Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benefits of Public Sector over Private Sector

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

salonfire wrote: »
    I am not talking about the absolute numbers, I am talking about relative numbers.

We pay our public sector, relative to the private sector, far more in Ireland than other countries.

Or are you going to say other countries' public sector workers are not as educated as ours?

Maybe you should be arguing for private sector to pay more instead of the dog in a manger attitude

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am not talking about the absolute numbers, I am talking about relative numbers.

We pay our public sector, relative to the private sector, far more in Ireland than other countries.

Or are you going to say other countries' public sector workers are not as educated as ours?

Which is a silly argument to make as the private sector cover a far wider base. If you want a d1ck measuring contest, you need to compare like with like. Admin with admin, engineers with engineers, scientists with scientists etc.

My view, based only a narrow field view is admin tend to be better paid in the public sector (although the private sector has the opportunity if your really good to far exceed the public one). Technical roles depend on the sector, engineers have so many sub sections and pay disparity across the country that it really depends on where you live and the specifics of the job. Scientists are reasonably equal, public starts way higher but private finishes way higher, if your any good. There aren't many left on food service roles but the public sector barely scrapes the edge by including a pension. Facilities management, private trump's public but you need to be very good to get that high up. The list goes on, there are pros and cons to both, and if you understand how they operate and have a good manager, there isn't much difference. One only becomes worse than the other when you have a sh1t manager (or you are one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What's your data source to support that assertion? I presume you aren't pulling it out of your hoop, or conveniently forgetting the period since 2009, so put your source on the table.

I'll get the ball rolling for you with this:

https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/ijm/37/1/article-p51.xml?tab_body=fullHtml-75008

Here's the conclusion:

"However, based on the recent CSO calculations and the Report of the Public Service Pay Service Commission (2017), a number of patterns are clearly evident.

First, the average wage gap between the public and private sectors declined from a premium of about 24% in 2006, reaching parity or even a small discount in favour of private sector employees in 2014 (RPSPC, 2017: 52).

Secondly, the decline in the public sector premium was greater for men than for women.

Thirdly, the decrease in the positive wage premium for employees in the public sector was greatest among the higher deciles of the wage distribution and lowest among the lower decile earnings range."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Most of the higher paid in the private sector are self-employed.

All of the public sector professions are employees.

Private sector self-employed who earn the most money for their profession do not appear in stats for public vs private. They are on a ****ing fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

As a private sector guy I'm looking at one or two Public Sector people I know and I envy them somewhat. Yes it seems bureaucratic and all but at a certain point, i'd take a monotonous job at a certain salary over constant stress where you could potentially make more money. That's just me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As a private sector guy I'm looking at one or two Public Sector people I know and I envy them somewhat. Yes it seems bureaucratic and all but at a certain point, i'd take a monotonous job at a certain salary over constant stress where you could potentially make more money. That's just me though

You seem to think that public sector is less stressful than the private sector. I don't think this blanket view is valid when you review certain jobs in each sector and define what you mean by stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

kippy wrote: »
    You seem to think that public sector is less stressful than the private sector. I don't think this blanket view is valid when you review certain jobs in each sector and define what you mean by stress.

That's true but I'm just going off what the people I know have said and from their experience working as civil servants. I'm in a fairly stressful job and while its fine for the next few years I wouldn't want to stay there forever

That's true but I'm just going off what the people I know have said and from their experience working as civil servants. I'm in a fairly stressful job and while its fine for the next few years I wouldn't want to stay there forever

Yeah, again I suppose it depends on your definition of stress and each individual's ability to handle it amoung other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree with this - I mean would anyone see being an AP or PO (or even AO) in the public health division of the dept of health etc. as being low stress at the moment? there can be significant stress dealing with issues of national importance and citizens' lives including public finances, justice etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Agree with this - I mean would anyone see being an AP or PO (or even AO) in the public health division of the dept of health etc. as being low stress at the moment? there can be significant stress dealing with issues of national importance and citizens' lives including public finances, justice etc.

Nothing compared to the stress of working longer hours in the private sector , getting phone calls from customers out of hours, losing your income due to covid or other factors, race to the bottom, no pension, worrying about the future, pressure to take less sick days etc, business closing down etc.

addaword wrote: »
    Nothing compared to the stress of working longer hours in the private sector , getting phone calls from customers out of hours, losing your income due to covid or other factors, race to the bottom, no pension, worrying about the future, pressure to take less sick days etc, business closing down etc.

