Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Irish Fjord Swim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Pm1e wrote: »
    I sure did, an absolute cracker of a day, weather was fab, spirits were high. Came in 7th overall so feeling good for next week. I am fairly sure it wasn't 1.5km but a great day out non the less.

Yeah I'd say more close to 900m if even....you in skins or wetsuit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Went with a wetsuit and regretted it the minute I put it on lol, far too hot for a wetsuit. one of the marshals said it was 1250, 250+500+500. Great fun and good to get out the week before the Fjord

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

really looking forward to this now, training gone really well and have a wetsuit now that has been tried and tested.

yeah it should be great, have you been pool training or sea or both?

Due to work and other commitments I have only managed the pool but was in it today in the wetsuit and it went fine

• Advertisement

Have a look on the faces of the first few in, it will give you a gauge of what water temps are like.... Good luck with it lads..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Hi? I have never swam in the sea however I have taken part in several river swims.

What conditions can I expect to face in Killary? Will the swell be an issue? Will it be very choppy?

Hey Kneejerk, I have absolutely no insight to the fjord swim. I guess it'd be something to ask a local or someone who has done it before. I know I'm just going to enjoy it no matter what. :D

kneejerk wrote: »
    Hi? I have never swam in the sea however I have taken part in several river swims.

What conditions can I expect to face in Killary? Will the swell be an issue? Will it be very choppy?

From memory last year I don't recall much of a chop, the only thing that really hampered me was sighting as the sun was coming up and shimmering off the sea in front of you. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you on Saturday. Also I just remembered from last year they made a hash of the results at presentation. I'm sure they will have it sorted this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

mad m wrote: »
    From memory last year I don't recall much of a chop, the only thing that really hampered me was sighting as the sun was coming up and shimmering off the sea in front of you. Hopefully the weather will be nice for you on Saturday. Also I just remembered from last year they made a hash of the results at presentation. I'm sure they will have it sorted this time.

Thanks MM.

Looking forward to this now.

• Advertisement

Come down with a bit of a cold, no surprises, half the office is snivelling, but nothing will stop me doing this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Pm1e wrote: »
    Come down with a bit of a cold, no surprises, half the office is snivelling, but nothing will stop me doing this. :D

Double dose of warm berrocca with honey time!!

All over it pal. Lemon in water, OJ, Berocca, Honey, hammering the bugger cold :D

Heading to Galway tomorrow so packing the bag tonight, starting to feel very real haha!

Headed myself tomorrow too, will get packing in the morning as dont feel great. As anyone pegged down a time their aiming for yet? I see last years winners hit 26mins, would that have anything to do with currents as that is pretty fast. I'm aiming for anything in between 30-33mins

I believe the 2nd wave had a much better tow than 1st last year. Can't remember who won it last year but it was close between Kevin Thornton for 2nd.

I believe the 2nd wave had a much better tow than 1st last year. Can't remember who won it last year but it was close between Kevin Thornton for 2nd.

better tow?

A 50 hour work week has left me panicking about logistics picking buses to coincide with train arrivals. Bus Eireann service is useless so going with citylink which drop me at maam cross

biomed32 wrote: »
    A 50 hour work week has left me panicking about logistics picking buses to coincide with train arrivals. Bus Eireann service is useless so going with citylink which drop me at maam cross

Taken the day off work?

Yea, I have a day off tomorrow and off sat and sunday. I think there is a bus service from Maam to Leeanne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

looking forward to this now

I'd offer a seat Biomed but I am all full up. Hitting the road in the next few hours. :D

Well how did you get on?

Swam in second wave. think I finished high enough in the wave but not sure overall. Clock said 44mins something when I face planted the mat on the way in. Was well dizzy getting out of the water. Found it to be very well organised, great atmosphere and craic on the bus and boat on the way out. took it at a steady pace and ended up in the first few back in the 2nd wave. Very happy with how it went but felt faster than the time on the clock. Apparently the tide was on the way out so alot slower than last year. Didn't feel cold at all once settled in the water. Have to say it was one of the most enjoyable events I entered all year so thanks to Gaelforce for a very enjoyable morning :)

Swam in second wave. think I finished high enough in the wave but not sure overall. Clock said 44mins something when I face planted the mat on the way in. Was well dizzy getting out of the water. Found it to be very well organised, great atmosphere and craic on the bus and boat on the way out. took it at a steady pace and ended up in the first few back in the 2nd wave. Very happy with how it went but felt faster than the time on the clock. Apparently the tide was on the way out so alot slower than last year. Didn't feel cold at all once settled in the water. Have to say it was one of the most enjoyable events I entered all year so thanks to Gaelforce for a very enjoyable morning :)

Spot on Stampy, was in wave 2 myself and came in with clock on 41. certainly felt my pace was faster than that but also heard the tides turned when wave 2 began. I placed 5th in wave 2 but irrespective of standings, the event, the people, the conditions were all great. I'll be doing this again next year for sure and making a weekend out of it, had to travel back up this evening and totally shattered. Well done everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Agree with you both, it was an excellent race .. very well organised. I was in the 3th wave, found the first part difficult and fairly rough but once I got past the third buoy it seems to settle a good bit! water was warmer than I expected..
    Oh and they didn't give people enough time to get over to the start line, the last few people had to swim an extra 150 meters or so as the boat was pulled out a bit and the started the race before they where anywhere near the start line.
    I thought I was moving well but the time on the clock showed I wasn't as fast as I thought!

are the times up anywhere?

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Agree with you both, it was an excellent race .. very well organised. I was in the 3th wave, found the first part difficult and fairly rough but once I got past the third buoy it seems to settle a good bit! water was warmer than I expected..
    Oh and they didn't give people enough time to get over to the start line, the last few people had to swim an extra 150 meters or so as the boat was pulled out a bit and the started the race before they where anywhere near the start line.
    I thought I was moving well but the time on the clock showed I wasn't as fast as I thought!

are the times up anywhere?

yeah it just goes to show how strong that tide became that even the boat was drifting that fast. Times due to be published by lunch tomorrow according to their Facebook page.

Results are up http://www.thegreatfjordswim.com/en/comp_info/prizes_results.html#/en/comp_info/prizes_results.html

Finished a couple of mins faster than I thought so happy out. Gona do more open water stuff next year, seriously enjoyed it.

No surprise there with Chris Bryan winning it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

No surprise there with Chris Bryan winning it....

Just saw that myself , nice to have that yardstick to measure against! Great event

Advertisement