Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BJJ all that?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I must say I enjoyed watching last night the Gracie Jujitsu exhibition from Pride 5. Their technique was so amazing and fluid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Bump.

Did you watch any vids suggested? Has your opinion changed or stayed the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I can't get over that newaza stuff, it's awesome. I never even knew it existed either. Is all judo like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

that was a highlight reel of some international judo tournaments, it's really high standard stuff.

I don't know what you mean.

that was a highlight reel of some international judo tournaments, it's really high standard stuff.

I don't know what you mean.

What do you mean you don't know what I mean?

• Advertisement

Is your question, "is all judo like a 10 minute high light reel?". Then the answer is no. It's not like a high light reel. Cause a high light reel is a high light reel.

Is your question, "is all judo like a 10 minute high light reel?". Then the answer is no. It's not like a high light reel. Cause a high light reel is a high light reel.

I'm not stupid, of course that wasn't the question. I meant does all judo have such an emphasis on the ground game? Or is this just a special type of Judo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm not stupid, of course that wasn't the question. I meant does all judo have such an emphasis on the ground game? Or is this just a special type of Judo?

No, these where just the best in the world and are high class grapplers, Most Judoka are much better throwers than grapplers, depends on the clubs they come from-some prefer throws and hardly do rolling and others put more emphasis on submissions..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

The judo in that clip is the most standard judo around. Everything Cowzer said is correct imo. Kosen Judo exists but I don't think this is an example of such. Just remember, there may have been 5000 fights to get that 10 minute high light reel. In the same way, you could watch 50 MMA fights before you say a spinning back elbow or 100 before you see a flying triangle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Valmont wrote: »

While all judo schools will give time to groundwork - the level of groundwork is very basic. For example - alot of it revolves around control, rather than finishing.. Scarf-hold is popular, as a pin can mean a win.

Think for example, you're in a BJJ match - you pass guard, and hold side control for 10 seconds. It would be regarded as a win, so naturaly - in terms of competition, a strong side control is equally if not more important than submissions.

Judo groundwork is weird, especially in competitions. I got stood up, when I had someone's back, with one of their arms trapped with my leg as I was going for a RNC - all because it took me 10 or 20 seconds to setup.

I've rolled with some judo black belts, and those who do focus on ground work have SICK gi-chokes.. and great attacks at the turtle. I rolled with a french black belt and turtled, in the space of 5 seconds, he had me rolling in a 360, while slapping a gi choke on me.. I was dumbfounded. But then, in the guard - he seemed a little unsure of what to do.

So - it's strong in some areas, weak in others - but competitively, it totally revolves around the ref and how much time he decides to give you on the ground :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement