Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish weather station info thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Certainly looks like one. Or it's a flower pot...

Newport was a warm outlier yesterday, a full degree higher than the next warmest station (Claremorris). If this is the automated station, I'd be interested to see what the climate station, with its dark gravel surface, read.

There was some discussion recently about the location of the Dublin Airport station now in relation to historically. Looking at the older OSI aerial imagery from back to 1995 nicely showed exactly where the previous sensor enclosure was located.

Up to 2004-06 it was exactly 2.23 km ENE of the current one, on open ground south of the control tower, and 130 m from the old runway 05/23. Some time shortly after 2006 it was relocated to its current location to make way for the construction of the new West Apron. I don't know of any station in the world that has had a station-relocation of 2.2 km, especially one that's not far from a coast and has now moved 25% further inland. It was 9.5 km from the nearest coast, now it's 11.7 km.

2004-2006

2006+

There are two "Phoenix Park" stations listed in the Met Éireann Historical Data section, one from 1829-2003 and the other from 2003+. Both have slightly different exact coordinates, with the former's showing near one of the oldest buildings on the site (as per the OSI.ie historical maps). Strangely, only the 2003+ data are available to download.

I assume the two different coordinates is an error? I think the station has been in the same place throughout its lifetime. The first set of coordinates doesn't seem to be a likely site, and the 1995 and 1999-2003 OSI aerial imagery both show a station in the current location (second set of coordinates, yellow arrow).

Incidentally, you can see that 40 m x 40 m building popping up 13 m from the station within the that same timeframe 1995-2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You need to select show closed stations to download the old manual one.

The old manual one is also available via here up to 1959.

• Advertisement
Advertisement