That's not reflective of all roles in the private sector...
    And what I say below is not reflective of all roles in the public sector.
    There are a lot of roles in the public sector where you literally risk your life and health on a daily basis. You deal with traumatic situations.

And again. You need to define stress and appreciate that people deal with it differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That's not reflective of all roles in the private sector...
    And what I say below is not reflective of all roles in the public sector.
    There are a lot of roles in the public sector where you literally risk your life and health on a daily basis. You deal with traumatic situations.

And again. You need to define stress and appreciate that people deal with it differently.

Agree - there are high stress jobs regardless of sector - many public servants in dept of finance etc could be working till 1 or 2am during budget time etc and be getting calls at all hours if there was an emergency situation.

There are also lower stress jobs regardless of sector.

Roles differ which is to be expected - it's not a public v private situation.

But that's based on business need! In the private sector, if there's no business need then there's no job, that should be a given, if you don't know that from the start it's not someone in the public sector's fault.
    In the public sector there is still a business need so people stay in their jobs to serve the public.

Why do these threads always take off when things get tight in the private sector? Oh I'm loosing my job so nurses and Garda should be paid less.

Treppen wrote: »
    But that's based on business need! In the private sector, if there's no business need then there's no job, that should be a given, if you don't know that from the start it's not someone in the public sector's fault.
    In the public sector there is still a business need so people stay in their jobs to serve the public.

Why do these threads always take off when things get tight in the private sector? Oh I'm loosing my job so nurses and Garda should be paid less.

So as school class sizes get smaller, you agreeing that the teacher should be laid off as the school amalgamated into another nearby school?

What's your data source to support that assertion? I presume you aren't pulling it out of your hoop, or conveniently forgetting the period since 2009, so put your source on the table.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/report-says-public-staff-earn-40-above-those-in-private-sector-1.3025373
    Public sector workers in Ireland earn 40 per cent more on average than their counterparts in the private sector, and that is before any allowance for their pension entitlements and job security is made, new research has found.

It also noted that public servants in Ireland were better paid on average than their counterparts in many other European countries. In the UK, average public sector wages are £26,200 (€30,800), which is on a par with what their counterparts in the private sector receive.

• Advertisement

Maybe you should be arguing for private sector to pay more instead of the dog in a manger attitude

Ireland is a small wet rock in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with no natural resources.

Among our biggest industries is fisheries, food and tourism.

Exactly how much wealth do you think is possible to extract and pay ourselves more? Are you willing to pay more for food?

It's only by our saving grace of cheap Corporation Tax that we are able to have any other type of industry and standard of living.

Why do these threads always take off when things get tight in the private sector?

So during downturns, the public sector can expect to be protected with additional borrowing to be paid for by future generation and during boom times, they can expect to gain from increases? Having your cake and eating it as well?
    Oh I'm loosing my job so nurses and Garda should be paid less.

Now you're getting it! Finally, the penny drops !!

Less people working means less taxes

So during downturns, the public sector can expect to be protected with additional borrowing to be paid for by future generation and during boom times, they can expect to gain from increases? Having your cake and eating it as well?

Now you're getting it! Finally, the penny drops !!

Less people working means less taxes
    The public sector aren't a single entity - there are no doubt many within it who expect the sun moon and stars, then there are far more realists I would expect.
    There is an acceptance that cuts will be made in numerous areas that will directly effect public sector wages and an acceptance that tax rises will happen that will affect almost everyone.
    This is and has been what has happened throughout the last number of decades and I don't see it being any different this time round - no matter what the borrowing profile and national debt restructing policies are.

jesus, third or fourth thread in a week

and only two or three protagonists

after no such thread for years, when things were back on track

it would almost ..... make one.....suspicious

jesus, third or fourth thread in a week

and only two or three protagonists

after no such thread for years, when things were back on track

it would almost ..... make one.....suspicious

Thanks for proving my point !!

No-one begrudges the public sector sustainable, affordable pay increases.

When the cost becomes too much - like in downturns - hard questions must be asked in terms of spending, like any Employer

Glad you agree !

• Advertisement

The public sector aren't a single entity - there are no doubt many within it who expect the sun moon and stars, then there are far more realists I would expect.
    There is an acceptance that cuts will be made in numerous areas that will directly effect public sector wages and an acceptance that tax rises will happen that will affect almost everyone.
    This is and has been what has happened throughout the last number of decades and I don't see it being any different this time round - no matter what the borrowing profile and national debt restructing policies are.

I agree. Some very hardliner unions - like teachers and the Garda should have been brought to heel when the chance arose. Tolerating any strike action from those groups should absolutely not have been tolerated and met with firm resistance. Unfortunately that did not happen.

Others then like low paid clerical staff, particularly those based in Dublin, absolutely deserve a cost of living allowance.

I agree. Some very hardliner unions - like teachers and the Garda should have been brought to heel when the chance arose. Tolerating any strike action from those groups should absolutely not have been tolerated and met with firm resistance. Unfortunately that did not happen.

Others then like low paid clerical staff, particularly those based in Dublin, absolutely deserve a cost of living allowance.

I am not sure what you are talking about to be honest.
    The Teachers and the Guards accepted many negative changes to their terms and conditions in last downturn.

in the entire social media realm, in any arena of human discourse, there is no line as weak and as pitiful as the "you agree with me!" or "declaring yourself the winner after talking quickly" method

you have demonstrated absolutely no basis for public sector pay having run anywhere untoward.

it hasnt yet been restored to pre 2012 rates

this is the third thread in a week, the arguments and facts are all there.

suffice to say that the public sector, as stated many times, is designed to withstand economic upheaval.

have a think why.

then consider how that means that it doesn't react to one single event by slashing salaries and jobs

and consider how that means that in a case where taxation raised is in freefall, there are other options than the above that are explored and chosen.

one line gotchas will look about as clever here as they do on the other threads

The Teachers and the Guards accepted many negative changes to their terms and conditions in last downturn.

Which were being rolled back with continued increments on top of across the board salary increases

Which were being rolled back with continued increments on top of across the board salary increases

that is not what increments are

and salaries are not yet restored, so increases is incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

What we're the negative changes teachers accepted? Croke Park hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just missed my reply overnight, rather than ducking it... Here it is again:

I'll get the ball rolling for you with this:

https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/ijm/37/1/article-p51.xml?tab_body=fullHtml-75008

Here's the conclusion:

"However, based on the recent CSO calculations and the Report of the Public Service Pay Service Commission (2017), a number of patterns are clearly evident.

First, the average wage gap between the public and private sectors declined from a premium of about 24% in 2006, reaching parity or even a small discount in favour of private sector employees in 2014 (RPSPC, 2017: 52).

Secondly, the decline in the public sector premium was greater for men than for women.

Thirdly, the decrease in the positive wage premium for employees in the public sector was greatest among the higher deciles of the wage distribution and lowest among the lower decile earnings range."

What we're the negative changes teachers accepted? Croke Park hours?

Pay cuts, croke park hours, higher student to teacher ratios, reduced pensions for new entrants, lower pay scales for new entrants....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Pay cuts, croke park hours, higher student to teacher ratios, reduced pensions for new entrants, lower pay scales for new entrants....

Similar to the rest of the PS.

So as school class sizes get smaller, you agreeing that the teacher should be laid off as the school amalgamated into another nearby school?

In the case of over quota during amalgamations the teacher would be redeployed to another school which is under quota.
    But if you want the whole sackcloth and ashes from the greedy overpaid teachers then sorry I'm not providing it.

Believe it or not there will probably always be a business need for teachers, and nurses...and guards you can't really compare them to Fletcher's or blacksmiths.

• Advertisement

Finally ... Onto the teacher bashing, the mask had slipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Finally ... Onto the teacher bashing, the mask had slipped.

An aside question - why is ‘teacher-bashing’ almost outlawed on boards? Fair enough, personal criticisms should be prevented, but any time a relatively benign criticism of the system is made, it’s shouted down until they close the thread.

If tourism totally collapsed, as it has over the past 3 months, should at least some of the many Failte Ireland employees not be put in the 350 per week covit payment, like nearly everyone else in the private sector tourism industry was instructed to be? Likewise with the 17000 Special Needs Assistants in the country, the majority of whom have assisted nobody in the past 3 months, and are now on another few months badly needed holidays?
    Likewise with some other public sector jobs, why should they be sheltered from stress and redundancy?

