Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't like bad news.....here's €20k

Options
  • 01-02-2021 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Two Children have been awarded €20k for sever trauma when they heard their father had been involved in a car accident, the kids themselves where not involved in the accident and did not even see it.

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/02/01/children-awarded-e20000-over-trauma-of-dads-accident/

This tops them all in the looney compensation awards, €10k each for hearing about bad news. It doesn't say who the claim was against, i'm guessing the car insurance company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That sounds crazy. Surely it was the fact that he was in a car crash and then in hospital for months that traumatised them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

**** sake give me money like!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm traumatised reading that story. I'm suing boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That sounds crazy. Surely it was the fact that he was in a car crash and then in hospital for months that traumatised them?

It is from the donegal daily, the journalism equivalent of "what i did during my summer holidays" that you had to write in September of 1st class in primary school

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So any child whose parent is in a car collision can now claim for stress?
    And from whom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

At least €25,000 for any kid that walks in on their parents haveing sex:)

you get 50k if you attend this Judge's court for getting your head stuck in a gate:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/civil-court-boy-awarded-e50000-2568025-Jan2016/

I assume the Defence look at the track record of the Judge they will be making their case before and then decide to settle or not rather than leaving it to the tender mercies of the Judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Did he die or anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

biko wrote: »
    So any child whose parent is in a car collision can now claim for stress?
    And from whom?

Hasn't this been happening for years? I heard of parents who got "crying money" when their son crashed his car and the daughter was nearly killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

keng66 wrote: »
    At least €25,000 for any kid that walks in on their parents haveing sex:)

You still traumatised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Will any politician ever tackle this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just out of interest, whats the statute of limitations on this sort of claim ?

My dad was in an accident when I was younger and spent months in hospital. I have a feeling I'm due a couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These successful daft comp payouts always remind me of this:

EF_UEngXYAAyCvY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

do some judges hate insurance companies or what? that is the craziest payout I have ever heard of.

Not to condone this bullsh1t, but it looks like a settlement rather than award by the beak.

They were hoping for up to 60k each.
    ****in disgrace though Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I know it’s said if you don’t ask you don’t get but this is ridiculous. Have they no shame at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just out of interest, whats the statute of limitations on this sort of claim ?

My dad was in an accident when I was younger and spent months in hospital. I have a feeling I'm due a couple of quid.

Statute of Limitations is different for children than it is for adults. It's two years from date of knowledge of the injury for adults. Normally that's two years from the date of the accident but it can be tricky when it comes to psychological injury as you mightn't be aware you are suffering from a psychological injury for a good while after the incident.

In the case of an injured child, the Statute of Limitations clock doesn't start ticking until their 18th birthday. They then have 2 years to go to PIAB/Court.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    do some judges hate insurance companies or what? that is the craziest payout I have ever heard of.
    Not to condone this bullsh1t, but it looks like a settlement rather than award by the beak.

MikeOxsgreen is correct. The judge had fcukall to do with the award. It was a settlement between the parties. All settlements involving children must be approved by a judge. The judge can't really do anything if the award is undeserved or too much. They are only there to make sure that the award isn't too small.

you get 50k if you attend this Judge's court for getting your head stuck in a gate:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/civil-court-boy-awarded-e50000-2568025-Jan2016/

While I am giving out about awards, that example above doesn't seem too mad. It's certainly for a valid reason whereas the kids being traumatised is a crock of sh1t.

We don't know to what extent the child was left disfigured. The report said significant scarring over the eye so I'm guessing it wasn't a tiny little nick. Realistically that could affect the boy for the rest of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Snotty wrote: »
    This tops them all in the looney compensation awards, €10k each for hearing about bad news. It doesn't say who the claim was against, i'm guessing the car insurance company.

It's a little more than bad news if your life lies on the line for six months in hospital.

I don't see a difference if a father was given life-threatening news about cancer for example, and had to battle that as much for six months in hospital. Of course, if it was a mother who had a misread cervical scan then compensation is way above this piddly amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

It's a little more than bad news if your life lies on the line for six months in hospital.

I don't see a difference if a father was given life-threatening news about cancer for example, and had to battle that as much for six months in hospital. Of course, if it was a mother who had a misread cervical scan then compensation is way above this piddly amount.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but who is the claim against??

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

fryup wrote: »

The at fault driver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I'm traumatised reading that story. I'm suing boards.

I'm traumatised that you're traumatised. Gimme money.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 johnboy1298

This is just crazy, I don't understand how this can't be tackled and why there is no will to do it politically

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

spodoinkle wrote: »
    The at fault driver

and his insurance had to cough up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Snotty wrote: »
    Two Children have been awarded €20k for sever trauma when they heard their father had been involved in a car accident, the kids themselves where not involved in the accident and did not even see it.

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/02/01/children-awarded-e20000-over-trauma-of-dads-accident/

I’m going to put my cynical hat on and assume that the claimants were from Derry (5km from where the accident happened) as it’s very typical of a derry style claim. Half of Derry are driving around in mobility cars as they’ve all been involved in some form of accident at some stage which renders them unable to work but on the upside they get free cars every other year.

and his insurance had to cough up ?

Yes. It would have been the 'at fault' driver's insurance company who agreed to pay the kids the figure of €10k each.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

I'm traumatised that you're traumatised. Gimme money.

As your local GP with a deep understanding of trauma, I can give you some free advice.

Come and see me as soon as possible, wear a mask, stay in the car park, and have €70 cash ready to hand over, pronto.

Do take care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I need to get in on this racket.

Feck this pay-my-own-way crap Ive been doing all my life.

Advertisement