Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Whatever your politics this is not sustainable,

Why aren't Vulture funds just permitted to finance building at whatever incentive it takes but absolutely ban their owning Housing of any sort. Bad enough they are grabbing enormous amount of new builds, they have also taken possession of 10"s of thousands of mortgages from main street banks. Its a C*****F***

They are here because they sense value is to be had. A shortage of housing, steady rental income. Solutions are more balanced regional development and rent controls.

Not quite sure why they are buying mortgages given the protections given in the courts to defaulters. They must figure they can bypass these and get a return.

i love the disconnect between vulture funds and the ordinary person, wher do people think there pension funds are invested in ? they ae looking for high returns and you will find pension funds investing in these.

Quite and you'll regularly hear government messages that Irish people need to sink money into their pensions. Well all those who aren't on the cushion of a state job.

So on the one hand we're supposed to invest in pensions as the state pension is not as sustainable as it once was. But on the other, then decry the same pension funds investing in long term assets and label them 'vultures'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Furze99 wrote: »
    They are here because they sense value is to be had. A shortage of housing, steady rental income. Solutions are more balanced regional development and rent controls.

Not quite sure why they are buying mortgages given the protections given in the courts to defaulters. They must figure they can bypass these and get a return.

well at the haircut they are getting when they are buying them even with the hassle factor of defaulters they must reckon the return is there once they get the occupants out.

(cant wait for my haircut )

Edit: just looked 4% of my own pension fund is in property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

i love the disconnect between vulture funds and the ordinary person, wher do people think there pension funds are invested in ? they ae looking for high returns and you will find pension funds investing in these.

according to an irish times said in 2019 that pension funds had increased investment form 4 per cent to 25 per cent in vulture funds

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/vulture-funds-have-their-uses-1.3881542#:~:text=Yes%2C%20really.,world%20invest%20in%20vulture%20funds.

so restrict them all you like and find your pension fund goes down

BTW "im allright jack" as i have paid off my mortgage and have second house rented out it was seriously tight going at times to pay the mortgage off by 49 though ! house didnt have a tiled floor for 8 years just bare concrete

I suspect the ordinary couple trying to buy a house at the moment are not terribly concerned where pension funds put their money. I think most sensible people understand what is going on. I'm not for a second suggesting stopping inward investment, my point is should they be allowed to have their cake and eat it.

If it's government policy to create a model we're people can become life long tenants, fine but is it so bad to aspire to owning your home?

In essence a situation is being permitted whereby few if anyone can purchase a new home and I've no doubt Rents will become extortionate albeit many would argue they already are.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

according to an irish times said in 2019 that pension funds had increased investment form 4 per cent to 25 per cent in vulture funds

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/vulture-funds-have-their-uses-1.3881542#:~:text=Yes%2C%20really.,world%20invest%20in%20vulture%20funds.

so restrict them all you like and find your pension fund goes down

BTW "im allright jack" as i have paid off my mortgage and have second house rented out it was seriously tight going at times to pay the mortgage off by 49 though ! house didnt have a tiled floor for 8 years just bare concrete

I doubt Round Hill Capital who bought that estate in Maynooth have anything to do with pension funds of the ordinary Joe. Spare cash of millionaire American clients, yes.

jay0109 wrote: »
    I doubt Round Hill Capital who bought that estate in Maynooth have anything to do with pension funds of the ordinary Joe. Spare cash of millionaire American clients, yes.

a quick google
    Round Hill Capital’s investor base includes some of the world’s most highly regarded private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, insurance companies and other institutions for whom the firm have a proven track record of delivering investment outperformance.

Maaaad

She was probably odd way before menopause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

That's a big mix of which pension funds play one part!

mgn wrote: »
    FG want another posh boy, cant have anyone rocking the boat,

Kate O'Connell is a millionaire.

I don't know anything about James Geoghegan — don't really care about who his parents are – but this sounds like a bunfight between two decidedly establishment figures, who would find it very difficult to relate to the thousands of people living in social housing and unaffordable housing in the constituency, who never get a mention in this media funfair.

(Not aiming that comment as a criticism at you, your subject just reminded me how detached this contest is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Kate O'Connell is a millionaire.

I don't know anything about James Geoghegan — don't really care about who his parents are – but this sounds like a bunfight between two decidedly establishment figures, who would find it very difficult to relate to the thousands of people living in social housing and unaffordable housing in the constituency, who never get a mention in this media funfair.

(Not aiming that comment as a criticism at you, your subject just reminded me how detached this contest is)

What it really shows is Varadkar behaving like a spoilt brat. get a bit of criticism and your out, not a good sign in any leader.
    All he wants around him is lapdogs, I'm no fan of O'Connell, but she was right when she called them the choir boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Not related to vulture funds as such but a big problem historically is that property has been incentivised as the main investment class in Ireland. Not only do people spend almost all income on their primary housing they often put additional wealth into investment properties.

This diverts money from productive assets (eg small start ups or growing indigenous companies) into the property market.

Our economy is totally unbalanced - we have a big public sector and multinational companies but little focus on entrepreneurship.

What it really shows is Varadkar behaving like a spoilt brat. get a bit of criticism and your out, not a good sign in any leader.
    All he wants around him is lapdogs, I'm no fan of O'Connell, but she was right when she called them the choir boys
    I like her. She made a lot of good points, especially when she briefly mentioned a fairer society. When the subject drifted back to her career, my mind wandered.

I dont think local people care about her career. She was treated badly, but there are people living in tents along the canal in Ranelagh, or sleeping on the street where they never were. Other people's children cannot afford to buy homes. Nobody cares about Kate O'Connell's career when they wake up in the morning.

What a wasted interview, she could have had a big impact there. All we got was tattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Not really, same thing happened with the attempted push against Kenny. Backers like Fergus O'Dowd are only starting to be brought back into the fold.

B2021M wrote: »
    Not related to vulture funds as such but a big problem historically is that property has been incentivised as the main investment class in Ireland.

The land, the land, land & property - it's in our psyche both for rural and urban citizens. Not going to see much change there.

I've no major problem with large investment/ pension funds investing in Irish housing BUT and it's a big BUT, this has to be balanced with rent controls and the expectation of long term leases for tenants. We've sort of done one and ignored the other. Usual half arsed effort - should be fired for incompetence in running the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

As expected CB is like a dog with two tails that's locked in a butchers shop at the idea of salons opening up. Never mind that all other retail opens up today, Claire cares about flair for hair.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Today with Haire

She has the type of dead straight hair where a flaw in the cut would stand out, unlike myself where my frizzy hair is inherently flawed so that a messy cut causes bo remark to be passed :D

They wouldn't have to look to far to use up the spare vacinne, there was a wedding nearby :)

They wouldn't have to look to far to use up the spare vacinne, there was a wedding nearby :)

Thank you for coming to our wedding; please have a shot on us :pac:

Thank you for coming to our wedding; please have a shot on us :pac:

LOL :) just couldn't resist

• Advertisement

A library that allows somersaults, tell me more Claire :)

As they pass of some chick lit as a book club, there is a loud lawnmower working away in the background :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,743 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

As they pass of some chick lit as a book club, there is a loud lawnmower working away in the background :rolleyes:

Nice bit of alliteration there Losty, has to be lauded.

Nice bit of alliteration there Losty, has to be lauded.

Lousy lauding, you ludicrous layabout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think it’s becoming clear now that the show will have a definite “women’s issues” focus for the foreseeable.

I think it’s becoming clear now that the show will have a definite “women’s issues” focus for the foreseeable.

I think that became clear the minute Claire took over this show :)

• Advertisement

It'll need a month of Myles Dungan history shows to detox it at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Use a clean cloth to clean your kitchen!
    I’d never have copped that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭cozar

Cleaning tips now for all the lady listeners. As a woman this is just my kind of topic on a prime time news slot. Sudsy sponges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Minimum 50% household/fashion/hairdo tips kinda show now.
    Sigh.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,743 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

archfi wrote: »
    Minimum 50% household/fashion/hairdo tips kinda show now.
    Sigh.

