Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Denis Lehane is a terrible writer. Good at plot conception, absolutely terrible at execution. Shutter Island is by far his best work and even that was a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭bullpost

"The Island That Dared" Dervla Murphy.

Her travels in Cuba when she was in her 70s. Clearly a fan of the "revolution" . Very entertaining book so far , though her biases shine through.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,360 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Brothers In Arms: One Legendary Tank Regiment's Bloody War From D-Day to VE-Day by James Holland

A brilliantly researched and detailed account of the exploits of The Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, which were a regiment of part-time troops during WWII. They were a tank regiment and ended up being one of the most decorated units in British Army history.

I read this to coincide with a trip to the D-Day Landing Beaches in Normandy and it really set the scene for me.

The losses suffered by the SRY were shocking and the details of what they had to endure harrowing, but it also highlights what remarkable men (and in many instances very young men) they were, the enormous responsibility on their shoulders to liberate Europe and to push through the horrifying deaths of their comrades to slowly but surely march into Germany.

This is definitely one of my reads of the year so far.

Guerrilla Days In Ireland by Tom Barry

Fabulous read, easily the most informative on flying columns and the War for Independence. Barry really draws the reader in and you can imagine what it was like back then in 1920 and 1921.

It's amazing how young he was when he had all of that responsibility as commander of the West Cork brigade on his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Just finished "John Lennon - A Restless Life"

An excellent "warts and all" account of the Beatle but a deeply flawed person.

For someone who preached about "peace and love", the way he treated his first wife and son was despicable.

His period from when he hooked up with Yoko Ono is fascinating and bizarre in equal measure.

Overall, he comes across as a nasty piece of work despite his "icon" status amongst the Beatles fanbase.

• Advertisement

Beyond the Wall by Katja Hoyer

Revised history of East Germany from conception to 1990.

Just started and it promises to find positives in the life people lived in the East , while pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a state which was effectively controlled by the Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dido35

I don't know if anyone remembers the Point Horror books for young adults from the 90s but I got one second hand that I read a million times as a child. The nostalgia is lovely. The plot is so ridiculous though, it's about a girl who falls in love with....a cave 😁 It's called The Stranger for anyone who wants to look it up 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah, a working class hero who lived off Central Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Read that myself a few months back, found it very interesting and revealing, but then anything Berlin Wall and Cold War behind the Iron Curtain, and I'm hooked.

A few I've read over the last while:

Cumann Na mBan and the Irish Revolution by Cal McCarthy. Just an interesting read on the part played by women in the Rising, anti-conscription campaign, the War of Independence and the Civil War.

Borstal Boy by Behan. Don't know if it was as good as all the hype led me to believe, but he has a great turn of phrase.

The International by Glenn Patterson. Really liked it, it looks at the troubles in Northern Ireland from the viewpoint of a barman who works in a hotel in Belfast in 1967, just before the Civil Rights Association was founded. It is an alternative way of looking at it, cover a relatively quiet time before everything kicked off and the reader can compare it to the 30 years that followed.

Christine Falls by Benjamin Black. Didn't know these are actually by John Banville until recently. It's the Quirke detective series set in 50's Dublin. Looking forward to reading the others.

Foster by Claire Keegan about a young girl sent to a foster family in rural Ireland.

Small Things Like These by Claire. She's a very talented writer, I was back in 80's Ireland growing up again.

The Barracks by John McGahern. Just another lovely book about life in a rural Irish town, touching.

The Anarchy by William Dairymple. The history of the British East Indian Company in India. Jaw dropping the level of plundering, corruption, and just the scale of it, from what was basically a private company and army.

The Nothing Man by Catherine Ryan Howard about a serial killer who comes back to haunt a survivor gain. Think she's a great thriller writer.

Champagne Football by Paul Rowan, John Delaney and the FAI. Wow, just Wow.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I know that there is quite a bit of hate for these types of books but I enjoy them. This is Morris' fourth book about survivors of the Holocaust.

Although this book started off quite slow, it did become an interesting read further along. Unsurprisingly, the focus of this book surrounds 3 Jewish sisters from Slovakia who are sent to Auschwitz by the Nazis (albeit they weren't all sent at the same time).

It's truly harrowing what these young girls had to endure and inspiring how they lived their lives after liberation in spite of unrelenting antisemitism throughout Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Still working through Empire of Pain but took a break for something lighter. The Ross O’Carroll Kelly.

These are always an enjoyable read. Only disappointing part is that it is still 2019 for Ross. These books are normally set about 2 years in the past when they are published so I had expected Ross to have faced lockdown and not being able to get to his favourite boozer by this book in the series.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Bought four new books the other day, can't wait to get stuck in.

Holly - Stephen King

The Land of Lost Things - John Connolly

Prophet Song - Paul Lynch

The Turnglass - Gareth Rubin

Finished Empire of Pain. Should’ve been called Empire of Evil. The Sacklers put Pablo Escobar in the ha’penny place with their deviousness, corruption and suffering that they inflicted across the world.

Anyway, on to something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Just finished reading The Little Friend by Donna Tartt , brilliant book she really draws you into the world of the novel and you feel like you've lived in the town itself all your life and know all the characters in the book.The book is as much about giving you a snapshot of life in the Southern United States as it is about the plot of the novel itself.

Very handsome illustration. Is it Chris Wormell?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Anyone else read George Pelecanos? He wrote for The Wire, Treme etc. Always enjoy his books. Find it unusual to be laughing when reading a book but always laugh reading his. King Suckerman in particular with the repeated references to "brown eye" from the antagonist. He's very good at writing believable dialogue and genuine sounding black characters.

Finished Holly yesterday, I enjoyed it. Started Prophet Song last night. It's kind of reminding me of The Earlie King and the Kid in Yellow. Quite a lyrical prose style, with no direct dialogue and a lot of paragraph-long sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sourcery Terry Pratchett working my way through discworld !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Killers of the Flower Moon. Reading it, it's not difficult to see why America 2023 is still so racist, the treatment of the Native Americans was absolutely outrageous. Bigotry is built into the fabric of the American psyche.

• Advertisement

I nearly bought that the other day, would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Absolutely. It's a riveting read. I've severely gotten out of the habit of reading but as Scorceses next movie is based on it I picked it up and am glad I did. I have read things like The Rape of Nanking and KOTFM has left me every bit aghast as TRON did and considering the subject matter of TRON that's some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was working my way through the booker nominees.

Tbh I haven't been blown away by any of the books that I've read so far. I think Birnam Wood by Elenor Catton was better than any of them.

I finished Prophet's song. I didn't really buy the breakdown in society that he portrayed. It seemed to happen too fast, the exact nature of the causes wasn't touched upon. It left the first half of the book kind of weightless for me. I thought the creep of totalitarianism into a society would have made for a more interesting novel: but that aspect of it seemed undercooked, glossed over.

Until the second half of the book which becomes a pretty decent and vivid account of a society in total collapse - but I think the first half doesn't really convince.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

And if you want to read about war crimes, civil rights abuses and state sponsored torture and terror of civilians from one denominational group in one's own backyard, read Lethal Allies by Anne Cadwallader.

The Brits were so bad they tried to persuade the UVF to bomb a primary school and kill Haughey.

Native Americans and Irish have much in common when it comes to the rape of their land and culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Killers Of.... Was a pretty great read.

Would also endorse The Wager by the same author. Takes a while to get going, but eventually becomes a scarcely believable story of survival. I'm sure it's eventually going to get adapted for the screen too.

People who enjoyed - if that's the right word - Empire of Pain should also check out Rouges and Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. He's just a first rate non-fiction writer.

I think I may have to set Prophet Song aside for a while. It just feels a bit to apposite right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Finished ‘Episode Thirteen’ by Craig DiLouie there. It’s a haunted house story about a team of ghost hunters and their escapades of filming the 13th episode of the first season of their show.

Has elements of both ‘Haunting of Hill House’ and ‘House of Leaves’ about it. Think I wanted to like it more than I did but it was still enjoyable.

Will start into ‘All Hallows’ by Christopher Golden soon, for the season that’s in it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Just finished Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith.

It has been sitting on my library ever since it's release date but the sheer size of this absolute unit of a book always put me off reading it until now.

I have to say that this is my favourite so far of the Strike series and moves along at a great pace. Dunno why I was so worried about starting into all these years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just finished Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. Really enjoyed it. Great start to the series but I think it could work well as a standalone too.

Advertisement