's true. It's written on every coffee cup lid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so that's why so many cafes serve their coffee lukewarm , i was wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cash is the universally recognised remedy for trauma

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

And the High Court is far better than Lourdes for healing injuries. The amount of people who have hobbled into the High Court and danced out of it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A recent report by two leading neurosurgeons found that 90pc of patients with whiplash attending a Dublin pain management clinic failed to return for additional treatment once their legal action was completed.

The unpublished finding, from a study of 100 patients of the Mater Hospital pain management service, is quoted in a paper by two leading neurosurgeons as evidence Ireland is experiencing “a whiplash epidemic” requiring urgent reform.

It is amazing that cash seems to make the symptoms disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

I walked OUT on my parents having sex. BORING!

That has all levels of wrong attached to it.

Fair play.

Advertisement