Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another single thread

Options
  • 20-10-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know people write these sort of posts on a regular basis and the situation with Covid isnt helping things. I just feel so frustrated with life right now.

Im just so lonely and truly sick of being single. I'm 37, female and bar one 4 year relationship in my late 20s, I have been single my whole life. I have a good job and good friends and family but none of this fills the void that exists from not having an intimate and romantic partner.

I look around and it seems like other people have had no problem finding a partner. I can't shake the feeling that there is something wrong with me.  Am I too fussy? Are my standards too high? Am I ugly? Have I got a sh*t personality? Am I zero craic?

I dont have problems being by myself. In fact I quiet enjoy it for the most part. I live alone and I have a fairly introverted personality. But this doesnt mean I dont get lonely.

I have tried all the dating apps and I have gone on lots of dates. It just seems that anyone I'm interested in, doesn't have an interest in me. And anyone who is interested in me, I generally dont feel attracted to them in a romantic way. Even with some of these men, I've given it time and tried to see if some of these feelings would grow over time. However in these instances, Ive found myself sort of forcing myself to feel feelings which arent there. Invariably,  this just leads to me feeling crap about myself and also isnt fair on the men.

I suppose these frustrations have come to a head as I recently went on a date with a man. When we met, I felt there was chemistry and was very attracted to him. And it seemed like he liked me too. The date went well and there were lots of signs he was into it. He even sat there discussing with me when and how we could meet up again. I left that date feeling great only to check tinder 2 days later to see he had deleted me. I sent him a text message just asking why he had done that and saying that I'd enjoyed myself on the date and asking him if he had felt differently (maybe that was a bit brazen but i just feel too jaded from it all be sitting at home wondering if he is going to text. Id rather just be upfront and honest at this stage.) Anyway he replied saying he had a good time but didnt want anything serious at then moment. I feel so low now. Logically I know that it is no reflection on me and hes entitled to want what he wants. But still. It sucks. Its like the 1st person in a long time that I fancy has just blanked me.

I feel like life is passing me by. I have nobody to share any enjoyments with. Last year I took the plunge and went on a few weekends away by myself. I enjoyed seeing the new places and the change in scenery was nice but I was bored for parts of the trips. There was noone to chat with over dinner or a drink. Any walk I went on during the last lockdown- I did alone. Any walk that I want to go on during this next lockdown - I'll be doing alone. I wake up every morning alone. I go sleep every night alone. I eat most of my meals alone. I flick through Netflix alone. There is no physical intimacy in my life whatsoever and that makes me so sad. There are no lazy weekends spent in bed, having sex, chatting, having fun.

Also, it also plays on my mind that if I'm going to have children, I'm approaching the end of my ability to do this. If youd asked me about kids 10 years, I would have said 110% I want them. But as time slips by, I can feel that dream getting further and further away and I've nearly started preparing myself not having them is a very strong possibility. That's makes me sad but I also feel I'm setting myself to not be disappointed if it doesnt happen.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post even is. I feel better having written it down though. I feel a bit stupid as well to be honest. That text from that guy has really sent me into a spiral it seems. Which I know is ridiculous at the age of 37. The impact of covid and new lockdown is probably affecting my mood as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I'm sorry you're feeling so down and bad about this. Everything is so hard now with the lockdown news and being single this year has become another level of complicated.

What I can tell you is that you're not "too" much of anything or "not enough." Being single doesn't mean a single thing about your self worth or who you are or what you're offering. Living in scarcity mode like this doesn't just impact on your mental health, self-esteem etc but it affects how you carry yourself in the world. It affects who you draw into your life and how others will treat you. Blame, shame, perceived lack, "what's wrong with me" only leads to more of the same. It's a totally counterproductive way to exist in the world. Working to change this self perception will change everything.

I've been single most of my life too. Two longterm relationships, the most recent of which threw me into a spiral of all of these negative emotions. I went into every dating scenario with a level of intensity I only recognise now, a few years into therapy and looking at things differently. I brought two things with me that were counter-productive, 1. how this person responds to me is vital to my validation that I am enough / worthy, because I can't give that to myself; and 2. red flags are irrelevant / overseen because I fancy this guy and my need to meet someone is intolerable. It led to situations like the guy you recently met, where I internalised their lack of interest or lashed out and was in a perpetual pattern of heartache and pain from dating guys that were never right for me in the first place. I was dating with a "please let this person like me/be the right person for me" mentality, rather than what I have now which is a general liking and respect for myself and my single life. And "let's see what this guy is like."

I met someone great recently who appreciates me, sees me and is committed to me. It's early doors and it feels completely different to dating in scarcity mode where everything is hard and dramatic and painful because I couldn't see the wood for the trees. And more importantly, I'll be fine if it works out and fine if it doesn't. Because I no longer look externally for what I can give to myself, which is compassion, understanding and unconditional acceptance. The net result of this is I'm drawing a different type of person in, because I've no time for the red flag guys anymore.

Does any of this resonate? I read your post and felt a lot of pain. A lot of "this is my fault" and "if I was X Y Z" and "it's so easy for everyone else." Blame, shame, comparison. Yes, some people meet their partners young, easily, does that guarantee a life of happiness? Absolutely not. They might look at you with your great job, house, all that free time to invest in yourself etc. Comparison is the thief of joy and we never have the full picture. What can you do today to begin the journey of feeling better about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I read your post and it could be the post of loads of women, you are thinking too much about this issue in your life. All the time you are walking alone and spending time alone you could be caring for someone else or thinking abut someone else. You actually need something to care about and even though i will be attacked for this a rescue dog would give you soo much and then you would probably lose the self doubt and the real you would come out and who knows. A creature who needs love and care and walks and who will snuggle up on your couch will take away this emptiness in your life thats if you are a person who likes animals and has empathy for them.

Otherwise do something out side your self like joining a group who visit the elderly. Doing something outside your bubble of self might trigger a different attitude. A lot of women today and i blame social media spend hours thinking about themselves whereas women in the past were never like this they thought about everyone else and maybe you need to do this too.

I have friends who are in the exact same space as you and modern living is really to blame if you need to blame something. But ultimately the obsessive bubble of self is stealing our potential move out of the bubble - men look for women with substance, with individual thoughts and kindness nurture some of this and you will thrive. P.S get off tinder its the most destructive tool in the world guaranteed to kill your self esteem. Stop looking for a man its smells of desperation and you are not able to read the signs when you are desperate. Hope my words have some meaning for you , i am a woman too .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Hey op. Just wanna same I'm in the same boat as u. It's so crap isn't it. I feel as though I'm almost forgotten about. It feels like everyone else is coupled up or married with kids. And that I must be boring or give off a "stay away from me" Vibe. I probably do.

Ur not alone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

I know one thing for sure, that what you focus on will grow. I know single people who think about this, talk about this, blog about this, vlog about this and in general spend quite a lot of their physical, mental and emotional energy on this subject. The result is that it gets bigger and bigger in their lives, its like something they drag around with them perpetually. You have to focus your mind and your energy elsewhere, let it go. Dont be one of those people who will only stop fixating on this when they get into a relationship, let go of it now, everything in your life will improve if you do. You need to find a purpose in life, something that consumes your energies so that you dont even think about what you believe is deficient. If you dont know what that purpose is, you have to look for it. Keep looking until you find it. And you will if you dont give up. Life will take care of everything else. I know you might not believe that from the perspective you have right now but I promise that if you stop focusing on this and instead use all that energy to pursue a purpose in life, things will work out in your favor. You'll meet people you could never have imagined you'd meet and who knows where it will take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Would you consider going the sperm donor route and try to have a child alone? Do you have a supportive family?

• Advertisement

Would you consider going the sperm donor route and try to have a child alone? Do you have a supportive family?

the women is depressed about being alone and you think having a child by a sperm donor wont make her feel even more isolated?? New mothers can be the unhappiest people in the world she doesn't need that . That's not a very constructive suggestion at all rethink that one.....a sperm donor usually from Scandinavia according to reports FFS the girl want a virtual hug not a nightmare !!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Well married life is not a bed of roses either.working all hours god sends too pay the bills ain't no fun.
    Maybe expand your circle of friends or do sumthing totally different too meet new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP- I can empathise with a lot of what you're saying. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so down and fed up about this issue. I think it's especially hard in lockdown. For the first time ever I am actually glad to be living at home at the moment, despite trying to get on the property ladder- living at home alone and WFH would get to anyone (not sure if you're WFH, but it's hard in general to live alone right now I think).

I think people can overthink this issue. I'm 33, female and have been single for over 5 years now. I think it's as simple as, I haven't met anyone I've liked enough to want to pursue a serious relationship with. That's it. That's all there is to it. It is no reflection on me as a person, no reflection of my worth. Occasionally, like yourself, I've met someone there was a spark with and they've made their excuses after a date I thought went well. It happens. Allow yourself to feel a bit miffed about it for maybe a day, and then make yourself move on.

I do think if a relationship is what someone wants, they have to put effort into making it happen, but there's also only so much you can do. I'd like to aim for going on a date once every 3/4 weeks, I'd be happy with that. I do also get a little down about it sometimes, but more from a place of "this is something I would like and it's just not happening" rather than, "I have failed at this"- because you haven't! The people who fall madly in love with their ideal partner are incredibly lucky. In my experience, life is a lot more complicated.

Until I meet a man I enjoy spending time with as much as my very best friends, what's the point in stressing? I do agree there can be slow burn romances too, and it's good that you tried that a few times, but again, it's not a reflection on you that it just didn't click.

Sorry if I'm rambling now, I just hate that this is something women feel such stress and pressure over. We're made feel since we are little girls that you grow up, get married and have kids- that's what life is. I've only ever had one or two people in my life who've put pressure on me to settle down and it used to bother me, but now I look at their attitude as a reflection of their own beliefs and values that have been ingrained in them, not as a reflection of me. They are projecting onto me what they believe makes a person happy- and often, it doesn't.

The gist of what I'm saying is- keep doing what you're doing, and try to find a way to make peace with your life as it is, without looking ahead to the next 10/20/30 years. Easier said than done I know. And if children are really important to you, maybe do look into making it happen alone? I know a woman who did this recently at 45, and she's as happy as she's ever been. It doesn't have to be as scary as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

the women is depressed about being alone and you think having a child by a sperm donor wont make her feel even more isolated?? New mothers can be the unhappiest people in the world she doesn't need that . That's not a very constructive suggestion at all rethink that one.....a sperm donor usually from Scandinavia according to reports FFS the girl want a virtual hug not a nightmare !!

She stated she's always wanted children... And that her window is running out. I'm just throwing it out there as a suggestion. May or may not be for her but something she should consider or investigate if it's of interest surely depending on her situation and feelings on the topic? Are scandinavian sperms especially nightmarish?! :D

She stated she's always wanted children... And that her window is running out. I'm just throwing it out there as a suggestion. May or may not be for her but something she should consider or investigate if it's of interest surely depending on her situation and feelings on the topic? Are scandinavian sperms especially nightmarish?! :D
    Well if it was me i would prefer to have celtic genes in my child!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I'm 35 and single and identify with a lot of what you've posted. I have gotten past a lot of the 'what's wrong with me?' stuff recently, and that's helped a lot. I've realised there's nothing at all wrong with me. I simply haven't met the right person yet, and maybe never will. That doesn't make me broken or defective. In fact, I'm starting to realise that it's not that other people are better or more attractive, but a lot of them are just willing to put up with a hell of a lot more sh*t than I am and stay in relationships I would have run a mile from.

I've been having proper conversations with people since lockdown started. People I would have only previously had small talk with - work colleagues, friends who hadn't been close before this. And it's been totally eye opening to see the reality of most people's relationships. Many of these people are downright miserable. You see pictures on social media and feel so jealous, but the reality is often totally different. There's one girl at work I was really envious of, she's been married a good few years, lives in a beautiful home in the countryside, goes on glamorous holidays with her rich banker husband...turns out she's really unhappy with him, they actually split up for 9 months last year (nobody at work knew) and she was seeing someone else, they got back together but she feels so lonely and they barely talk, she has a serious illness and he's not supportive and refuses to even talk about it. I never would have guessed. And there are other cases like this. Some people I've been chatting to are genuinely very happy with their partners, but I'd say they're in the minority.

I know it's so hard not to compare your life to other people's and think they're so much better off, but honestly, they're often not. It's just such a waste of time and energy to be thinking and obsessing like that - I'd know because I've been there. What's helped me is focusing on things day by day. There's no point in worrying about when or if I'll meet someone because we're in a pandemic and I don't know when I'll be alright to date again, so I'm choosing to just focus on myself and do things I enjoy. I've just had a lovely cosy day working from home with loads of tea and biscuits and a blanket, I've cooked myself a lovely dinner and had it with a glass of my favourite wine, I'm about to watch a film on Netflix and then I'll read more of my book in bed with hot chocolate and relaxing music on. Yes, it's a bit lonely and I'd love to meet someone compatible, but I'd much rather have this than having endless arguments with a partner or having to deal with a crying newborn with a husband who won't lift a finger to help. I've started to really just enjoy the fact that I can do whatever I want, whenever I feel like it without answering to anyone and that's pretty special in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You were so right to text him and find out why he deleted you, good on you. If more people were as upfront maybe those types who have no respect wouldnt be so quick to ghost others without a second thought! I definitely think that getting older brings about a certain level of confidence and with that comes the ability to unashamedly say what you want, call people out and express your feelings! That in itself is so attractive, mature and a great quality to have.

That said I think you are idealising relationships, lots of people are happy in their relationships but id take a bet that most people really arent, you dont get to see what goes on behind closed doors. My aunties husband cheats on her all the time, from the outside they look like a happy, strong middle aged couple. A woman I know who owns a business in the town with her husband, has 3 small children, is sleeping with a married man she employs from time to time, infact shes had a string of affairs. She regularly posts happy statuses about her husband and photos of their wedding day 'The best day of her life' apparently.
    My best friend has been with her partner for 15 years, on social media they look so inlove. Behind closed doors she cheats on him constantly, we went out before lockdown, she disappeared for half an hour on the night out, she was having sex with a strange married man in a disability toilet that she had just met in the smoking area. She spends all her partners money and when her and her partner drink together they physically fight.
    I know divorcees that married their second partner in their 60's, people who married in their 20's and 30's who've divorced a few years later. An acquaintance met her fiance a year ago at 38 and where meant to get married this year.
    You dont know what way your life is going to go and to be very honest, relationships are over rated. Ive had quite a few relationships and I can honestly say ive been happier and felt more at peace while single that in a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Can sympathise with the OP’s post from my perspective as a guy almost 40 who finds singledom and the whole dating experience increasingly hopeless and soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭fran38

Yup, what you wrote OP has me going "Me me and me". Early 50s and the road ahead is looking stark in terms of meeting someone to settle down with. Its not just you women that get anxious over this. Im at my wits end. I thought i found someone but that ended up like an episode of 'The Twilight Zone'. You can read it on Relationship issues "how do i process this" or something, i forget the exact thread title.
    I have no words of comfort for you, coz if i hsd id be using them on myself lol.
    God bless and stay safe.

There was a time when women settled for the man up the road but just like chocolate bars we have to much choice these days and no one is good enough anymore. He must be beefed up handsome blah blah blah. In my time men who didnt necessarily like women settled down and had families and life went on children were born and no one was any the wiser to the unhappiness of the women or the men.

In modern society these latent men dont need to marry anymore they can be themselves so the pond of men has reduced considerably therefore less available men and the modern man is not like our fathers he is too busy moisturizing his face to learn how to do the house hold repairs. So not only are there less men those left are not great either. So do stop worrying about being alone its ok you just need to realise why? ( less suitable men ) and live with it, once you realize this its like drowning peaceful once you give up the struggle. A woman on her own is a powerful source and can learn to all she needs to do to survive so keep the faith and learn to love being who you are, a full person not half of a couple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Something has gone terribly wrong with the western world as so many people are single and childless.

I'm male and in my 30s and single. The future looks bleak for me.

Sorry op I have no advice or comfort to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pigsaw wrote: »
    Something has gone terribly wrong with the western world as so many people are single and childless.

I'm male and in my 30s and single. The future looks bleak for me.

Sorry op I have no advice or comfort to give.

Yes, we should go back to the days where people married and had children at a young age with the first person they met, because that always ended happily ever after.
    What's so bleak about it anyway? You can wallow in the fact that you're single or you can try to enjoy your life. Once the sheen of a new relationship wears off it's tough enough going sometimes to keep things on track anyway, and most coupled up people long for the days when the world was your oyster and you could do whatever you wanted without considering someone else.
    With your attitude you'll be single for a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Yes, we should go back to the days where people married and had children at a young age with the first person they met, because that always ended happily ever after.
    What's so bleak about it anyway? You can wallow in the fact that you're single or you can try to enjoy your life. Once the sheen of a new relationship wears off it's tough enough going sometimes to keep things on track anyway, and most coupled up people long for the days when the world was your oyster and you could do whatever you wanted without considering someone else.
    With your attitude you'll be single for a long time.