"We are all in this together" -not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

If tourism totally collapsed, as it has over the past 3 months, should at least some of the many Failte Ireland employees not be put in the 350 per week covit payment, like nearly everyone else in the private sector tourism industry was instructed to be? Likewise with the 17000 Special Needs Assistants in the country, the majority of whom have assisted nobody in the past 3 months, and are now on another few months badly needed holidays?
    Likewise with some other public sector jobs, why should they be sheltered from stress and redundancy?

Just STOP with the constant lies and bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

onrail wrote: »
    An aside question - why is ‘teacher-bashing’ almost outlawed on boards? Fair enough, personal criticisms should be prevented, but any time a relatively benign criticism of the system is made, it’s shouted down until they close the thread.

A bit of latitude is allowed as far as I can see, but the teachers a bit like nurses seems to attract an irrational hatred for some reason, letting it go on is just giving an outlet to ranting and resentment. Its the same with the public service there are posters with hundreds of posts all full of resentment of the above groups, so I can see why the threads are closed.

Just STOP with the constant lies and bull.

Just you STOP bullying, in that you attack the poster not the post.

Just you STOP bullying, in that you attack the poster not the post.

No I (and others) have repeatedly addressed the falsehoods in your many many many ridiculous posts yet you repeat the same crap ad nauseam as if it is fact. You know the situation re SNAs yet you continue try to propogate lies about them insinuating laziness and ineptitude. Not liking someone else's opinion does not constitute as bullying.

You refuse to engage in reasoned debate and argument instead accusing other postersfalsely of attacking you. You clearly are incapable of discussion so why do you continue to clog up a thread where reasoned discussion could proceed if you didn't insist on dragging it down as you did on another thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Ireland is a small wet rock in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with no natural resources.

Among our biggest industries is fisheries, food and tourism.

Exactly how much wealth do you think is possible to extract and pay ourselves more? Are you willing to pay more for food?

It's only by our saving grace of cheap Corporation Tax that we are able to have any other type of industry and standard of living.

What?

Fisheries represent less than 0.36% of the economy by GDP and 0.01% of our exports, it's nowhere near one of our biggest industries.

Agriculture is also far smaller than people make out, at 2%. One of our biggest agricultural exports is beef and it only counts for 0.51% of our total exports.

By a long shot our biggest industries are pharmaceuticals, med tech, IT etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

What?

Fisheries represent less than 0.36% of the economy by GDP and 0.01% of our exports, it's nowhere near one of our biggest industries.

Agriculture is also far smaller than people make out, at 2%. One of our biggest agricultural exports is beef and it only counts for 0.51% of our total exports.

This is the reasonn our GNI is a better indicator of our economy than GDP. Our software and pharma exports arent indigeneous. If the MNC's get scared and up sticks those exports go *poof* and ditto the jobs and corp tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

mariaalice wrote: »
    A bit of latitude is allowed as far as I can see, but the teacher a bit like nurse seems to attract an irrational hatred for some reason, letting it go on is just giving an outlet to ranting and resentment. Its the same with the public service there are posters with hundreds of posts all full of resentment of the above groups, so I can see why the threads are closed.

Yeah to be fair, there are plenty of raving lunatics out there, but it seems as if they're used as a reason to shut down reasonable discourse. It's not healthy

What?

I had no idea of this. Agriculture in particular, I expected to have made up amuch larger chunk of our economy. Really interesting how these misconceptions can be formed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,447 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So just to be clear, you definitely don't want the Failte Ireland staff to be working on how to prepare for the return of business?

And what's your source for your claim about SNA's - what information do you have about what the majority of SNAs are doing or not doing?

So just to be clear, you definitely don't want the Failte Ireland staff to be working on how to prepare for the return of business?

And what's your source for your claim about SNA's - what information do you have about what the majority of SNAs are doing or not doing?

Yeah, all 17,000 special Needs Assistants have been working very hard this past 3 months. And will do so over the next few months.

There are not quite as many in Failte Ireland but it is understood over the past 3 months each of them worked hard to contribute one word each to a document on how to prepare for the return of business.
    Meanwhile there is no tourism sector and nearly everyone else from the tourism industry is struggling on welfare.

We are all in this together - not.

Yeah, all 17,000 special Needs Assistants have been working very hard this past 3 months. And will do so over the next few months.

There are not quite as many in Failte Ireland but it is understood over the past 3 months each of them worked hard to contribute one word each to a document on how to prepare for the return of business.
    Meanwhile there is no tourism sector and nearly everyone else from the tourism industry is struggling on welfare.

We are all in this together - not.

What should have happened then, in your own opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Retailers accept job security as payment for goods and services.

My bank doesn't need cash for my mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

purifol0 wrote: »
    This is the reasonn our GNI is a better indicator of our economy than GDP. Our software and pharma exports arent indigeneous. If the MNC's get scared and up sticks those exports go *poof* and ditto the jobs and corp tax.

And if they don't?

While GDP is a distorted measure alright, it makes no sense to not count huge sectors as part of the economy just because they aren't indigenous. They create value for their company here, create jobs here, pay tax here, buy from companies here, export from here etc. They are part of the economy no matter what.

I'd be interested to see any measure (GDP, GNI, XYZ) where fisheries or agriculture come anywhere close to being our biggest industries.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Retailers accept job security as payment for goods and services.

My bank doesn't need cash for my mortgage.

Thanks for pointing out another benefit of the PS we all overlooked !!

When applying for a mortgage, those in the PS are more likely to be given an exemption to the 3.5x salary rule by the banks.

This makes it easier for public servants to get on the property ladder than those in the private sector on the same salary.

Again, another benefit the PS enjoy but we rarely hear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

And if they don't?

While GDP is a distorted measure alright, it makes no sense to not count huge sectors as part of the economy just because they aren't indigenous. They create value for their company here, create jobs here, pay tax here, buy from companies here, export from here etc. They are part of the economy no matter what.

I'd be interested to see any measure (GDP, GNI, XYZ) where fisheries or agriculture come anywhere close to being our biggest industries.

While it wasn't me who cited those figures the use of GDP reminds me of two phrases: "fur coat and no knickers" and "when the tide comes in we can see whose been swimming naked". Irelands reliance on multi nationals to fuel massive spending on its huge public sector workforce and almost equally expensive welfare state is a well known risk with no mitigations or fall back plan, should the EU decide to call time on our MNCs tax arrangements. No matter how legal we make them.

"Yeah, all 17,000 special Needs Assistants have been working very hard this past 3 months. And will do so over the next few months.

We are all in this together - not."

What should have happened then, in your own opinion?

Those people the Government sent home and who have been doing nothing this past 3 months in the public sector should be on €350 a week, same as the hundreds of thousands of other people from the private sector the Government sent home and gave €350 a week.

We are all in this together. No?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just missed my reply overnight, rather than ducking it... Here it is again:

Thanks for that, interesting paper.

Shows what we pretty much know really, the public sector wage bill was a runaway train in the 00s.

Then into the early 10s, the public sector escaped the worst of the recession by coming out with in favour albeit with a narrower difference.

To be fair, the difference does seem to have narrowed in recent years.

So for most of the previous 20-odd years, the public sector enjoyed greater earnings apart from the recent boom in the last few years.
    If there is another recession like is forecasterd the PS will likely regain the advantage again.

But you conveniently forgot to mention the comparison in your figures deducts the PS pension contribution first, then makes the comparison to salaries.
    journal wrote:

More recent calculations from the CSO (2017) reveal similar trends for the years 2011–2014. Results for the OLS model for gross weekly earnings (deducting the pension levy and excluding size) shows a pay differential for the public sector ranging from 3.2% in 2011 to a negative gap (–0.4%) in 2014. The differential is greater for women, ranging from 10% in 2011 to <8% in 2014. Quantile regression results show that the wage gap (with the pension levy deducted) for gross weekly earnings between 2011 and 2014 was the highest (and positive) for public sector employees at the lower end of the earnings distribution and negative at the higher end. For example, in 2014, there was a positive wage gap of 11.2% in favour of public sector employees at the 10th decile (the lowest paid), declining to a negative gap of –12.5% at the 90th decile (the highest paid). Again, the pay differential was more positive for women than men.

• Advertisement
Advertisement