Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Out of Season 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

DvB wrote: »
    Love actually on tonight at 9pm on comedy central.

Was on again last night. Managed to resist the temptation though :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Just out of curiosity, what story is everyone's favorite story in Love Actually?
    Mine is Colin Firth and the Portugese maid :)

Also two Christmas episodes on telly last night. At about 6pm there was a Christmas edition of something called "Save Money, Eat Well"? The chef had to make Christmas dinner for a family of 8 for less than a fiver a head.
    At 10pm on E4 , the Christmas edition of The Inbetweeners was on.

Two totally different types of shows I'll grant you.

Just out of curiosity, what story is everyone's favorite story in Love Actually?
    Mine is Colin Firth and the Portugese maid :)

Also two Christmas episodes on telly last night. At about 6pm there was a Christmas edition of something called "Save Money, Eat Well"? The chef had to make Christmas dinner for a family of 8 for less than a fiver a head.
    At 10pm on E4 , the Christmas edition of The Inbetweeners was on.

Two totally different types of shows I'll grant you.

always disliked the Liam Neeson one, and the one with yer man heading to Milwaukee and pulling every c list celeb with a pulse.

Dont like the kiera Knightley one either. That whole video thing and banoffi pie and the craic with the cards... nah.

Love the Bill Nighy (billy mac) one, and the colin Firth one. And surely everyone likes the high grant one? The emma Thompson and laura linney ones I find sad but add a good balance.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In Love actually I like Natalie and the Prime Ministers story. I just love the swearing and banter between them. Whist it's totally unbelievable.

The are lots of elements in the film I like such as the weekly count downer in it and the generally vibe. It's not to American.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Totally too late to push this.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/christmas-in-may-tickets-104233083960

but there is a Christmas in May event tonight for the Simon community. I say it would be great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Was a movie day yesterday afternoon and Elf1 & 2 picked out Muppets Christmas Carol to watch :)

Really cheered me up.

Was down doing the weekly grocery shop on Friday evening & joined the queue outside dunnes stores a far bit away from the entrance, the queue moved quickly enough though so no real trouble, thing was I was stopped for a bit outside CAssidy Travel and they had a poster in their window or trips to Lapland to see Santa for Christmas 2020... I thought to myself, whoa thats early, then copped, its May, and with these trips far from cheap you'd need to be planning that a few months in advance... still, was nice to see a christmas poster already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Found these on H&M:

https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0813300001.html

I debated getting them.....

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Found these on H&M:

...Did you get them? :D I'd be tempted myself but am only allowed window shop this week.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Found these on H&M:

Half the sizes sold out so lots of people cheering themselves up :D

Hope you and the little one are doing well CL and you're getting some sleep!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

...Did you get them? :D I'd be tempted myself but am only allowed window shop this week.

No :( I decided I had better stick to getting some clothes for now that might actually fit me...I'll defo revisit them closer to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Listening to Radio Nova yesterday morning, and they played a clip of Silent Night. Apparently Bing Crosby recorded it on June 8th in 1942!! I wouldn't usually be one for listening to Christmas Carols in June, but it's nice to unexpectedly hear a clip of one at any time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Think I'm gonna listen to some Christmas tunes tonight on spotify, to remind me of days gone by and of hopefully better days to come and an amazing Christmas 2020 :)

leahyl wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna listen to some Christmas tunes tonight on spotify, to remind me of days gone by and of hopefully better days to come and an amazing Christmas 2020 :)

Christmas FM app is also good for that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Needed something fluffy to watch. Found I'd recorded RTE's Christmas panto as my neighbour's little girl was in it and some of my friends. So leaving aside that it's a Tuesday in June, lunchtime and I'm 43 I've put it on. Even leaving the ads play :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Listening to Radio Nova yesterday morning, and they played a clip of Silent Night. Apparently Bing Crosby recorded it on June 8th in 1942!! I wouldn't usually be one for listening to Christmas Carols in June, but it's nice to unexpectedly hear a clip of one at any time of the year.

Love this bit of trivia and I love when you hear an unexpected clip of Christmas throughout the off season.

On that note, The Christmas song (sang by Nat King Cole) was written by Mel Torme in the middle of a blazing hot summer.

From wikipedia:

According to Tormé, the song was written during a blistering hot summer. In an effort to "stay cool by thinking cool", the most-performed (according to BMI) Christmas song was born.[1] "I saw a spiral pad on his (Wells's) piano with four lines written in pencil", Tormé recalled. "They started, 'Chestnuts roasting..., Jack Frost nipping..., Yuletide carols..., Folks dressed up like Eskimos.' Bob didn't think he was writing a song lyric. He said he thought if he could immerse himself in winter he could cool off. Forty minutes later that song was written. I wrote all the music and some of the lyrics."

Mad to think a song so identifiable with winter & christmas was conceived in the middle of summer, so its not just us here that think about Christmas all year round :)

Mad to think a song so identifiable with winter & christmas was conceived in the middle of summer, so its not just us here that think about Christmas all year round :)

Just wish I could turn my love of Christmas into something so famous and make a lot of money!!

Was doing my ironing yesterday and had the TV on in the background, ended up watching an only fools and horses Christmas special on gold, to be fair there's one on every other weekend but this was one of the specials actually set at Christmas with Slades merry Christmas being belted out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooooh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Am I the only one who thinks it should have a (festive) facemask :D

Adorable!
    Caranica wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks it should have a (festive) facemask :D

And LOL, but you can guarantee festive facemasks will defo be a thing this year!

Loughc wrote: »
    And LOL, but you can guarantee festive facemasks will defo be a thing this year!

I think Santa will have to wear one!

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-santa-wearing-a-protective-mask-on-a-car-park-in-the-uk-12116969.html

I see movies 24 (sky channels 325 & 326) switches to Christmas in July mode on July 1st...

I see movies 24 (sky channels 325 & 326) switches to Christmas in July mode on July 1st...

Nice :)

It’s most likely just for the month for Christmas in July.

Was channel surfing last night and came across Home Alone so though would have a quick watch just for old times sake. Was not Home Alone at all and some horror series about bad things that happen to people when they are home alone! (or so google told me). :(

Loughc wrote: »
    It’s most likely just for the month for Christmas in July.

To be fair unlikely they'd be changing over to christmas for 6 months of the year, that would be Christmas creep on steroids!!:D

To be fair i'm not a fan of the christmas movie channels, most of the films are really not that good, the Mrs watches the odd one, though I prefer to just repeat watch the old faithful classics myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Christmas product launch
    It' not a pudding, it's not mince pies...

It's a ..........vegan cheeseboard

Source:https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/applewood-to-launch-a-vegan-christmas-cheeseboard-with-three-new-flavours/

Applewood-vegan-cheeseboard.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement