Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dishwasher Conspiracy

• 16-01-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

It is with a somewhat fearful heart that I write this thread, but I've reached the point where I believe I must.

Dishwashers are a con. An out 'n out con.

But dare you say that to one of its ardent adherents!

They are a lie. A falsehood. ''A painted lady from the brow of the Superbrain.''

The cult of time-saving has enslaved us all.

Now, when we look for the one good knife, that one favourite bowl or plate, that one and only steamer - where is it?

Yup.

In the F***ink dishwasher.

Oh, no. Not 'left in the sink' - God no. Not, left on the counter - of course not. Who'd you think they are - Barbarians??

No. All is placed in the dishwasher. Out of sight. Out of mind. Their duty done.

The one item you need - that's in the dishwasher.

Placed there by responsible, upright citizens.

And, of course, in two or three days time, when the dishwasher is full (and NEVER, EVER before then) it will be washed.

Properly.

By a machine.

Properly.

None of that aul hot water, lemon squeezy, 'n elbow grease nonsense. No sir.

Properly. Or not at all.

And DARE you say different.

(But who - who empties the dishwasher? Hmmmm? (Shusshhh, don't even think that!))

So now, thanks to time-saving technology, we live in a world of unobtainable knives and crappy second choice plates. (And God help you if you rummage around in there, looking for that one good knife/ favourite plate. Sacrilege! Non-Believer!!)

And DARE you point out the craziness of it all.

Yup. We live in marvelous times.

Marvelous, I tell you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Buy more cutlery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Do not have time to read all that.

Save some time and shorten it for me.

I blame third wave feminism, rebelling against what was traditionally a woman's job...

Buy more delph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Party plates and cups are the way forward

Table to the bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

If it takes you three days to fill a dishwasher, then you're the one who got conned because you don't need it. There's 5 of us at home and the dishwasher is full every single evening. If there's only 1 or 2 of you in the house, you don't need a dishwasher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Buy more delph
    Doubt he'd leave Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you weren't so fcuking choosey about what plate, knife, fork you use there would be no problem :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭PC Lackey

why not a painted gentleman ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ok, I confess. I've never used a dishwasher. I have no idea how to.

I just hand wash whatever I used pretty much straight away after. Half the places I've lived in haven't even had a working one. Mock me if you must, but the truth has set me free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

If it takes you three days to fill a dishwasher, then you're the one who got conned because you don't need it. There's 5 of us at home and the dishwasher is full every single evening. If there's only 1 or 2 of you in the house, you don't need a dishwasher
    Waiting one day is enough. One hour is enough!

The olden days, you use - you wash.

And the next person can then use the item.

But, tell me this....

Who empties your dishwasher?

Hmmmm?

HMMMMMMM?????

c_man wrote: »
    Ok, I confess. I've never used a dishwasher. I have no idea how to.

I just hand wash whatever I used pretty much straight away after. Half the places I've lived in haven't even had a working one. Mock me if you must, but the truth has set me free.
    YOU ARE FREE INDEED MY FRIEND!

TRULY FREE!!

PC Lackey wrote: »
    why not a painted gentleman ?
    Ask Bowie.

Em, or rather, er...google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Dishwashers??? Dishwashers!! D'ya know how many washing-up basins I can buy for the price of a dishwasher.

T'was far from a dishwasher ye were reared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

They break all the time too, and go on fire...the sink never burnt your house down, in the good old days..

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you weren't so fcuking choosey about what plate, knife, fork you use there would be no problem :)
    Yes, that's what the Dishwasher Cultist say....

that or buy more dishes/ cutlery, sharp knives.

Buy more! they say.

But aint that a little crazy?

Canadel wrote: »
    Doubt he'd leave Man City.

I had to google that. Fabian Delph. Does he crack under pressure? Is he prone to lots of breakages? etc etc.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You would need to take my dishwasher from my cold dead hands....I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Menas wrote: »
    You would need to take my dishwasher from my cold dead hands....I love it!

Wait till it goes on fire and burns you out of house and home..come back then..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If God wanted us to use dishwasher he wouldn't have invented paper plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Kovu wrote: »
    T'was far from a dishwasher ye were reared.

Not really, it was just in the next room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

When you move from your bedsit to your first house, you'll know the pleasure of an 8 place dinner set

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Yes, that's what the Dishwasher Cultist say....

that or buy more dishes/ cutlery, sharp knives.

Buy more! they say.

But aint that a little crazy?

Only thing crazy is you don't have enough plates for a dinner party.. the fück?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

ArtSmart wrote: »
    SNIP
    that one favourite bowl or plate
    SNIP

Who the **** has a "favourite bowl or plate"?
    Kovu wrote: »
    D'ya know how many washing-up basins I can buy for the price of a dishwasher.

The sink is the ****ing washing up basin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Buy two sets of identical delph. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

i would weep if my dishwasher died, three of us in the house and I could have the fcuker going twice in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Wait till it goes on fire and burns you out of house and home..come back then..:D

Ha! There is more a chance of getting hit by a bus as I cross the road while typing th

Time to ban these death traps!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-182547/Woman-dies-freak-dishwasher-accident.html

"A woman died after she slipped in her kitchen and landed on knives lying upright in a dishwasher, police said today. The freak accident happened in the 31-year-old's home in Dunrobin Road, Airdrie, Lanarkshire."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Time to ban these death traps!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-182547/Woman-dies-freak-dishwasher-accident.html

"A woman died after she slipped in her kitchen and landed on knives lying upright in a dishwasher, police said today. The freak accident happened in the 31-year-old's home in Dunrobin Road, Airdrie, Lanarkshire."

Or just put the knives in upside down?
    (I think that's a rule in professional kitchens anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Washing machines live longer with calgon

Or just put the knives in upside down?
    (I think that's a rule in professional kitchens anyway)

Can't take that chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Foooorty-five years I rared a family and never had a dishwasher. Never wanted one. Never even used one. 'Tis far etc.

Then last year, with just two of us at home, I decided, on a whim, to get one. I like dishwashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I admit I have on occasion had to rifle through the dishwasher to get a needed item (sieve, measuring cup etc), before it is washed and then had to hand wash it before use, but it beats the hell out of hand washing every single plate, bowl and item of cutlery. I think the OP is coming from the perspective of someone sharing with housemates, rather than a parent who makes meals for a family several times a day. I think when they have a family they will begin to understand the value of a dishwasher. The OP's post might apply in a house sharing situation where everyone buys and cooks their food separately, but in a family home it's a different story altogether! I do not want to waste hours of my day washing and drying dishes, life is too short for that crap!

And yeah a dishwasher is more hygienic! The water runs off the dishes. It's like the difference between someone who has shat their pants getting into a bath or a shower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yuck. I'd say that was one comparison more than we needed Kiwi!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I love my dishwasher, I am a little bit in love with it. There's just two of us in the apartment and it's on every second day but I'm a lazy bitch and I adore any and all modern conveniences.

We wash the pots and pans ourselves or any sort of measuring jug etc as we will usually have to use them again before the dishwasher goes on, but other than that, it's very convenient. I am the one who usually empties it by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

looksee wrote: »
    Yuck. I'd say that was one comparison more than we needed Kiwi!!

Sorry I'm a nurse, such comparisons come naturally haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I hate our dishwasher, never use it no more. Everything comes out a little dirty or grimy, gross as ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a dishwasher here in my rental. never used it.. well I do, to store crockery in.. costs too much to run and I am happy washing up the old way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I empty the dishwasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Buy more cutlery
    Buy more delph

Not quite- the secret is- buy TWO Dishwashers- then you never have to empty either of them- just keep pulling dishes when you need them from the one that has the clean dishes- save on cupboard space too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Christ, this isn't twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

What is your opinion on lagging jackets, conspiracy too? :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Ruu wrote: »
    What is your opinion on lagging jackets, conspiracy too? :eek::eek:

I hear they'll be the "in-thing" for Autumn/Winter 2016:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I hate our dishwasher, never use it no more. Everything comes out a little dirty or grimy, gross as ****.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=263578725

Your dishwasher needs cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Only thing crazy is you don't have enough plates for a dinner party.. the fück?!?!

Ultimate dinner part challenge: to be able to serve dessert on the same plates (or in the same "verrines") that you used for the entrée, without your guests knowing/noticing that the machine has washed everything while they were working their way thorough their main courses. ;)

I'd sooner part with my kettle than the dishwasher. I can't stand the after-dinner pantomime in pagan households with half the guests saying "I'll help with the washing up", the other half feeling guilty for not offering, and the host saying "ah no, it's fine, no leave it, oh alright then..." Oh, and then the soggy tea towels hanging on every press door. :rolleyes:

Feck that! Throw everything in the dishwasher - delph, cutlery, pots, pans, the yoke that no-one knows the proper name for, everything. Keep your glass if you want to finish that bottle of wine. Five minutes and the kitchen's clean and tidy. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Don't forget that things which clean things need to themselves be cleaned. (I keep a box of dishwasher cleaner in the van)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I would never be without the dishwasher. It is full size and there is only me!!

Just rinse off the dishes as I use them, into the machine. Once a week on it goes. God you cannot beat the way the glasses and cutlery come out absolutely sparking. And there is NADA in the sink or countertops.

Now in fairness I have abolutely heaps of delph, cutlery and glasses. So I get by for a week or so. Now remember, I rinse the gunge off before entry to my loving machine. And that's that.

Occsionally I will rinse a cup or plate and put it on the rack beside the sink. But that's when I have had one too many and forget about my VBF!

Have one, never use it.. It's above the sink so it's just another drying rack.

Gotta be the only machine slower than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Buy two sets of identical delph. Problem solved.
    I do that with clothes. If I get something I like, I go and buy 6 or 7 of them. And each 'set' I have is black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

In other news, I've never used a dishwasher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement