Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you happy about how your career is progressing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pay is great. There are days when I hate the work but I mostly enjoy it. Sitting on my @ss all day isn't great for my health. During this pandemic my lack of work life balance has come into sharp focus. My wife has had it with me and my job. Currently trying to figure out how to make enough money to support a family of 4 on one income and somehow work less hours.

No pressure :pac:

I guess in a broader sense. I had one career goal. I achieved it back in 2013. I consider everything else a bonus.

......). There is also the money - I'm 33 and at the lecturer grade, earning 70k - there is no way I would describe that as anything remotely close to "crap pay". This will only get better, topping-out at approx. 150k - ......O.

Senior lecturer III tops out at 110k ish?
    What promotions will yield 150k ..... Director or president?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Augeo wrote: »

Maybe it's Professor or HoD roles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

What type of work?

IT, I moved into a service management role.
    I’m fairly terrified of the new position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

shesty wrote: »
    Civil engineer.15 years now, career has deviated due to the recession.I am a woman too, and yes, that has had a bearing on my career choices.

I am happy that my current role allows me to live the lifestyle I want and need with a family.Pay is good (for me.Relative to, you know....2010 -2016).Probably not be enough for others, but the commute is short, the hours are 8-4, I enjoy my job and the workplace is very family friendly.

I did 5 years on site.It's a young man's (person's) game and, as someone else said, a sh#tsh&w.It is great craic-I wil say that-but jesus, they work you to the bone and there is only so much you can take of the constant fighting and dogging of trades and contractors.You also get really bloody fed up with being responsible for EVERYTHING.I mean sh%t flows downhill on sites, and the engineer is at the bottom of the heap.Carries heavy responsibility, works the longest hours, rarely sees a cent of overtime, answers to everyone for everything, has no union for any sort of protection....am I selling it?!But it is also an extremely good training period for a graduate because you learn to get on with things, and get over yourself (sorry.generalising a bit).Personally it also taught me that no job or salary is worth hours and hours of my life, and no money can buy work/life balance.

This is very true, and sad really that shiite conditions are just taken on the chin. Does anyone know why certain jobs have unions, go on strike etc and others don't?

Jesus, you look at above (pretty much similar throughout the country) - if ever there was cause for making a stand for better conditions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Professors would be earning 150k, long road to get there though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just to present an alternative viewpoint/experience to this.

I'm in academia and I absolutely love it. I know it is a competitive and challenging environment, but I don't think you fairly outlined the potential rewards either. First and foremost is the job satisfaction and, although it may sound sanctimonious, if you really love what you're doing, you'll never truly work a day in your life. Now I know positions are few and far between, but if you are successful in getting tenure, you are essentially your own boss forever, with academic licence/freedom to pursue whatever you like (within reason). There is also the money - I'm 33 and at the lecturer grade, earning 70k - there is no way I would describe that as anything remotely close to "crap pay". This will only get better, topping-out at approx. 150k - depending on promotions, etc. Finally, is the work-life balance. Contrary to popular belief, I don't that academics have more free time than others, but I do think that they have more flexible time. Outside of my lectures, I'm free to do other tasks (research, grant proposals, writing papers, admin work, etc.) when I want, where I want. There is a lot to be said for that - again you are your own boss in a sense.

I hope this post doesn't seem boastful or contrived, as that is not at all my intention. I simply wanted to present an alternative. I realise I have been extremely fortunate in my career, and indeed am familiar with many of the travails you have outlined. But if someone was to ask me for advice, I would recommend it. Chances are slim, but rewards are worth it IMO.

Fair play to you. If the cards fall the right way it can be a great career.

I just got another grant application declined yesterday and am once again considering my options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

onrail wrote: »
    This is very true, and sad really that shiite conditions are just taken on the chin. Does anyone know why certain jobs have unions, go on strike etc and others don't?

Jesus, you look at above (pretty much similar throughout the country) - if ever there was cause for making a stand for better conditions!!

Funny enough we have a professional body.

Useful for administering chartership.

Never on their radar to look after their members' conditions?

If all civil engineers in the country went on strike the immediate impact would be negligible.... Also the ones happy with their t&cs wouldn't strike..... Builders would happily pass the picket as most builders see civil engineers as a pain in the hoop.

Going on strike is grim anyway. Should be a last resort ....... Being a member of a union when you've been degree educated is far from ideal if working in private sector.... Technical & professional folk shouldn't need unions to fight their corner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As above.Also (this will be controversial)

Engineers do not stick their heads above the parapet much.Just not what we do, we tend to just shut up and put up, happy to play with the numbers.Also most people haven't a breeze what we do anyway, so it wouldn't really matter what we say.

We don't really need a union btw, I was just saying that to point out that when you are on site, every other person is in a union except the person that takes the responsibility and the sh1t falls on and it can get very hard to take sometimes.

Thirdly (controversial) - engineers should not really BE on sites full time at all.
    If you go to (many) other countries, the idea of a degree or technically educated engineer being on a building site full time is ludicrous.In many other other countries, the title is a protected professional title, much like a doctor or similar, and those on site are trained in setting out, GIS, and similar, but they are not engineers and not expected to be.
    Now - I know I am making sweeping statements to a degree there as I am speaking of countries that i know of, maybe it's not the case all over the world.Also I know there are different levels of engineering qualification and these would potentially entail different career responsibilities, but often all get called Engineering.

It is what it is here, I suppose, and a few years on site is grand, but I wouldn't be looking for it long term myself.Derailing the thread somewhat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A lot of it is to do with the expansion of higher education the more restricted the entry to a profession is the higher the pay, IT possibly being the exception.

If all civil engineers in the country went on strike the immediate impact would be negligible.... Also the ones happy with their t&cs wouldn't strike..... Builders would happily pass the picket as most builders see civil engineers as a pain in the hoop.

Going on strike is grim anyway. Should be a last resort ....... Being a member of a union when you've been degree educated is far from ideal if working in private sector.... Technical & professional folk shouldn't need unions to fight their corner.

Maybe a ‘work to rule’ would be a better job, given the amount of unpaid overtime that goes on! Anyway, not to derail the thread - as bad as consultancy is, I wouldn’t wish full time site engineering on my worst enemy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Probably a very naive question on my behalf : but why do construction professionals and trades do overtime and not get paid a penny for it generally?

I don’t get why the whole workforce collectively do this. I have friends working with the banks at graduate level and the minute they go past their 9-5:30 or whatever it is they’re paid for it. Or time worked in lieu.

When you go for. Job interview for PM//QS/engineer whatever it is, when you ask the hours they laugh at you. I hate this attitude. And if you have an accounts, HR or marketing department in said construction firm, they all waltz out the door on the button at 5/5:30.

I can’t fathom why lads stay on site and in the head office slaving away like robots and you get absolutely NO THANKS. All this bull**** in the interviews - “if you put in the hours you’ll climb the ladder” f*ck offfff.

Meanwhile other industries preach smart working - inside your daily allotted time.
    Although in saying that I have heard of google and Facebook being pretty relentless - software guys an programmers having access to the office and coming in at all hours of the night

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Probably a very naive question on my behalf : but why do construction professionals and trades do overtime and not get paid a penny for it generally?

I don’t get why the whole workforce collectively do this. I have friends working with the banks at graduate level and the minute they go past their 9-5:30 or whatever it is they’re paid for it. Or time worked in lieu.

Most salaried professionals don't get overtime.
    Many get time in lieu but many don't also.

I'd have thought all trades folk do get over time, they do on any job I've ran a budget for anyway.

Bank workers are almost civil servants to be fair in the way they operate. Clock in clock out, tomorrow's another day.

shesty wrote: »

Thirdly (controversial) - engineers should not really BE on sites full time at all.
    If you go to (many) other countries, the idea of a degree or technically educated engineer being on a building site full time is ludicrous.In many other other countries, the title is a protected professional title, much like a doctor or similar, and those on site are trained in setting out, GIS, and similar, but they are not engineers and not expected to be.

UK, Canada, US, Australia, Saudi....
    Engineers all over the place on site in site management and PM roles
    These days a nice proportion of them are Irish.

Agreed on the setting out.
    A lot of these countries use qualified "Surveyors" to set out.
    It's a qualification we don't really use here.

Is the protected title in these countries not Chartership too?

Anyway agree with a lot of what you say but would disagree that Engineers do not stick heads above parapet. Engineers love arguing in my experience.

Is it more a care of "I'm alright jack" from those of us who got up the ladder a bit? I mean I'm quite happy in my current position.

• Advertisement

Is it more a care of "I'm alright jack" from those of us who got up the ladder a bit? I mean I'm quite happy in my current position.

Perhaps folk who are happy with their lot worked hard for it and moved jobs a few times so see it as earning the stripes to an extent, nothing wrong with that.

