Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's definitely "House 32........Place"

Could it possibly be Willis..spelled "Willeus" I'm seeing "W....eus" anyway.

That's what I'm seeing too.

Is there such a place?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Griffinx wrote: »
    Could it be Willis Place? you'd need to cross reference with District 4 area coverage

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/placenames/streetnamesbilinguallist/w/

The death occurred in cork DLA, dispensary district 4. The home address could be anywhere in cork city or county.

The street names in 1882 could be different to today, either by renaming or demolition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

It looks like Warren's Place, now Parnell Place, Cork city centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vetch wrote: »
    It looks like Warren's Place, now Parnell Place, Cork city centre.

Yes. I think it might be written Wearens place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Cork streets/lanes beginning with W - Wellington Place is the only street name starting with a W and ending in place - there were families in Wellington Place in the 1901 census, no Doolans [from http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/genealogy/oldlanesandalleysofcork/#w]; the Post Office Directory 1842 has a Warren's Place http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1842jackson/jacksondirectory1842corrected.pdf
    Waggett’s Lane St Mary Widderlington’s Lane
    Walshe’s Lane St Mary, Shandon off Cattle lane
    Walshe’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Thomas Davis Street, east
    Warham’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Wellington Road
    Warren’s Lane St Finbar off Bandon Road
    Warren’s Row St Nicholas off Cove Street
    Water Lane St Anne, Shandon Now Seminary Road
    Water Lane St Finbar off Gillabbey Street
    Waugh’s Terrace St Mary, Shandon off City Gaol Road
    Weaver’s Alley St Anne, Shandon off John Street
    Weigh House Lane see Old Weigh House Lane
    Well Lane St Anne, Shandon off Glanmire Road, Lower
    Well Lane St Anne, Shandon off Gerald Griffin Avenue
    Wellington Place St Nicholas off Mary Street
    Wellington Place St Anne, Shandon off St Patrick’s Hill
    Wherland’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Thomas Davis Street, west
    Widderlington’s Lane St Mary, Shandon off Pope’s Quay
    Wise’s Lane St Mary, Shandon Near Cattlemarket Street
    Wood’s Alley St Finbar off Wood’s Lane near Lancaster Quay
    Wood’s Lane St Finbar off Lancaster Quay
    Wood’s Lane St Peter off Sheare’s Street (formerly Nile Street)
    Wood’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Thomas Davis Street
    Wood’s Lane Holy Trinity Between 19-20 South Main Street
    Wrixon’s Lane St Anne, Shandon off Gerald Griffin Avenue. Peacock Lane was the former name of Gerald Griffin Avenue.
    Wycherley’s Alley St Anne, Shandon off Gerald Griffin Avenue

That's very good of you KildareFan.

I've run into a problem now with a child born after this woman's death so I may have the wrong death record. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I've run into a problem now with a child born after this woman's death so I may have the wrong death record. :(

Hate that!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think the first two letters are W and a (the small a looks like the capital A in asylum in the previous column).

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

Hi, would really appreciate any help interpreting the details regarding the last record in attached image for William Cushion. Particularly difficult to read the burial place (sepultum est in) and observations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I can only make out the word Ratheniska at the end of the sentence.

Genealogy Forum Mod

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11070/8050627.pdf

The Looney-Looney marriage on this page. Do you read the 2 fathers' names as the same or slightly differently?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11070/8050627.pdf

The Looney-Looney marriage on this page. Do you read the 2 fathers' names as the same or slightly differently?

Both fathers called Edmond. A genealogical nightmare!

Yes, that's what I think too. And worse still, there's 2 Daniels born to 2 different Edmonds in the right time frame, and both mothers' names for those babies feature in the children of Daniel and Mary!

Genealogy Forum Mod

timaru89 wrote: »
    Hi, would really appreciate any help interpreting the details regarding the last record in attached image for William Cushion. Particularly difficult to read the burial place (sepultum est in) and observations.

The observation is difficult to read, but here is my best effort. Maybe some of our latin scholars will help out:

Nomina eorum qui hoc anno in parocia de Maryborough, defuncti sunto in curia ejus cui custodia in [halumice???] commissa pul & [alve inaccurate numisantur?]

The first bit means "The names of those who have died this year in the parish of Maryborough" & the rest loosely translated seems to indicate that their names are held in some court?

Thanks so much for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

The burial place is Cemeterio Ecclesia Sancta Crucis - Holy Cross Church Cemetery https://historicgraves.com/graveyard/ratheniska/la-rtsk

Vetch wrote: »
    The burial place is Cemeterio Ecclesia Sancta Crucis - Holy Cross Church Cemetery https://historicgraves.com/graveyard/ratheniska/la-rtsk

Great, thank you.

Not a decipher query exactly but didn't seem worth starting a new thread for this one.

Can anyone tell me which St. Mary's Church this marriage record for George Peter (1st entry) refers to?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

Not 100% sure, but I think that's the Church that's now a bar/restaurant in Mary Street at junction with Jervis Street.

BowWow wrote: »
    Not 100% sure, but I think that's the Church that's now a bar/restaurant in Mary Street at junction with Jervis Street.

I assumed that too, particularly given the grooms address, but then I got to wondering if it might be the Black Church in St. Mary's Place.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hermy wrote: »
    I assumed that too, particularly given the grooms address, but then I got to wondering if it might be the Black Church in St. Mary's Place.