Yes , has taken a swing in that direction.

Not a two hours that one puts in ones diary anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

I would derive great pleasure from giving an allmerciful kick in the hole to whoever came up with those words..... "glamping" and"staycation"

'allmerciful' ? - looks like a blendword from 'almighty' and 'unmerciful'

[- ironic , since ' glamping and 'staycation' are also blends !:D ]

Hard disagree with Karl Deeter's supply-side economic outlook, but he's a very good contributor, useful for spotting glitches in policy. It's very good when a guest forces you to re-think an opinion you had firmly held. Maybe he should have his own programme.

We could get rid of a half-hour of housework tips perhaps.

A favourite of mine in Gick, pretty much sums up this show :)

This bit on local slang/ language is fascinating. Very interesting. Who is the traveller guest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Yeah, I don't mind this actually.

Far better than contributors with distinctive double barrel surnames who tell us to use a clean cloth. For cleaning.

Wick!!! This is getting on my Wick :)

I'm hiking outta here

Harry McGee is no stranger to Conamara. He has very nice Irish too. He knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

More vacuous nonsense.

Harry McGee is no stranger to Conamara. He has very nice Irish too. He knows what he's talking about.

Yeah but Roz Purcell on hiking?

And as for Catherine the clueless DIY blogger; she sounds and comes over as if she's a 4th year schoolkid thats doing a blog for her project in Transition Year.

• Advertisement

And as for Catherine the clueless DIY blogger; she sounds and comes over as if she's a 4th year schoolkid thats doing a blog for her project in Transition Year.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Was that who the other guest was? I'm not sure who she is, sounds vaguely like an RTE celebrity.

McGee's contribution was good though. He should replace John G O'Dwyer's Irish Times articles if he ever decides to give up the politics.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Mind you she had a good grasp of many standard DIY terms; decluttering, upcycing and buying cuddle cushions in IKEA :rolleyes:

Was that who the other guest was? I'm not sure who she is, sounds vaguely like an RTE celebrity.

Yep, she's just another Instahun.

Pascal certainly has his hands full

Absolutely disgusting this attack on health systems IT infrastructure, the lowest of the low.

I doubt very much we'll be told if a ransom has been demanded and definitely won't be told if one is paid.

This only a day after a payment was made by a large Pipeline company in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

Oh god, this corrupt alcoholic on now.

Who's up next, Michael Lowry with some home improvement tips?

riewomann wrote: »
    Oh god, this corrupt alcoholic on now.

Who's up next, Michael Lowry with some home improvement tips?

LOL :) still don't get Bertie being courted for interviews, yes his contribution to the peace process acknowledged but my word, this guy has some dirty laundry, I just can't get Paddy the Plaster out of my mind. He certainly was the most Cunning and Devious of them all as another chancer, Charles J Haughey put it

Absolutely disgusting this attack on health systems IT infrastructure, the lowest of the low.

I doubt very much we'll be told if a ransom has been demanded and definitely won't be told if one is paid.

This only a day after a payment was made by a large Pipeline company in the states

not the first time either, seems like they didnt learn from the last one.

i have a pile of windows 7 machines in my office which we arent allowed to use as they arent secure anymore, we spent the money moving everything to win 10.

• Advertisement

not the first time either, seems like they didnt learn from the last one.

i have a pile of windows 7 machines in my office which we arent allowed to use as they arent secure anymore, we spent the money moving everything to win 10.

Odd as it seems, the fact the HSE IT systems are so antiquated ( as we're led to believe), might be a good thing in terms of minimising any damage.

I've a advent Netbook, still operating on XP Professional, apart from annoying update notifications, its still working brilliantly, only use it for bed time news browsing

Advertisement