Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Oh good god now every gobshyte who can't register in 5 minutes is going to call radio shows to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Poor old John sounds old enough to be preparing for his own demise than worrying about the flag being flown at half mast for Prince Philip's funeral.

Segment quickly abandoned as Andrea's feeble attempt to **** stir has failed - yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Poor old John sounds old enough to be preparing for his own demise than worrying about the flag being flown at half mast for Prince Philip's funeral.

Segment quickly abandoned as Andrea's feeble attempt to **** stir has failed - yet again.

Our native equivalent to uk "gammon", obsessed with nationalism and flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Fair play to yer man for trying to give a platform to the "national outrage" over littering, but if this objection to littering was truly "national" and widespread, we wouldn't have such a problem. We are truly filthy as a nation when it comes to litter...with no (collective) sense of responsibility or adhering to rules/laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

snobbery discussion now... sure tis only tuppence halfpenny looking down at tuppence as the man said..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Andrea always recycles topics from Newstalk Breakfast. They are then always recycled by Ciaran Cuddihy later that afternoon. Ciara and Shane went big on the postcode discrimination earlier today

has to be a dublin thing aping their anglo superiors from the home counties...

it doesn't seem like an irish thing at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nothing wrong with asking someone ‘what school did you go to?’. You might know someone they’d know if they went to good rugby school.

Common enough question around the corridors of UCD, back when I was there. Obviously, you’re not going to be any the “wiser” if you’re talking to someone from the country, or a northsider, but you still ask to be polite.

It’s the same as asking someone where they’re from. A mix of “curiosity” and common courtesy.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

She really strikes me as someone who is very low on stuff to talk about.

A big fan of recycling too i bet.

Also, this craic of her having not been back to BallyShannon since the start of lockdown. I know it's national radio and all but be a bit honest. It's like saying ye never mitched school or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

She really strikes me as someone who is very low on stuff to talk about.

A big fan of recycling too i bet.

Also, this craic of her having not been back to BallyShannon since the start of lockdown. I know it's national radio and all but be a bit honest. It's like saying ye never mitched school or some such.

You reckon she's lying?

Why would she do that?

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with asking someone ‘what school did you go to?’. You might know someone they’d know if they went to good rugby school.

Common enough question around the corridors of UCD, back when I was there. Obviously, you’re not going to be any the “wiser” if you’re talking to someone from the country, or a northsider, but you still ask to be polite.

It’s the same as asking someone where they’re from. A mix of “curiosity” and common courtesy.

never experienced it personally in Ireland. asking where you are from sure - but what secondary school you went to? who cares?

i couldn't tell anything about someone by what name they gave me in that situation... st theresas / st lukes - not a clue..

maybe if they said they were an old Etonian..

It depends, though. You'd use your common sense. You wouldn't ask someone in the queue at Centra, unless it's the UCD Centra; but you'd ask in other contexts, if searching for something to say.

That's one issue I have with these broad questions posed on radio discussions. There's no hard and fast rule. Most people know when to ask.

It depends, though. You'd use your common sense. You wouldn't ask someone in the queue at Centra, unless it's the UCD Centra; but you'd ask in other contexts, if searching for something to say.

That's one issue I have with these broad questions posed on radio discussions. There's no hard and fast rule. Most people know when to ask.

In Centra? God, no. They might reply ‘Kings Hos’, ‘Sanford Park’, ‘CUS’ or, if you’re very unlucky, ‘Gonzaga’.

Nothing worse than getting stuck with the Vinnie Murray “types”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

In Centra? God, no. They might reply ‘Kings Hos’, ‘Sanford Park’, ‘CUS’ or, if you’re very unlucky, ‘Gonzaga’.

But then you just tell them to hurry up and finish making your sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

I think andrea is trying but the show is just not suiting her. She needs to listen to people instead of interrupting people. And the ..I SUPPOSE. AND LUNCHTIME LIVE every second, is getting a bit much. Hopefully she'll get it rite eventually. Jasas it's bad atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just had my comment read out on Lunchtime Live (National Transport Museum) - first time to email any Newstalk programme - invited to go live but I declined for now as have done that and have the video and the t-shirt. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just had my comment read out on Lunchtime Live (National Transport Museum) - first time to email any Newstalk programme - invited to go live but I declined for now as have done that and have the video and the t-shirt. :D

Moncrieff read out a tweet of mine yesterday, welcome to the big-time Del Monte :pac:

Andrea Gilligan - "but shure look", she's pure shyte.

unbelievably painful on the ears.

an aural abomination.

[SNIP]
    Flagrantly abusing broadcasters' appearances is prohibited under the Charter. - Mod

good to see the MICA scandal get alot of attention. sounds horrendous

gourcuff wrote: »
    good to see the MICA scandal get alot of attention. sounds horrendous

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of complaints around the tax payer footing the bill but putting them on the housing list, and into temporary housing, isn’t going to save us much in the long run either.

Would be great if the builders/developers could be made pay for it.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Marc McSharry on Lunchtime Live... Is there no radio show safe from him. Anyway I'm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of complaints around the tax payer footing the bill but putting them on the housing list, and into temporary housing, isn’t going to save us much in the long run either.

Would be great if the builders/developers could be made pay for it.

Isn't it funny how those directly responsible get to walk away from the mess they created?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

meeeeh wrote: »
    Marc McSharry on Lunchtime Live... Is there no radio show safe from him. Anyway I'm off.

Him and Alan Kelly are just CONSTANTLY on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Who is the musical act ending this show??

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Adrian Kennedy in for Andrea today. Could be interesting to say the least.

Did I just hear Adrian Kennedy opening the show today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Beirut wrote: »
    Did I just hear Adrian Kennedy opening the show today

Yeah. Bizarre to hear! He's in for the full week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

He is 1000% better than the other one!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

glasso wrote: »
    Andrea Gilligan - "but shure look", she's pure shyte.

unbelievably painful on the ears.

an aural abomination.

[SNIP]
    Flagrantly abusing broadcasters' appearances is prohibited under the Charter. - Mod

Am I missing something here? He got red carded for describing her broadcasting skills? Isn't that one of the points of this forum?

please tell me there was something else. Just saw someone get carded on the golf forum for criticising Rory McIlroy's performance yesterday, so I genuinely don't know if any criticism of anybody for anything is now off limits

• Advertisement

Kumejima wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? He got red carded for describing her broadcasting skills? Isn't that one of the points of this forum?

please tell me there was something else. Just saw someone get carded on the golf forum for criticising Rory McIlroy's performance yesterday, so I genuinely don't know if any criticism of anybody for anything is now off limits
    Yes there was.

Advertisement