I don't think it's the Black Church. The record refers to the Parish church, which would be the one in Mary St, whereas the Black Church would be referred to as the chapel of ease?

Yes, definitely the one BowWow mentions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Agree - see Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary%27s_Church,_Mary_Street,_Dublin
    "St. Mary's Church, Dublin is a former Church of Ireland building on the corner of Mary Street and Jervis Street, Dublin, and adjacent to Wolfe Tone Square. From the 17th century the church was a place of worship for parishioners on Dublin's north-side, before it was closed in 1986. The church has since been deconsecrated and the building is now a pub and restaurant. The parish also had a chapel of ease - St Mary's - off Dorset Street, more commonly known as "The Black Church". "

I was set on the idea of it being the one on Mary Street and then I read a comment online about the Black Church and I began to doubt myself. Thanks for the replies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

I wonder can anyone tell the maiden name of Thomas Hinds' wife on the birth records of their two children please:

Mary (top record)
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02736/2006094.pdf

and

Catherine (bottom record)
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1886/02603/1961517.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It looks like Dunn.

spurious wrote: »
    It looks like Dunn.

Agreed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks folks, now to find their marriage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

Can I add "DRUM" as a possibility?

BowWow wrote: »
    Can I add "DRUM" as a possibility?

Sure! Between the possibilities for her surname and the Hines/Hinds/Hiens/Hynds/Hynes/Hyans variations for his, I haven't found their marriage yet. It's great to get some fresh eyes on these things.

• Advertisement

rhapsody wrote: »
    Sure! Between the possibilities for her surname and the Hines/Hinds/Hiens/Hynds/Hynes/Hyans variations for his, I haven't found their marriage yet. It's great to get some fresh eyes on these things.

I wonder would she be Mary Drummond? See last entry on this page: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11001/8022363.pdf

spurious wrote: »

She could indeed! I wasn't looking at longer names, the birth certs seems to show a four-letter surname. I'll see if this marriage fits with the other info, thanks.

I can’t make out the church name from following marriage record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11441/8202589.pdf

Would appreciate any help, it’s in the Cloughjordan parish

I think it is a variation of Garraunorish
    Grannorish?/Grannorisk?

There is a cemetery there known as Grawn cemetery and there are the ruins of a church in it. Near Ballycapple.
    https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2493341/grawn-church

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Can anyone make out the surname of the signatory of this marriage record please. The first name is Francis.120025199_10224459330173092_4619727472752067174_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=89LjQO0gTWIAX-3hlRB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=7953f29b81001968618ed6137d373645&oe=5F8EE4CC

Here's the link to the full page.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1904/10200/5711871.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

vektarman wrote: »
    Can anyone make out the surname of the signatory of this marriage record please. The first name is Francis.120025199_10224459330173092_4619727472752067174_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=89LjQO0gTWIAX-3hlRB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=7953f29b81001968618ed6137d373645&oe=5F8EE4CC

Here's the link to the full page.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1904/10200/5711871.pdf

Have a feeling it is one of these chaps

Going by the parish record of the same event it might be Sartini.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Help with the handwriting/Latin on the William Killin Mary Mooney marriage on the right hand side May 1877 please. I think I know what it says but would appreciate a second opinion.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634462#page/71/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Help with the handwriting/Latin on the William Killin Mary Mooney marriage on the right hand side May 1877 please. I think I know what it says but would appreciate a second opinion.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634462#page/71/mode/1up

Richard P. Mooney and Rosanna Mooney.
    Something like 'dispensantur in tertio et tertio gradii consanguinatis'.

Would that be they share great great grandparents?

I agree it says something like that, but I think tertio & tertio gradii is second cousins.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭mindhorn

Any ideas on the below?

3rd last entry - 2 Lower Francis Street possibly?

Last entry - 29 City...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

My guess is Fownes Street, in Temple Bar And City Quay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭ath262

Mollymoo19 wrote: »
    My guess is Fownes Street, in Temple Bar And City Quay.

agree on both of these

Thanks. Both addresses make sense now considering other locations in the city where the family were living at around that time.

• Advertisement

Back again.

2nd from the bottom - Occupation looks like Army and it sort of makes sense. But the father's profession also looking like Army doesn't fit in with everything else I know.

7th from the top - Can't make out the godparents. Looks like Julia Molloy at the end but the name before that?

7th from the top - Looks like Conney but can't find Martin or Elizabeth in the 1901 census (and no death records between 1895 and 1901).

1st line - Godparents are Joseph Nolan and Margaret Kinely? My guess is that this should read Kinnealy?

1st line - Witness is Elizabeth...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

mindhorn wrote: »

7th from the top - Looks like Conney but can't find Martin or Elizabeth in the 1901 census (and no death records between 1895 and 1901).

Misspelling of Conway, perhaps?

? Marsden ?

7th from the top - Can't make out the godparents. Looks like Julia Molloy at the end but the name before that?

Maria A. McDonough ?

Back again.

2nd from the bottom - Occupation looks like Army and it sort of makes sense. But the father's profession also looking like Army doesn't fit in with everything else I know.
    Army for both of them.
    Maria A. McDonagh
    The word between the names might be proxy.
    Looks like Conney all right but maybe a mis-spelling as Boo says.
    1st line - Godparents are Joseph Nolan and Margaret Kinely? My guess is that this should read Kinnealy?
    Definitely Kinely and not much of a jump to Kinnealy.
    Uzelle, same as the bride? Otherwise Waldon, Waldron or something similar?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement