29-10-2020, 09:31   #46
Bigus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car99 View Post
It's all hypothetical but say I bought it from my cousin for £500 18 years ago that's not fraud. I'm not saying it right or wrong I'm just wondering how revenue would deal with such cases
They assume a value , and as stated they have a full table of omsp to apply,
Anybody over a certain age around here knows full well how customs operate , they shoot first and ask questions later ,so unless you paperwork is bulletproof, they’ll screw you . They’ll also sometimes screw you even if your paperwork is bulletproof, just because they can . You just don’t want to get involved with this agency. They’re very highly paid and backed by the state to Raise revenue even if they’re wrong .

It’s really only Eu law has kept them in check and they often had to be brought to European court to comply with easing of. Customs rates and tariffs , so when they are off the leash , be careful.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-10-2020, 18:36   #47
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car99 View Post
OMSP has nothing to with vat and import duty.
Have a wee look at the revenue site and you will see that they say they will use this method should import duty and VAT be charged on cars coming in from the UK.
(3) thanks from:
03-11-2020, 19:52   #48
RobAMerc

given that there is ( or certainly was ) a fairly health trade in JDM cars arriving here - where the OMSP and shipping costs etc would be an even bigger unknown - surely importing a car from UK should be a bit less of a risk and more straight forward no ?
Thanks from:
04-11-2020, 11:04   #49
Car99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAMerc View Post
given that there is ( or certainly was ) a fairly health trade in JDM cars arriving here - where the OMSP and shipping costs etc would be an even bigger unknown - surely importing a car from UK should be a bit less of a risk and more straight forward no ?
But the purchase price for certain cars in japan can be far lower than a similar car in the uk
(2) thanks from:
07-12-2020, 16:30   #50
dublin7runner

Hi Guys,

If you import a vehicle from NI after brexit, I believe by reading the revenue website you dont have to pay VAT or DUTY is this true? ( If its not a new vehicle )

Only the VRT has to be paid.

Thanks
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-12-2020, 17:17   #51
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin7runner View Post
Hi Guys,

If you import a vehicle from NI after brexit, I believe by reading the revenue website you dont have to pay VAT or DUTY is this true? ( If its not a new vehicle )

Thanks
i don't think any agreement has yet been made, deadline seems to be wednesday
(2) thanks from:
07-12-2020, 20:04   #52
Esel
Not your ornery onager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublin7runner View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Someone recently posted a link to the Revenue site where that was stated alright.

Edit: found the link

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-tr...n-ireland.aspx

Last edited by Esel; 07-12-2020 at 20:07.
Thanks from:
07-12-2020, 20:49   #53
RobAMerc

so you'll be able to reg a car in NI and then bring it down ? Is there a way to know its NI reg other than the address on the V5 ?
As far as I know NI cars brought over from UK to NI currently dont have to be re-reg'd do they ?
07-12-2020, 21:37   #54
w124man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAMerc View Post
so you'll be able to reg a car in NI and then bring it down ? Is there a way to know its NI reg other than the address on the V5 ?
As far as I know NI cars brought over from UK to NI currently dont have to be re-reg'd do they ?
Its the details on the V5 that they use. If it has an NI address then it may be okay but no one knows for sure yet
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-12-2020, 08:14   #55
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124man View Post
Its the details on the V5 that they use. If it has an NI address then it may be okay but no one knows for sure yet
absolutely, and it supposes there is a deal done.
Thanks from:
08-12-2020, 09:37   #56
unkel
Category Moderator

Hold on lads, the revenue site is running ahead of itself like I said a few weeks ago. There is NO deal done yet on the backstop at all. As things stand any car coming into Ireland from the UK (and that includes Northern Ireland) from next month is subject to import duty and VAT (and VRT) as per international trading agreements
(3) thanks from:
08-12-2020, 23:39   #57
KevRossi

If VAT is applied, then I wonder if you can claim back on VAT owed from UK Revenue once the car is registered here.

I've done this in Germany a few times exporting trucks to Africa, takes about 2 months and a bit of paperwork. Would be handy if it applied to UK-Ireland as well.

I suppose if the NI exemption does happen then there will be some dealers in NI taking cars from the mainland, changing the address and selling them on down here. Or there will be a system where you find a car from a UK dealer, bring it to NI, register it there under some companies name and then 'purchase' it from them. Could be an opening there for a business if a deal is done on the backstop.
09-12-2020, 02:55   #58
lomb

A deal will happen but it could be next year...
09-12-2020, 09:21   #59
unkel
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRossi View Post
I suppose if the NI exemption does happen then there will be some dealers in NI taking cars from the mainland, changing the address and selling them on down here. Or there will be a system where you find a car from a UK dealer, bring it to NI, register it there under some companies name and then 'purchase' it from them.
Exactly. The modern equivalent of the butter smuggling across the border. Will be a lovely source of income for the paramilitaries and other criminals
09-12-2020, 09:47   #60
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
Hold on lads, the revenue site is running ahead of itself like I said a few weeks ago. There is NO deal done yet on the backstop at all. As things stand any car coming into Ireland from the UK (and that includes Northern Ireland) from next month is subject to import duty and VAT (and VRT) as per international trading agreements
Not according to the Revenue site today. And it says VAT will only be for new cars.

It says you may (assume "will") have to pay Customs Duty for cars from Great Britain. NI is not in Great Britain. Which is why it's referred to as 'Great Britain & Northern Ireland'. So the arrangements for NI may be unique.

So the Revenue statement here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-tr...n-ireland.aspx stating Customs won't apply to NI imports.

So, I rang the VRT Inspection line just now and asked:

For a vehicle imported into the State before the deadline of 31st December, and where a booking is made online before 31st December, but no VRT inspection is possible (because she just confirmed there is no availability- in Galway at least) until 2nd week of January. I asked what is the story on the VRT/Customs amount to be paid. The import having taken place, and the car in the State, and the Declaration being made then..........

The lady told me they don't know, as Revenue hasn't told them, and they literally have no idea.

There's a car in NI I've been watching, and I'm curious how those NI traders are viewing all their potential stock becoming unsaleable to RoI customers due to the impending deadline. To wit, the car dropped £1200 since yesterday......
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion