Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mala or Marla!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

There was a Mormon girl in our class who got to play with an abacus (woohoo!!!) when we were doing religion. Remember the thick Noddy crayons? Cool-I can remember the smell of wax crayons in my little hot hand after colouring for ages.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

WindSock wrote: »
    One kid in my class used to mix all the colours up to make it brown then stab it with his pencil and call it his pooooo which he'd chase us around the classroom with.

LOL. little boys eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I remember I used to love Transformers but they were expensive whereas my mum would regularly buy us mala so I used to make my own transformers with it, little spindly legs and arms, god they were terrible attempts but they kept me entertained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

javaboy wrote: »
    We should really Irish it up with a fada. Mála ftw!

But would that not just mean "Bag"?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nanook32

It was totally MALA.... Marla is something you say when you're scarlet :D

"Oh jesus, I was only marla!!"

Ah no, i think my teacher used to call it marla... It made me cringe! Mala ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Maulla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

angelika wrote: »
    From here http://www.irishdictionary.ie/dictionary

>>plasticine<<
    TRANSLATION:
    plasticine = n marla m4

We called it marla too. Gaeltacht area (don't know how relevant that is!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

morla :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Milesoneill

We used to call it Márla. Used to love how after a while all the colours used to get mixed up and turn into a sickly grey colour. Great memories of National School when I'd roll out snakes on a wooden craft board witha pattern of holes in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Definitely Marla. Gaeltacht school too. Thinking of the smell brings back memories - I loved it.

Mála is bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

kelle wrote: »
    Definitely Marla. Gaeltacht school too. Thinking of the smell brings back memories - I loved it.

Mála is bag.

Was just about to say that. I made that mistake when i was in high infant or first class. Teacher asks me "Taispeain dom an Mála?" I go to the press to get the Marla! Never made that mistake again! Still scarred 26 years later! :D

Speaking of irish, did anyone else ever do "Buntús" where comic style irish stories were shown on the projector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In my school all the students called it 'mawla' whereas all the teachers called it márla. One of the teachers called it 'moyrla' it souded like a disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

MÁRLA! MÁLA MEANS BAG!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LeSageMignon

I always said Mála, and thought it was just the culchie teachers who said Marla, but a couple of years ago a lecturer from St. Pat's teacher-training college told me that it is in fact Marla. It still sounds wrong to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Its Marla pronounced M A R L A :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We called it Mála, don't ever remember our teacher(s) writing it on the board so never really wondered how it was spelt.

In saying that, the minute we were given the márla we were entranced by it, so if it was written on the board, we were too occupied to take notice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Mawla ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bellitum

All my primary teachers (1950's!) said 'marla' quite clearly. I never heard 'mala' until I came to Dublin. I assumed it was just another Dublin malapropism (e.g.I got it in the Agros catalogue). The connection with the English word 'marl' seems obvious.
    De Bhaldraithe's dictionary (p.532) gives two words for plasticine -Plaistisin (should be a fada on that last 'i'. Can't manage that) agus marla.
    Dineen's Focloir Gaeilge agus Bearla (p.717) translates marla as 'marl, a kind of rich clay; marla buidhe, yellow subsoil'. I don't think they played with marla in 1927 when that dictionary was published.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

this thread made me laugh so much today at work when i was dossing!!
    used to make the basket to and put the handle on top with the little eggs!! hilarious!!! must check out my old national school and see if the still have the marla!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭StandardAngel

I always called it mala but my friend is a primary school teacher and she reckons its called marla!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

MÁRLA

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

I love the way people are "definitely" right

well I am definitely right and the word was "Marla" Facto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

anyone have an image of the box it came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Mauler
    Joshua_Fenton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I was never allowed play with it in school as a child, i was one of them children that liked throwing stuff at teachers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Used to dig up our own crude Mala/Marla in soggy ground,Quite clayey substance maybe Marl.Messy creative fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rumplstillskin

Look up plasticine in the english irish dictionary. translation : marla

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Marla FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

MÁRLA.

Mala is the bastardised modern Irish for Mallow.

Fecking hated when kids squished all the different coloured ones together and all you were left with was sh*tty coloured brown stuff to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Called it marla in the school I went to. And since we're talking about Irish, did anyone else here watch those Muzzy Mór videos in primary school? I remember he ate clocks, and being a 6 year old I was curious about how clocks tasted because he seemed to really enjoy eating the clocks. Glad my curiosity went no further!

Advertisement