Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Here's a screen grab of the Davies intercept. At this point, Genia has the ball in his hands and Davies (bottom of picture) is sprinting forward.

Even at this point it's marginal as to whether he's in front of the hindmost foot but a half second earlier I'd say he was most likely onside.

491851.png

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Here's a screen grab of the Davies intercept. At this point, Genia has the ball in his hands and Davies (bottom of picture) is sprinting forward.

Even at this point it's marginal as to whether he's in front of the hindmost foot but a half second earlier I'd say he was most likely onside.

491851.png

If you look at davies in line with the ref and vs the rest of his defensive line you would have to say hes offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

491851.png

Is it even 'marginal' there?

What errors though?

His interventions (or the TMO) had a big bearing but he got them all correct IMO

Davies was offside.

Totally disagree with the penalty for the fend. That's game changing for the sport if that is the standard.

Wales were offside repeatedly without penalty, both resulting in a try and Tipuric in front of the posts in the latter stages. The penalising of Kerevi when he immediately stepped back was a huge shift given the pressure Wales were under and it was completely inconsistent.

I don't know what the point of touch judges are. Wales were smart in that they paid attention to where Poite was and what he was watching but the touch judges never helped him.

Poite the difference between the teams today.

The refereeing this tournament has actually scuppered my enjoyment. I'll watch what's left of Ireland games but I'll save myself the frustration otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The offside line and in from the side at ruck time are just not being policed in any game at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

England vs Australia QF it's looking like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

PTH2009 wrote: »
    England vs Australia QF it's looking like

You would think so on form but the England - France match could be a closer affair than many think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is it even 'marginal' there?

Ah here, take Tipuric as your marker for onside there and draw a line down perpendicular from the touchline. That is NEVER going to be given as offside

Davies was offside.

Totally disagree with the penalty for the fend. That's game changing for the sport if that is the standard.

Wales were offside repeatedly without penalty, both resulting in a try and Tipuric in front of the posts in the latter stages. The penalising of Kerevi when he immediately stepped back was a huge shift given the pressure Wales were under and it was completely inconsistent.

I don't know what the point of touch judges are. Wales were smart in that they paid attention to where Poite was and what he was watching but the touch judges never helped him.

Poite the difference between the teams today.

The refereeing this tournament has actually scuppered my enjoyment. I'll watch what's left of Ireland games but I'll save myself the frustration otherwise.

I'd say you're pretty much 100% percent wrong here, from where I was watching

And not directed at you specifically but I think whining about players being offside has quickly become the most annoying part of the sport for me. If not that, then just complaining about referees in general (although decisions on tackles in this tournament have been all over the place and deserved criticism).

For what its worth, the fend decision is not new at all. We had a player (Ryan Caldwell was it?) binned for almost the same thing on tour once. It has never been legal to fend to the face. However in that situation, I think I'd have preferred just a warning rather than a penalty, but neither decision is wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I don’t think Poite saw anything wrong with the fend. I think the TMO talked him into the pen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I don’t think Poite saw anything wrong with the fend. I think the TMO talked him into the pen imo
    ... the reason the fend was illegal was because he led with the forearm ..... into Patchell's upper body & throat ...... simple as! If JS had been on the receiving end I suspect you'd have a different opinion! He could easily have got a yellow for it .....these incidents hardly ever used to get picked up but with cameras everywhere & eagle eyed TMO's they are likely to become more common.

As for Davies being offside .... I would imagine the TMO took a look and saw nothing in it.

Some begrudging comments on here .... as per usual.

Davies was definitely onside. Brilliant stuff from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

... the reason the fend was illegal was because he led with the forearm ..... into Patchell's upper body & throat ...... simple as! If JS had been on the receiving end I suspect you'd have a different opinion! He could easily have got a yellow for it .....these incidents hardly ever used to get picked up but with cameras everywhere & eagle eyed TMO's they are likely to become more common.

As for Davies being offside .... I would imagine the TMO took a look and saw nothing in it.

Yeah you're dead right, all these people with no skin in the game are just biased against Wales.

It's nice to get your point of view as a non-Irish fans but maybe you should appreciate the same from non-Welsh fans? How would it look if we just called you a begrudger every time you made a comment about Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd say you're pretty much 100% percent wrong here, from where I was watching

And not directed at you specifically but I think whining about players being offside has quickly become the most annoying part of the sport for me. If not that, then just complaining about referees in general (although decisions on tackles in this tournament have been all over the place and deserved criticism).

For what its worth, the fend decision is not new at all. We had a player (Ryan Caldwell was it?) binned for almost the same thing on tour once. It has never been legal to fend to the face. However in that situation, I think I'd have preferred just a warning rather than a penalty, but neither decision is wrong there.
    There's a pretty good reason why people whine about it so much, it's barely enforced at times. Rucks, tackles, lineouts, scrums and passes get far more attention yet being regularly offside can affect a game far more.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's a pretty good reason why people whine about it so much, it's barely enforced at times. Rucks, tackles, lineouts, scrums and passes get far more attention yet being regularly offside can affect a game far more.

Referees are constantly communicating with teams about he offside line. Nearly every phase. Its that way today and its been that way for a long, long time

• Advertisement

TMOs have missed a whole host of citing offences so I wouldn't be holding them up as paragons of anything. Wales were efficient, Australia were sloppy. Neither was in any way brilliant but Wales nailed their points.

Referees are constantly communicating with teams about he offside line. Nearly every phase. Its that way today and its been that way for a long, long time
    Communicating and doing something about it are two different things. I think it's an area they are blind to personally and and only some will look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Communicating and doing something about it are two different things. I think it's an area they are blind to personally and and only some will look at it. I am hoping the new kicking rule might
    If a referee was to act every time they saw infringement of the laws there would never not be players being penalised.
    Its not that theyre blind to it. All too often people watching on tv or at games see someone straying offside but they will be completely immaterial to play so officials just wont sanction them as there is no reason to. They will talk/warn them to be careful but isnt need to do more.
    The 50-20 kicking law wont change too much

If a referee was to act every time they saw infringement of the laws there would never not be players being penalised.
    Its not that theyre blind to it. All too often people watching on tv or at games see someone straying offside but they will be completely immaterial to play so officials just wont sanction them as there is no reason to. They will talk/warn them to be careful but isnt need to do more.
    The 50-20 kicking law wont change too much
    They've addressed the tackle laws and it should not take a whole lot to look at this in a game as well. After the third penalty people will wise up.

Communicating and doing something about it are two different things. I think it's an area they are blind to personally and and only some will look at it.

What do you think is more likely: Every single elite referee in the world is either blind to or ignoring the same thing, or they are all actively reaching the same conclusion as to how that area of the game should be enforced?

Even if a team is 2/3 feet offside on every single phase, the difference is absolutely negligible in the greater scheme things. It's totally irrelevant unless players are gaining a real material benefit from being offside, which they'll get either by jumping early or by standing clearly out of the line. If both teams are a couple of feet offside on most phases, no one cares except fans shouting because its the bit of the game they notice*. Not from standing a couple of feet ahead of the back foot, which is totally irrelevant in the game unless you're on your own goal line. I find the whole reaction to it very annoying.

*Especially the very annoying subset who seem to shout it to prove they're paying attention at matches, you know the sort.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yeah you're dead right, all these people with no skin in the game are just biased against Wales.

It's nice to get your point of view as a non-Irish fans but maybe you should appreciate the same from non-Welsh fans? How would it look if we just called you a begrudger every time you made a comment about Ireland?

TBF, the average Irish fan is very anti-Wales when it comes to rugby. One thing I've never understood since living here. Have been given several different reasons, but none really make much sense.

Wales definitely had the benefit of some 50/50 calls in the match, but I wouldn't say there was any howlers in their favour. Probably the biggest one for me was Kepu's offside penalty for going early and immediately retreating, having absolutely no bearing on the play. Such a weird time to enforce offside.

What do you think is more likely: Every single elite referee in the world is either blind to or ignoring the same thing, or they are all actively reaching the same conclusion as to how that area of the game should be enforced?

Even if a team is 2/3 feet offside on every single phase, the difference is absolutely negligible in the greater scheme things. It's totally irrelevant unless players are gaining a real material benefit from being offside, which they'll get either by jumping early or by standing clearly out of the line. Not from standing a couple of feet ahead of the back foot, which is totally irrelevant in the game unless you're on your own goal line.
    Well given how well the elite refs have done so far in this tournament I'm going with the former! There's always an advantage even if it's just in terms of pressure even though it may have less effect the lower down in standard you go. For elite teams it is all about fine margins they can get legally or illegally. What's the point of having it if it's just going to be intermittently policed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They've addressed the tackle laws and it should not take a whole lot to look at this in a game as well. After the third penalty people will wise up.
    There isnt going to be any major look at it as it isnt the issue some make it out to be.
    Well given how well the elite refs have done so far in this tournament I'm going with the former! There's always an advantage even if it's just in terms of pressure even though it may have less effect the lower down in standard you go. For elite teams it is all about fine margins they can get legally or illegally. What's the point of having it if it's just going to be intermittently policed?
    Then you're completely wrong then.

As Irishbucsfan says its about material benefit. Most of the time the offside player isnt material so there isnt a sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dan Tuohy, I think.

What's the point of having it if it's just going to be intermittently policed?

Is the problem that it's intermittently policed or that all the elite referees are collectively blind to it? Because that seems like two different problems to me

Basil3 wrote: »
    TBF, the average Irish fan is very anti-Wales when it comes to rugby. One thing I've never understood since living here. Have been given several different reasons, but none really make much sense.

Wales definitely had the benefit of some 50/50 calls in the match, but I wouldn't say there was any howlers in their favour. Probably the biggest one for me was Kepu's offside penalty for going early and immediately retreating, having absolutely no bearing on the play. Such a weird time to enforce offside.

I live not far from the Welsh border and I can assure it's quite mutual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

Even if a team is 2/3 feet offside on every single phase, the difference is absolutely negligible in the greater scheme things. It's totally irrelevant unless players are gaining a real material benefit from being offside, which they'll get either by jumping early or by standing clearly out of the line. If both teams are a couple of feet offside on most phases, no one cares except fans shouting because its the bit of the game they notice*. Not from standing a couple of feet ahead of the back foot, which is totally irrelevant in the game unless you're on your own goal line. I find the whole reaction to it very annoying.

2/3 feet not making a difference... Professional sport is decided by 2/3 inches! If we want to see attacking play, all offside infringements have to be penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Bazzo wrote: »
    I live not far from the Welsh border and I can assure it's quite mutual :D
    That would be the border with our natural enemy ..... the rivalry with Ireland - certainly from my experience - is a more healthier one.

That would be the border with our natural enemy ..... the rivalry with Ireland - certainly from my experience - is a more healthier one.

I'm not English just living and working here, but I do have quite a few Welsh friends and colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I've enjoyed trips to Cardiff a lot more than Edinburgh for example.
    The Welsh are better craic and aren't carrying any chips on their shoulders. Good losers, good winners I've always found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

kuang1 wrote: »
    The Welsh are better craic and aren't carrying any chips on their shoulders. Good losers, good winners I've always found.

Opposite experiences for me to be honest. Done all six nations away trips, Cardiff is great ground wise but supporters interaction haven’t been the best and been there both when Ireland won and lost. It’s a minority everywhere to be fair incl dublin prob just been unlucky to run into minority more often in Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah here, it's very much requited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Davies was offside.

www.twitter.com/SouthTerracer/status/1178318057204269056/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

www.twitter.com/SouthTerracer/status/1178318057204269056/photo/1

Hah, that attempted line is classic.

He was onside though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How are Wales so immune to picking up quick yellow cards..? The yellow we got against Scotland for example, won't see the Welsh get one of those. Sexton got one in Cardiff a couple of years ago too. Wales give away three in their 22 before they get a warning.

AdamD wrote: »
    How are Wales so immune to picking up quick yellow cards..? The yellow we got against Scotland for example, won't see the Welsh get one of those. Sexton got one in Cardiff a couple of years ago too. Wales give away three in their 22 before they get a warning.

Your one against Scotland wasn't for repeated infringements though, was it? It was essentially for a professional foul, taking one for the team to prevent a very likely try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The welsh hate Ireland....just check any of the forum with a mixture of fans from around the world. This is type of post you will find
    “After Yesterday's Irish implosion I was happy! . . . But now? If my smile was any cheesier I'd be sponsored by Cathedral City!!”
    This was posted after wales won

Seems the welsh fans are bitter wee sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

kuang1 wrote: »

Not so sure about that.

Voted against us for 23, is all I'm sayin'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Voted against us for 23, is all I'm sayin'

As did our other "Celtic cousins" Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The welsh hate Ireland....just check any of the forum with a mixture of fans from around the world. This is type of post you will find
    “After Yesterday's Irish implosion I was happy! . . . But now? If my smile was any cheesier I'd be sponsored by Cathedral City!!”
    This was posted after wales won

Seems the welsh fans are bitter wee sheep

Our media make us look worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

... the reason the fend was illegal was because he led with the forearm ..... into Patchell's upper body & throat ...... simple as! If JS had been on the receiving end I suspect you'd have a different opinion! He could easily have got a yellow for it .....these incidents hardly ever used to get picked up but with cameras everywhere & eagle eyed TMO's they
    Just on this 'leading with the forearm' thing and not to disrupt the riveting conversation about intra-national hatred or whatever, but Poite disposed of that quickly by saying (quite correctly) that he was holding the ball to his chest at the point of initial impact. Now you can call that leading with the forearm, but you'd be effectively telling players to enter the tackle with the ball held somewhere else other than to the chest.

The penalty was given for what he did afterwards, which was to then push away with the forearm culminating with him pushing at his throat.

According to Michael Corcoran, the Yokohama stadium is like a sauna. The roof is closed and the temperature is 32° with humidity at 65%. Scotland play Samoa there this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

prawnsambo wrote: »
    According to Michael Corcoran, the Yokohama stadium is like a sauna. The roof is closed and the temperature is 32° with humidity at 65%. Scotland play Samoa there this morning.

Thought game is in Kobe?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thought game is in Kobe?
    You're quite correct. I took that from a hashtag Corcoran had in his tweet iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Samoans with two players suspended already. Dangerous feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Scotland putting in some big hits early on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So do we want Scotland to win or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

We want Scotland to win and ideally play very well. They can get to 15 points max. We can get to 16. Need Scotland interested and playing well ahead of Japan while also ending Samoa's interest

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So do we want Scotland to win or not?

If we want to top the group we need them to win, so they will be looking to beat Japan. Want to all but guarantee qualification then them to lose

• Advertisement
Advertisement