Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern Europe?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from cool vids...
    It's a valid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I suppose its people being sterotypical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Probably because of the language grouping, I'd assume? Their language is similar to the rest of Eastern Europe so they got grouped that way, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i'm really trying to care, but i just can't...

Also, it doesn't make visual sense that it's the geographical centre.

Look at this: http://www.europeetravel.com/images/maps/europe-political-small.gif

It's clearly to the Eastern side. I'd consider maybe northern Poland, or the border between it and Germany to be the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Sounds like a crappy advertising campaign of tourism for Lithuania!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It's more than likely because they were part of the USSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I'd imagine it would be a relic of the Cold War. Eastern Europe would have been old Warsaw pact or ex-Soviet states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

liah wrote: »
    Probably because of the language grouping, I'd assume? Their language is similar to the rest of Eastern Europe so they got grouped that way, I guess.
    It isn't. Latvian (has lots in common with German) and Lithuanian are unique languages (nothing to do with any Slavic languages) and Estonian is related to Finnish.

UN groups the Baltic states as Northern Europe. Geographically they are Northern Europe as well.

Unaton wrote: »
    It isn't. Latvian (has lots in common with German) and Lithuanian are unique languages (nothing to do with any Slavic languages) and Estonian is related to Finnish.

UN groups the Baltic states as Northern Europe. Geographically they are Northern Europe as well.

Then I suppose it'd be the USSR leftovers thing. A lot of them still speak or are Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They're to the east of us aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

wont be looseing much sleep over this one really

does anyone really care?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If you had to fly west to Dublin, you're from the east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Well because all that's east of Lithuania is Russia. It would be kinda shíte if all of Eastern Europe consisted of one country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Althought geographically it is in the middle of Europe, politically and socially it isn't. Also, Eastern Europe is derived from the Cold War, so everything East of Berlin is "Eastern Europe" really. It's more political than geographical.

In an EU context it is also an Eastern country (geologically).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ! Hitman

as i see, there are many geographical midpoints of europe :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_midpoint_of_Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

! Hitman wrote: »
    i don't understand why peoples call lithuanians as Eastern Europeanians,

Prefer to call them Eastern Europeans myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

! Hitman wrote: »
    as i see, there are many geographical midpoints of europe :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_midpoint_of_Europe

I think you are taking it personally, to mean your own country. Irish people would refer to other nationalities as eastern Europeans., some examples Poland, Romania, Muldova etc. Its not meant in a derogatory way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

All dem damn fordiners are eastern europeans to me. Even the chinese fordiners and the brazilians.

You think they'd learn how to speak proper before coming over here with their tanned skin, their sexy legs and accents and their broad muscular shoulders......

.......Oh Pedro why did you leave me????? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Abigayle wrote: »
    I think you are taking it personally, to mean your own country. Irish people would refer to other nationalities as eastern Europeans., some examples Poland, Romania, Muldova etc. Its not meant in a derogatory way.

True but it might be confusing for some since in Polish, German, American (not sure about UK?) etc political studies Eastern Europe means former Soviet Union countries. Countries like Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia (none of which was in the SU), also Austria and Germany are in Central Europe (Mitteleuropa in German). It hails back to the historical Austro-Hungary and Prussia-Germany and their political influence, as opposed to Russian influence.

Therefore referring to a Polish person as an Eastern European is a little like calling the Irish West Brits :cool:
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Also, Eastern Europe is derived from the Cold War, so everything East of Berlin is "Eastern Europe" really. It's more political than geographical.

That's "Eastern bloc".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

herya wrote: »
    Therefore referring to a Polish person as an Eastern European is a little like calling the Irish West Brits :cool:

Pff. Sure half of them are Eastern Irish :pac:

Latchy & Brummy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Dey tuk ur Juuuurrbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 yousername

because it's only center if you count some of russia as europe, which most people don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Prague is the centre of Europe, not too far away from Germany and other regions to the East. Although if we were to beleive some of the BS from the pro-lisbon treaty people, Ireland is at the heart of Europe and the Centre as well!

yousername wrote: »
    because it's only center if you count some of russia as europe, which most people don't.

Well they should, Europe reaches east as far as to the Ural mountains and it's not disputable really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

netwhizkid wrote: »
    ... if we were to beleive some of the BS from the pro-lisbon treaty people, Ireland is at the heart of Europe and the Centre as well!

Pfft. Get over it Declan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

1 former soviet block......known as the east

2 only a bit of russia is technically in europe (see map)
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3479/3942788511_4b630fa979.jpg

3.because it is slightly east of central europe (germany/france/belgium)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I like biscuits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Burkey0

Forget Eastern Europe and Lithuania, what is the dead centre of Dublin?
    Glasnevin Cemetery

• Advertisement

Mousey- wrote: »
    2 only a bit of russia is technically in europe (see map)
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3479/3942788511_4b630fa979.jpg

True but it constitutes more than 30% of Europe's width.
    Mousey- wrote: »
    3.because it is slightly east of central europe (germany/france/belgium)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe :)

Advertisement