Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern Europe?????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

herya wrote: »
    Well they should, Europe reaches east as far as to the Ural mountains and it's not disputable really :)

istanbul is a long way west of the urals and the bosphorus river is the divide between europe and asia, so disputable it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

rossie1977 wrote: »
    istanbul is a long way west of the urals and the bosphorus river is the divide between europe and asia, so disputable it is

I'd say that the common approach to measuring the width of anything is to check its farthest points though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

herya wrote: »
    True but it constitutes more than 30% of Europe's width.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe :)
    its still to the east of it ;)
    like we are to the west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Mousey- wrote: »
    its still to the east of it ;)
    like we are to the west

Lithuania is, Poland isn't :)

Just making a point for the sake of it... not that I mind that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Well i have the atlas (google maps) open now and to me the centre of europe looks like germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My understanding is Eastern europe is all countries that use to be behind the Iron curtain and western europe well thats now self explained. So lit is in eastern europe....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

looks pretty eastern to me you crazy commie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ! Hitman

liah wrote: »
    Then I suppose it'd be the USSR leftovers thing. A lot of them still speak or are Russian.

yeah, lot's of them do speak russian, but their main language is, their native language... Britts has left much more in Ireland, than Russians in Eastern Europe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OP would the term western civilisation not confuse you more because:

1: The planet is a globe and doesn't really have a west or east side and

2: The USA and Cuba are about as west as each other yet only one is a part of western civilisation and Ireland east of Cuba is also considered "western".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

D wrote: »
    Well i have the atlas (google maps) open now and to me the centre of europe looks like germany.

I think that the Czechs think that they're in the centre as well. It must be quite crowded with them all fighting over the spot.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

ShooterSF wrote: »
    OP would the term western civilisation not confuse you more because:

1: The planet is a globe and doesn't really have a west or east side and

2: The USA and Cuba are about as west as each other yet only one is a part of western civilisation and Ireland east of Cuba is also considered "western".

The term 'western civilisation' is used to describe a certain culture and ideology, not a population that's geographically in the 'west'. It first came about probably because of the way maps are commonly printed on a flat surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OctavarIan wrote: »
    The term 'western civilisation' is used to describe a certain culture and ideology, not a population that's geographically in the 'west'. It first came about probably because of the way maps are commonly printed on a flat surface.

Agreed. Similar to how Eastern European is not a geographical statement so much as a political one from post WW II.

Advertisement