Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE want to close Aertel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I check the aertel more than I watch RTE, no joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I thought Aertel ended nearly 20 years ago? Wasn’t that the thing pre internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do you need an approved box for Aertel?
    Used to be dead handy for results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

So that was the plan all along: rural broadband was a cunning ruse to distract from scrapping aertel. Machiavellian subterfuge.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Aertel is still a thing ?

Anyone remember the quiz on the bbc one ? Think it was called bumblebee or something along those lines :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

How the **** do you get Aertel? 20 years ago there was a button on the remote. Now I've a smart TV and can get everything except Aertel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i think you need an approved Saorview box to get it? teletext, or whatever the old technology was called, was done away with when they went digital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You can get it online here:

https://www.rte.ie/aertel/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

beejee wrote: »

I genuinely do this too,
    It's on the app/site for those wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The early 90s called their looking for aertel

• Advertisement

The early 90s called their looking for aertel

Was it on a Nokia 6210i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You can get it online here:

https://www.rte.ie/aertel/

When you click on the page number ie. 220 for soccer it brings you just to the RTÉ soccer website, quite weird and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

touts wrote: »
    How the **** do you get Aertel? 20 years ago there was a button on the remote. Now I've a smart TV and can get everything except Aertel.
    Any TV including smart TV I've purchased still has a text button on the remote control and provided you have an aerial connected it should load the MHEG version of Aertel.

kneemos wrote: »
    Was it on a Nokia 6210i?

I'm not fully up on the numbers was that one gold front if so... Yes it yes it was as rte would have only had the best....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How on earth does it cost a six figure sum to operate yearly? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

sugarman wrote: »
    Aertel is Teletext, it went digital with the switchover.
    Wasn't it always digital, even in analogue TV days, just like the stereo audio carriers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Gonad wrote: »

Anyone remember the quiz on the bbc one ? Think it was called bumblebee or something along those lines :)

Bamboozle, was on c4's.

Why is it an attack on rural Ireland?
    If that's not a stupid question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Switch it off. Users will adapt in about 1 week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If you're a TD from outside Dublin wanting to stay in the headlines and get re-elected, it's crucial that your reflexive response to just about everything is to call it an attack on rural Ireland.

• Advertisement

Digital services without broadband.

On the cost there is presumably people or one well paid one employed to update it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

did they ever get rid of radio 1 on atlantic 252?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2 staff would cost that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Errortel more like ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Channel 4?
    sQREzCK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

beejee wrote: »

Can I ask why? Like what possible benefit does it have?

The only thing I could think of is that on the web there's so much stuff that you can get swamped pretty quick, while with aertel you're given just the essentials. But they would have to be really well-written.

Digital services without broadband.

On the cost there is presumably people or one well paid one employed to update it.

You can get the bloody thing on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

You cant get someone to scratch their arse in a semi state for less than €50,000 a year. There's probably a whole legacy department in RTE running aertel. Its a decrepit dinosaur from top to bottom and should be disbanded in its entirety. If the employees are as good as their pay cheques suggest they'll have no problem getting jobs elsewhere.

Be cheaper to give everyone broadband in the end...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

colm_mcm wrote: »
    2 staff would cost that

Do they have access to the VIP suites with solid gold toilet bowls and wipe themselves with Andrex puppies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

VeVeX wrote: »
    If the employees are as good as their pay cheques suggest they'll have no problem getting jobs elsewhere.

Good joke.

It’s prob there just to placate those senior people in society who maybe the internet never entered their lives and a couple of clicks of the remote can give them the football results, news, weather, lotto, racing etc... I doubt it will be there beyond the next seven or eight years as basically the generation who ‘need’ it will be dying out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Slap my ass and call me Sally - I thought that was abandoned years ago, maybe I'm thinking of the UK channels
    So many years ago last time I used teletext or rather decades ago - now I just ask Google and get the result in seconds. Who is still using this that doesn't have a smartphone or computer???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

road_high wrote: »
    I thought Aertel ended nearly 20 years ago? Wasn’t that the thing pre internet
    You can access the site online too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Oh no, I check Aertel from time to time...the last time being only back in 1998!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

fritzelly wrote: »
    Slap my ass and call me Sally - I thought that was abandoned years ago, maybe I'm thinking of the UK channels
    So many years ago last time I used teletext or rather decades ago - now I just ask Google and get the result in seconds. Who is still using this that doesn't have a smartphone or computer???

hey Sally

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

Doblin wrote: »
    RTE want to close Aertel but the plan has been described as an attack on rural ireland but an number of rural TDs https://www.thejournal.ie/aertel-rte-3974836-Apr2018/
    It doesn't mention rural Ireland or rural TDs in the article you linked. I'd say most of rural Ireland couldn't care less about Aertel.

Edit: the article you linked is also from Apr 28th 2018

Also don't RTE own the transmission infrastructure in Ireland so they are paying themselves to broadcast it
    Are they playing a blinder here by bleeding licence fee money to their corporate arm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not everybody embraces technology at the same rate. I got my first smartphone within the last year (well, 11 months ago actually), even though I got my first e-mail account in 1991.

• Advertisement

Not everybody embraces technology at the same rate. I got my first smartphone within the last year (well, 11 months ago actually), even though I got my first e-mail account in 1991.

Well sorry but the world has moved on and you can't continue to spend millions because a few people don't want to adapt - same goes with the LW radio
    Everyone had to go DTT - I don't remember a big outcrying from people. Another wasted opportunity - why could they not get an agreement in place for some UK channels or even some more Irish based providers? Well simple really they want to charge a fortune for giving you the privilege of being on the service. We were heralded with these promises of more channels - years later nothing has changed from having an aerial or getting the same channels through what is now VM or eir etc Uk has some 70 odd freeview channels - admittedly a lot of crap but there is a great choice

That's not to say RTE have any idea what adapting means. Maintaining the LW service for example for people who don't even pay the licence fee - tell me in what reality that makes sense? It's not small money that it costs either!

Spent a small fortune on their player which doesn't work but requires you to watch about 20 ads to watch the whole program if you are lucky to even get past the ads but are trying to convince the government they need more money to become a more online/digital service - if they can't get a simple player to work what chance do they have of even using more money to become a so called digital service

Bamboozle, was on c4's.

Ah yes :)

Suckit wrote: »
    Channel 4?
    sQREzCK.jpg

There’s a memory . Used to come home in a Friday night after 6 cans of Dutch and try concur that quiz

There’s a memory . Used to come home in a Friday night after 6 cans of Dutch and try concur that quiz

After 6 cans of that I'm surprised you could even read it

RTÉ being the ‘state’ broadcaster....I’d imagine if it was to be shutdown tomorrow you’d have the phone system on Joe Duffy almost on fire there....

“Joe, it’s all very well there up in Dublin with your broadhand Internet and the rest of it but aertel is of great comfort to us and a source of the news and everything without worrying about your wihi and all the rest of it.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

"An attack on Rural Ireland"

Will ya ever feck off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Always check aertel, then plug in the Main Frame( direct phone internet, separate line) and see if it's there before I head to the Post Office to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Bamboozle, was on c4's.

Takes me back. If you got one wrong you had to go all the way back to the start. I can't imagine kids these days having the patience for
    Bamboozle!

Remember using teletext services to check the weather abroad before holidays also.

sugarman wrote: »
    Aertel is Teletext, it went digital with the switchover.

BBC switched off their digital service just this week.

Ah, that would explain this latest original thought from cringe-inducing, pathologically anglocentric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ah, that would explain this latest original thought from cringe-inducing, pathologically anglocentric Ireland.

I’m not usually up this early on a Sunday, so you’ll have to excuse me if I’m picking this up wrong, but are you suggesting that the spineless West Brits in RTÉ made a decision to shut Aertel because the BBC did?

Would we have been somehow reasserting our identity by giving the two fingers to John Bull and keeping our Aertel alive? Finally, the soccer results page on Aertel is red, blue, and white. Like the colour of the butcher’s apron. Is this yet another example of our forelock tugging pathological anglocentrism?

So many questions, and it isn’t even 9am.

• Advertisement
Advertisement