Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE ads from the 80s...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Seasan wrote: »
    Was listening to the local radio station(Tipp FM) at work this morning and twas the classical,opera and chant slot,and they played 2 songs which immediately made me remember 2 ads-one of them was used in an old Ragu ad,where he comes home and asks his wife in the kitchen "...so what are we having tonight then?" and she bursts into the song and sings....

"Iiiit's aaa spagheeeettti sauce,it's beauuuutiful for paaasta,
    Siiiit down,it won't be long,it couldn't be much fasterrr.."
    And at the end of the ad,he sings:
    "How about an...early night then..."
    and she sings:
    "Noot in frrrooooont of the kids."

And the other one was "O Fortuna",the one used for the old ads for Old Spice....the ones with the surfer in the water

I remember the Ragu ad, it pops into my head, annoyingly, from time to time. Unfortunately, whenever I hear the music from it on Lyric or wherever, those stupid words are all I can think of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Does anybody remember the Cray or Crea family,who did their own TV ad for Radion washing powder in the late 80s?It was shown a lot on RTÉ television.

Creaghs. From Tramore. Think it was first shown around 1984/1985.

Red-haired children. Appeared to be an irritating bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Creaghs. From Tramore. Think it was first shown around 1984/1985.

Red-haired children. Appeared to be an irritating bunch.

Some of the things I do remember from that ad are when one of the kids comes up to the camera and says something about a brainwave,they are goin trekking or hiking and the kids are singin "Dad doesn't know the wa-ay..."(and of course their clothes get all dirty and smelly),and when the ad is over,one of the older kids bursts out laughing and says "this is a Creagh Family production"....

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Best:

MeeHall Angelo and his yellow boxes.
    Yer man with the lumbago and changing lanes in the car. If you had the only car in the world ...
    shake and vac
    the army one with a 5th of beethoven

Worst:

The aforementoned crone with the salmonella chopping board (usually they liked to play all her ads in one go) Put me right off my bosco.

Some of the things I do remember from that ad are when one of the kids comes up to the camera and says something about a brainwave,they are goin trekking or hiking and the kids are singin "Dad doesn't know the wa-ay..."(and of course their clothes get all dirty and smelly),and when the ad is over,one of the older kids bursts out laughing and says "this is a Creagh Family production"....

That brings it all back. We used say "f*ck off" when we saw their ad appear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Remember the army recruitment ad with the disco take on Beethoven?It's the second one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

This:

the lemsip laughing policeman
    catch chocolate bar - first its crispy then its creamy- catch!!!
    cola cadet marching bottles

"Bring me apples,bring me honey,
    Bring me hazelnuts,bring me wheat,
    Bring me lots of good things to eat,
    Bring me Kelloggs Country Store".

"I WANT MY LIIIGAA!!
    Children these days....so demanding!"

"God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay,
    Pick up your phone and call direct-there is no better way
    For family and friends your xmas greetings to display,
    Tis much easier to ring out the old year,and ring in the new,
    Merry xmas from Telecom(Éireann) to you."

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

"Bring me apples,bring me honey,
    Bring me hazelnuts,bring me wheat,
    Bring me lots of good things to eat,
    Bring me Kelloggs Country Store".

"I WANT MY LIIIGAA!!
    Children these days....so demanding!"

"God rest ye merry gentlemen,let nothing ye dismay,
    Pick up your phone and call direct-there is no better way
    For family and friends your xmas greetings to display,
    Tis much easier to ring out the old year,and ring in the new,
    Merry xmas from Telecom(Éireann) to you."
    I'd totaly forgotten about that animated Liga ad.The mother prattling on about how great it is and the kid getting more and more impatient till he roars out that line.Laughing my head off now.

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'd totaly forgotten about that animated Liga ad.The mother prattling on about how great it is and the kid getting more and more impatient till he roars out that line.Laughing my head off now.

Was that Rosaleen Linehan in the Liga Ad?

• Advertisement

Eeden wrote: »
    Was that Rosaleen Linehan in the Liga Ad?
    Could well have been,it was very much in her dramatic style.

"I now know who killed Madame Doyle-mes amis,it was muhmuhmuhmuhmuh......
    You'll never know,when the nibbles will strike!"
    (ad for KP nuts I think)

"Justa one Corrrnettooo,geev eet too meee,
    Dee-lee-cious ice crrream frrrom Eee-ta-lee,
    Vaneeella and chocolate crrream,
    Geev mee Corrrnettoo from HB ice crrre-ee-am!!"

"Níl aon tinteán mar do Homestead fhéin-fiúntas ag teacht abhaile.
    Homestead,fiúntas ag teacht chun tí."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Spoken by Laurie Morton (wife of David Kelly).

Always played middle-aged or old crones.

My image of that ad was she slapped the girl for standing too close to the fire. Could be wrong though!

road_high wrote: »
    My image of that ad was she slapped the girl for standing too close to the fire. Could be wrong though!
    Don't think she slapped her but she did give her a bollocking,don't do that you'll burn yourself or words to that effect in a very stern voice.She used to scare me especially as she reminded me of a strict aunt of mine.

Don't think she slapped her but she did give her a bollocking,don't do that you'll burn yourself or words to that effect in a very stern voice.She used to scare me especially as she reminded me of a strict aunt of mine.

I think she sounded like she was vexed all through that ad if I remember rightly...
    "....IS-148;now that might sound like a robot,but it could save your child's life-if this number is not on the label,the nightie could go up in flames,and your child along with it-so if this number isn't on it,then DON'T BUY IT!! Here you go love....."

Sorry if this ad has already been mentioned,but I heard the local radio station yesterday evening playin the full version of the tune from the Bórd Na Móna bricquettes ad-the one where he is playing the tune on the fiddle,the kids are warming their feet at the fire and there are people dancing to the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sorry if this ad has already been mentioned,but I heard the local radio station yesterday evening playin the full version of the tune from the Bórd Na Móna bricquettes ad-the one where he is playing the tune on the fiddle,the kids are warming their feet at the fire and there are people dancing to the music.
    This it?

delw wrote: »

That's EXACTLY it. :-) ;-)

• Advertisement

Apologies for that last post going up 3 times-my browser is gone haywire

Apologies for that last post going up 3 times-my browser is gone haywire

This is worth watching for the Murphys ad near the beginning featuring Oliver Tobias of The Stud fame.

Heres an RTE ad break from 1980.I don't remember Sport Scene.I'm assuming it was a forerunner to Sports Stadium?

^^^ interesting stuff! The fact that paint was so scientific! I know that Colm Wilkinson did some of the the Sqeez (sic) ads but not sure if that one was him. And the weird 10-second ads!

• Advertisement

This is worth watching for the Murphys ad near the beginning featuring Oliver Tobias of The Stud fame.

A mish-mash of plenty. Most of it dates from April / May 1982.

Heres an RTE ad break from 1980.I don't remember Sport Scene.I'm assuming it was a forerunner to Sports Stadium?

No. Sports Stadium was on the go since at least the mid 1970s.

Sport Scene was broadcast on Sunday nights between October and May. It predominately focused on GAA and sometimes soccer. The Sunday Game took over once the championship started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

^^^ interesting stuff! The fact that paint was so scientific! I know that Colm Wilkinson did some of the the Sqeez (sic) ads but not sure if that one was him. And the weird 10-second ads!

I loved the shot of the Aer Lingus plane to show us that they're bringing the paint over from America. It must have cost a fair whack if they were transporting it by plane :D

Heres some more old 80's ads at the start of this clip.The only one I can remember is the the Heinekin ad with yer wan taking pics of the arabs.

Heres the result of some more Youtube trawling.Thats a great one for Mr Sheen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jaysus, a crappy Radio 2 digital watch for £9.95. That would have been a lot of money back in the 1980's.

Excuse me if I'm in a Youtube posting frenzy this morning but this has the Harp Vikings ad,albeit in a shorter edited version without the shots of the Vikings coming in on their longboat and the locals fleeing in terror.The poster who put this up has loads of other retro TV stuff including a lot interesting old RTE clips well worth checking out.

October 1984 I'd say - based on the date of Todds sale.

Heres some more old 80's ads at the start of this clip.The only one I can remember is the the Heinekin ad with yer wan taking pics of the arabs.

Jeez, that sounds like Colm CT Wilkinson on the Sadolin ad, too! Didn't realise he did that much ad work.

Theres another long lost classic at the start for Busker Bars.

I think someone was on here a while back looking for the Telecom Eireann ad at the beginning.Ad break is from 87 not 89.

"Mrs.Mulligan is lighting her fire with an inferior firelighter,much to the disgust of Twinky.
    Nextdoor,Mrs.Maguire is lighting her fire with Zip.
    Zip lights faster and burns longer than any other firelighter.
    Meanwhile,back at Mrs.Mulligan's,the fire has gone out-and so too has Twinky.
    While Mrs.Maguire....has a fire!!

Zip.In tests,9 out of 10 cats preferred it."

Remember the animated ad for Batchelors Beans?
    Barney and Beaney were agents for the FBI(Finest Beans in Ireland),and they were tackling The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans,and they save a poor housewife from eating Mean Beans by exposing The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans using the Mean Bean Machine.....

I think that was the first time Barney and Beaney were ever given voices!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Remember yer man "Rashers" who used to advertise Galtee rashers on the telly in the mid 80's?He'd do a sort of rap "My name is Rashers ,see?".For some reason my older brother used to hate him.Anytime that ad came on he'd say he'd love to beat the **** out of that guy.

And the ads keep flashing back...
    Anybody remember an Irish language ad about paint-either Dulux or Crown,from around early or mid 80s?
    The ad finished with the line:
    "Is Fearr Liom É"(or maybe "Is Fearr Liom Í")
    I can remember that me wan who did that ad did not sound good at all,quite bad actually-she spoke like somebody who was not good at Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Remember the animated ad for Batchelors Beans?
    Barney and Beaney were agents for the FBI(Finest Beans in Ireland),and they were tackling The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans,and they save a poor housewife from eating Mean Beans by exposing The Mean Gombeen and his Mean Beans using the Mean Bean Machine.....

I think that was the first time Barney and Beaney were ever given voices!
    I seem to vaguely remember seeing an old Batchelors bean tin in my Grandmothers shed years ago which had kind of stick men in the spot where Beany and Barney would be,they kind of looked like that figure that appeared at the start of the TV series The Saint.They were probably a proto Beany and Barney.

"Barney, do you remember?
    Dinners in the good old days
    They used to taste so good always"

(Batchelors Marrowfat Peas!)

Look what I spotted on Donedeal.The two boyos themselves.

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-24286564.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭onform

Look what I spotted on Donedeal.The two boyos themselves.

http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-24286564.jpeg

I suppose you could call them 'Has beans'...

I'd never seen this one before.Mick O Dwyer and Frank Kelly plugging milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Theres another long lost classic at the start for Busker Bars.

It's the same guy doing the voice overs for all of ads, talk about cheap :pac:

"SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS EATING A TOFFEE CRISP".

Remember those? :-) :-)
    Just seeing packets of Toffee Crisp bars in the shop made an ad come racing back to me-they are sitting around a table having a seance,the scary woman is saying "Sidney,are you there Sidney?Speak to us Sidney...." ,and then a munching sound is heard,the lamp shade starts shaking and a Toffee Crisp wrapper floats down onto the table....

"SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS EATING A TOFFEE CRISP".

Remember those? :-) :-)
    Just seeing packets of Toffee Crisp bars in the shop made an ad come racing back to me-they are sitting around a table having a seance,the scary woman is saying "Sidney,are you there Sidney?Speak to us Sidney...." ,and then a munching sound is heard,the lamp shade starts shaking and a Toffee Crisp wrapper floats down onto the table....

Wasn't there one where an empty Toffee Crisp wrapper came out of an ATM instead of cash?

Wasn't there one where an empty Toffee Crisp wrapper came out of an ATM instead of cash?

Yes,indeed there was!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Jim figgerty back in 1969
    pixel.gif

‘Jim Figgerty’, the man who put the figs in fig rolls, returns to Jacobs after a three-month absence and is mobbed by fans. Part of a hugely successful marketing campaign based on the question ‘How do Jacobs get the figs in the fig roles?’ Figgerty, and his sidekick, Habibi, (who asked the question in French) became part of the national consciousness..19.03.1969

Advertisement