Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homelessness

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Graces7 wrote: »
    Does anyone, however badly thought of they are , really deserve to be without a roof over their head? Which is what some posts here seem to be saying. Without the most basic of human needs? That will only degrade and damage further. Let us hope we are not each and all condemned to get only what we really deserve to have!

Short answer - no.

Many will judge those who are down on their luck, or perhaps struggling to deal with trauma and all the knock on effects of that. When really, what separates them in many instances is perhaps decent parents or family with means who can provide for them or pick them back up when they're down on their luck. Loving family that gave them the best start in life-and it's easier to go from there. Many don't or never had that.

I know many who's parents gave them a great start in life, allowed them (and even partners) to live with them while saving for a home or building house. I know many over the years who returned to their parents after a job loss, divorce, or any transition/trauma going on.

And then I know those w/out family means who managed to stay afloat only by the grace of god, friends, luck, and some help from charity/social welfare. It's a tough world out there. Keeping our humanity and empathy for all is so important. I often think of those living rough, and imagine them as a baby or child and wonder what went wrong. There's most likely tragedy and trauma behind their story. We should all be kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Short answer - no.

Many will judge those who are down on their luck, or perhaps struggling to deal with trauma and all the knock on effects of that. When really, what separates them in many instances is perhaps decent parents or family with means who can provide for them or pick them back up when they're down on their luck. Loving family that gave them the best start in life-and it's easier to go from there. Many don't or never had that.

I know many who's parents gave them a great start in life, allowed them (and even partners) to live with them while saving for a home or building house. I know many over the years who returned to their parents after a job loss, divorce, or any transition/trauma going on.

And then I know those w/out family means who managed to stay afloat only by the grace of god, friends, luck, and some help from charity/social welfare. It's a tough world out there. Keeping our humanity and empathy for all is so important. I often think of those living rough, and imagine them as a baby or child and wonder what went wrong. There's most likely tragedy and trauma behind their story. We should all be kind.

It is all of these things.

But also few here really know the state of the rental market for those of us - and I mean US - who are seeking low cost rentals.
    Folk here in their …. well yes, self righteous judging have any idea what life can be like.

And yes, I have been very very close to being homeless through such problems. No fault attached. None. I am old and very respectable with a good record of rent paying etc. No family . I don't drink or use drugs. Just that there was no alternative accommodation to be had. Sleeping in my old car became a strong probability.

Rentals end for many reasons. Mostly the landlord, wanting to stop renting. Or the accommodation proving ,as happened to me. Had I reported to RTB it would have been closed down . I t is very scary and very real .

Nobody hasn't a roof over their head only by choice.[/B

Homeless now is a very very broad term these days. The forever home is what is been sought here.
    No co living arrangements or hotels etc are in no way ideal but they aren't been left outside on s Street corner, B&Bs too of course.

Many reasons why but a lot comes down to mental health, this in itself needs sorting as it's very complex but people would be up.in arms if people were picked up of the street against their will, this is exactly what needs doing to help these but we can't have it that way as it will be against human rights etc.

Drink and or drugs.

Bolded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It is all of these things.

But also few here really know the state of the rental market for those of us - and I mean US - who are seeking low cost rentals.
    Folk here in their …. well yes, self righteous judging have any idea what life can be like.

And yes, I have been very very close to being homeless through such problems. No fault attached. None. I am old and very respectable with a good record of rent paying etc. No family . I don't drink or use drugs. Just that there was no alternative accommodation to be had. Sleeping in my old car became a strong probability.

Rentals end for many reasons. Mostly the landlord, wanting to stop renting. Or the accommodation proving ,as happened to me. Had I reported to RTB it would have been closed down . I t is very scary and very real .

Do you not meet senior citizens/ social housing criteria in your local authority?

Do you not meet senior citizens/ social housing criteria in your local authority?

There are waiting lists for most of these. The council had nowhere.

I found somewhere finally, in the back of nowhere and very basic
    Works for me.

My point is that accommodation is very hard to come by. Very hard. My excellent landlord before the disaster was having to sell. These things happen. My point also that people of any age and situation can and do end up homeless through no fault of theirs and from then on it cab be a downward spiral. No references etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There are waiting lists for most of these. The council had nowhere.

I found somewhere finally, in the back of nowhere and very basic
    Works for me.

My point is that accommodation is very hard to come by. Very hard. My excellent landlord before the disaster was having to sell. These things happen. My point also that people of any age and situation can and do end up homeless through no fault of theirs and from then on it cab be a downward spiral. No references etc

I understand your point , but you should be assessed in your local authority regardless, theres a variety of types of housing available for senior citizens once you meet thier criteria.

Graces , i work in homeless services and am very well aware of the challenges of those accessing HAP , private and social housing.

More and more housing associations are providing accommodation via local authorities and the lists talked can vary according to what your assesed as needing.

I understand you being content but ive seen individuals in thier seventies present as homeless when private rented fell apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

We have mass unemployment mass poverty and mass homelessness on our hands if the country doesn't open up soon and I mean soon.

Source?

I understand your point , but you should be assessed in your local authority regardless, theres a variety of types of housing available for senior citizens once you meet thier criteria.

Graces , i work in homeless services and am very well aware of the challenges of those accessing HAP , private and social housing.

More and more housing associations are providing accommodation via local authorities and the lists talked can vary according to what your assesed as needing.

I understand you being content but ive seen individuals in thier seventies present as homeless when private rented fell apart.

Thank you for the work you do. You are a living saint!

I am still more than capable of living independently and will do so as long as I can. I am safe here and love it! And am very, very resourceful...

But others are not resourceful. And it is these who fall through the net; and who to blame them then for falling further? I met some years ago who were literally newly homeless and the effect on them was shocking. Bewilderment. Living in B and B provided by the local authority. We all need a home not just a roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Homeless isn't as trendy nowadays as covid.

Remember the Maggie Cash and Erica Fleming newspaper stories? SF all over it. Not anymore.

Speaking of, I believe Maggie's fella is back inside....

How common is it for parents to kick their adult children out? By kick out I mean ask them to leave without any means to support themselves (job, savings) so that they essentially become homeless.

Do you know anyone in this position?

An uncle of mine, may he rest in peace was homeless for a time on the streets of Dundalk. Huge amount of effort was put in to help him, but it's not as simple as saying his family kicked him out. One aunt offered to let him stay on the condition that he didn't drink a bottle of whiskey for breakfast everyday. He didn't like that prospect and stayed on the street.

The Simon community gave him a small bungalow to live in and various family members donated bits of furniture. Most of the furniture then got sold to buy booze.

There's a point when you can only do so much and let people make their own decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Anyone remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/3244309.stm

Think DCC housed them , but not sure they stayed in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Smoke420meme

I think it's fair to say that each person who is homeless is in that situation for individual reasons.

Sure you have people who have crippling alcohol or drug addictions, who just can't get it together.

You also have people who just don't get along with their families or come from an abusive family.

When you are living with your family, you are technically an invited guest or licensee. They can kick you out whenever they want and if you come from an emotionally abusive home, this threat will be used against you a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mental illness, addictions, or parents with mental health issues and addictions, dysfunctionality of all kinds.

What would have happened to someone like him without the supportive girlfriend and family and insight into himself he has https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rorys-Story-Unexpected-Journey-Self-Belief/dp/0717189953 mental health issues, ADHD, gambling issues.

Advertisement