Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mala or Marla!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Why was it called mala?

It sounds like mála - meaning bag in Irish.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Marla (Irish) is plasticine, many people pronounced it marla.

Ruu wrote: »
    Marla (Irish) is plasticine, many people pronounced it marla.

Hi Ruu.

Marla also means 'weakling'.

I always remember calling it mala - pronounced something like MAW-LA.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Maula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I always called it mawla. I had cousins from south Dublin who said it like moorla but I just put it down to their usual Billy Barry way of talking! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I love it when a random query on Boards still hasn't been resolved 7 years later.

Anyways, my contribution. Wiki tells me that plasticine is 'malleable' (which apparently means can be stretched or shaped) so I'm thinking that somehow/somewhere/somewhen that's where the word Mála/Marla originated.

For the record, I always called it Mála and I used to chew it instead of gum and put it back in the box when I was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kratose

Marla....defo...in irish english dictionary. ..my cats name marla

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭richie231069

https://translate.google.ie/?hl=en&tab=wT#auto/ga/plasticine

I used to call it Mala but I was wrong seemingly according to the almighty overlord GOOGLE it's Marla.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

marla. it must have been a department directive for junior infants to play with marla for a certain amount of time per day:pac:

if we were good we got to choose a lump out of a biscuit tin and maybe got about 15 minutes to play with it. most of it was green and there were a few coveted lumps of red and blue.... the simple pleasures...
    It's great for developing fine motor skills, it's still used today, but now with fancy mats. Still ends up as one brown coloured hard lump though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Was just about to say that. I made that mistake when i was in high infant or first class. Teacher asks me "Taispeain dom an Mála?" I go to the press to get the Marla! Never made that mistake again! Still scarred 26 years later! :D

Speaking of irish, did anyone else ever do "Buntús" where comic style irish stories were shown on the projector?
    You're only a young wan. I'm of an age where we had cardboard cut outs with sandpaper on the back so it would stick to a black nylon covered board.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EugenesDIYDen

I thought "mala" was a bag? Or maybe that was "mála" with a fada? They just discovered recently that mala was invented in the Pleistocene Epoch. That's how it got its name.

I thought "mala" was a bag? Or maybe that was "mála" with a fada? They just discovered recently that mala was invented in the Pleistocene Epoch. That's how it got its name.

Yes, 'mala' with a fada is the Irish for bag/satchel. For some odd reason whenever I post Irish words here - not all the letters show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MikeRyan87

It's flipping Marla

Advertisement