What so bad about being alone and having no love, no intimacy, no companionship, no marriage, no children?

But hey at least we're not like the stupid old peope in the past amirite?

Also, how on earth do you know 'most' coupled up people yearn to be single? Sounds like you're trying to cope with your own singledom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I feel what your saying OP. Im in my 40s and seperated about 4 years ago. You'll get through it believe me. Stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Similar age profile OP, but I can't offer any pearls of wisdom I'm afraid. I've turned my life on its head in the past two months, and I'm actually so happy I only have myself to consider.

There have always been single people in society of every age, and while it's not the OP I'm addressing here, it's some of the many respondents she's got, there is nothing wrong with being single for your lifetime if that's what you want. It's not being picky, or wanting something you're not entitled to. We all have the right to love who we want to, and intimating that there's a flaw in a single person that keeps them single is ridiculous. There are people you're compatible with and people you're not, for a vast and complex range of reasons. If you're going to debate the merits of why single people are single, you'll be dead before you finish.

• Advertisement

Correct being single is no longer a stigma but you do still have to be brave to admit you are single and its a great life to the relationship nazis who try to make you feel like a leper.

Correct being single is no longer a stigma but you do still have to be brave to admit you are single and its a great life to the relationship nazis who try to make you feel like a leper.

I really don't think you do. Being single is totally normal. If someone tries to make you feel like a leper just because you don't have a romantic partner, they are the one with issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I really don't think you do. Being single is totally normal. If someone tries to make you feel like a leper just because you don't have a romantic partner, they are the one with issues.

That's actually easier said than done, you'd be surprised how negative it's seen in society

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's actually easier said than done, you'd be surprised how negative it's seen in society

I mean, I'm single, so I would know. I think anyone who thinks I'm lesser because I don't have a partner is an absolute narrow minded sap, and I don't care about their opinion. It's a good way of filtering people, even. I don't want to be around people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I cant relate op, im single and love it this way. to me it seems like the best way to live. in the job I do I meet a lot of women and date them the odd time, havent met anyone that i would settle down with. I 100% never want kids. if i do start a relationship with someone and it doesnt work out, so what, i will just start another one without having to get separated, divorced etc. pros of being single, no fights, no going to their friends boring weddings or parties, no freedom to up sticks and move country, more money, more free time to spend on hobbies, nights out where you never know who you might meet, the list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

OP , my sister was thirty six before she met her fiance , she earns over 100 k per annum and lives in dublin 4

some people are simply less lucky , its just logical that not everyone will meet someone quick

dont be hard on yourself about it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pigsaw wrote: »
    What so bad about being alone and having no love, no intimacy, no companionship, no marriage, no children?

I don't mean to be harsh. But something being harsh doesn't mean it will change.

OP I think you have to accept its ok to be alone.

I mean even if you DONT feel ok about it.

There is no guarantee you will find someone. So i think you have to make the best life you can for yourself single. And adapt emotionally to that.

I am not saying it WONT happen for you. But it might not.

You can't control that.

You have to get yourself into a situation where you are happy alone because there are no certainties.

I am not advising you to be happy with being single.

I am advising you to be mentally tough and positive so you can deal with your situation. Being happy about it will probably be a by product of that though.

And OP it sounds like someone would be lucky to have you! I mean you sound SO much more interesting than me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP,
    I read your post and it is honestly just like reading about myself. Except I'm a year older, and I've never had a relationship. So I have even more of those feelings of shame and sadness. I work from home and live alone, so I've found this year tough, the limited face to face interaction. I really crave some affection also. Its hard after all these years. Just so you know you aren't alone.

I think there were a couple of good posts in response.
    I've been in a vicious circle of negativity and sadness and shame for a long while now, and I'm only starting to realise that my feelings about myself, ie my self esteem, confidence etc are the big problem.
    These things can radiate and off course I'm not going to draw in the right people.
    I know it's hard to keep the chin up, but I do think it's the only way.
    Like others have said, find a purpose, work on yourself, be nice to yourself, and just try to change how you feel about yourself, your status, and your future. After that it really is up to the gods. Hopefully it'll just be a case of finding Mr Right then.
    Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

I know people write these sort of posts on a regular basis and the situation with Covid isnt helping things. I just feel so frustrated with life right now.

Im just so lonely and truly sick of being single. I'm 37, female and bar one 4 year relationship in my late 20s, I have been single my whole life. I have a good job and good friends and family but none of this fills the void that exists from not having an intimate and romantic partner.

I look around and it seems like other people have had no problem finding a partner. I can't shake the feeling that there is something wrong with me.  Am I too fussy? Are my standards too high? Am I ugly? Have I got a sh*t personality? Am I zero craic?

I dont have problems being by myself. In fact I quiet enjoy it for the most part. I live alone and I have a fairly introverted personality. But this doesnt mean I dont get lonely.

I have tried all the dating apps and I have gone on lots of dates. It just seems that anyone I'm interested in, doesn't have an interest in me. And anyone who is interested in me, I generally dont feel attracted to them in a romantic way. Even with some of these men, I've given it time and tried to see if some of these feelings would grow over time. However in these instances, Ive found myself sort of forcing myself to feel feelings which arent there. Invariably,  this just leads to me feeling crap about myself and also isnt fair on the men.

I suppose these frustrations have come to a head as I recently went on a date with a man. When we met, I felt there was chemistry and was very attracted to him. And it seemed like he liked me too. The date went well and there were lots of signs he was into it. He even sat there discussing with me when and how we could meet up again. I left that date feeling great only to check tinder 2 days later to see he had deleted me. I sent him a text message just asking why he had done that and saying that I'd enjoyed myself on the date and asking him if he had felt differently (maybe that was a bit brazen but i just feel too jaded from it all be sitting at home wondering if he is going to text. Id rather just be upfront and honest at this stage.) Anyway he replied saying he had a good time but didnt want anything serious at then moment. I feel so low now. Logically I know that it is no reflection on me and hes entitled to want what he wants. But still. It sucks. Its like the 1st person in a long time that I fancy has just blanked me.

I feel like life is passing me by. I have nobody to share any enjoyments with. Last year I took the plunge and went on a few weekends away by myself. I enjoyed seeing the new places and the change in scenery was nice but I was bored for parts of the trips. There was noone to chat with over dinner or a drink. Any walk I went on during the last lockdown- I did alone. Any walk that I want to go on during this next lockdown - I'll be doing alone. I wake up every morning alone. I go sleep every night alone. I eat most of my meals alone. I flick through Netflix alone. There is no physical intimacy in my life whatsoever and that makes me so sad. There are no lazy weekends spent in bed, having sex, chatting, having fun.

Also, it also plays on my mind that if I'm going to have children, I'm approaching the end of my ability to do this. If youd asked me about kids 10 years, I would have said 110% I want them. But as time slips by, I can feel that dream getting further and further away and I've nearly started preparing myself not having them is a very strong possibility. That's makes me sad but I also feel I'm setting myself to not be disappointed if it doesnt happen.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post even is. I feel better having written it down though. I feel a bit stupid as well to be honest. That text from that guy has really sent me into a spiral it seems. Which I know is ridiculous at the age of 37. The impact of covid and new lockdown is probably affecting my mood as well.

I'm 42 and in exactly the same boat. It's not pleasant.

Yes, I try to do everything to help myself but it's the sheer lonliness and lack of physcial contact that is so difficult (for me anyway).

Here for you just no words of comfort really, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

Longtime single person here heading towards 40. I can relate to everything that's been said so far. Found that friends started dropping off not when they got married but once they started having kids. Now if I want to meet friends, it's usually going to their house and being around loads of other couples. Which I dread. So I find myself avoid these meetups more and more and probably isolating myself further.

When friends or work colleagues ask questions like "Any plans for Christmas?" etc., they're just being polite and also fishing for a bit of info I guess on my relationship status. It's just natural to ask. But I notice they must feel pity for me in the way that they ask. Like I'm probably tragic.

Yes, I would like kids at some point and a relationship but I'm unsure if I could put up with someone 24/7. I usually feel worn out after spending time with people, even if it's with people who I like. So who knows what the future holds.

Advertisement