In general if it won't cost much more than what you are getting to replace you then the market has spoken also.

Perhaps folk who are happy with their lot worked hard for it and moved jobs a few times so see it as earning the stripes to an extent, nothing wrong with that.

I dunno.
    I'd disagree.

I found that it was just too badly run for those at the bottom. My first role out of college was madness. 8 to 5 min in winter. By summer we were 7 to 7 or even 7 to 9. Worked every 2nd or 3rd Saturday. I remember leaving early one Friday and being accosted by the owner the next week. I'm well able to fight my corner but eventually cracked and left.

And it wasn't just the hours. I had to fight for resources within the company. I had to make programme regardless. I was everything from ganger to manager to labourer.

In total I've worked for 4 contactors. 3 were like this. The one that wasn't was Oxford based and I left to return here. I also did several years as RE or SRE for consultants. Their engineers put up with similar.

Of my peers, we are all now happy with our lot but of say 10, only 3 are with contractor or consultant.
    And they're at a very senior level now.
    4 are council/DAA/ESB
    2 left engineering
    1 -me - Client side

None of us would recommend it as a career.
    Had this chat last year.
    The industry kinda churns through engineers??
    Is that how our industry should be?
    It's also a fierce old fashioned industry but that's another story

We're alright jack.
    But took 5 to 10 years for that.
    I'm 16 years out I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Mid 20s. Been on 26k in a marketing role in hospitality for just over a year now after I finished my masters.

Took me 6 months to get the job after I graduated. Nobody was willing to touch me unless I had some sort of work experience. It was only after I got an Internship as a favour through a friend of a friend (expenses only + 3 hour round commute + not marketing specific) for 3 months that I started having a bit more luck with potential employers.

Very little opportunity to progress in my current role. Not much of a commute and I do enjoy most of the small team I work with (even though there is nobody around my age), but I feel at my age I should really be learning more and under more pressure I suppose. Had applied for a few jobs just before covid, but again, didn’t have much luck, despite up skilling with an online diploma and having a years experience under my belt.

Reading this thread would make me anxious that I should’ve focused on doing something in computing/accounting. To answer the question of the thread, no, but I guess I just have to be patient and it’ll all work out.

I dunno.
    I'd disagree.

I found that it was just too badly run for those at the bottom. My first role out of college was madness. 8 to 5 min in winter. By summer we were 7 to 7 or even 7 to 9. Worked every 2nd or 3rd Saturday. I remember leaving early one Friday and being accosted by the owner the next week. I'm well able to fight my corner but eventually cracked and left.

And it wasn't just the hours. I had to fight for resources within the company. I had to make programme regardless. I was everything from ganger to manager to labourer.

In total I've worked for 4 contactors. 3 were like this. The one that wasn't was Oxford based and I left to return here. I also did several years as RE or SRE for consultants. Their engineers put up with similar.

Of my peers, we are all now happy with our lot but of say 10, only 3 are with contractor or consultant.
    And they're at a very senior level now.
    4 are council/DAA/ESB
    2 left engineering
    1 -me - Client side

None of us would recommend it as a career.
    Had this chat last year.
    The industry kinda churns through engineers??
    Is that how our industry should be?
    It's also a fierce old fashioned industry but that's another story

We're alright jack.
    But took 5 to 10 years for that.
    I'm 16 years out I think

Mind me asking what the two friends who left engineering went to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Just to present an alternative viewpoint/experience to this.

I'm in academia and I absolutely love it. I know it is a competitive and challenging environment, but I don't think you fairly outlined the potential rewards either. First and foremost is the job satisfaction and, although it may sound sanctimonious, if you really love what you're doing, you'll never truly work a day in your life. Now I know positions are few and far between, but if you are successful in getting tenure, you are essentially your own boss forever, with academic licence/freedom to pursue whatever you like (within reason). There is also the money - I'm 33 and at the lecturer grade, earning 70k - there is no way I would describe that as anything remotely close to "crap pay". This will only get better, topping-out at approx. 150k - depending on promotions, etc. Finally, is the work-life balance. Contrary to popular belief, I don't that academics have more free time than others, but I do think that they have more flexible time. Outside of my lectures, I'm free to do other tasks (research, grant proposals, writing papers, admin work, etc.) when I want, where I want. There is a lot to be said for that - again you are your own boss in a sense.

I hope this post doesn't seem boastful or contrived, as that is not at all my intention. I simply wanted to present an alternative. I realise I have been extremely fortunate in my career, and indeed am familiar with many of the travails you have outlined. But if someone was to ask me for advice, I would recommend it. Chances are slim, but rewards are worth it IMO.

Great post. Could I direct you to this thread? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058081282

I love communicating, presenting, demonstrating and to a lesser extent, teaching, but the opportunities are limited in the physical sciences for this - I'm at a top 9/10 uni in UK, but it appears to me that most of the better applicants for jobs are Oxbridge, or people who have a start-up on the go who then get hired to 'lecture' - which I think, is a faculties way of getting someone on board who can bring in money through grants, exposure et cetera. Is this similar in your area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

fits wrote: »
    Fair play to you. If the cards fall the right way it can be a great career.

I just got another grant application declined yesterday and am once again considering my options.

Sorry to hear that. My best pal and I know a lot of bull****ters who get a lot of grant money by promising the moon, but rarely provide the goods. Whereas he and others with a bit of integrity seem to put in grant applications that are reasonable, achievable and steady. Have you witnessed the same with your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Mid 20s. Been on 26k in a marketing role in hospitality for just over a year now after I finished my masters.

Took me 6 months to get the job after I graduated. Nobody was willing to touch me unless I had some sort of work experience. It was only after I got an Internship as a favour through a friend of a friend (expenses only + 3 hour round commute + not marketing specific) for 3 months that I started having a bit more luck with potential employers.

Very little opportunity to progress in my current role. Not much of a commute and I do enjoy most of the small team I work with (even though there is nobody around my age), but I feel at my age I should really be learning more and under more pressure I suppose. Had applied for a few jobs just before covid, but again, didn’t have much luck, despite up skilling with an online diploma and having a years experience under my belt.

Reading this thread would make me anxious that I should’ve focused on doing something in computing/accounting. To answer the question of the thread, no, but I guess I just have to be patient and it’ll all work out.

For all the high flying accountants & IT gurus on this thread, you don’t hear about the large percentage of people who burn themselves out trying desperately to succeed in roles in an industry they aren’t suited to. I know of one guy who is obsessed with money and security, he slogged his way through college and got a degree in accountancy. The industry was never for him and he nearly cracked up trying to succeed at it. He tipped away at entry level stuff for a couple of years and then somehow landed a very good job but he wasn’t able for it at all.

Those jobs aren’t for everyone and lots of people go in to them with the money or the prestige in their mind. The forget how they’ve to spend 40 years working in a job they don’t like. Stick with what you’re doing and opportunities will open up. The salary may not be great in the majority of marketing jobs but the perks are fantastic. I worked In marketing for the PGA tour in America for a couple of years and got to do some unbelievable things that no accountant or IT technician will ever do no matter how much they earn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Happy enough with where I am and where I'm going. Work in insurance, started in it 11 years ago working in a call centre cos I'd been made redundant and couldn't get any other job. Did some industry qualifications, got a couple of promotions, moved companies a couple of times and moved into a very niche area for an international insurer June last year. Gross incl bonus is early 70s, 26 days annual leave this year, 15% pension, phone, heavily discounted insurance for my wife's and my own cars, other standard benefits too. Job is busy but my hours are 9 to 5, Monday to Friday, rarely look at emails outside of office hours and dont pick up the work phone unless I'm actually working. Started doing more exams this year which all going well will all be done by the end of next year. Am thinking by June 2022 and qualification permitting I'll have three years experience doing what I'm doing and will have an additional recognised qualification so will probably look into moving in somewhere like the central bank or FSPO. I have been toying with the idea of starting my own consultancy business based on what I'm currently doing. There is 100% an appetite in the industry for it so I'm going to explore it further once I get the qualification. All in all im in a good spot and do have a number of different options in the future so cant complain at all thankfully.

Mind me asking what the two friends who left engineering went to do?

1 with one of the "big 4", EY I think, as management consultant

1 went back and to college altogether and did a new degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I've read every single post on this thread and and found it all really interesting. I love seeing perspectives and salary ranges from other sectors.

I'm currently in my third tech support role since I left college. My current role is hard but I find it interesting. I love nothing more than a good puzzle so this type of work suits me. Money is good in the €70k - €80k region. Got a ~€25k bump when I moved to this role because I played my cards right and refused to reveal my existing salary.

My previous company, while I loved working with the software itself and I had a good relationship with the developers, there was no sign of career progression. I got to a point where I was too important to move. When I was leaving I told them it would require at least double my salary and to my surprise they actually agreed.. But at that point I was committed to leaving regardless. Too little too late.

One of my best ever managers gave me some solid advice a few months into my first job.. If you can, move on from a role every 2 - 3 years and ask for at least €10-15k more for your next role. It's the only way to start making money. The 2-3% raise you get a year otherwise will leave you behind market value.

Would anyone advise against software engineering / data analytics?

Cautious that it might just be the “in fashion” degree to do over the last few years, and will become obsolete as technology moves on in the present.

I’d imagine the competition for a masters would be high for one in September.

Also contemplating about whether to go for full time vs part time for chosen postgrad 2020/2021 academic year.

Full time - get it out of the way, depending on how many days of attendance could still get a job 2/3 days week in current industry.. part time is a slow slow burn and a hard slog. Did it in the past

A lot of people recommended the energy sector because of obvious need for it with the green push and renewables etc.. just seems a bit of a wishy-washy qualification to have, nobody knows what you’d really work as - selling wind turbines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Motivator wrote: »
    For all the high flying accountants & IT gurus on this thread, you don’t hear about the large percentage of people who burn themselves out trying desperately to succeed in roles in an industry they aren’t suited to. I know of one guy who is obsessed with money and security, he slogged his way through college and got a degree in accountancy. The industry was never for him and he nearly cracked up trying to succeed at it. He tipped away at entry level stuff for a couple of years and then somehow landed a very good job but he wasn’t able for it at all.

Those jobs aren’t for everyone and lots of people go in to them with the money or the prestige in their mind. The forget how they’ve to spend 40 years working in a job they don’t like. Stick with what you’re doing and opportunities will open up. The salary may not be great in the majority of marketing jobs but the perks are fantastic. I worked In marketing for the PGA tour in America for a couple of years and got to do some unbelievable things that no accountant or IT technician will ever do no matter how much they earn.

Resilience and a brass neck is certainly needed to deal with some of the wankbags in the corporate world. Honestly, I've had to change a couple of times because I'm not a lickarse or a brown noser and despise office politics. I'd be flying in a role, but hate that aspect, if too much of it is going on that's signal enough to move on.

I'm a direct talker who likes to come in, do the work and go home. Respect people and be respected. I've been at the coffee table a couple of times over the years where someone would try and subtly try to instigate a conversation about another colleague behind their back. To put it simply, I do not want to hear it and usually would leave quite quickly. Always hated long meetings and the social side of work. It's just my personality.

Finally have a role now with people of similar personality and its the best gig I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Cautious that it might just be the “in fashion” degree to do over the last few years, and will become obsolete as technology moves on in the present.

Also contemplating about whether to go for full time vs part time for chosen postgrad 2020/2021 academic year.

Full time - get it out of the way, depending on how many days of attendance could still get a job 2/3 days week in current industry.. part time is a slow slow burn and a hard slog. Did it in the past

A lot of people recommended the energy sector because of obvious need for it with the green push and renewables etc.. just seems a bit of a wishy-washy qualification to have, nobody knows what you’d really work as - selling wind turbines?

It might be worth paying for a short course online or following a free one to see do you have any interest in it rather than applying for a masters in them because they might good career progression at the end. If you are currently employed would it be possible to get involved in a project that might involve some of these skills to see do you have interest in it ?

I've done a part time masters while working and its quite intense. If you feel you are up for it then by all means go for it but your social life tends to go down the crapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Heading back to work after a few years of being an SAHM. Going in at 10k less in salary and about 10k less in benefits. Will be working for below the national average income.
    I wasn't overly happy with my career progression before choosing to leave work for a few years.
    I knew going back I'd be on a low salary. I feel lucky that a company is willing to give me a way back into the workforce, and during covid times too. I will aim to get my salary up to at least the national average in the next 3 years.

Heading back to work after a few years of being an SAHM. Going in at 10k less in salary and about 10k less in benefits. Will be working for below the national average income.
    I wasn't overly happy with my career progression before choosing to leave work for a few years.
    I knew going back I'd be on a low salary. I feel lucky that a company is willing to give me a way back into the workforce, and during covid times too. I will aim to get my salary up to at least the national average in the next 3 years.

Fair play to you!! You will be 100%. Sometimes when you step back from things for a few years you have a different perspective going back in, and your life experiences since then will have brought on your skills in different areas.

Have no doubt that you can and will be able to contribute as effectively , if not more than the grads. Anyone can lock themselves in a room for weeks and recite from memory for exams (well not everyone). you have real life experience :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

What do you do?
    I’m on €60K in construction, and by god you work hard for it, albeit I’m not out on site. ........ No wonder the young people never want to go into it. .

Pfft. I wouldn't advise my son to do anything bar construction, unless he has a serious ambition to do something in medicine, law, science etc.

How many 27 year old graduates working in an office are on 60K do you think? People 10 years older than that would be lucky to be on 30K in many cases. The wages most graduates get are pathetic. There's 3rd year electrical apprentices earning as much as some 40 year old middle management in the corporate sector.

Case in point- whenever the Independent does a vox pop piece with a couple struggling to afford a home. It's ALWAYS graduates. You won't get many electricians or plumbers who are married to hairdressers who can't get a mortgage. Reason being because they're ****ing loaded compared to graduates. Imagine telling a spark he had to wait for 10 years after he qualifed before he started earning a decent wage, he'd knife you. Yet graduates just take it on the chin, start on 23K and hope to possibly be in the mid 30's within 10- 15 years. While a spark is on 40k plus by age 23.

Unless it's medicine/ law/ IT 3rd level is a mugs game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Age 28, took a promtion that was 70K a year. Let's just say I didn't have a good night's sleep for a year and started affecting my mental health badly that I had a email written out most nights ready to press send on it for handing in my notice.

Back now in my old role on 42K, probably hit 50K in another few years. Never been happier.

Don't need that stress. I finish on time every day and probably over qualified for my current role which I find easy but that promotion was almost the end of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Pfft. I wouldn't advise my son to do anything bar construction, unless he has a serious ambition to do something in medicine, law, science etc.

How many 27 year old graduates working in an office are on 60K do you think? People 10 years older than that would be lucky to be on 30K in many cases. The wages most graduates get are pathetic. There's 3rd year electrical apprentices earning as much as some 40 year old middle management in the corporate sector.

Case in point- whenever the Independent does a vox pop piece with a couple struggling to afford a home. It's ALWAYS graduates. You won't get many electricians or plumbers who are married to hairdressers who can't get a mortgage. Reason being because they're ****ing loaded compared to graduates. Imagine telling a spark he had to wait for 10 years after he qualifed before he started earning a decent wage, he'd knife you. Yet graduates just take it on the chin, start on 23K and hope to possibly be in the mid 30's within 10- 15 years. While a spark is on 40k plus by age 23.

As a 25yo who graduated from college and is now working 4 years I think you are completely wrong. Fair enough there are certain courses that you will struggle to earn good money from when graduating but there are plenty, a hell of a lot more than just medicine / Law / IT that are very well paid even after a couple of years out of college.

Last time I checked the rate for a qualified electrician was €23 an hour hardly outrageous money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My career isn't progressing and I'm happy. No interest in going further up the ladder, and never really have had much interest in it either.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Technology consistently changes and you have to continue to learn new things, if you want to keep your job and/or progress.

If you aren't into technology and constant learning and just want to move to a sector just for the money your not going to be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm always saying it if my wife and I had the chance for a do over she'd of done hairdressing and I'd have done carpentry. Our friends have those professions, and they are ****ing loaded. Paid cash for there house and cars. It's hard work but more people should be looking at practical trades, you get paid good money early and have a high demand skill that is useful anywhere in the world. Most the courses in 3rd level are just letters to add to your name.

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm always saying it if my wife and I had the chance for a do over she'd of done hairdressing and I'd have done carpentry. Our friends have those professions, and they are ****ing loaded. Paid cash for there house and cars. It's hard work but more people should be looking at practical trades, you get paid good money early and have a high demand skill that is useful anywhere in the world. Most the courses in 3rd level are just letters to add to your name.

100 percent.

Mate of mine worked in the mines in Australia for about 3 years on and off, bought a house in Meath outright from his savings. Doesn't even work full time per say, dips in and out of agency work for a few months whenever he feels like it, works in Norway and Switzerland for a few months the odd time, then him and the wife go travelling through Afirca and South America for a few weeks.

He never even sat his junior cert,

• Registered Users Posts: 24 thenetherrealm

Not really happy, just safe.

Primary teacher. round 40k a year. No bonuses, very very limited career progression, and can't change fields as both my degrees are aimed at primary education. Wish I could do it all over again, but I will just have to make do at this point.

CIP4 wrote: »
    As a 25yo who graduated from college and is now working 4 years I think you are completely wrong.

How much are you on out of interest?

I'll never forget a girl telling me her newly graduated brother was on 25k and she thought it was great money compared to herself and anyone else she knew from college.
    Last time I checked the rate for a qualified electrician was €23 an hour hardly outrageous money.

That's nearly 50K a year. No small peanuts.

If you had the opportunity to do nights you could be on 50 quid an hour.

Sparks also have the opportunity to work for mental money in Scandanavia, Switzerland, Northern Canada, North Sea oil rigs.

How many 23 year old literature graduates from UCD will ever get the chance to work in Zurich for 80 euro an hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Where are all these hairdressers on big money? My partner is a hairdresser on pennies.. What is the expected salary of a hairdresser? I would have assumed she would have a pretty low ceiling

rob316 wrote: »

Your also looking at emigration or years with no regular work unless you have enough contacts once there is a crash. Of the apprentices that my dad trained while he was with Crampton in the 70s all but one had to permanently emigrate in the 80s and haven't returned since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

How many 23 year old literature graduates from UCD will ever get the chance to work in Zurich for 80 euro an hour?

All you need for that is to apply for junior business analyst or researcher job with Google, in Zurich or elsewhere. I personally know several humanities graduates with similar paths. It's less about the background and more about the will to grab opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Not really happy, just safe.

Primary teacher. round 40k a year. No bonuses, very very limited career progression, and can't change fields as both my degrees are aimed at primary education. Wish I could do it all over again, but I will just have to make do at this point.

Start at 9:30, finished at 3. One of the easiest degrees to get. Home to do the milking in the evening or get the Guard his supper. Gold standard for mortgage security and two months off in the summer to travel or go bailing? How did it go wrong for you?

Danger781 wrote: »
    Where are all these hairdressers on big money? My partner is a hairdresser on pennies.. What is the expected salary of a hairdresser? I would have assumed she would have a pretty low ceiling

There is no money in hairdressin', its owning a hairdressers that makes money.

strandroad wrote: »
    All you need for that is to apply for junior business analyst or researcher job with Google, in Zurich or elsewhere. I personally know several humanities graduates with similar paths. It's less about the background and more about the will to grab opportunities.

The vast majority of people working for the likes of Facebook and Google are on poverty wages.

Plus, you have to work with the dry arses who get jobs in these places.

I do see them on their bikes in town. I see how they dress.

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 thenetherrealm

Start at 9:30, finished at 3. One of the easiest degrees to get. Home to do the milking in the evening or get the Guard his supper. Gold standard for mortgage security and two months off in the summer to travel or go bailing? How did it go wrong for you?

I'm not here to argue with anyone about the requirements and job responsibilities of a primary teacher. From your tone, you are one of the posters that has an issue with teachers, and I'm not here to debate your prejudices. I only answered the thread questions.

Everyone wants different things from a job. Some people do enjoy the holidays we get. I would give those up for a job that offered higher pay and/or travel opportunities.

I'm not here to argue with anyone about the requirements and job responsibilities of a primary teacher. From your tone, you are one of the posters that has an issue with teachers, and I'm not here to debate your prejudices. I only answered the thread questions.

Everyone wants different things from a job. Some people do enjoy the holidays we get. I would give those up for a job that offered higher pay and/or travel opportunities.

But you knew all that when you applied to MaryI/St Pats. It just seem to you far off fields seem greener. Most teachers I know wouldn't survive in industry and they are both family members and friends.

The vast majority of people working for the likes of Facebook and Google are on poverty wages.

Plus, you have to work with the dry arses who get jobs in these places.

I do see them on their bikes in town. I see how they dress.

No thanks.

Yeah I would rather work with people who nick other people's tools, especially the apprentices tools.

You obviously taken one two many shocks if you think that the majority in Google or Facebook are on poverty wages.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Yeah I would rather work with people who nick other people's tools, especially the apprentices tools.

You obviously taken one two many shocks if you think that the majority in Google or Facebook are on poverty wages.

A great deal of Facebook staff are via agencies. A lot of them would be lucky to get 24k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

A great deal of Facebook staff are via agencies. A lot of them would be lucky to get 24k.

That's their outsourced ad sales or video reviewers, and it's not 24k either.
    For business or technology roles you're looking at 60k starting, as in junior. And no need to leave the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement