Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Episode 1 - The Nudie Man - 11/01

Options
  • 07-01-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Episode One of Covies transmits on Monday 11th Jan

You can watch it at http://www.thecovies.com then comeback here and tell us what you think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

i guessing nudity will be in this episode so :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

best of luck with this len looking forward to seeing it , will be out tonight but will watch when i get in

Episode one is now up and live.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just watched it there, very good effort and a high level of professionalism by the actors and the clarity of the HD is top notch. A scene i enjoyed was the scene where the pub locals encouraged the nudie man to scull back the guinness and cheered him on. That scene was well acted out and felt real and spontaneous.

I would like scenes to be a few seconds longer as they seemed too short and abrupt but i know episode time is a constraint. It just meant its hard for us to get a sense of the relationships forming. I felt we neeeded to know more about the nudie man to justify the poignant music scene. Maybe to lead out an episode with such a music piece.

Well done and i look forward to the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Epistemic salsa

Hi! Just watched it and really enjoyed it - a great job and some very funny bits! Have already told people as far away as Germany and New Mexico about it. We're looking forward to the next one.:D
    Never knew you were a Gym enthusiast...?!?!

Your scraggly neighbours up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thats Silver Strand beach at the start! Nice place to film

EDIT: Just finished watching and it was pretty good, I'll definitely keep up to see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Really good, the production is top notch, and the locals really do a good job in there roles, roll on ep 2

Thats Silver Strand beach at the start! Nice place to film

EDIT: Just finished watching and it was pretty good, I'll definitely keep up to see where it goes.

yes the last thing they filmed there was a Calvin Kline Ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Just watched episode one, couldn't get a decent stream at 9pm so decided to come back later, excellent stuff Len, Bridie is gorgeous which is a bonus.

There are a couple of typos in the episode 1 warning (below), not a complaint just in case you haven't noticed yourselves.

"episode one contains nudity and scenes some viewer's may find distrubing, veiwer discreation is advised".

• Advertisement

Just watched episode one, couldn't get a decent stream at 9pm so decided to come back later, excellent stuff Len, Bridie is gorgeous which is a bonus.

There are a couple of typos in the episode 1 warning (below), not a complaint just in case you haven't noticed yourselves.

"episode one contains nudity and scenes some viewer's may find distrubing, veiwer discreation is advised".

Thanks Bren I'm well aware... not sure why that is even there - but have asked for it to be changed. Our webmaster has done a brilliant job, but was under extra stress today as he has just started a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well done. Good start...enough to whet the appetite. It looks great too. Good luck with it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Must have a gander this evening, listening to the lad on GRyan now but at work so can't watch it. Will be strange watching Westport in a film!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Just watched the first episode there now.
    It's beautifully shot and the acting seems good in it. The lead (Bridie?) seems like a very good actress.
    I'll keep tuning in to see how it develops.
    Congrats on the first episode anyway. It looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thepilgrim

At last a talented Irish actress who has the looks and a body to match.

Bridie I will kick that husband of your's ass if he lays a finger on you.

Anyone know the actress's name? Somebody start a facebook fansite pleeease!

Think this could be a really good show- twin peaks, eerie indiana vibe so far.

What's in the Lucozade down in Westport - That's some sugar rush your man got.

More please

Thanks pilgrim

The actress is Sarah Carol.

You can start an appreciation thread if you like :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sarah is such a sweet heart lady too, she played poor Bridie to a tee... she's going to be a huge star if there's any justice.

Plus Paul (the actor who plays Vinnie) is usually a really postive upbeat pleasant bloke, its sooooo weird to see him as Vinnie who's an unrelenting git hahah..

I must be the only person *not* looking forward to Episode 2.

DeV.

Yeah episode two isn't very good. We need to reshoot bits as it's snowing again and there's a shower scene I want to incorporate. It involves a frozen waterfall. Are you up for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

very good looking forward to next episode thought the main two characters were very good

p

ps can u pm or txt me your address len need to send u something in the post

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 AlexK

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Thanks pilgrim

The actress is Sarah Carol.

You can start an appreciation thread if you like :D

Quick correction, the actresses name is Sarah Carroll

but your dead right Pilgrim she is a fantastic Irish actor - get that facebook fan page going :)

Here's her website http://www.sarahcarrollactor.com

• Advertisement

LOL first time I've made a spelling mistake :-) Pounced upon.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 AlexK

First time I've ever spotted one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Really enjoyed episode 1. Im useless for series on the TV, but at 15 mins for each bitesize chunk, I'll be checking in often. Well done all round! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Absolutely Excellent Len!!!

Brilliant script.

Acting great.

Parts of it show pure genius.

More power to you.

All the best

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Just watched it there. Was very impressed with how well it was directed. I don't know if it was the HD or the location or what but it's very unusual for me to think how lovely a shot is numerous times in 15mins. Although after your original promo I did find myself saying in the opening scene "Pft, you call that an arse!"

Well done Len.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 foreverchanges

Watched the first episode last night, to be honest I wasn't overly impressed. But I will keep watching it to see how it pans out over the coming weeks. I'm not going to pan it on just one episode. Fair play for doing it in the first place and trying to make a go of it.
    Shakespeare, if he was still alive would be happy enough to see that his characters are still being used in the new online tv world at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Say it now

Just watched episode 1 and while I admire the community effort in trying to make something good, I have to say I'm really disappointed with the result.
    With the scriptwriters/directors list of credits over the last 20 years, how could it look so amateurish. The script is all over the place...none of the characters are set up...Is it a comedy..Did the camera people ever hear of headroom, looking room, framing a shot ... all things that a 1st year media student should know about. When it comes to editing....where do I start, how many times did the editor cross the line and made the characters jump all over the place.(Look at the scene where the nudie chap is confronted by the husband) With all the effort put into this ...I'm just really disappointed. I'm in the TV production business and know what I'm talking about....so this is not sour grapes...someone has to give this an honest review and say it now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Say it now wrote: »
    Just watched episode 1 and while I admire the community effort in trying to make something good, I have to say I'm really disappointed with the result.
    With the scriptwriters/directors list of credits over the last 20 years, how could it look so amateurish. The script is all over the place...none of the characters are set up...Is it a comedy..Did the camera people ever hear of headroom, looking room, framing a shot ... all things that a 1st year media student should know about. When it comes to editing....where do I start, how many times did the editor cross the line and made the characters jump all over the place.(Look at the scene where the nudie chap is confronted by the husband) With all the effort put into this ...I'm just really disappointed. I'm in the TV production business and know what I'm talking about....so this is not sour grapes...someone has to give this an honest review and say it now....

Say it now, I gave it a very honest review.

I'll concede the editing wasn't perfect... but then given the resource constraints compared to say a high budget TV production, I wouldn't expect Hollywood standards, would you?

As for the script being all over the place, I couldn't disagree more, so perhaps you could elaborate?

I found the script to be excellent. TV production and screenwriting are two different things, so perhaps you don't understand the ingredients of a brilliant script? I'm sure the TV production crew to Jamie Oliver programs don't fully understand what he is throwing together... but the proofs in the pudding as they say... if it tastes good at the end of it who cares about the recipe?

Watching The Covies was like eating the meal of your life cooked in someone’s home as opposed to a top London restaurant with all the bells and whistles.

It was real and genuine art stripped down to the bare bones - a moving folk song sang in a pub compared to a mega production X Factor Christmas hit… Luke Kelly’s 'Raglan Road' versus Joe McElderry’s ‘The Climb’.

All the production in the world can’t hide bad art… in contrast a piece of genius will always shine through… that is why Lennon’s Imagine, me mother’s cooking and The Covies will be remembered and appreciated long after Jason Donavon songs, dinners at pretentious city restaurants and 'Ireland’s Got Talent' will be forgotten.

The Covies: ‘Punk’ Drama at it’s rawest and best… watch it, enjoy it and never mind the B*llocks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stookan

Say it now wrote: »

You work in TV production???? Thats a very broad statement.. What do you actually do?? For all we know you sweep floors in the RTE studios..... Yes the editing isnt perfect, as compared to Irelands so called soap Fair City it aint any worse the editing and camera angles on that are awful including the lighting even though they have all the resources they need from RTE, Where as this production was filmed in 3 weeks, for around €24,000 and on peoples spare time nobody got paid. Its not perfect nothing is!

• Advertisement

I suspect that either Say It Now is on a wind up... Or actually doesn't realise that the production was made on such a low budget and on a tight schedule. Obviously there are going to be mistakes made... and not everyone is going to like it. That's fine... I know people who don't like The Wire.

No one's making out that Covies is perfect or a great script or anything else... But it's not bad for free.:)

Advertisement